“poooooooooooooooooooooor management/ run down hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Fun Holiday Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #62 of 91 hotels in Negril
Hackensack, New Jersey
“poooooooooooooooooooooor management/ run down hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Mr. Bachas the owner/ manager whatever he is need to visit successfully hotels and bring ideas back to improve fun holiday. First and foremost the front desk in disorganized no one knows what’s going on. They are always out of towels. Everyone i met there was unhappy. I have never seen a hotel that offers to lend and iron and iron board. Food can be better and the bars sucksssssssssss. The beach huts are terrible and are falling apart. from the beach looking on the dining area there is a huge piece of tree possibly from hurricane Ivan or Sandy still connected to the tree and laying on the roof. Many simple things that can be done to improve the appearance of the hotel, and those dam fries in the dining area GET RID OF THEM. If you look in the pool at the closed down swim-u bar as we speak, there is a dead roach on the bottom, been there for day. The pool is chlorinated but not cleaned, not safe. Security will hustle you so be careful, they will setup their taxi friends to overcharge you to go short distances. THE SMOKE DETECTORS IN THE ROOMS DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!! My neighbor smokes weed 24/7 and I never went off=danger. Believe me I would even waste my time going over grammar check for this review, you got the point. Do not choose stay in a double room separated by a door you will hear chatting and people having sex all night. By the way the dining room staffs are GREAT!!!! I wish I could hire them had I own a hotel. Bachas does not deserve these people working for him.

Room Tip: Do not choose stay in a double room separated by a door you will hear chatting and people having sex...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If you are a spoiled brat who expects to have a 5 star hotel this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a GREAT time, AMAZING service (bartenders, waitresses etc) a great view and MUSIC this is the resort to stay in. The rooms were okay and so were the showers (i cant believe some of the people commenting here--very ungrateful and entitled) but the food was great, the over all experience was like no other.
My boyfriend and I stayed in a room a few months ago. We spent our time relaxing on the beach, in restaurants, visiting Bob Marley's home, snorkelling and eating lobster. For the CHEAP PRICE, this hotel and everything it has to offer is extraordinary.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest away from the pool are quieter but the view is best facing the pool. LOVE THIS PLACE...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you need a place to stay you can stay here, the rooms are comfortable.The food could be better , the beach view is amazing, the pool on the premises is Nice! This place has potential to grow into a better resort.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

we paid for superiour room with an ocean view in this hotel. We were very surprised when they gave us the room in the far end of the hotel building. the room had 2 beds instead of one which we required. there were no door handles, only awful "night locks" which are required to lock the door for the night and looks really scary. hotel staff was nice and promised us to give another room closer to the ocean the next day as soon as it is free.
All rooms in this hotel on the upper floor are "ocean view", even if you can hardly see the ocean from the deep. The internet works good only near the reception.
The next day we moved to the new room, which had handles on the doors. The rest was the same. Sink had a strange canopy which helped hotel owner to save money on furniture. Safe box cost 4usd/day. All inclusive meal plan is 80USD (or 65USD if they give you a discount).
the pool is good, and the beach is great. This hotel is very close to all local places, so there are a lot of locat jamaican people and rusty cafees. But these local restaurants supply better food than 5* hotels there.
You can smoke in the hotel and its permises. But at Jamaica they don't smoke tobacoo. So everybody smoke weeds there.
The hotel is poor. There is Rooms hotel nearby which is much much more better.

Room Tip: do not take rooms on the right, they are old and ugly. Take rooms to the left which are marked as A.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hanover, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked last minute and we were very pleased! This was our 7th time to Negril in the past 3.5 years.
We had our two boys with us (8&12)
We stayed in two adjoining rooms, that worked out great!
I'm not sure I understand all the negative reviews. The rooms are big, clean and nice balconies. The food was great in my opinion, it was always local Jamaican food, they had callaloo, Ackee and salt fish, bread fruit, dumplings, festival, fish prepared many ways, jerk chicken, shrimp, rice and peas.... All the food I love in Jamaica. So if you need fries and hamburgers everyday you may be disappointed. They are cooking for many less people then the typical 800 room hotel so no they don't have huge selections but the food they do cook is great local food!!
The a la carte menu is also available for the all inclusive guests.
The bar staff were great but the selection was limited, they kept us happy... But I can say I did miss the red strips in a bottle so we bought some.. Problem fixed!
We will return again!

