“Pleasant, economical and accommodating...;o)” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
40% Summer Savings!
Ranked #24 of 91 hotels in Negril
Chicago, Il.
“Pleasant, economical and accommodating...;o)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I will give my full account of the room, customer service and anything else that I can offer that will help anyone that loves to travel as much as I do.

Travellers Resort is situated on the 7 mile beach strip in Negril and close by other well know resorts. I used a Groupon for this vacation and was given room #15 by the lobby listed as a superior room. The entire property has Wifi unfortunately my room did not. However, this by no means would allow me to rate the overall experience as an unpleasant one. I will say that for three consecutive days managers as well as the personable guest relations employee Tanisha were wonderful. They addressed my concerns and due to rain, my location, and other concerns I was unable to use Wifi services. This problem was resolved by either going to the lobby or bar area where signals were strong. My breakfast was included in the package I liked the fact that I wasn’t “locked” into the same thing each morning but given a menu to pick from daily. The servers were accommodating and respectful at all times. I highly suggest any omelet from the menu as well as natural fruit juice. I ate lunch/dinner here once and if you love seafood the coconut shrimp and conch burger are a MUST! The bar was always fully stocked and drinks were plentiful and not watered down.

I did utilize the pool and the beach is approximately 5 paces away from the dining area. They also have outlets there for cellphone charging as well as other devices which is a plus!
Also if you are staying here directly across the street you must try Fatty’s for food. Any meal purchased from brown stew chicken to steamed fish is not only economical but filling. I did not use the spa services via the resort but I was able to bring in someone from (Essential Care Spa) Sav La Mar close by to perform a massage in my room. If you are interested in those services please contact me via YouTube and comment with an email address.

My room consisted of two beds, a small kitchen area (fridge & microwave), large closet, flat screen TV as well as a hot plate. There was karaoke night as well as a managers reception with drinks and hors’ d’oeuvre. Directly across from the hotel are taxis that are willing to take you where you need to go at all times. I will suggest a driver who was respectful and accommodated during my stay here as well. In closing ,I would stay at Travellers Resort again because it was economical and the staff were available for any concern or assistance I needed. My linens were fresh, my room was cleaned daily. I will list below the drivers information, I used Clive's for airport which was very inexpensive $30 each way (single) my YouTube video of the room as well as pictures…Blessings

Driver: Andre's Taxi Service
Email: andrenegril@gmail.com
Tel: 1-876-580-4998/559-3730

Youtube video of the room link: http://youtu.be/ReZq7XneQSs

Room Tip: Room #15 is by the lobby but extremely quiet Attend all resort functions esp. when free drinks are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thanks for choosing Travellers Beach Resort and for your in-depth review. We do have free wireless throughout the property and in all guests rooms. I apologize for the temporary downtime that we had in your section during your stay. We've recently replaced the faulty equipment that was affecting internet access. I'm glad our team was able to address your concerns in a satisfactory manner. You left some great tips that I'm sure will be appreciated by future visitors. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay overall and that you would return.

439 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I can't describe the beauty that you see your first time you go to breakfast! You can't help but pause and look at a distance to the ocean wow! Second your so close to town that you feel like you live there for the week. The people there are very friendly but just be careful at the ATM bring back up for assurance! My favorite was taking a walk down the beach and getting buzzed out then returning back and going out for some jerk chicken at 3 dives the best food in town and most affordable hands down !

• Stayed April 2013
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thanks for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and found everyone to be friendly. We are fortunate to be in a great location that is within walking distance to the town and many daytime and night time activities. There is also an ATM at Time Square shopping mall which may be a closer walk and is probably the better option for our guests. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you back again in the future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We just returned from our first trip to Jamaica, and we certainly will be back! We found Travellers through Groupon, and we were a little nervous about staying at a hotel that we found through a deep discount website. I was immediately comforted when I called a week ahead of time to confirm my reservation and the woman on the phone was polite and professional. It was our anniversary, and when we checked in, the Director of Guest Services greeted us and took us to our room where a complimentary bottle of wine was chilling in an ice bucket and towel swans with flowers were on one of the beds!! After a long day of traveling, seeing how attentive and enthused the staff was to meet our needs and make us comfortable was wonderful.

We were treated so well by every person on staff; from housekeeping to the front desk, to the restaurant staff, and the security guards. Junior, the security guard on the beach, is awesome! He makes sure that everyone has a towel and chair, and keeps the local beach vendors moving so that the guests can experience the fun of purchasing (or not) from a vendor without feeling harassed. Romeo is one of the bartenders and waiters, and he is fantastic! The women that work at the bar during the day are amazing, too; they remembered your drink orders as soon as they saw you and it was ready before you even ordered! The breakfast was good, very carb-heavy for an American diet, so just make sure you are prepared! We had dinner at the restaurant our first night, and we were very pleased with the quality and taste of the food, as well as the price. Additionally, the staff was very helpful in calling to make dinner reservations and arranging for transportation. Make sure you drive with Andre!

