“Good Budget Hotel - not resort” 3 of 5 stars

You added Fun Holiday Beach Resort to your Saves list
Fun Holiday Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #61 of 91 Hotels in Negril
“Good Budget Hotel - not resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was skeptical of this hotel after reading all the reviews however for the price thought I would take the chance as it was central on one of the best beaches in Jamaica. Hotel definitely has room for improvements. Our transportation from the airport was efficient, would have been nice to have some tidbits of information provided but oh well. Check in was quick. Not that impressed about having to pay for the safe. We had brought our own beach towels so didnt have to worry about that. And really charging to have a coffee pot in the room ???? Stayed in the A Room bldg. they were very dated and could use some sprucing up. water pressure was iffy but we survived. Jennifer introduced herself and made sure our room was cleaned every day. AC worked. Food was okay and we didnt starve. There was the buffet with pretty short hours for meal times and you could also order off the menu ( although didnt find this out til later) Bar is only open til 10pm and most days it ran out of certain booze and/or mix. Nyron at times appeared like you were interrupting him when you went for a drink. Collin at the cash bar ( and even though we were all inclusive if we got from there we had to pay which seemed stupid) was great and fun to joke with. Beach is GORGEOUS and the hotel is perfectly located in the middle with so many things going on around it. So many options for entertainment and food along the beach. Entertainment occurred 3 times during our 7 night stay and was pretty decent. James is awesome on the beach and always chatting with patrons and keeping some of the pesky hawkers away. My only complaint on the beach is that were not enough cushions for the loungers and part way thru our stay they brought down a bunch of big picnic tables crowding the beach area. Andre was superb and always checking to see how things were and if we needed anything. Ally on the Hobie Cat was fun to talk with and also helped move loungers and such on the beach. Overall the stay was good and given the right (discount) price I might return here. There is a nightclub across the street that blares music so if you want to go to bed early then bring earplugs. Bring your own insulated cup for drinks. The hotel should get name tags for the staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Polish first
Torquay, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at Fun Holiday for two weeks with my husband and baby.

Firstly, in previous years we have stayed at Fun Holiday a few times on a room only basis and had a fab time using it as a base.

This year was our first trip to Negril with our baby.
On arrival we were charged $5 a night for a cot to be in the room when we were assured by the company we booked the hotel with that it was included. We questioned this with reception who told us it was a 'special request' and this hadn't been granted. We were then placed on the first floor when we requested a ground floor room being told the same thing again...that it was a request. It just makes thing slightly difficult in carrying pushchairs up and down 30 stairs.
Our cot was delivered within minutes by the chef - who then asked for money (not a tip, wanted cash!) for doing so.

Our room was fine - basic but ok, we knew what to expect. Our TV was broken the first day, and the second day we had a newer tv put in the room. Air conditioning was cool - but extremely noisy!! No real complaints about the room per se. Water pressure didn't really effect us that much - one night we had it slow, but apart from that we were fine at the times of the day we used the bath / shower.

Food: - Guess this is the hard part. All inclusive for 14 nights with the same food day in day out kinda got a bit wearing by around day 9! The meals just got a bit boring - the food was very Jamaican which is great, as my husband is Jamaican but even he got bored. The meat (apart from the Jerk Chicken) tended to be cheap cuts of meat that weren't very good. The kitchen didn't look the cleanest in the world and the chef quite often walking up and down the beach in his whites.

Drink - As part of the AI it was available 10-10. There is one bar tender who works mainly behind that bar (not sure of his name, but he only does the bar - not like the others who wait as well) - he is just such a surly man!! He was either all or nothing, would be all smiles to some customers and then like to the likes of me and my family could barely raise a smile or even a hello from him. Any 'special' request that was asked was always met with a no. Even thought it wasn't particularly special as he quite happily did it for other guests. One day I asked simply for two pepsi's - he said no because he had no ice. I said don't worry, we will have it without - he walked off. I found him rude and he is the only member of staff in that resort who I felt went out of his way to be obstructive. I noticed he was like this with a few guests, but other guests he was making cocktails for them without being asked and taking them to their tables. If the other two male waiting staff ever popped behind the bar to serve, nothing was ever an issue. They do serve in tiny plastic cups - and like other posters the bar isn't well stocked. Appleton often ran out - Ice always ran out! I asked for coconut rum which is far cheaper in Jamaica than normal Appleton but they don't have that on their 'drinks menu' - it was just very basic.

