“Wonderful time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Wonderful time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I also have never wrote a review before but had to for this resort. My husband and I went to FHBR Feb 18th and will be back. I as well did my research before we booked so were well aware and knowledgable about the resort and the amenities. What we did not like was far inferior to the family feeling at the resort and the wonderful staff. By far the staff and the fantastic food served were by far the best we ever had. Thank you to the staff for making our stay fantastic. Yes the beach area is narrow and maybe the picnic tables could be moved however if you mentioned this to James,
He would have very quickly. As for the entertainment we had four nights of some evening entertainment which was good enough for us as we like to sit and chat with other people anyway. The rooms were super clean and when I went to the desk once for something it was quickly delivered. As for the the thin walls I never travel without air plugs due to being a light sleeper anyway so we were ok. This was the first resort that I ever saw the manager and staff walking around the buffet and the beach asking how we were and if our needs are being met!! That was very nice. I even saw people getting bag lunches to take on their excursions, I have to say all the resorts we have been to I have not seen that before.
One recommendation I have is to put a few stools at the bar to sit and chat and have a red strip.

All in all we had a great trip for a great price and the great thing about Negril if it is not available at your resort go for a quick walk and you can get it. My attitude is for the price it really is not a big deal to spend a few bucks and support the locals.
Cape Breton,
Nova Scotia
Canada

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just back from a week at Fun Holiday. Was there for Bob Marley's Birthday celebrations. Overall I would give this hotel a 2.5 stars (could only do 2 or 3 so picked 2) out of 5.
We had a great time in Negril. Rented a car, travelled to other restaurants, bars, beaches but had FHB as our “head-quarters”. Being a small hotel(Not Resort) of 44 rooms we got to know most of the other guests very fast and enjoyed the easy going atmosphere and sharing stories with each other. If we were away for most of the day we would be asked "Where/what did you do today?" and we ask the same if we spent the day around the resort and noticed our new friends returning. The guests we met made this trip enjoyable. There were no children there during our stay and ages ranged from early 20’s to 80’s. Location is right in the middle of the action! Across the street was The Jungle – a large nightclub which only opens a few nights a week so noise didn’t seem to be an issue at bedtime.) There was a shopping centre within walking distance with many nice shops and a bar in the courtyard. There was also a flea market selling many of the same items very near us on the beach.
Service at this hotel was good. But... Not great. However – we find that after having been to Jamaica a few times as well as having travelled through the Bahamas – that the culture or “way” of the locals gives them a certain "nonchalant" attitude. This can sometimes come across as being rude or perhaps un-caring. Most of the servers and staff were good but one or 2 had this “way” about them. A few other previous reviewers have mentioned this about one of the bartenders - Narron.(spelling?) He could work on his people skills, as he seemed to scowl a lot and seemed tired/bothered all the time. You almost felt bad getting him to stand up again and make a few drinks. I would apologize and then realize I was on vacation and that it was his job. I tipped him a few times over the week but it didn’t seem to matter.
I loved the location on the beach as it was away from the big All Inc. resorts. The small beach in front of the hotel is small and the chairs are very old but James does his very best to make you feel comfortable and safe.
Upon arrival we were told to wait for our rooms (2 couples) so we went to the restaurant. Having been to Cuba many times and staying at 2-3 star resorts there - we were prepared for the rough surroundings but I have to admit that upon arrival we were a little disappointed. I was concerned as I looked at the very basic and worn-out surroundings whether we had made a wrong choice for ourselves and the other couple who were travelling with us for the very first time.
That being said the place grew on us after a few days and employees such as James (Beach Security) made the stay delightful.
Things like lack of water (hot or cold) at times, sporadic coffee supply and shortage of dishware were minor and we always shrug off these non-important things to remind ourselves of the big picture and why we travel south every year – the heat, the beach, the water and the break from work, snow, cold etc
The dining room supervisor was sweet and the hotel Manager was a great help with the car rental and always followed up with us. Colin at the cash bar was also great! The week long joke of “Can’t take Colin’s plate” never got old as he was always smiling and asking how everything was.
These people work so hard. It seems they all worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week. When we asked when/if they had a day off - they would shrug their shoulders and say they didn’t know. Perhaps when business slowed down! We were told by Colin that things haven’t been good since the economic collapse. The Canadians he said are still coming and thanks were given to us but he said the Americans haven’t been coming. He said his salary at the hotel basically paid his way to and from work each day and that his tips were what he had to live on. His dream of owning a motorcycle someday would help cut back on the cost($15.00) of 3 cabs each way to work.
Another person who I would like to mention is a server/dj/entertainer who danced at the steel drum show on Sunday night. She even arranged a “sit-in” drumming performance for one of our party. It made his vacation and was really appreciated!