The rooms each have a private balcony, which we used every evening to sit out and relax. The mosquitos do get pesky, so just be aware! The room itself was very clean and tidy; the sheets, towels, bedspreads, pillows, and shower curtain were all VERY clean (I could smell the bleach on the sheets and towels). The rooms are older, and that shows in the furniture and tub, but again, I can't emphasize enough that the cleanliness of the room made up for that, especially given the incredible value that we had gotten for our money. We found the bed very comfortable, and the temperature was perfectly regulated by a quiet and remote-controlled AC. There is a flat screen TV in every room, and we were able to watch US programming, like ESPN and CBS.

I have read reviews both positive and negative, and I have to say that I am sorry for those that had a bad experience, ours was vastly different. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, go to one. If you are looking for a very unique and authentically Jamaican experience, I highly recommend Travellers.

Room Tip: Opt for a second floor room, the balcony is more private. And let them know if it is a special occa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay. We are extremely pleased that your first trip to Jamaica was an enjoyable one, especially it being your honeymoon. We do our best to make occasions such as honeymoons, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries etc. as memorable and special as possible. I'm glad that you found all the staff to be helpful and friendly. Romeo is truly an amazing bartender who always keeps himself busy.

While many of our rooms are not yet up to date as you mentioned, we do pride ourselves on providing a clean and comfortable stay for all of our guests. We are also working hard to get all rooms updated by the end of the year.

Thanks for recommending us and we look forward to seeing you both again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I would totally go back to this place. The location of this resort was perfect, at the west end of the beach, quiet and peaceful. The deck where you eat is ten feet from the water! The restaurant food is very good but the menu is limited. Yummy curry shrimp and escoveitched snapper! My daughter loved the fish fingers. I did think the prices were a bit expensive though.
The bartender was awesome! Great drinks! My daughter ordered the (virgin) miami vice more than once. I liked it too(non virgin):) Rum punch was good too. They make it w/real fruit.
Our room was small and basic, but clean. The ac was awesome. It was quiet and had a remote so you could easily adjust the temp. There was a TV w/cable, but no phone. There was also free WiFi!
The beach area was small, but nice, with some lounge chairs.
There is a salon on site where we had our nails done. They did a good job.
The weight room, in my opinion, wasn't great. Just one broken down treadmill and some free weights. With no ac.
The pool was really nice. We enjoyed it a lot.
I also want to give a shout out to our waiter from our first night, Leroy. After my daughter had a meltdown (from lack of sleep) he was so sweet and understanding. He even delivered our meals to our room. Now that's service! After just arriving in a different country, it really meant a lot to me to feel welcomed and taken care of. Thanks Leroy, great job!

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks for your review! We are indeed blessed with a great location that is walking distance from the town center, shopping malls, and many other great restaurants. I'm glad you enjoyed the restaurant food and drinks at the bar. We appreciate your feedback regarding the price and menu options and will certainly take this into account when we revise the menu. Just as a tip for future guests, room sizes and amenities are directly related to the room type. Standard being the smallest and most basic followed by the superior rooms which are larger with flat screen t.v/s and safes. The Deluxe rooms are even larger with either a king or 2 double beds. All rooms have free WiFi but no phones. We are currently considering an option that uses wireless devises as opposed to phones.

The gym is a work in progress so I do apologize for not having this up to the standard we'd like to provide for our guests. Hopefully on your next visit that will be in better shape. Thanks for shouting out Leroy; we were all very happy to read about how he handled the situation with your daughter. He is a relatively new member of the Travellers family and has truly been doing an outstanding job. Thanks again for your review and we're looking forward to your return!
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I and another couple stayed at Travellers Febuary 2013. We spent a considerable amount of time researching places to stay,not wanting to go of to another all inclusive resort.If you are an all inclusive traveller then stay at an all inclusive. Travellers is a locally owned hotel without the glitz and glammer found on resorts, and prefect for the seasoned traveller who prefers to go local versus the all inclusive trap of being confined to a gated resort. When we arrived there was an issue with our reservation, as we wanted rooms side by side, while they were unable to fix that issue the staff were lovely and compensated us by offering a free meal at the restaurant.

Yes, the rooms are dated, if you choose a cheap standard room, but they are clean and cleaned daily. there are other options, but we wanted to stay on the ground floor and close to the pool.The pool was clean and the bar was open. The restaurant was great, food was good, well priced and service was lovely.We really liked how the owners sat with the guests each morning before starting thier day.Also each eveing had a differnet event, on Valentines table were set up on the beach for dinner, lovely!!!

