“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

My stay at Travellers was wonderful! I stayed in a Deluxe Room above the lobby and enjoyed every minute of my stay. When the airport lost my luggage, the hotel staff was very helpful in helping me get it back. I used the hotel gift shop and some recommended locations in town to purchase a few items to hold me over until I got my bags back.

Our shower had great water pressure, the bed was comfortable and although we had tv I didn't turn it on - the hotel was entertainment enough for me. The restaurant and bar on site were very convenient and they provided for a very social environment. There are projectors that can play movies/tv and a huge tree that provides shade. Dining or watching the sunset from under the boardwalk is very relaxing and intimate. The beach is very private - since its near the end of the beach not too many people are trying to sell you stuff leaving you to enjoy the sand and sun.

There was also a pool (beautiful!), spa, pool table, and ping pong table. The hotel also helped arrange for me to go horseback riding and jet skiing. From the beach I had access to many glass bottom boats wich I used to go snorkeling and also for a relaxing ride out to Ricks.

I felt very safe at Travellers. There is security during the day and at night. Whether coming in off of the road from a long night of partying or strolling in from the beach, security is watching. The hotel staff was very friendly and definitely gives you a Jamaican experience and I'd choose it any day over the other choices out there.

• Liked — Staff, Pool, Bar, Restuarant
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
prestontbr, Marketing Director at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2008
Thank you for your positive comments. Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself despite the lost luggage in the beginning of your trip. Safety for our guests is one of our key concerns and it's good to know that it is noticeable how safe the property really is. We have recently implemented a state of the art security surveillance system as a back up to the security guards on property 24/7. Once again thanks for your comments and we do hope that you decide to stay with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

We stayed 14 nights at Travellers, and had a wonderful time. My husband and I have vacationed in Negril for the past 4 years, this was our second stay at Travellers. Last year we stay in bungaloo #14, it was supposed to be the best of the bungaloos. It was awful! You could hear EVERYTHING your neighbors did and said.
This year we stayed in a deluxe room with a kitchen, it was perfect!
I recommend you spend the extra money to get a nice room.
The staff went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. We had an emergency at home, and Leroy the security officer delivered our messages immediately. Winston helped us make connections back to the states, which we are still very grateful for.
The bar staff were friendly and entertaining. We did not encounter one rude staff person at travellers!
The resort is clean, and fairly quite. Probably boring for the younger crowds. The pool and beach are awesome.
We will be going back again in 2009.

Stayed February 2008
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself this trip and that the staff here treated you well. We aim to provide a family feel for all of our guests. I do hope everything worked out with your emergency back home. The bungalow's are more for the out door type of person, and I agree it may be worth investing the extra money in one of our other room types if that's not for you. We look forward to accommodating you again next year. Take Care!
Quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

We stayed in the cottages at Travellers in February. I guess I'll list the positives first, then some negatives (just to be fair).

Positives: the resort was like a family to us, a quiet, friendly place where we could relax and unwind after a day of being hassled and yelled/honked at every two minutes along the road and beach. It has a nice pool that rarely ever had anyone in it, and a swim up bar where Leroy (our favorite bartender) entertained us with an impromptu reggae 'concert' (using a cup and straws as a microphone) and served us delicious drinks. There was a pool table and ping pong table that we used in the evening, while listening to music from the bar and visiting with other guests. The beach was monitored all throughout the day by the security staff, who made sure that only people buying food or drink at the restaurant, or who were guests of the hotel, were hanging out in that area. They also made sure we had beach towels and loungers, and were only too happy to arrange a taxi or day excursion for us (though we found both of those things on the road as it's much cheaper that way). For the older crowd, a movie was played on the beach every night (though for us, it wasn't that great as it meant the bar had to turn down its music to the point where you could barely hear it while the movie was playing). Staying in the cabins was neat because you really got to know your neighbours (no choice there!) and we met very friendly, laid-back people who were always more than willing to share a review on a place they'd been to, or keep an eye out for us. The beach was clean, as was the pool, and the gardens were a nice touch - the cabins sit at the edge of a hedge-bordered lawn where the guests could play a game of catch or whatever.

Okay, now some not so positives. We stayed in cabin #8. If anyone in the near future stays there, please check your safe out. Ours was mounted above the toilet, directly underneath the bathroom window. The windows lock with shutter-style wooden slats, but apparently at some point during someone else's stay, someone had used an axe to rip through the screen and rip a huge hole in the side of the safe. It had been done a while before, as the hole had rust around it, but the staff played 'dumb' about it. The hole is only visible if you pull the shower curtain out of the way. We didn't do this until Tuesday (we'd been using it since Friday night). When brought a picture of the hole to the front desk, the girls there tried to tell us that it was our fault for not notifying them sooner and tried to refuse reimbursing us for all of the days we used it. We argued until they finally gave us all of the money back. If you stay in this cabin, keep your windows locked at all times, especially in the back. The maids kept opening them up to air the place out, but behind the cabins is a secluded alleyway, where it is obviously quite easy for someone to break in, undetected.