Our room was on the 2nd floor and overlooked the beach when you turned to the right (see pictures). Our friends paid the room upgrade and were given a ground floor unit in front of the pool. So for the upgrade they had less distance and no stairs. Not sure if their view was any better or not though as the pool walls would have blocked most of it..
Lots of hagglers on the beach. Some were more persistant than most and had to be told “No thanks – All Fixup” many times. We went out at night to some of the beach bars to see live bands but recommend going in groups to be safe. Some like Alfreds have walls around them (to keep out locals) and charge cover (8.00 american)
Lots of drugs were offered but after a few days they seem to remember you and don’t ask as much.
On our drive to Savannah La Mar and Bluefields Bay Beach/Park we saw many big mansions in the hills. There were many Shanty Towns as well but it was surprising to see so much wealth. Many of the shops we visited seemed to be run (managed) by East Indians and people of Asian descent with most staff being of African descent.
Hope to return again someday. It had been 20 years since my last time. However Cuba always seems to be a better value so we will be returning there more often. I would return to Fun Holiday again as I love the Jamaican music and culture. Wha Gwaan? Evryting IRIE? Yah mon! Bob Marley’s birthday celebrations, Reggae etc etc. BUT the prices have to come down a little and/or improvements made.

Haliburton, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is my first review I have written and do enjoy reading reviews before picking destinations. That being said I felt I had to write about our recent holiday at Fun Holiday resort. We knew that it was not a 4 star hotel going into it and did not have high expectations.
BUT it was far below what we expected.
The rooms have very hard beds, fans do not work, and the walls are really paper thin. The connecting doors between rooms has a large gap and the various smoked substances from other rooms can and will waft into your room at all hours of the night.
The food: Breakfast was horrible, greasy squishy hotdogs and it was never ready on time. We chose to eat and pay for breakfast next door at The Whistling Bird resort (which was lovely by the way). Lunch was a hit or miss but dinner was always good.
The Bar: The bartender did not like to give out drinks. It seemed like way too much of a bother to serve you and rarely cracked a smile much less a comment or two and this was the entire week.
The Beach: Is gorgeous but the section owned by this resort very packed. They picnic tables block your view and completely useless as NO ONE sat at them.
Nightime: There is 2 nights of entertainment that's it. Bar is closed and nothing goes on after dinner.
Beach Guard James is a delight.
Also waitresses are lovely.
We ended up spending much more money than planned eating elsewhere and even staying at another hotel on the cliffs for a night to have a stay in a decent room at additional unplanned expense (The Rockhouse hotel is amazing!)

We had a great trip to Negril because the beach is amazing and we were able to have fun regardless but wished we had just spent a bit more at a better resort instead of spending it anyway.

