“cheap place . dont go their” 1 of 5 stars

Fun Holiday Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #61 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Ottawa, Canada
“cheap place . dont go their”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

fun hoilday is the worst place i ever been i was sick for the whole week i was their jus to hear the things staff say done their i did not understand some of the things in question like they say the boss is in voo do r obeah what that and the coffee not good their i had to buy my coffee else where cause is pure water . i ask sherica the waitress and she was like i just start working here and all she knows is the boss share the coffee in half that way even the orange juice is different she say the boss mix his own orange juice too ,pancake surup too my belly hurt me all weak .my husband was so upset of know ing am sick maybe of the thinhs they mix here even in the bar they mix too .sherica even let me have a look in the kitchen its a mess to know food come out the after dinner the chef gone the floor full a garbage roach runing up and down . i will never go their back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Polish first
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

First off let me state that Staff are absolutely amazing, genuine, and friendly and who work very hard. We had read several reviews and done our research before booking and knew exactly what to expect, there was no let downs. We wanted a smaller beach front resort, unlike the giant resorts- prisons for the rich (which we have stayed before). Here the staff actually knows you by name and not your room number. Bill (owner) & Mariann (front desk) had been very helpful and prompt when replying to our emails even before our arrival.

Even though our flight was delayed and we arrived late to Fun Holiday our first impression of the resort was that of a lasting one. Front desk staff eagerly assisted us with our room and when I passed by the dinner buffet to check out the spectacular Negril beach, Andre (jack-of-all trades) made his way to the beach to ensure we would get a bite to eat and drinks since arriving so late. The great service and hospitality did not stop there.

We had 2 wonderful women, Sophie and Jennifer who ensured we always had clean linens, towels and tp not to mention a super clean room when we did require the services (only wanted our room cleaned 3 times during our 13 day stay - as who really needs it every day ??? no need to be pigs while on vacation).

Every morning Robert, Wayne and the gang in the kitchen had a wonderful breakfast buffet. I especially enjoyed the calalloo and festival. They also had equally good lunch and dinner buffets and the quality of the food improved day after day. We also ordered several times off the menu. Meeting Roberts family and grandkids was an absolute delight.
Nyron and Collin made sure we were looked after at the bar. Collin makes a great Pina Colada and we became close friends with Nyron as he has a wonderful personality, great character and killer smile.

We always felt safe at the resort and on the beach. Cudos to the security staff -Richard, Lawrence, James and Ms Ritchie who all did an outstanding job! James also made sure we had chairs on the beach for when we wanted to chill and tan. Fritz Roy was always grooming the grounds and making us laugh.

The pool was always cleaned and we use it almost every day, from the hot tub to playing ball with the local kids was a joy. We also used the jetski rental at the resort from Ninja, which was the cheapest rate on the beach and had a blast. The entertainment included a dinner party on the beach and a couple of shows including the Fireman and live bands some evenings. We even won a monetary prize playing crazy bingo. During the day we played dominos and cribbage and cards with staff. Kahleel is the newly appointed activity director and had plenty of fun games for us to enjoy. She is a great girl with a positive attitude.

My only regret was not getting around to using the massage services offered by Janet at the resort. I am still kicking myself for that one.

Be sure to check out late-night shows next door at Roots Bamboo, the Boat Bar where you can play pool, Desmonds gift shop and Myrnas convenience store.

We had an awesome time, met genuine people who have become friends and would definately return. Thanks to all the staff :) We miss you so much already.

Room Tip: We had a wonderful room on the ground floor Room #C107.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had booked this all inclusive last minute to get away for the holidays (Dec 29, 2012-Jan 5 2013). I was a little nervous after reading some bad reviews, and my first night there seemed a little disappointing.

First off, the sunwing bus had dropped everyone to the nicer hotels (like the RIU) and as we kept on going down the road, my wife and I the only ones on the bus, it started to feel like we were going to a really crappy place. I had booked an ocean view room, and instead was on the first floor, where everyone can see us come in and out from the eating area. The walls were thin, and you can hear everything happening outside and in your neighboring room. The first few minutes we were in the room, we heard the neighbors making a lot of noise screaming (due to very loud sexual intercourse occurring).

