“Nice Pool and beach area but..” 3 of 5 stars

Fun Holiday Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #60 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Kingston, Jamaica
“Nice Pool and beach area but..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I enjoyed vibing with the bartenders, and the nightly entertainment was nice. However, there was NO hot water, the rooms were outdated and their food menu/brunch wasn't that great. It's on the 7 mile beach strip, so it's right on the water, which is great for an expert tanner like myself :p

The receptionist took foreverrrr to sign us in (my family, family friends and I go down to negril every easter, so it's always about 20+ of us), compared to another resort..maybe we were spoiled because we went there every year until they closed for renovations.

I don't think I'd be going back..maybe for the nightly entertainment and drinks if I'm walking the beach, but that's about it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Polish first
Prince Albert, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Ok hotel , small property. Run very badly.
pool and hot tub open 24 hrs, hot tub not very hot , like maybe 80 degrees
food was good but got the same stuff every second day, they had bacon 1 day for breakfast but had to order it only meat at breakfast was weiners.
We did not starve but did go out for dinner other places as we got sick of the same food.
Not really an all inclusive bar did not have many drinks , draught beer only (no wine) and they ran out of whatever you wanted to drink, but if you went to the pool bar (which is supposed to be part of the all inclusive) you could get what ever you wanted but you had to pay for it. There was a handprinted sign on a plain piece of paper that said Cash Bar. I think the bartenders were just pocketing the money. Ordered wine one night with dinner (had to go to front reception to ask for it) Took about an hour to get it they had to go buy it. Bartenders actually gave you the feeling you were interupting them or annoying them when you went to get a drink.
Resort got a bunch of new chairs and tables while we were there , seemed each day a new piece of furniture arrived. The beach chairs were bad old wooden and not enough pads to go around, they had about 6 of the new plastic ones, but again selfish tourists would get up at 5am and go down put towels on them then not show up till noon to use them. I was up around 7 every morning. If you wanted beach towels you had to rent them.
Had one night of entertainment Saturday night beach party it was good, but one of the performers came and sat with us and was drinking free booze all night , then he was off to work at the RIO (drunk).
Some of the staff were very nice, (maids front desk, hostess at dinner) others were like leaches (bartender, waiters) constantly coming and asking for cigarettes, actually they would come and just help themselves. While we were their the Owner or manager showed up , it was like a different hotel they actually cleaned the pool, swept and raked the beach removed your dirty plates from table etc and the meals improved, some of the staff were stoned(kitchen staff) but we were in jamaica lol.
Through the security guard we were hooked up with a driver who toured us wherever we wanted to go for a price of course but that portion made our trip.
Our room was basic and very noisy, clean , no bugs , the people in the next room were smoking pot all the time and the smell carried through our ajoining door along with them watching tv with volume at full blast at 3am could not sleep without earplugs.
Beach security kept the drug dealers at bay we were harassed at least once each by aggresive rude drug peddlers(not the hotels fault , security actually did a good job of keeping them away)
I probably would never stay here again, unless it was dirt cheap.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the ocean view NOT worth it your room was just closer to the beach . There are onl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Stoney Creek, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My name is Nicholas Augerinosand I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful resort from Dec. 29/12 to Jan.12/13. Superbly located at the heart of Negril's 7 mile World famous beach, it boasts great clean rooms with ocean view, right on the beach! When you combine the excellent service, food, beach and location, this resort is eceptional value for your money. Evey meal was deliciously cooked by their chef Robert, with consistent talent and vast variety! You can find plenty of watersports and boat tours and reccomend the glass bottom tour to the nearby reef for snorkelling and the tiny island where fresh lobster is grilled as well as, the sunset trip to Pirate's cave and Rick's cafe, one of the World's 10 Best Bars. I went on Captain's Eveready boat with his co-captain Darek. I also hired a driver and saw the nearby coastal fishing villages of Brighton, Little Bay and Braughton Lost Beach ( my favorite). Jamaica's diversity ensures something beauiful for everyone! The water is completely safe to drink, they speak English and the friendly people make you feel at home. I do not understand why we support Cuba, at present a communist regime, when we should be spending our dollars in Jamaica, a democratic country where you can feel safe, free to travel and voice your opinion without reprisals.. I have travelled to both countries a few times and Jamaica outshines Cuba, anytime!
Can't wait to go back to Negril and bathe in its eternal beauty!
My thanks to Bill for his warm hospitality and oustanding service!