We loved the location, reataurant is on the beach, you can walk to town, walk to the tourist mall as well as local stores and eateries. Fatty's is across the street and would encourage anyone to have a meal there.

Again those of you who can't handle or are afraid of locals on the beach, go to a resort!! We enjoyed the locals and by the end of our stay had made several connections and look forward to seeing them next year

It bugs me to read reviews where this resort is bashed, which prompted me to add my two cents worth, Your going to Jamaica, not Florida!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thanks for taking time to write a review about your stay. You've given some great advice for those looking to travel to Jamaica and are considering Travellers Beach. It's certainly not for everyone, so it is important to know what your booking ahead of time. I apologize to you for the issue with not having your rooms side by side as requested. It can be difficult to accommodate all room requests during times of high occupancy.

As you've pointed out we do have several room options to choose from and we are also currently working on upgrading all of the standard rooms. We aim to have that project completed by December before the new season begins. I'm glad you found the restaurant food and service to be favorable. I'm especially happy to hear that you've already booked to come back! We can't please everyone unfortunately, we can only use your feedback and others to improve upon the product and services that we offer. Thanks once again for your insightful review and encouraging review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Sanford, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Go here knowing that the place is older, you are in a different country with different culture and that nowhere is perfect, especially for the price you are paying. If you keep those things in mind you will have a great trip! There are some upgraded rooms but even those are just ok. There were ants ready to carry your food away if you left it out for too long but it's an island and the rooms don't have refrigerators so don't leave food out.

Now for the good! The beach is literally right there behind the hotel. I can't speak for every room but our room had A/C, COLD A/C and it was GREAT! The pool was cool, clean and refreshing. The grounds were well kept and the resort is clean. Everyone is nice but don't expect them to be overly friendly to you unless you are overly friendly to them. This is what I mean by remember it's a different culture. I found the staff VERY friendly but that's because I am outgoing. My sister found them nice enough but not friendly, but that is because she is nice but not outgoing.

The food was good here but honestly I was very disappointed in the menu because they had things like fried chicken wings, pasta, bacon cheeseburgers and fries which are all things I could have back home. I wanted to order REAL jerk chicken, curry goat (though they did have delicious curry shrimp) and dumplings. The only time they had the real Jamaican food was in the morning for breakfast which consisted of calaloo, ackee & saltfish, curry chicken, cooked dumplings, fruit and other things. That may seem like enough but really, I wanted a wide array of choices on the menu so I could try them. Side Note: My sister was EXTREMELY happy with the menu so if you are looking for an American menu in Jamaica, you will be happy too.

There was plenty to do right around the resort like walking to the local stores (be careful at night as they advise against that), people walk by and sell fruit, jewelry and all kinds of things. There are guys riding by on jetskis and you can rent them. There are guys on small glass-bottom boats offering to take passengers out to the coral reef for just the ride, to snorkel, for sunrises and sunsets.

The resort, itself, offers a karaoke night, jazz night and other special features. The singers they have there are AMAZINGLY talented people. Oh and the bar drinks are good and if you like banana you MUST try a Dirty Banana and/or Hummingbird... YUM!

TIP: Prices are usually negotiable so don't settle for the first price you hear at first from the peddlers. And I have seen so many reviews saying how people are pushy and hound you but I found the locals to be very friendly and once you smile and say no thank you, you have done your part and you may keep walking. No one is running behind you stalking you until you purchase something from them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool because that's where all of the action goes down.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for writing about your experience with us. As you've pointed out, it is important to know what your booking prior to arrival to avoid expecting one thing and getting another. We've had a lot of rain this rainy season so ants have been a bit more prevalent than normal. Although we spray regularly it is important not to leave food out for too long. Thanks for your understanding with this being a tropical island. While our standard and superior rooms don't come with refrigerators, you can add this option at an additional fee. Deluxe rooms and Suites do come with a fridge.

I'm happy that you found your room to be clean, comfortable, and cold! I'm sorry that the menu disappointed you though (but glad it pleased your sister haha). We try to have a broad based menu that will appeal to both local and international clientele. We do offer a variety of fish, shrimp, and lobster options as well as curry and jerk chicken on the menu. We have gotten similar feedback for more Jamaican options though, so we will definitely have to make some adjustments there.

I'm glad you enjoyed the entertainment, drinks at the bar, and your overall stay. Thanks for your great feedback and for providing these wonderful tips for future travelers. We hope to see you again in the future!

Been to Travellers Beach Resort? Share your experiences!