It takes about a day or two to get used to, but then you start seeing the REAL Jamaica. The Negril you will not see at the better hotels. On the second day we were moved upstairs, and this was what helped make the trip much better. We had an actual Ocean view room, and I enjoyed just hanging out on the balcony sometimes and enjoying the views. You overlook the pool and the lunch area, but you get a great view of the water and sunsets.

If you are okay with people smoking weed all around you, and interacting with the people, who will open up to you if you are genuine, experience real Jamaican food, then it is a good trip.

There are some down sides, and I will list them below:
- strange sewage smells that comes and goes throughout the day
- loud music until all hours of the night on certain days, including what I think is a club across the street; occasional music blasting from unknown places
- can hear every movement your neighbour makes as well as what is happening outside (meaning they can probably also hear what you are doing too)
- meals, drinks are not put out at exact times
- water pressure is bad, sometimes the water runs out until they refill the tank

Pros:
- authentic Jamaica (chill out and enjoy what Bob Marley was talking about)
- meet amazing people (other guests as well as the staff are incredible to speak to)
- beautiful sunsets every night
- interact with the locals
- great jerk chicken and jerk pork and other Jamaican food (although sometimes the food is basic)

If you are able to acclimate to the Jamaican way of life and chill out, you will enjoy this trip. If you don't acclimate and are looking to be pampered, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs Ocean View, it will really enhance the trip.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but this time i thought I should, just to let people know what they are really getting into...

We booked at the fun holiday due to the location of the resort on the beach its pretty central and within walking distance to pretty much everthing. Going in I didn't have overly high expectations as this resort is only 3 stars. However upon checking in we were given a list of what was included in the all-inclusive package breakfast, lunch dinner and a grill on the beach it listed what times everything was happening and also listed the forms of entertainment that would occur during our week stay.

For the 7 days we were there not once did the grill on the beach take place. We asked after 3 days when this might happen and were told maybe the next day or 2 with a chuckle. The food in the buffet for breakfast was just terrible and we ended up not eating breakfast at our resort. lunch and dinner were a bit better but still a bit questionable.

As for the entertainment nothing on the sheet provided happened. No limbo no fire dancers nothing. It was very disappointing.

The all-inclusive bar was a joke they had a list of drinks that were available but when we tried to order certain drinks they were all out of the mix or something and made no effort to get it replaced. Even trying to order a drink was difficult as the bar tender was never at the bar and we had to wait for him to come out of hiding.

the rooms were super basic with 2 beds a dresser and a TV in them oh and ants glore. There was no running water in our 2 rooms the second night and when I went down to the main desk the lady said she would look into it. a couple hours later still no water, we went down again the office was closed we found someone and they said "someone had turned off the main water valve" and they were in the process of turning it back on and filling the water tanks. another Hour later we finally had running water again. This happened again 2 nights later again when we when down to say we had no running water all i got was a ok thanks.

I guess the cable was also out but I'm not one to watch TV while on vacation. So that didn't bother me but i guess some of the other guest were upset with it.

This resort needs a lot of work and if you plan on coming here I do not recommend the all-clusive deal so not worth it.