Room Tip: Highly recommend upgrading to their two beachfront rooms with panoramic ocean vistas and spectacular...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

fun hoilday is the worst place i ever been i was sick for the whole week i was their jus to hear the things staff say done their i did not understand some of the things in question like they say the boss is in voo do r obeah what that and the coffee not good their i had to buy my coffee else where cause is pure water . i ask sherica the waitress and she was like i just start working here and all she knows is the boss share the coffee in half that way even the orange juice is different she say the boss mix his own orange juice too ,pancake surup too my belly hurt me all weak .my husband was so upset of know ing am sick maybe of the thinhs they mix here even in the bar they mix too .sherica even let me have a look in the kitchen its a mess to know food come out the after dinner the chef gone the floor full a garbage roach runing up and down . i will never go their back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

First off let me state that Staff are absolutely amazing, genuine, and friendly and who work very hard. We had read several reviews and done our research before booking and knew exactly what to expect, there was no let downs. We wanted a smaller beach front resort, unlike the giant resorts- prisons for the rich (which we have stayed before). Here the staff actually knows you by name and not your room number. Bill (owner) & Mariann (front desk) had been very helpful and prompt when replying to our emails even before our arrival.

Even though our flight was delayed and we arrived late to Fun Holiday our first impression of the resort was that of a lasting one. Front desk staff eagerly assisted us with our room and when I passed by the dinner buffet to check out the spectacular Negril beach, Andre (jack-of-all trades) made his way to the beach to ensure we would get a bite to eat and drinks since arriving so late. The great service and hospitality did not stop there.

We had 2 wonderful women, Sophie and Jennifer who ensured we always had clean linens, towels and tp not to mention a super clean room when we did require the services (only wanted our room cleaned 3 times during our 13 day stay - as who really needs it every day ??? no need to be pigs while on vacation).

Every morning Robert, Wayne and the gang in the kitchen had a wonderful breakfast buffet. I especially enjoyed the calalloo and festival. They also had equally good lunch and dinner buffets and the quality of the food improved day after day. We also ordered several times off the menu. Meeting Roberts family and grandkids was an absolute delight.
Nyron and Collin made sure we were looked after at the bar. Collin makes a great Pina Colada and we became close friends with Nyron as he has a wonderful personality, great character and killer smile.

We always felt safe at the resort and on the beach. Cudos to the security staff -Richard, Lawrence, James and Ms Ritchie who all did an outstanding job! James also made sure we had chairs on the beach for when we wanted to chill and tan. Fritz Roy was always grooming the grounds and making us laugh.

The pool was always cleaned and we use it almost every day, from the hot tub to playing ball with the local kids was a joy. We also used the jetski rental at the resort from Ninja, which was the cheapest rate on the beach and had a blast. The entertainment included a dinner party on the beach and a couple of shows including the Fireman and live bands some evenings. We even won a monetary prize playing crazy bingo. During the day we played dominos and cribbage and cards with staff. Kahleel is the newly appointed activity director and had plenty of fun games for us to enjoy. She is a great girl with a positive attitude.

My only regret was not getting around to using the massage services offered by Janet at the resort. I am still kicking myself for that one.

Be sure to check out late-night shows next door at Roots Bamboo, the Boat Bar where you can play pool, Desmonds gift shop and Myrnas convenience store.

We had an awesome time, met genuine people who have become friends and would definately return. Thanks to all the staff :) We miss you so much already.

