Just returned from Fun Holiday Beach Resort yesterday. I had read the mixed reviews prior to leaving and took a chance. I knew I wasn't going to a 5 star hotel, and therefore didn't have those types of expectations. I was however happy that the resort is owned by a local jamaican and therefore my money would stay in the local economy. Below is my review.
1. Room - the room is exactly as shown online. No, it is not a 5 star property but I didn't need that. Beds were comfy, AC worked but I didn't use, hot water was plenty, cleaning staff superb!
2. Food - there were lots of complaints online about the food. As i was going to Jamaica, I wanted Jamaican food...and that is what I got including a ton of fresh fruit! Food was plenty and if anything ran out it was replenished immediately. If people were looking for 'western' food, that was available too with pizza, hamburgers etc. The curries were excellent and lobster was served a few times while there.
3. Bar - I have read horrible reviews regarding the bar. I found none of them to be true. There was every type of alcohol one could wants, and a plethora of blended drinks with fresh fruit etc. If going, try the 'Fruit Holiday' - was great!
4. Location - Excellent! Fantastic beach, close to Negril, lots of ammenities within walking distance such as corner stores, liquor stores, mall, etc. etc. Really one of the best spots as far as I am concerned.
5. Night Life - Directly across the street is a nightclub called the Jungle. Don't worry, you do not hear the music at the resort! 2 doors down on the beach is Roots Bamboo which had several reggae concerts while I was there. I went one night and had an incredible time. Some tourists but mostly locals. Was awesome! Things get going alot later in Jamaica. Nightclubs etc. don't get going until close to midnight and go into the wee hours of the morning.
6. Transportation - you can easily get cabs, however if you ask the front desk staff they will arrange for cabs etc. for you with people they know to be safe and who won't charge an arm and a leg!
7. Safety - this resort has 24 hour a day security who keep vendors off the beach area and ensure your safety throughout your stay.
8. Staff - this is the most amazing part of our stay! These people work incredibly hard! The average Jamaican wage is about $45 dollars USD per week. If you look around, you will see that food , gas, clothes etc. are about the same price as back in Canada. These people work hard for their money and are so poor. However, it does not dim their friendliness or their charisma! I don't remember everyones' name, but there are staff members who go above and beyond the call of duty:
1. Colin - he works the swim up bar. His customer service is unbelievable!
2. Lawrence - he is one of the several security guards and you have absolutely nothing to worry about with them on duty. Lawrence is great at keeping the vendors off the beach area while you are relaxing.
3. O'Neill - groundskeeper/maintenance. He is shy and it took a little while longer to get to know, but if you observe and slowly get to know him, you realize there are so many 'behind the scenes' jobs he does to make your stay better and the resort looking nicer.
4. Jessica - one of the many incredible ladies who work in the office. I'm sorry I don't remember all their names but they are absolutely fantastic! If there is something you are not happy with, don't just get resentful. Talk to them, they will correct anything. They are absolutely unbelievable and I was sorry to see people be so rude with them. They definetely don't deserve some of the stuff they put up with.
5. Samantha etc. in the diningroom. These ladies are amazing!!!!!
9. Activities/Tours -
1. 2 doors down on the beach at Roots Bamboo you can ask for Lincoln. He is super honest and will 'hook you up' with transportation to go anywhere! He is great.
2. Captain Larry works on the beach with his Glass Bottom Boat. If going snorkeling, go to him as you will find he won't gouge the price. The snorkeling was amazing and I can't wait to go again.
3. YS Falls is a great tour, the falls are beautiful.
4. ATV tour by Chukka Tours - total disappointment, don't waste the money. Single file lines going slow on a plantation. Was not what we expected and wouldn't do it again.
5. Swimming with the Dolphins - I know alot of people disagree with this but I admit to taking my family including my 71 year old mother who was in a wheelchair. The staff was amazing with my Mom and ensured she got down the path, into the water and in with the dolphins. It was an amazing experience!
10. Accessibility - this is the first trip my Mom has been in a wheelchair for. Wasn't sure how it was going to go. Sidewalks etc. were a bit of a challenge in a couple of spots, but not many at all! Cab drivers etc. were phenomenal in helping get wheelchair in and out and all tours etc were great as well. You can definetely do this vacation with someone in a wheelchair.
11.. Restaurants - we went to 2 outside our resort, both are great. Rustic, but awesome food.
Went to Three Dives on New Years Eve and to Presley's a couple days before we left. For Presley's , you have to order in the morning and make your reservation. There are only 4 tables and he buys his seafood fresh each day depending on what you order. Had lobster at both! Both great experiences and both memorable!
All in all........ don't go expecting a 5 star resort. Understand you are going to a 3rd world country. Also understand that if you don't tip, don't expect great service. This goes for just about every country you travel to. I tipped and brought items to give away. Some of the best items you can bring: toiletries, school supplies, pantyhose (cost a fortune there), perfume (even the 'smells like' stuff from the dollar store), over the counter medication (tylenol etc.), hand sanitizer, reading glasses from dollar store). I left the maid a couple of dollars and a couple of items each day. Tipped the bartenders, wait staff etc. Doesn't have to be alot. Makes all the difference in the world. This resort may not be a 5 star, but the customer service sure it!!!!!!!! I will go back, and I will stay here again! Already planning my next trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Seven Mile Negril beach resort hotel with pool, hot tub, watersports, jet skis, live reggae 2 nights a week, other parties and events! Beach and pool bars, seaside seafood and Jamaican specialties restaurant, room service, internet connection, cable TV, air conditioning - check out our internet specials! For the best value on the Negril beach check out Fun Holiday Beach Resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Fun Holiday Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fun Holiday Beach Hotel Negril
- Fun Holiday Beach Negril