Beach - lovely. Water gorgeous, sand amazing - we loved it.

Staff - all just lovely (except the one barman!) - James the security man was just adorable. He and Janet often took my baby for a walk and he loved them! we have some lovely photo's and memories of these two. Our room attendant Jennifer was lovely - amazing lady travelling such a long way to even get to work every day. Had a lot of time for her.
The what I think was the 'head waitress' (lady who wears an orange shirt) was lovely and really hard working and the lady who arranged the mid day entertainment was enthusiastic and funny.

We had a lovely holiday, we can't moan too much as we have to bear in mind this was the cheapest hotel option which is what we were after. You certainly do get what you pay for, but there are certainly areas which the hotel could improve on.

1) Just trying to be helpful to people's needs when they check in would be great - and sometimes, taking people's invoices at face value - our invoice quite clearly said a cot was included and it felt a little like it was a quick way to make $70 from us. We were offered to rent a kettle for $3 a night also....we went to Negril and bought one and gave it to the family in Negril afterwards.

2) Staff improvements - I know from my husband being from Negril that people are crying out for jobs! Every member of staff at that hotel seemed grateful for having work and had a smile on their face and nothing was a bother - except that one bar guy. It leaves lasting impressions.

We would stay again, probably next time back to room only again - but we had a nice time and met some lovely people. The one advantage to it being a small hotel is that you do get to know some of the guests fairly well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This is a "resort" that should put some emphasis on listening to what seemed to be the main complaints that most guests & ourselves had. The choices for food should not be Jamaican alone with the same or similar items day after day. We ended up eating out at Alfred's & Rondell Village(both close by and reasonable) even though we were all inclusive. The kitchen area is dirty & unkept so this also made it difficult to eat confidently. The buffet service staff always try to make you happy & that was appreciated as what is available is not there fault. The 10:am to 10:pm bar is limited but it was closing down at 9:30pm so lots of luck getting what you wanted then. They could not get product from the pay bar when they ran out for the guests who have already paid as part of the inclusive package(they already have your money so they make you buy at the pay bar) & this is unacceptable. The rooms are clean but dated & time spent there is minimal so this was not a problem for us. The resort grounds are generally clean & we did not use the pool(although they were cleaning daily) but there seemed to be no circulation for the water.
This place is located ideally on a beautiful beach & getting chairs seemed to be no problem. James who is daytime security on the beach is the best thing at this resort as he was always helpful & honestly concerned for you & your safety. We thank him for that. It could be worse but it could be so much better with minimal expense if they would just listen to the guests. Dinner should have bread & butter(not a container of margarine)& lettuce salad, etc. Coffee should be available at 7:am as guests were up early & waiting around on their holiday to enjoy a coffee to start the day & they see that but do not react. The night security guard could have it ready as he is there already anyways.
We met some great people & had some good experiences outside at the resort with Mark & Ellie from England, also David & Karin from Ontario Canada like ourselves. If you go, do not go all inclusive as you will need to buy your own wine and sometimes your drinks, when they run out, also because the food is very limited you will probably need to eat out.

Stayed January 2013
Gatineau, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

i normally don't write reviews but the buyers be ware policy is for this one. I don't usually expect much from a cheap hotel but cleanliness and a bed that is softer than sleeping on a door, water for a shower not just trickling down the wall of the bath tub to the point of washing my hair under the tap and only if you had water at that time the city shuts the main water supply off at 10 p.m. and the hotel relies on the guests to inform them of no water to start the pumps of the water supply of the hotel, tv too funny, i guess power supply loose inside or something you had to play with it to make contact also remote that is tie wrapped together didn't work, this from the second room we moved to after major problems in our first room - food sucked to the point I bought a box of special K and lived on that for my breakfast, bar was a joke to the point i bought my own and had the bartender keep it cold for me. I asked for wine for with my meal but that is not included in the all inclusive pkg. up side staff were nice and try real hard to help - but the hotel should be condemned...a real disappointment....but if you decide to go be sure and insist that you are on the side with c and d rooms - a and b have not been renovated yet........