Stayed July 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The rooms did not have a kitchenette as stated in the reservation. There was one iron for the whole hotel, no towels or blankets in the rooms. No neccesities like shampoo,soap,and face towels. The housekeeper comes around 2pm and you have to request towels. The food is disgusting..need better food for breakfast,lunch, and dinner for a real island feel. The drinks for all inclusive are made weak and with bootleg liquor and when I asked for a drink made from the cash bar I was told it wasn't with the all inclusive. Overall I would not recommend this hotel to anybody not even for 1night!!

• Stayed August 2014
St Louis, MO.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

10 years ago I stayed at FHB resort & I enjoyed my stay much more this time. Stayed in a room downstairs & we knew/wanted 2 double beds would be in our room. Added mini frig & that was well worth small cost as their is currently no Ice Machine. The bar gets bags of ice & often has to chop up ice but that worked for us & bartenders were nice if that's all I wanted. Lloyd makes a good drink or yummy smoothie when I provided fruits. Bar staff is very accommodating to guests if they can with limited liquors & their liquor is not Premium Name Brand.

Check in was quick sign in with Jodie Ann & she is always smiling & professional, inquired if we need anything & our stay if going well often, takes time to chat with guests. We had room A102 which is in bldg. closest to restaurant, pool & outdoor shower. I liked being able to say Hi to guests & staff as they walk by & we had mix of sunshine & shade on our porch surrounded by flowers with view of pool. Our A/C worked too well so we had to adjust higher at times, the remote works fine once you figure out temp you desire. Shower had plenty of hot water although sometimes temps fluctuate while showering. Plenty of hangers & open closet to hang clothes up or put in dresser. Furniture is old & bedspreads are faded flower print but sheets were clean, towels changed daily & Jennifer our maid cleaned up very well as we requested. This is an older property but the owner Jamaican man is constantly having painters scrape & repaint bldgs. exterior & interiors due to salty air damage. I enjoyed watching workers daily move around bldgs. maintain painting work & it sure looked better after they completed 2 new coats of Lime Green & White paint. New roof on FHB Pool Bar was installed during our stay, they sure do things differently in Jamaica but they did get the job done even if they had to work late into the night.

We started our days with breakfast buffet which did run low on some foods, Bacon, especially Saltfish & Ackee or other Jamaican specialties. Politely speaking with smiling hostess/waitress Samika often resolved shortage if more was available. Between Juices, Coffee/Tea, Waffles, Pancakes, Eggs, Omelets, Fruits, Toast, Porridge, etc there was plenty for my preferences & I never walked away hungry. Some who complained about shortages had taken plates of food to their rooms at every meal & never returned plates; leaving dirty plates in your room attracts ants/bugs & causes shortage of dinnerware. Some guests had bad attitudes but we did our best to ignore them & not let their complaining ruin our good times...Sometimes it is all about your attitude ! Samika was FHB restaurant staff who stood out, always smiling friendly & attentive to our needs. After stuffing ourselves we would go walk the beach & visit with old friends & tell vendors we will shop later in week, not now while just exercising. Then veg out time under a palapa or floating on raft in calm ocean to catch some rays. We chose to only eat breakfast at FHB since there are so many good places to eat close by or short taxi ride. I would NOT chose A-I feature for all meals as would get tired of same foods.