Room Tip: We had a wonderful room on the ground floor Room #C107.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had booked this all inclusive last minute to get away for the holidays (Dec 29, 2012-Jan 5 2013). I was a little nervous after reading some bad reviews, and my first night there seemed a little disappointing.

First off, the sunwing bus had dropped everyone to the nicer hotels (like the RIU) and as we kept on going down the road, my wife and I the only ones on the bus, it started to feel like we were going to a really crappy place. I had booked an ocean view room, and instead was on the first floor, where everyone can see us come in and out from the eating area. The walls were thin, and you can hear everything happening outside and in your neighboring room. The first few minutes we were in the room, we heard the neighbors making a lot of noise screaming (due to very loud sexual intercourse occurring).

It takes about a day or two to get used to, but then you start seeing the REAL Jamaica. The Negril you will not see at the better hotels. On the second day we were moved upstairs, and this was what helped make the trip much better. We had an actual Ocean view room, and I enjoyed just hanging out on the balcony sometimes and enjoying the views. You overlook the pool and the lunch area, but you get a great view of the water and sunsets.

If you are okay with people smoking weed all around you, and interacting with the people, who will open up to you if you are genuine, experience real Jamaican food, then it is a good trip.

There are some down sides, and I will list them below:
- strange sewage smells that comes and goes throughout the day
- loud music until all hours of the night on certain days, including what I think is a club across the street; occasional music blasting from unknown places
- can hear every movement your neighbour makes as well as what is happening outside (meaning they can probably also hear what you are doing too)
- meals, drinks are not put out at exact times
- water pressure is bad, sometimes the water runs out until they refill the tank

Pros:
- authentic Jamaica (chill out and enjoy what Bob Marley was talking about)
- meet amazing people (other guests as well as the staff are incredible to speak to)
- beautiful sunsets every night
- interact with the locals
- great jerk chicken and jerk pork and other Jamaican food (although sometimes the food is basic)

If you are able to acclimate to the Jamaican way of life and chill out, you will enjoy this trip. If you don't acclimate and are looking to be pampered, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs Ocean View, it will really enhance the trip.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but this time i thought I should, just to let people know what they are really getting into...

We booked at the fun holiday due to the location of the resort on the beach its pretty central and within walking distance to pretty much everthing. Going in I didn't have overly high expectations as this resort is only 3 stars. However upon checking in we were given a list of what was included in the all-inclusive package breakfast, lunch dinner and a grill on the beach it listed what times everything was happening and also listed the forms of entertainment that would occur during our week stay.

For the 7 days we were there not once did the grill on the beach take place. We asked after 3 days when this might happen and were told maybe the next day or 2 with a chuckle. The food in the buffet for breakfast was just terrible and we ended up not eating breakfast at our resort. lunch and dinner were a bit better but still a bit questionable.

As for the entertainment nothing on the sheet provided happened. No limbo no fire dancers nothing. It was very disappointing.

The all-inclusive bar was a joke they had a list of drinks that were available but when we tried to order certain drinks they were all out of the mix or something and made no effort to get it replaced. Even trying to order a drink was difficult as the bar tender was never at the bar and we had to wait for him to come out of hiding.

the rooms were super basic with 2 beds a dresser and a TV in them oh and ants glore. There was no running water in our 2 rooms the second night and when I went down to the main desk the lady said she would look into it. a couple hours later still no water, we went down again the office was closed we found someone and they said "someone had turned off the main water valve" and they were in the process of turning it back on and filling the water tanks. another Hour later we finally had running water again. This happened again 2 nights later again when we when down to say we had no running water all i got was a ok thanks.

I guess the cable was also out but I'm not one to watch TV while on vacation. So that didn't bother me but i guess some of the other guest were upset with it.

This resort needs a lot of work and if you plan on coming here I do not recommend the all-clusive deal so not worth it.

The only thing that i can say is going for this resort is the beach, but even then stake out your chair the night before with your towel or you will be out of luck in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!