“Jamaican Food!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Golden Lake, Ontario, Canada
“Jamaican Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I spent a week at Fun Holiday resort and loved it. it was our first trip to Jamaica, and we went because we found this affordable spot on the seven mile beach. People seem to find the food an issue. Nobody has mentioned that the Fun Holiday serves wonderful real Jamaican food - which I loved - as well as ordinary Canadian-style stuff, which my husband liked. I ate saltfish fritters, pumpkin salt fish curry, Kallalo (traditional Jamaican greens) while my husband stayed with chicken, fish and pork. I ate kidneys and chicken livers and the kallalo for breakfast while my husband ate fried eggs and bacon. The soup was always excellent. We were both happy! I am a drinker; my husband is not. The bar never ran out of rum, beer, red wine during our week; the bar tender happily mixed virgin pina coladas and always remembered to leave the rum out of my husband's drink. You can walk to Negril along the beach, there is free music in bars all along the beach, The rooms are basic and clean, the beach is uncrowded and two minutes from any room, everybody I met was very kind and nice. The Holiday Fun Resort has entertainment three nights a week. I hope they keep the price affordable and let those folk who need steaks and pork chops at the buffet go elsewhere!
We did hear from returning guests that the food was not nearly as good this year as it was in past years, but since we weren't there last year, we were not disappointed.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Hey folks... My 4th trip to Fun Holiday.. What can I say.. The staff are great for what they have to work with. Janet, the lady on the beach is wonderful. She will help you in any way you need. She brought my friend who was staying across the street at Jah'B into town to purchase groceries, bevies, etc. Can't say enough nice things about this lady... Her colleague "Ninja" is also a great man that will help you out in any way. Many Jamaicans are very kind when treated with respect, most common phrase used in JA, RESPECT! Office staff (Marian) will always try to help you out. Housekeeping ladies will get to your room, be patient. Remember a few dollars go a long way, to your pleasure and to their livelihood. Just sayin... Remember, you pay very little to stay at this place in Negril, on the FAB 7 mile beach!

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Campbell River, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't need 5 star, and therefore went to Fun Holiday Beach Resort in 2014 and things were fine. However, I went again this year and took my partner and his parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. We arrived Feb. 2/15 and left Feb. 16/15. This resort has gone down hill. All-inclusive? I think not. Food was never replenished when dishes were empty. So if you didn't line up at the buffet long before the food was even served, there was nothing. And I am serious when I say nothing. We ended up spending alot of money eating outside of the resort. Not by choice, but because when one try of food is empty they do not replace. We were told repeatedly they were out of alcohol. Days on end could not even get a drink of rum at the bar. This is jamaica...where's the rum???? Could not get a drink. Whatever we asked for at the bar, we usually were told 'we're out'. We ended up having to buy all our own alcohol while there. This resort was great last year and this year it was horrible. We never got a chance to talk to our tour rep about the situation, because they never showed up at the resort when they were scheduled to. I have emailed the tour operator and am waiting to hear back. I wasn't going expecting anything fancy....I had been there before and knew what the hotel was like....which was fine for me. However, this resort is not all-inclusive and it cost alot more money when we arrived to supply our own meals and alcohol. Very disappointed. Will not go back.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

super reasonably priced in the off season, great value, nice rooms, wonderful restaurant and pleasant staff. A good part of the beach, the end of the beach where things are a little more hopping. If this is your first trip, you might try the other end of the beach, but if you are a hearty traveler, this is a fine place, great value for the money.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed 1 week with my family here. If you understand what the difference between a 3 star and 4/5 star then it is a great little place on the most beautiful beach ever!
The drinks are ok depending on your bartender. Sometimes they were awful! No premium liquor so if ya want it buy it. Red stripe on tap only, if you want a bottle you must pay $3 American. We bought cases of bottles from a little store called shamrocks down the way and snacks, as it is only 3 meals a day. (8am, 1pm and 7pm) If I went back I wouldn't pay all inclusive,the buffet style meals are the same most everyday and the line is long, food runs out quickly. There is a menu you could order off 20 mins after buffet is served. The staff were great about letting us order cheese burgers for our son who didn't like any buffet. The 7 mile beach has plenty of cheap little restaurants and other resorts you can eat at.
Somedays there were no beach towels available, but they do have some:) we brought our own!
The pool was merky our first day but great everyday after.... I am a pool operator so I'm very picky.
The rooms were good. Water pressure was great! Always hot water, cold air conditioner. We had to rent a fridge, I think it cost us 40$ American for 6 days. There were not available upon arrival but as people checked out 1 became available. We paid $25 for the week to use the safe. It was great, worked and was bolted to the floor.
The beach was awesome! We woke up each day at sunrise to set up our beach chairs, if we would have waited too long they would all be set up with towels on them. The beach was crowded with people soaking in the sun! The beach has a lot of people trying to sell you anything and everything, leave your sunglasses on and just say not interested sternly or you do get hassled. (This wAs our third trip to Jamaica so we knew what to expect)
Most important thing to note: Jamaica is a beautiful country, I would stay in a shack on the beach, I really don't go to get waited on hand and foot! If that's what you want find a 5 star. The trip is as good as you make it, sitting around complaining so loud everyone can here you is not worth your breath, so just sit back take in the fresh air And sun. Be grateful you are in such a beautiful place! Some people were very rude to the staff about things beyond there control.... If you choose to stay at a 3 star them just expect less! All and all we loved it!

• Stayed January 2015
Zion, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here for a week and the first day into our stay, we realized the All Inclusive plan was really not all inclusive, at all, and we had wasted a good amount of money on what we had expected to be a no hassle, relaxing vacation. The food was hit or miss and if you didn't sit around and wait for the buffet to open, would miss out as the food went fast. The bar constantly ran out of everything unless you wanted to pay and when the bar did have supplies, the drinks were lame, unless you wanted to pay. I did get to experience a "rum punch" made with brandy and gin.....it was at this point we started going to other places down the beach or down the road for food and beverages. I did give this place an "average" rating because it had some good qualities. The location is fantastic which made the trip bearable as we were able to easily walk to get food and beverages. The staff were friendly, work really hard, and are accommodating within their means. Housekeeping was fantastic and security did a great job keeping everything safe. The shower always had great pressure and plenty of hot water. Note: The beds do not have blankets, only sheets. The "free" wi-fi was very spotty and hard to maintain a stable connection. The beach area was nice and well maintained. The pool and hot tub were cleaner than expected based on other reviews I had read prior to our trip. I would never stay here again but for those who are still thinking about giving it a go, the hotel itself is decent but the All Inclusive option is not worth the extra $$.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just got back from the " Fun Holiday beach resort "
Small reasort around 40 rooms. Clean rooms, good food, beautiful 7 miles beach ! Just to let you know there's no fridge and hair blower in the room but I didn't mind ! You can get a beach towel at the front desk and you can ask for a hair blower they will lend it to you for the week. Breakfast at 8 a.m but there is cofee and tea ready at 6 a.m. lunch at 1 p.m. and super at 7 p.m.
If you are looking for a 5 stars don't go there.
I really loved this place and I will go back for sure!

Christine

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!