“never again...this is the 1st and last time for fun holiday.....” 2 of 5 stars

Fun Holiday Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #58 of 89 Hotels in Negril
Gatineau, Canada
“never again...this is the 1st and last time for fun holiday.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

i normally don't write reviews but the buyers be ware policy is for this one. I don't usually expect much from a cheap hotel but cleanliness and a bed that is softer than sleeping on a door, water for a shower not just trickling down the wall of the bath tub to the point of washing my hair under the tap and only if you had water at that time the city shuts the main water supply off at 10 p.m. and the hotel relies on the guests to inform them of no water to start the pumps of the water supply of the hotel, tv too funny, i guess power supply loose inside or something you had to play with it to make contact also remote that is tie wrapped together didn't work, this from the second room we moved to after major problems in our first room - food sucked to the point I bought a box of special K and lived on that for my breakfast, bar was a joke to the point i bought my own and had the bartender keep it cold for me. I asked for wine for with my meal but that is not included in the all inclusive pkg. up side staff were nice and try real hard to help - but the hotel should be condemned...a real disappointment....but if you decide to go be sure and insist that you are on the side with c and d rooms - a and b have not been renovated yet........

Room Tip: be sure to request the c or d side of the resort - a and b not renovated yet....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I traveled from January 4th until January 2013 and stayed at this hotel. First off you have to realize this is not a 4-5 star resort. If you go with high expectations you may be disappointed. Having said that, if you go with a laid back attitude you will probably have a good time. Because it is a smaller resort you will find your self meeting other guests...I was fortunate to meet some really great people. I met a lot of returning guests.
Rooms: Very basic but clean. Could use some updating of bed linens. Very poor water pressure in the shower. Great cable tv if that is what you are looking for...
Food: Robert and Wayne cook up some great Jamaican fare. Saturday Night beach party was the best.
Staff: Pretty friendly. I think everyone works very hard to try to please the guests.
Security: Very good. I traveled with another female friend and we felt safe on the resort.
Beach: WOW...I can't say enough about the beach and ocean and the most amazing sunsets you will ever see...I guarantee it! Water was crystal clear and I spent a lot of time enjoying the warm salt water.
Some more tips: Bring a beach towel and hair dryer otherwise you will be charged extra. I preferred staying in the upper level of the hotel.
Bottom line is go and enjoy the awesome beach. You can spend a lot more $$$ and stay somewhere else but it is still the same beach. How much time do you spend in your room any way?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I enjoyed vibing with the bartenders, and the nightly entertainment was nice. However, there was NO hot water, the rooms were outdated and their food menu/brunch wasn't that great. It's on the 7 mile beach strip, so it's right on the water, which is great for an expert tanner like myself :p

The receptionist took foreverrrr to sign us in (my family, family friends and I go down to negril every easter, so it's always about 20+ of us), compared to another resort..maybe we were spoiled because we went there every year until they closed for renovations.

I don't think I'd be going back..maybe for the nightly entertainment and drinks if I'm walking the beach, but that's about it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Prince Albert, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Ok hotel , small property. Run very badly.
pool and hot tub open 24 hrs, hot tub not very hot , like maybe 80 degrees
food was good but got the same stuff every second day, they had bacon 1 day for breakfast but had to order it only meat at breakfast was weiners.
We did not starve but did go out for dinner other places as we got sick of the same food.
Not really an all inclusive bar did not have many drinks , draught beer only (no wine) and they ran out of whatever you wanted to drink, but if you went to the pool bar (which is supposed to be part of the all inclusive) you could get what ever you wanted but you had to pay for it. There was a handprinted sign on a plain piece of paper that said Cash Bar. I think the bartenders were just pocketing the money. Ordered wine one night with dinner (had to go to front reception to ask for it) Took about an hour to get it they had to go buy it. Bartenders actually gave you the feeling you were interupting them or annoying them when you went to get a drink.
Resort got a bunch of new chairs and tables while we were there , seemed each day a new piece of furniture arrived. The beach chairs were bad old wooden and not enough pads to go around, they had about 6 of the new plastic ones, but again selfish tourists would get up at 5am and go down put towels on them then not show up till noon to use them. I was up around 7 every morning. If you wanted beach towels you had to rent them.
Had one night of entertainment Saturday night beach party it was good, but one of the performers came and sat with us and was drinking free booze all night , then he was off to work at the RIO (drunk).
Some of the staff were very nice, (maids front desk, hostess at dinner) others were like leaches (bartender, waiters) constantly coming and asking for cigarettes, actually they would come and just help themselves. While we were their the Owner or manager showed up , it was like a different hotel they actually cleaned the pool, swept and raked the beach removed your dirty plates from table etc and the meals improved, some of the staff were stoned(kitchen staff) but we were in jamaica lol.
Through the security guard we were hooked up with a driver who toured us wherever we wanted to go for a price of course but that portion made our trip.
Our room was basic and very noisy, clean , no bugs , the people in the next room were smoking pot all the time and the smell carried through our ajoining door along with them watching tv with volume at full blast at 3am could not sleep without earplugs.
Beach security kept the drug dealers at bay we were harassed at least once each by aggresive rude drug peddlers(not the hotels fault , security actually did a good job of keeping them away)
I probably would never stay here again, unless it was dirt cheap.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the ocean view NOT worth it your room was just closer to the beach . There are onl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Stoney Creek, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My name is Nicholas Augerinosand I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful resort from Dec. 29/12 to Jan.12/13. Superbly located at the heart of Negril's 7 mile World famous beach, it boasts great clean rooms with ocean view, right on the beach! When you combine the excellent service, food, beach and location, this resort is eceptional value for your money. Evey meal was deliciously cooked by their chef Robert, with consistent talent and vast variety! You can find plenty of watersports and boat tours and reccomend the glass bottom tour to the nearby reef for snorkelling and the tiny island where fresh lobster is grilled as well as, the sunset trip to Pirate's cave and Rick's cafe, one of the World's 10 Best Bars. I went on Captain's Eveready boat with his co-captain Darek. I also hired a driver and saw the nearby coastal fishing villages of Brighton, Little Bay and Braughton Lost Beach ( my favorite). Jamaica's diversity ensures something beauiful for everyone! The water is completely safe to drink, they speak English and the friendly people make you feel at home. I do not understand why we support Cuba, at present a communist regime, when we should be spending our dollars in Jamaica, a democratic country where you can feel safe, free to travel and voice your opinion without reprisals.. I have travelled to both countries a few times and Jamaica outshines Cuba, anytime!
Can't wait to go back to Negril and bathe in its eternal beauty!
My thanks to Bill for his warm hospitality and oustanding service!

