“3 Star becomes 5 star thanks to the staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Fun Holiday Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #56 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Campbell River, BC
“3 Star becomes 5 star thanks to the staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just returned from Fun Holiday Beach Resort yesterday. I had read the mixed reviews prior to leaving and took a chance. I knew I wasn't going to a 5 star hotel, and therefore didn't have those types of expectations. I was however happy that the resort is owned by a local jamaican and therefore my money would stay in the local economy. Below is my review.
1. Room - the room is exactly as shown online. No, it is not a 5 star property but I didn't need that. Beds were comfy, AC worked but I didn't use, hot water was plenty, cleaning staff superb!
2. Food - there were lots of complaints online about the food. As i was going to Jamaica, I wanted Jamaican food...and that is what I got including a ton of fresh fruit! Food was plenty and if anything ran out it was replenished immediately. If people were looking for 'western' food, that was available too with pizza, hamburgers etc. The curries were excellent and lobster was served a few times while there.
3. Bar - I have read horrible reviews regarding the bar. I found none of them to be true. There was every type of alcohol one could wants, and a plethora of blended drinks with fresh fruit etc. If going, try the 'Fruit Holiday' - was great!
4. Location - Excellent! Fantastic beach, close to Negril, lots of ammenities within walking distance such as corner stores, liquor stores, mall, etc. etc. Really one of the best spots as far as I am concerned.
5. Night Life - Directly across the street is a nightclub called the Jungle. Don't worry, you do not hear the music at the resort! 2 doors down on the beach is Roots Bamboo which had several reggae concerts while I was there. I went one night and had an incredible time. Some tourists but mostly locals. Was awesome! Things get going alot later in Jamaica. Nightclubs etc. don't get going until close to midnight and go into the wee hours of the morning.
6. Transportation - you can easily get cabs, however if you ask the front desk staff they will arrange for cabs etc. for you with people they know to be safe and who won't charge an arm and a leg!
7. Safety - this resort has 24 hour a day security who keep vendors off the beach area and ensure your safety throughout your stay.
8. Staff - this is the most amazing part of our stay! These people work incredibly hard! The average Jamaican wage is about $45 dollars USD per week. If you look around, you will see that food , gas, clothes etc. are about the same price as back in Canada. These people work hard for their money and are so poor. However, it does not dim their friendliness or their charisma! I don't remember everyones' name, but there are staff members who go above and beyond the call of duty:
1. Colin - he works the swim up bar. His customer service is unbelievable!
2. Lawrence - he is one of the several security guards and you have absolutely nothing to worry about with them on duty. Lawrence is great at keeping the vendors off the beach area while you are relaxing.
3. O'Neill - groundskeeper/maintenance. He is shy and it took a little while longer to get to know, but if you observe and slowly get to know him, you realize there are so many 'behind the scenes' jobs he does to make your stay better and the resort looking nicer.
4. Jessica - one of the many incredible ladies who work in the office. I'm sorry I don't remember all their names but they are absolutely fantastic! If there is something you are not happy with, don't just get resentful. Talk to them, they will correct anything. They are absolutely unbelievable and I was sorry to see people be so rude with them. They definetely don't deserve some of the stuff they put up with.
5. Samantha etc. in the diningroom. These ladies are amazing!!!!!

9. Activities/Tours -
1. 2 doors down on the beach at Roots Bamboo you can ask for Lincoln. He is super honest and will 'hook you up' with transportation to go anywhere! He is great.
2. Captain Larry works on the beach with his Glass Bottom Boat. If going snorkeling, go to him as you will find he won't gouge the price. The snorkeling was amazing and I can't wait to go again.
3. YS Falls is a great tour, the falls are beautiful.
4. ATV tour by Chukka Tours - total disappointment, don't waste the money. Single file lines going slow on a plantation. Was not what we expected and wouldn't do it again.
5. Swimming with the Dolphins - I know alot of people disagree with this but I admit to taking my family including my 71 year old mother who was in a wheelchair. The staff was amazing with my Mom and ensured she got down the path, into the water and in with the dolphins. It was an amazing experience!

10. Accessibility - this is the first trip my Mom has been in a wheelchair for. Wasn't sure how it was going to go. Sidewalks etc. were a bit of a challenge in a couple of spots, but not many at all! Cab drivers etc. were phenomenal in helping get wheelchair in and out and all tours etc were great as well. You can definetely do this vacation with someone in a wheelchair.

11.. Restaurants - we went to 2 outside our resort, both are great. Rustic, but awesome food.
Went to Three Dives on New Years Eve and to Presley's a couple days before we left. For Presley's , you have to order in the morning and make your reservation. There are only 4 tables and he buys his seafood fresh each day depending on what you order. Had lobster at both! Both great experiences and both memorable!

All in all........ don't go expecting a 5 star resort. Understand you are going to a 3rd world country. Also understand that if you don't tip, don't expect great service. This goes for just about every country you travel to. I tipped and brought items to give away. Some of the best items you can bring: toiletries, school supplies, pantyhose (cost a fortune there), perfume (even the 'smells like' stuff from the dollar store), over the counter medication (tylenol etc.), hand sanitizer, reading glasses from dollar store). I left the maid a couple of dollars and a couple of items each day. Tipped the bartenders, wait staff etc. Doesn't have to be alot. Makes all the difference in the world. This resort may not be a 5 star, but the customer service sure it!!!!!!!! I will go back, and I will stay here again! Already planning my next trip!