The only thing that i can say is going for this resort is the beach, but even then stake out your chair the night before with your towel or you will be out of luck in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have stayed at this resort 3 times. I usually get busy when I come back to Toronto and have forgotten to write reviews. This time, I owe it to the wonderful people who work at this resort and consistently go out of their way to make your stay a great experience to write a well-earned & deserving review. They truly treat you like you are at home & as part of the family. The fact that I have gone back to this resort is a testament of my overall experience. I am also writing this as I find some of the negative reviews simply unfair.
The property has a great location on a great beach close to everything imaginable both beach & road side. Rooms are spacious, clean & basic. There's AC & basic TV. The TV package has all the essentials covering news, sports & movies. They even have CBC & CityTV if you fancy some CDN content. For Quebecers there’s TV5 for French content. I find that all room amenities, although basic, just suit me when on vacation as I am either out & about or just sleeping/resting when back in the room. I also find the food very good. It has variety, is fresh & has local representation. The callaloo, Festival and all the Curries are simply delicious.
Yes the bar closes at 10 pm. Which is great really as the resort is basically quiet & a great place to rest. I find that I always go out for entertainment in the area anyways [bars, concerts, dining etc]. And frankly when I come back, I want to go back somewhere quiet so I can rest [just like I want it at home...]. I generally avoid round-the-clock & rowdy resorts anyways as, like I say, when back from a good night of partying, I want a clean, cool room in a quiet place so I can rest.
There’s free wifi all over the resort except the rooms. You’ll have to come on the balcony to get connected.
Also, I have partied with a few guests on each of my 3 stays over the last year-&-half past 10 in the bar and resto area. As long as we were mindful of all the other guests the security and overall staff allow you to drink your own alcohol and stay as long as you want.
Everyone working at this resort is great. KD at the front desk was simply fantastic upon my arrival. As always I feel safe & at home at once with Richard, Lawrence & Ms Ritchie [security]. Richard & Biggs [grounds] although busy with their daily work always chat and make you smile like great friends. Nyron & Collin at the bar are constantly making sure you have everything and your glass is full. Robert & Wayne although in the kitchen, always come out & personalize your experience in the resto. The wait staff Shelly, Audette, Judith & Andre are simply amazing. They always smile and remember your favorites and add a sweet and friendly touch to breaky, lunch & dinner. And Jennifer makes sure your room is clean and cool when you get back in. She is simply amazing. Everyone at this resort makes an honest attempt to get to know you in order to make a lasting impression on you.
On this trip, I also did an excursion to YS Falls & the Pelican bar using Mr. Fix-it’s tour service which included George as our driver. They are registered at the resort and take care of you like family. If you think the sunset at Rick’s is something, try going to The Pelican Bar and experiencing the sunset there. It’s awesome.
Sorry for this belated review. Every single one of my stays deserved a review of this kind.
I will always go back to this resort for the value & the great experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This resort/hotel is small compared to some others I've stayed and I believe total number of rooms are under 50. and I actually booked it due to some of the great reviews I saw here on Trip Advisor.
However, I have to say this resort has lots of potential though small. Needs a good landscaper to come in and boost the property. Rooms are great size but could use some updating such as additional furniture and wall paintings. BEDS ARE THUMBS UP AMAZING. Staff is great. Food was good....However, kitchen staff should work on getting foods out early. But still I would have to give this property 2 stars.
My family and I stayed here ONLY one night (Dec 18-19, 2012) and we were ready to leave. The grounds were just filled with trash and not well kept, and the security and other male workers on the property lacks the professional look.
This thing about not having water for 2-3 hours is just insane.NO ONE should have to deal with that when staying at a resort. I remember my mom calling me from her room saying she has no water! Being shocked by that I decided to check for myself. Then immediately i made my way to the front desk rep Latoya...who then explained it to me what's going on but by then my family was fuming as well as many other hotel guests. Another issue i had was the ganja! I've never stayed at a resort/hotel where it seems like I was in the midst of a ganga(marijuana) field. When i sit on the upstairs balcony of my room I'm inhaling marijuana...when I walk out my room its the same thing.
It was such a turn off at check-in. There was 2 gentleman in the office who never at one point made eye contact but instead kept their focus on a computer screen and their blackberry. If Latoya stepped away you have to wait till she gets back as they act like NO ONE ELSE exist.
I paid for my family to eat from the buffet and only to find out that it doesn't allow for not even 1 drink! ONLY Water.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

One night in this hotel (it was part of our tour round Jamaica). Good food, friendly staff but a little slow service. Amazing beach and music and dance and games in the evening. All the guests were nice. Some local wanted to sell ganja, but when you say no, they understand. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!