Kingfisher ToGo little hut is next door on road in front of Whistling Bird. He serves porridges & soups till they are gone. Had very delicious creamy Chicken Foot soup there & lots of options which are all yummy & cheap for lunch or grab a Pattie on beach from Norman on bicycle. Clouds & little rain came in most afternoons which was time to shower & clean up before dinner. We ate at lots of different places for dinner, German Bar on West End Rd had good Hawaiian Pizza & salad or delicious German choices. Never had a bad meal except at 3-Dives Jerk Ctr, 1st time I have ever been disappointed there. 2 of 4 chicken meals were overdone dry meat that sauce & ketchup couldn't resolve, plus rice & peas dry & callaloo so bitter none us could eat more than a bite. I did tell the cook that we were disappointed & add some sugar to callaloo to make it edible. Usually I have a moist delicious breast/wing with wonderful dry rub flavor but this time we got overcooked dry meat. My favorite dinner was Biggs Jerk Chicken pushcart by Hidden Paradise was moist & his sauce is delicious with Coco bread to sop up sauce. After enjoying a local pushcart chicken meal we sit outside & listen to music from beach bar or FHB restaurant music. Biggs has gotten so popular with locals & tourists he ran out by 8pm some nights. Tried Winston jerk on road & liked his sauce but chicken was minimal & more bones than meat. Mini market Shamrock's is close enough to walk down to & get supplies for frig; soda, juices, snacks & booze with fair exchange rate.

Sunday we went down to FiWi beach bar (between Kuyaba & Bourbon Beach) to hear local Reggae band Hiyah Grade. Start time was supposed to be 12pm, we know to come on JA time & arrive at 1pm. Band is still setting up & by 1:30pm finally playing music. Drink I got was strong & cheap Pepsi & Appleton Rum. First a local singer? sang with band, he was good & fun. Next set Omar singing has improved & enjoyed listening to his songs & guitar playing. Locals & tourists start arriving & quite a good crowd is smoking & dancing to the music. Local chef Bernie has a hut with Curry Chicken & lots of other good smelling food cooking in this area & on other side is a mini market where I got Ice Cream which was to die for! After getting tired of standing & we headed next door to eat lunch at Kuyaba. Waiter put the fans on for us & got us cold water before ordering. Lunch was great for all of us, I always enjoy the food here even though you pay tourist prices, ambience with good food is worth it. After lunch we went back to listen to rest of set & then break time, rain drops start falling so we grab a route taxi back to FHB resort.

We visited with 2 lady friends who live on island, met at Canoe Bar & munched while chatting about the differences of living on island & how expensive food has gotten in grocery stores. $50. a week isn't buying much food which is due to poor economy. Cost of living in paradise is some inconveniences & lots of costly items shipped in. Repairs are on JA time & often take multiple visits to get things done. Rain comes as we eat so our afternoon of chatting is longer than expected due to one on motorcycle. No problem we on JA time & no schedule to be anywhere. Nice thing was after the rain cleared out the beach showed all the sea glass & I found lots of pieces of blue, brown, clear & green glass. Filled my pocket & then we cab back to FHB to enjoy rest of evening. Our days & evenings were relaxed & weather cooperated with little rain. Slept good snuggled under covers with A/C keeping room chilly. Only 2 nights The Jungle has crowd partying is loud enough to hear in your room, not too loud but a dull thumping of bass. Roots Bamboo is 2 doors down & enjoyed their band music which cuts off between 12-1am...depends on if crowd at Roots. Their music was great to hear outside on patio but did not disturb sleep when inside room. I really enjoyed the location in middle of beach, no complaints with room or FHB resort or staff. Beach was wide enough & plenty of shade to grab lounger most days. Many days the ocean was so calm with little or no waves, I spent much time lying on float in water. Water temp was perfect in ocean, pool & cool tub. Loved sitting in cool tub bubbles late at night under all those bright stars listening to tree frog chirping then take quick shower & head to bed. Guard was always visible nightly on beach side & guard at front of property prevents anyone from coming on property after 10:30pm unless you are guest. Security & safety have become priority for hotel owners in Negril, hence the ban on Jet ski's after fatal accident in Jan. 2014. While I feel bad for owner/operators of jet ski, I sure do not miss noise pollution of them running up & down.

Overall if you are looking for a cheap basic older hotel on the beach, Fun Holiday Beach resort could be an option for you. Email me directly if you want more details.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs are generally cooler as heat rises. If your A/C doesn't work, ask for different...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!