Room Tip: I don't think there is one
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our 25th year of going to Negril and we have stayed at every type of accommodations you can find there, from a rastamon's shack to the 5 star A.I. With that said we had a great time here FHBR for the 2 weeks and would return again. This is a small 45 room hotel so you get to meet everyone and the staff really do get to know you. As a chatty person myself we met and chatted with so many different people from around the world here with many interesting conversation and experiences, I had a blast !!! The staff was very pleasing, accommodating and helpful for anything you needed. First off I did my research before booking this hotel so I had no surprises when we arrived. Remember this is a 2-3 star place. Checking in was a breeze as the Ladies at the front desk were very good and timely. At first we were given a room that we did not like. When we spoke to the front desk about our concerns the staff changed us to a new room right away, no delays. The 2nd room was perfect with a view of the ocean. The hotel grounds are very nice and clean, although the buildings could use some maintenance nothing major just a few tweaks here & there. Water pressure on the 2nd floor was not so good, but who cares I'm in Negril !! Our room was very clean as our maid did a wonderful job, again what we expected. The staff works very hard with little pay to keep the tourist happy, so please do tip the STAFF !!!!. They do wonders with what they have ! So please do TIP the staff as they do not get paid in comparison to the larger hotels. The food was very good, Jamaican style again no surprises. Robert the head Chef does a marvelous job when it comes to cooking jerk chicken. The meals were very tasty never bland and a variety of fish that I enjoyed daily. The bar is a little suspect, they advertise many types of drinks on their bar list but do not have hardly any of them. But we are not big drinkers so it really wasn't a problem. I wont mention anyone's name as I do not want to leave anyone out You were all excellent !!!!. The staff did a great job with what they have to work with. Remember the world is just coming out of a recession and places like Jamaica were hit hard without the tourism $$ so some of the smaller establishment are still trying to play catch-up. The beach is the reason we go to Negril so often, as the commercial says "Once you go you know" Fun Holiday Beach Resort was one of our best trips to-date, yes I would return here as it is about the quality of the people. FHBR was the real deal of Jamaican people, food & the friendliness we felt. Yes, there is room for improvement but only little things, if they were addressed & taken care of on a daily bases this hotel would be a 3-4 star hotel !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was skeptical of this hotel after reading all the reviews however for the price thought I would take the chance as it was central on one of the best beaches in Jamaica. Hotel definitely has room for improvements. Our transportation from the airport was efficient, would have been nice to have some tidbits of information provided but oh well. Check in was quick. Not that impressed about having to pay for the safe. We had brought our own beach towels so didnt have to worry about that. And really charging to have a coffee pot in the room ???? Stayed in the A Room bldg. they were very dated and could use some sprucing up. water pressure was iffy but we survived. Jennifer introduced herself and made sure our room was cleaned every day. AC worked. Food was okay and we didnt starve. There was the buffet with pretty short hours for meal times and you could also order off the menu ( although didnt find this out til later) Bar is only open til 10pm and most days it ran out of certain booze and/or mix. Nyron at times appeared like you were interrupting him when you went for a drink. Collin at the cash bar ( and even though we were all inclusive if we got from there we had to pay which seemed stupid) was great and fun to joke with. Beach is GORGEOUS and the hotel is perfectly located in the middle with so many things going on around it. So many options for entertainment and food along the beach. Entertainment occurred 3 times during our 7 night stay and was pretty decent. James is awesome on the beach and always chatting with patrons and keeping some of the pesky hawkers away. My only complaint on the beach is that were not enough cushions for the loungers and part way thru our stay they brought down a bunch of big picnic tables crowding the beach area. Andre was superb and always checking to see how things were and if we needed anything. Ally on the Hobie Cat was fun to talk with and also helped move loungers and such on the beach. Overall the stay was good and given the right (discount) price I might return here. There is a nightclub across the street that blares music so if you want to go to bed early then bring earplugs. Bring your own insulated cup for drinks. The hotel should get name tags for the staff.

Torquay, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at Fun Holiday for two weeks with my husband and baby.

Firstly, in previous years we have stayed at Fun Holiday a few times on a room only basis and had a fab time using it as a base.

This year was our first trip to Negril with our baby.
On arrival we were charged $5 a night for a cot to be in the room when we were assured by the company we booked the hotel with that it was included. We questioned this with reception who told us it was a 'special request' and this hadn't been granted. We were then placed on the first floor when we requested a ground floor room being told the same thing again...that it was a request. It just makes thing slightly difficult in carrying pushchairs up and down 30 stairs.
Our cot was delivered within minutes by the chef - who then asked for money (not a tip, wanted cash!) for doing so.

Our room was fine - basic but ok, we knew what to expect. Our TV was broken the first day, and the second day we had a newer tv put in the room. Air conditioning was cool - but extremely noisy!! No real complaints about the room per se. Water pressure didn't really effect us that much - one night we had it slow, but apart from that we were fine at the times of the day we used the bath / shower.

Food: - Guess this is the hard part. All inclusive for 14 nights with the same food day in day out kinda got a bit wearing by around day 9! The meals just got a bit boring - the food was very Jamaican which is great, as my husband is Jamaican but even he got bored. The meat (apart from the Jerk Chicken) tended to be cheap cuts of meat that weren't very good. The kitchen didn't look the cleanest in the world and the chef quite often walking up and down the beach in his whites.