Room Tip: be sure to request the c or d side of the resort - a and b not renovated yet....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I traveled from January 4th until January 2013 and stayed at this hotel. First off you have to realize this is not a 4-5 star resort. If you go with high expectations you may be disappointed. Having said that, if you go with a laid back attitude you will probably have a good time. Because it is a smaller resort you will find your self meeting other guests...I was fortunate to meet some really great people. I met a lot of returning guests.
Rooms: Very basic but clean. Could use some updating of bed linens. Very poor water pressure in the shower. Great cable tv if that is what you are looking for...
Food: Robert and Wayne cook up some great Jamaican fare. Saturday Night beach party was the best.
Staff: Pretty friendly. I think everyone works very hard to try to please the guests.
Security: Very good. I traveled with another female friend and we felt safe on the resort.
Beach: WOW...I can't say enough about the beach and ocean and the most amazing sunsets you will ever see...I guarantee it! Water was crystal clear and I spent a lot of time enjoying the warm salt water.
Some more tips: Bring a beach towel and hair dryer otherwise you will be charged extra. I preferred staying in the upper level of the hotel.
Bottom line is go and enjoy the awesome beach. You can spend a lot more $$$ and stay somewhere else but it is still the same beach. How much time do you spend in your room any way?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I enjoyed vibing with the bartenders, and the nightly entertainment was nice. However, there was NO hot water, the rooms were outdated and their food menu/brunch wasn't that great. It's on the 7 mile beach strip, so it's right on the water, which is great for an expert tanner like myself :p

The receptionist took foreverrrr to sign us in (my family, family friends and I go down to negril every easter, so it's always about 20+ of us), compared to another resort..maybe we were spoiled because we went there every year until they closed for renovations.

I don't think I'd be going back..maybe for the nightly entertainment and drinks if I'm walking the beach, but that's about it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Prince Albert, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Ok hotel , small property. Run very badly.
pool and hot tub open 24 hrs, hot tub not very hot , like maybe 80 degrees
food was good but got the same stuff every second day, they had bacon 1 day for breakfast but had to order it only meat at breakfast was weiners.
We did not starve but did go out for dinner other places as we got sick of the same food.
Not really an all inclusive bar did not have many drinks , draught beer only (no wine) and they ran out of whatever you wanted to drink, but if you went to the pool bar (which is supposed to be part of the all inclusive) you could get what ever you wanted but you had to pay for it. There was a handprinted sign on a plain piece of paper that said Cash Bar. I think the bartenders were just pocketing the money. Ordered wine one night with dinner (had to go to front reception to ask for it) Took about an hour to get it they had to go buy it. Bartenders actually gave you the feeling you were interupting them or annoying them when you went to get a drink.
Resort got a bunch of new chairs and tables while we were there , seemed each day a new piece of furniture arrived. The beach chairs were bad old wooden and not enough pads to go around, they had about 6 of the new plastic ones, but again selfish tourists would get up at 5am and go down put towels on them then not show up till noon to use them. I was up around 7 every morning. If you wanted beach towels you had to rent them.
Had one night of entertainment Saturday night beach party it was good, but one of the performers came and sat with us and was drinking free booze all night , then he was off to work at the RIO (drunk).
Some of the staff were very nice, (maids front desk, hostess at dinner) others were like leaches (bartender, waiters) constantly coming and asking for cigarettes, actually they would come and just help themselves. While we were their the Owner or manager showed up , it was like a different hotel they actually cleaned the pool, swept and raked the beach removed your dirty plates from table etc and the meals improved, some of the staff were stoned(kitchen staff) but we were in jamaica lol.
Through the security guard we were hooked up with a driver who toured us wherever we wanted to go for a price of course but that portion made our trip.
Our room was basic and very noisy, clean , no bugs , the people in the next room were smoking pot all the time and the smell carried through our ajoining door along with them watching tv with volume at full blast at 3am could not sleep without earplugs.
Beach security kept the drug dealers at bay we were harassed at least once each by aggresive rude drug peddlers(not the hotels fault , security actually did a good job of keeping them away)
I probably would never stay here again, unless it was dirt cheap.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the ocean view NOT worth it your room was just closer to the beach . There are onl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!