Room Tip: Highly recommend upgrading to their two beachfront rooms with panoramic ocean vistas and spectacular...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

fun hoilday is the worst place i ever been i was sick for the whole week i was their jus to hear the things staff say done their i did not understand some of the things in question like they say the boss is in voo do r obeah what that and the coffee not good their i had to buy my coffee else where cause is pure water . i ask sherica the waitress and she was like i just start working here and all she knows is the boss share the coffee in half that way even the orange juice is different she say the boss mix his own orange juice too ,pancake surup too my belly hurt me all weak .my husband was so upset of know ing am sick maybe of the thinhs they mix here even in the bar they mix too .sherica even let me have a look in the kitchen its a mess to know food come out the after dinner the chef gone the floor full a garbage roach runing up and down . i will never go their back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

First off let me state that Staff are absolutely amazing, genuine, and friendly and who work very hard. We had read several reviews and done our research before booking and knew exactly what to expect, there was no let downs. We wanted a smaller beach front resort, unlike the giant resorts- prisons for the rich (which we have stayed before). Here the staff actually knows you by name and not your room number. Bill (owner) & Mariann (front desk) had been very helpful and prompt when replying to our emails even before our arrival.

Even though our flight was delayed and we arrived late to Fun Holiday our first impression of the resort was that of a lasting one. Front desk staff eagerly assisted us with our room and when I passed by the dinner buffet to check out the spectacular Negril beach, Andre (jack-of-all trades) made his way to the beach to ensure we would get a bite to eat and drinks since arriving so late. The great service and hospitality did not stop there.

We had 2 wonderful women, Sophie and Jennifer who ensured we always had clean linens, towels and tp not to mention a super clean room when we did require the services (only wanted our room cleaned 3 times during our 13 day stay - as who really needs it every day ??? no need to be pigs while on vacation).

Every morning Robert, Wayne and the gang in the kitchen had a wonderful breakfast buffet. I especially enjoyed the calalloo and festival. They also had equally good lunch and dinner buffets and the quality of the food improved day after day. We also ordered several times off the menu. Meeting Roberts family and grandkids was an absolute delight.
Nyron and Collin made sure we were looked after at the bar. Collin makes a great Pina Colada and we became close friends with Nyron as he has a wonderful personality, great character and killer smile.

We always felt safe at the resort and on the beach. Cudos to the security staff -Richard, Lawrence, James and Ms Ritchie who all did an outstanding job! James also made sure we had chairs on the beach for when we wanted to chill and tan. Fritz Roy was always grooming the grounds and making us laugh.

The pool was always cleaned and we use it almost every day, from the hot tub to playing ball with the local kids was a joy. We also used the jetski rental at the resort from Ninja, which was the cheapest rate on the beach and had a blast. The entertainment included a dinner party on the beach and a couple of shows including the Fireman and live bands some evenings. We even won a monetary prize playing crazy bingo. During the day we played dominos and cribbage and cards with staff. Kahleel is the newly appointed activity director and had plenty of fun games for us to enjoy. She is a great girl with a positive attitude.

My only regret was not getting around to using the massage services offered by Janet at the resort. I am still kicking myself for that one.

Be sure to check out late-night shows next door at Roots Bamboo, the Boat Bar where you can play pool, Desmonds gift shop and Myrnas convenience store.

We had an awesome time, met genuine people who have become friends and would definately return. Thanks to all the staff :) We miss you so much already.

Room Tip: We had a wonderful room on the ground floor Room #C107.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Resort
CocoLaPalm Resort
CocoLaPalm Resort
#25 of 89 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 781 reviews

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!