The cabins, themselves, are little more than a rustic cottage built with planks for walls. Not plywood like I'd read elsewhere. This meant that if your neighbours were young partiers, like ours were, and they turned on their lights at say, 3:00 am every day, you were instantly awakened with a huge criss-crossed network of light streaming into your room. My fiance remedied that by stuffing anythign he could find (toilet paper, articles of clothing) along the cracks to block out some of the light. Sound also travels through the walls very easily, but as long as you have courteous neighbours (most were, ours had to be 'reminded' each night to take the party elsewhere), you'll be okay.

We had a room with a kitchenette, and it took them three days (and three times asking) for them to bring us our hotplate. Had we not mentioned it, they wouldn't have brought us one. Our TV was broken (didn't get any stations) and no amount of trying on our part could get it to work. We didn't bother asking someone to fix it though as it seemed like too much trouble.

The food at the hotel was decent, though a little more on the pricey side (we were budget travellers, so a $15 meal was considered a bit expensive). If you walk down the beach, you'll find many restaurants that will serve you good portions of food for less than you'd pay at the resort.

The front-desk staff, while courteous enough, were generally useless. I don't mean to sound rude, but first of all, when we arrived in MoBay airport, we discovered that ALL our luggage wasn't there. After a day and a half and still no word at all on our bags (MoBay airport said they had no idea where they were and apparently couldn't track them), we decided to take matters into our own hands and call the airport in NJ. However, to do that, we needed a phone number. When we asked the girl at the front desk if we could google a number, she said no, they didn't have internet (several times). She suggested that if we had brought a laptop with us, we could connect to the 'complimentary' internet in the lobby. We didn't have a laptop on us of course. I asked if they had a guest computer and she told me no again. We then asked if there was an internet cafe around, she said no, there wasn't. Well, we walked outside and right across the street there was an internet cafe. But it was closed for the day. Finally, we saw a guest with a laptop and asked her if we could borrow it. We quickly googled a # and then had to give the computer back. Well, the very next day, we were walking through the lobby and there was a door open into a small room that had six or seven brand new computers all hooked up on the network, and who was in there using them? Two or three of the staff girls. Hmmm... Anyway, our driver got mad too, as he'd left several notes and messages for us to get in touch with him so we could arrange for him to take us back to the airport, and again, the girls never gave us the message until the morning we were leaving.

And finally, while we certainly wouldn't want to stay on some remote ritzy resort where there are barren beaches and NOTHING going on, we also did get tired of the constant harrassment we received whenever we left our resort. We were expecting to be offered everything under the sun, and we were, but what got me was the constant honking, shouting, yelling, calling us over, and if we politely said 'no thanks' it often was met with a 'it don't cost anything to look - come here and just LOOK' or even a few times we were told off. As a traveller who didn't have a ton of money to spend, I resented being called names when I wouldn't give a passing driver a beer (we were carrying groceries home), or being yelled at to the point where we were totally uncomfortable to look at anything in the market. Especially when we were staying in a more 'local' resort, we spent our money at the locally owned restaurants, gave hair elastics to the braiders, left good tips for the maids, including a gift bag for each at the end of our stay, and gave away all our water toys, lotions, sprays, food and dishes to the staff at the resort after our stay. It's kind of unfair to then be constantly told that we're greedy and don't care...

I think if they could tone down the harrassment, just a bit, I'd feel a little better about it, but honestly, in my opinion, there are many other islands in the Caribbean that are just as beautiful and where you can take a nice walk after dinner on the beach without having gangs of shady looking men surrounding you and bumping into your fiance because they're trying to intimidate him into buying we*d, opium, cocaine, percasets(sp?), etc. from them.

If you're a young group like we were (early to mid 20's ) and want to find a laid-back place to stay, I'd recommend this resort. Just go with an open mind and you'll be fine. The resort itself is a welcome retreat from the craziness around it, and you'll have a good time, so long as you take precautions to be safe, inform yourself about the area first, and don't mind being harrassed a lot...

• Liked — The friendly staff at the bar, the way you got to know your fellow travellers, the clean and pretty beach and grounds, the nice pool.
  • Disliked — The front desk staff's lack of concern for their guests, the hole in our safe, the cracks between the boards in the walls between our rooms.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
prestontbr, Marketing Director at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 5, 2008
First let me start by thanking you for choosing to stay with us here at Travellers Beach Resort. We take your reviews very seriously and continuously strive to improve our product. While I’m glad that you experienced the family feel that we try to extend to all of our guests, I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have encountered during your vacation

Your room safe problem was certainly a failure on the part of specific departments that should have been reported immediately. I assure you had management known of the problem something would have been done immediately. Unfortunately during the time of your stay there had been quite a few trainees on board who were not completely knowledgeable of the area or of the resort. We do sincerely apologize for what may have seemed like incompetence on the behalf of the front desk staff. Since that time we've undergone some staffing changes and stepped up the front desk training program.