Room Tip: There are gardenview and oceanview, and then there is ocean front. We had ocean front and loved it...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Good little spot! Went with my friend in January 2012 (review long overdue!) Small resort so, not too crowded. Right in the middle of the perfect "7 mile" Negril beach. Not too far from everything (Timescare duttyfree mall, Rick's cafe, Margarita Ville, a bunch of places to eat, etc.). Safe with security on cite at night. Food wasn't too great (very little choices) but then again it's a 3 star hotel. If you go there for the food you'll be disappointed, but you can leave the resort and go anywhere else which is awesome!! It's worth it for the location alone!

Room Tip: room 103 was fine, close to the beach :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I just came back from Fun Holiday and it had to be the worst experience of my life. All the requests we made including a safe and ocean front room were never even considered! The buffet was horrible! no food! First they bring out the food whenever they feel like it. We had to wait till about 930am for breakfast and dinner came at around 730-8pm. All the guests waited at they're empty tables like a bunch of starving vultures. By the time the first 10 people went up to get their food there was none left for the other and was not being replenished at all. So paying for all inclusive we had to go across the street to actually eat a meal! Not to mention the poor bar selection! They have a 2L bottle of pepsi and 7up with one rum vodka and tequila! The beach was absolutely gorgeous which actually made me not feel so bad anymore as the water and sand is a sight to see! O'neil was one of the best staff he knew how uncomfortable we were and offered to do anything to make our stay better. Jessica at front desk was also the best. Once those two employees were gone it was hard to even get any staff to acknowledge me! I just simply went to the front desk to ask for towels in my room as I never had any at all in my room! They simply looked at me as if I were asking something ludacris and they could not be bothered to help out. They tried to accomodate me by moving to a beach front room it was a gorgeous view but the A/C did not work in that room. After being approached many times to buy drugs or someone for sex including being woken up on the beach many times to buy things I really started to get annoyed as I came to Jamaica to get away and relax. I think i was more stressed at this hotel then i would be working at home! Oh yea and you think your resort in Jamaica would play the cool sounds of the reaggae music that has put Jamaica on the map...instead they let a drunk shameless couple play their damn ipod with metallica and what sounded like a washed up garth brooks. It was horrible that was all in one night. The next morning I woke up called my rep and quickly booked another hotel. I understand the rating and the price and I shouldnt expect much but this was just absolutely insane and I did not come all the way to watch old men buy hookers which was the case with about 50% of the guests. Not for family! If you wants to have a wreckless trip come to fun holiday!

Room Tip: ask for beach front not beach view there is a major difference
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Elkhart, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Our second stay and yes we will return again. Lovely staff, clean room, fresh towels daily.
We like the AI and the buffet was plenty and good. But we know its not a fancy hotel.
We are not big drinkers but they made some yummy frosty drinks. When I wanted diet
they ordered it and I had diet for the rest of the week. Yes great location, the beach wonderful.
If you want a budget hotel on the beach and are not picky this is the place! Loved the free wifi could keep in touch with family and friends from my tablet. And the staff was very appreciative
of our tips and we even left some shirts for them. I did not see anyone else tipping, sad. It might be AI but for the price we always take plenty of ones to tip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

It's a nice chillin place that's affordable. Reviews can be miss leading because our room was clean, excellent A/C , I actually had to turn it off at times (cold)hot water, wifi, enough food! We had an upper level room. I'm picky and was nervous about choosing this hotel, but it worked out fine.
Only negative was the bar, they need to have more variety, got tired of drinking the same things and more food that is geared towards children, I would love to bring my son next time!
Over all I would stay there again. If your on a low budget and not picky, go for it!!! Go , relax, enjoy the sun!!
It's Jamaica ,
EveryTing Irie Mon!!!

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at tjis hotel, having stayed in April 2013. The hotel is in a great location on the beach and convenient to get to the various beach parties within walking distance. Also close to the town centre and a taxi ride to the West End of Negril. The food at the hotel can and sjould be improved. The rooms I have stayed in all need updating with new furniture and doors that fit properly, as well as curtains that opens and closes without all the effort I had to put in. The air con worked. A big plus was the free wifi which was one of the main reasons I stayed a second time. One of the major disappointments was charging for a fridge in the room. I find this unacceptable and I would not be willing to pay for this facility so would go elsewhere where a fridge in the room is standard. The staff at the hotel are all lovely and are an asset to the company. I feel the staff are not appreciated by management and that is a real shame. But like most Jamaican people they are easy going. Big thanks to the bar staff. Keep smiling. See ya soon.

• Stayed November 2013
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Just return from fun holiday beach hotel in Negril- location excellent - second visit to hotel- knew what I was getting in to -the place just need update-- if you want a place to stay soak up the sun, not costly if you are on a budget fhbr is good, entertainment every saturday , if you want more this hotel has easy access to other location- walking distance that you don't need a taxi. The place is secure, room was clean where i stay- hotel has all inclusive but i did not utlize - only issue was towels/ wash cloth they forgot me one day-
To the front staff before they take a customer to there room make sure the room is 100%- I would stay there again

Room Tip: like the garden side - but prefer the second floor the balcony you can see more o the beach
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!