“1st trip to Jamaica - everything I heard was true” 2 of 5 stars

Fun Holiday Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #57 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Saint John, Canada
“1st trip to Jamaica - everything I heard was true”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I have been all over the Caribbean but had yet to make it to Jamaica as it is always more expensive but we found a great last minute deal so figured this was our chance. We are 420 friendly and this resort definitely fit that bill but I was not prepared for how you interact with Jamaicans. Resort staff were great but resort is open to public and any non-staff we spoke to were all about what did I have for them or what could they sell me. We did not have one normal conversation - they hussle/hassle you until you give something up or it turns into an argument about respect/disrespect. Other countries have pushy sellers but they are all nothing compared to Negril. On 7 Mile beach there is no place to just sit down and relax without $$ associated with it. And it is not cheap. On the ground home is less expensive than on the ground in Jamaica.

THE RESORT: nice - small - well laid out - right on the beach - open to public. Food was very limited and a small buffet table with very little choice. They did have a menu you could order nicer food off of but a fee came with it. The swim-up bar is closed and was a paid bar. The other bar is all-inclusive from 10am-10pm then it turns into a cash bar. If the cash bar at night ran out of a certain alcohol, it was not refreshed until the next evening just a few hours before cash bar opens so there were days we could not drink what we wanted to drink.

THE BEACH: Great beach - warm water. we found the only way to avoid the sellers was to either be in the water or on our balcony. If you walk the whole beach you will end up drained from saying no for hours on end. also no place to sit down and relax while walking unless you are paying $5 for a beer.

we did take a jungle tour and that was cool, it was totally 420 friendly so that was neat as well. Would I do it again? not at this resort. I would have to go to a 5 star for peace and quiet. this resort was not very peaceful as you were always being approached to buy something at all times.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I stayed here from April 22-26,2015. This was our first trip to Negril. The resort is very basic and cozy. The location is perfect; beautiful access to the beach and a short walk to Times Square shopping plaza. The beach is stunning. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are dated but clean. Our room was cleaned daily and we had fresh towels. The food was amazing, but I would suggest being there as soon as the buffet begins for the best selection and variety. We didn't have an issue with drinks; they had no trouble making what we asked for. With that being said; the selection of alcohol was slim; so I doubt they could make anything too complicated.
The only downfall was the vendors on the beach. At times they could be bothersome if you were trying to relax.
There was always music playing and the staff went out of their way to try to make things fun for the visitors; such as karaoke night, trivia games and live reggae bands with dancers and a fire show. On Saturday night they moved the tables and buffet to the beach for a romantic candle light dinner. I'd like to acknowledge "Country" who went above and beyond to make the guest's entertainment experience a nice one. It's just too bad not everyone participated in his events.
There are also two nightclubs close by if you are looking to experience the nightlife.
Overall we had a wonderful time. We will definitely go back. If you are looking for an inexpensive getaway you should give this resort a chance.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you're looking for posh place to stay this is not the place for you. It is clean, always found something in the buffet to eat. Staff are very friendly and a special thank you to Jennifer for doing such a great job keeping our room clean. Rooms are dated so it could use a face lift. Would I stay there again, yes I would.

Room Tip: The wifi is hit and miss. You could get it on your balcony, around the pool, and in the eating area...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Tiny,Ontario,Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We used to go to Holiday Fun Beach resort in Runaway Bay. The Jewel bought it out and now double the price to go there. So we went to Negril and stayed at the Holiday Fun Beach Resort. It was a little smaller but it was a nice place. More in price range. People were very friendly. Lacked big time for entertainment. I chose this place because they said Monday's supper menu included Lobster. False advertising. Food was excellent but I don't think they know what potatoes are. The nightly entertainment were the Jamaicans that were on the beach that would come to the resort and do skits and kerroke. It's the visitors that make the place. What they don't tell you is the entertainment passes around a hat since they don't get paid by the resort. Rooms were clean. Food was excellent. Beach was beautiful. Security was right there if hassled too much by vendors. Would I go back. Most definitely if it stays in the price range.needs a little ground work.

Room Tip: All the rooms are about the same
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Appleton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From the minute I checked in to the minute I left was great. Everyone at the front desk is so friendly. Check in was a breeze. And throughout my stay was asked if everything was ok. My room was cleaned everyday by excellent housekeepers. The maintenance staff was very prompt when I needed my AC looked at. Thank you Richard.!! I always felt safe with security at the resort. Jonathon, Mackenzie, and the other security was great. The bar staff Gary, Yoshi, Ushane, and the new guy were great. Gary always knew what I wanted to drink .Thank you Gary!! He along with the rest of the bar staff made the time at the bar fun. The cooks and dining room staff worked very hard and always had kind words. Thank you everyone!! See you soon....

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Aurora, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2015

A great place to relax and enjoy. We were only there for 4 days but loved it.
A great change from your typical concrete laden resort.
Small, friendly old style resort. A little dated but so comfortable !!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2015

trip was excellent the staff were very nice as soon as we arrived to the resort.my daughter was with me and she is 8.5 months pregnant and they made sure we had everything we needed and asked us constantly if she was ok.food was great and lots of it and the drinks were excellent and bartenders and the waiters were the best i have seen in a long time.there was one waiter who went way out of his way to please us his name was Rowand.thank you for treating us so nicely :)

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!