Security for our guests is one of our biggest concerns. Rest assured, Travellers Beach Resort is one of the safest properties in Negril. We've recently implemented a state of the art security surveillance System and have recently partnered one of the fastest growing security companies in Jamaica.

The cabins are as described, of an era gone by, and we keep them for our European and local travelers who enjoy the rustic feel of the cabins. The cabins have undergone some upgrades over the past couple of years i.e. a/c, cable TV refurbishing. We do offer rooms in other categories if the cabins are not what you are looking for.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that you may have experienced when you left the resort. This is really beyond the control of the hotels but we do work closely with organizations and institutions as well as the Negril Police department to reduce the amount of harassment that tourist may experience while in Negril. It is a known problem that's being reduced each day. So perhaps on your next visit you will not experience that.

Once again thank you for your review and for staying with us. We hope that the few bad incidents that you experienced do not deter you from staying with us again.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

I had a wonderful stay at Travellers. The hotel is comfy and very clean. The rooms are quite spacious and all have a lovely view and are quite reasonable. When I was there the pool was under construction, but is now completed and it is beautiful. It has a bar you can swim up to.
The staff is very friendly and always available to tend to your every need.
The food at the restaurant is delicious, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The hotel is walking distance from the beach and actually the restaurant is right off the beach, so you can watch the ocean, which is lovely, as you eat your food.
I definitely am going back and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great vacation in Jamaica. Oh I almost forgot, their bar makes the best fruit punch in the Caribbean!!!

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — a bit of a drive from the airport
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with friends
kingston, jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

stayed here for newyear eve again into the new year this is my usuall travel time i like to expereice the birth of a new year in a different location its great here a the weather a bit tricky in negril at this time thou when we were leaving it was raining, but dont let that stop you. there are tonnes of things to do here. firstly the hotel has a great staff if you check in earlier than check in time you can use the property minus the rooms meaning pool access and beach access, the rooms are air conditioned and well kept you also have the choice of a standard room or a bungalou i think the bungalous are cheaper. the surroundings will let you feel like are truely on vacation with there blend of tropical flowers and tropical art. the pool has nice little cave very cozy, a kiddies splash pool and a jaccuzi compliments the pool area. trust me for this incredible price its great. also its close to the town center and right smack on the beach so you get the best of both worlds, you have marguarita ville down the road, kool runnings water park which i must say is very awesome down the road as well. the world famous ricks cafe is to the west end you may need to drive here, rent a scooter take a taxi or a tour bus. but believe me its great here. lastly if you are here on new years eve you are in for a treat bon fire and fire works on the beach can you say romantic check it out.

• Liked — location and price
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
JWebb85
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel a couple times, once with my family and a few times with some of my college friends. Whether your looking for a family getaway or jus getting away with some friends this is an excellent place stay. Over the years they’ve made some really nice improvements including pool with playboy style grado, deluxe suites, and a new lobby. If your going in March its definitely a Spring break spot so be prepared (did it twice…I’ll leave it that), though any other time its very laid back and quiet. But most importantly it clean and the staff are friendly. It’s a family owned business and the Wellington family definitely makes you feel welcome. Last time I went I took some flaming Marley shots on the house at the bar with Mr. Wellington the owner. He was a great host and took care of me and my friends making sure we went to all the right places. Most nights we had dinner right on the beach at the in house restaurant or you can just walk down the beach for something cheap. Jerk Chicken is a MUST from some of the street vendors. For a clean, authentic, and relaxing trip to Negril I would def recommend this place to a friend.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Staff, proximty to beach
  • Disliked — Honestly no complaints
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

We were in Jamaica and decided last minute to go to Negril during high season. We needed a hotel with Cable TV and internet access (superbowl and primary elections) and wanted to be as close to the beach as possible.

Travellers Beach is clean enough, the staff is fine, the bar was fine. But I'm surprised by all of the really positive and really negative reviews on here. The hotel is average- nothing more, nothing less.

The hotel is right on the beach (though the rooms aren't)- this is awesome. The pool looked great though we never used it. The internet was unreliable and we had to ask to speak to a manager before the connection was repaired.

Our room was clean, but after a day at the beach I got into the shower and when I got out realized housekeeping had taken the dirty towels and not replaced them. With no phones in the room, that means I had to send my husband out to track down towels. They took out the bathroom trash can and never replaced it either.

Next time I'm in Negril I won't rule out Traveller's Beach, but I would like to try another place further down the beach, especially to see what else is out there.

• Liked — location right by the beach
  • Disliked — it was really nothing special, and service could be better.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Travellers Beach Resort? Share your experiences!