Drink - As part of the AI it was available 10-10. There is one bar tender who works mainly behind that bar (not sure of his name, but he only does the bar - not like the others who wait as well) - he is just such a surly man!! He was either all or nothing, would be all smiles to some customers and then like to the likes of me and my family could barely raise a smile or even a hello from him. Any 'special' request that was asked was always met with a no. Even thought it wasn't particularly special as he quite happily did it for other guests. One day I asked simply for two pepsi's - he said no because he had no ice. I said don't worry, we will have it without - he walked off. I found him rude and he is the only member of staff in that resort who I felt went out of his way to be obstructive. I noticed he was like this with a few guests, but other guests he was making cocktails for them without being asked and taking them to their tables. If the other two male waiting staff ever popped behind the bar to serve, nothing was ever an issue. They do serve in tiny plastic cups - and like other posters the bar isn't well stocked. Appleton often ran out - Ice always ran out! I asked for coconut rum which is far cheaper in Jamaica than normal Appleton but they don't have that on their 'drinks menu' - it was just very basic.

Beach - lovely. Water gorgeous, sand amazing - we loved it.

Staff - all just lovely (except the one barman!) - James the security man was just adorable. He and Janet often took my baby for a walk and he loved them! we have some lovely photo's and memories of these two. Our room attendant Jennifer was lovely - amazing lady travelling such a long way to even get to work every day. Had a lot of time for her.
The what I think was the 'head waitress' (lady who wears an orange shirt) was lovely and really hard working and the lady who arranged the mid day entertainment was enthusiastic and funny.

We had a lovely holiday, we can't moan too much as we have to bear in mind this was the cheapest hotel option which is what we were after. You certainly do get what you pay for, but there are certainly areas which the hotel could improve on.

1) Just trying to be helpful to people's needs when they check in would be great - and sometimes, taking people's invoices at face value - our invoice quite clearly said a cot was included and it felt a little like it was a quick way to make $70 from us. We were offered to rent a kettle for $3 a night also....we went to Negril and bought one and gave it to the family in Negril afterwards.

2) Staff improvements - I know from my husband being from Negril that people are crying out for jobs! Every member of staff at that hotel seemed grateful for having work and had a smile on their face and nothing was a bother - except that one bar guy. It leaves lasting impressions.

We would stay again, probably next time back to room only again - but we had a nice time and met some lovely people. The one advantage to it being a small hotel is that you do get to know some of the guests fairly well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This is a "resort" that should put some emphasis on listening to what seemed to be the main complaints that most guests & ourselves had. The choices for food should not be Jamaican alone with the same or similar items day after day. We ended up eating out at Alfred's & Rondell Village(both close by and reasonable) even though we were all inclusive. The kitchen area is dirty & unkept so this also made it difficult to eat confidently. The buffet service staff always try to make you happy & that was appreciated as what is available is not there fault. The 10:am to 10:pm bar is limited but it was closing down at 9:30pm so lots of luck getting what you wanted then. They could not get product from the pay bar when they ran out for the guests who have already paid as part of the inclusive package(they already have your money so they make you buy at the pay bar) & this is unacceptable. The rooms are clean but dated & time spent there is minimal so this was not a problem for us. The resort grounds are generally clean & we did not use the pool(although they were cleaning daily) but there seemed to be no circulation for the water.
This place is located ideally on a beautiful beach & getting chairs seemed to be no problem. James who is daytime security on the beach is the best thing at this resort as he was always helpful & honestly concerned for you & your safety. We thank him for that. It could be worse but it could be so much better with minimal expense if they would just listen to the guests. Dinner should have bread & butter(not a container of margarine)& lettuce salad, etc. Coffee should be available at 7:am as guests were up early & waiting around on their holiday to enjoy a coffee to start the day & they see that but do not react. The night security guard could have it ready as he is there already anyways.
We met some great people & had some good experiences outside at the resort with Mark & Ellie from England, also David & Karin from Ontario Canada like ourselves. If you go, do not go all inclusive as you will need to buy your own wine and sometimes your drinks, when they run out, also because the food is very limited you will probably need to eat out.

Stayed January 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel
Travellers Beach Resort
Travellers Beach Resort
#26 of 90 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 682 reviews

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!