“excellent value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Toronto, Canada
“excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have stayed at this resort 3 times. I usually get busy when I come back to Toronto and have forgotten to write reviews. This time, I owe it to the wonderful people who work at this resort and consistently go out of their way to make your stay a great experience to write a well-earned & deserving review. They truly treat you like you are at home & as part of the family. The fact that I have gone back to this resort is a testament of my overall experience. I am also writing this as I find some of the negative reviews simply unfair.
The property has a great location on a great beach close to everything imaginable both beach & road side. Rooms are spacious, clean & basic. There's AC & basic TV. The TV package has all the essentials covering news, sports & movies. They even have CBC & CityTV if you fancy some CDN content. For Quebecers there’s TV5 for French content. I find that all room amenities, although basic, just suit me when on vacation as I am either out & about or just sleeping/resting when back in the room. I also find the food very good. It has variety, is fresh & has local representation. The callaloo, Festival and all the Curries are simply delicious.
Yes the bar closes at 10 pm. Which is great really as the resort is basically quiet & a great place to rest. I find that I always go out for entertainment in the area anyways [bars, concerts, dining etc]. And frankly when I come back, I want to go back somewhere quiet so I can rest [just like I want it at home...]. I generally avoid round-the-clock & rowdy resorts anyways as, like I say, when back from a good night of partying, I want a clean, cool room in a quiet place so I can rest.
There’s free wifi all over the resort except the rooms. You’ll have to come on the balcony to get connected.
Also, I have partied with a few guests on each of my 3 stays over the last year-&-half past 10 in the bar and resto area. As long as we were mindful of all the other guests the security and overall staff allow you to drink your own alcohol and stay as long as you want.
Everyone working at this resort is great. KD at the front desk was simply fantastic upon my arrival. As always I feel safe & at home at once with Richard, Lawrence & Ms Ritchie [security]. Richard & Biggs [grounds] although busy with their daily work always chat and make you smile like great friends. Nyron & Collin at the bar are constantly making sure you have everything and your glass is full. Robert & Wayne although in the kitchen, always come out & personalize your experience in the resto. The wait staff Shelly, Audette, Judith & Andre are simply amazing. They always smile and remember your favorites and add a sweet and friendly touch to breaky, lunch & dinner. And Jennifer makes sure your room is clean and cool when you get back in. She is simply amazing. Everyone at this resort makes an honest attempt to get to know you in order to make a lasting impression on you.
On this trip, I also did an excursion to YS Falls & the Pelican bar using Mr. Fix-it’s tour service which included George as our driver. They are registered at the resort and take care of you like family. If you think the sunset at Rick’s is something, try going to The Pelican Bar and experiencing the sunset there. It’s awesome.
Sorry for this belated review. Every single one of my stays deserved a review of this kind.
I will always go back to this resort for the value & the great experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This resort/hotel is small compared to some others I've stayed and I believe total number of rooms are under 50. and I actually booked it due to some of the great reviews I saw here on Trip Advisor.
However, I have to say this resort has lots of potential though small. Needs a good landscaper to come in and boost the property. Rooms are great size but could use some updating such as additional furniture and wall paintings. BEDS ARE THUMBS UP AMAZING. Staff is great. Food was good....However, kitchen staff should work on getting foods out early. But still I would have to give this property 2 stars.
My family and I stayed here ONLY one night (Dec 18-19, 2012) and we were ready to leave. The grounds were just filled with trash and not well kept, and the security and other male workers on the property lacks the professional look.
This thing about not having water for 2-3 hours is just insane.NO ONE should have to deal with that when staying at a resort. I remember my mom calling me from her room saying she has no water! Being shocked by that I decided to check for myself. Then immediately i made my way to the front desk rep Latoya...who then explained it to me what's going on but by then my family was fuming as well as many other hotel guests. Another issue i had was the ganja! I've never stayed at a resort/hotel where it seems like I was in the midst of a ganga(marijuana) field. When i sit on the upstairs balcony of my room I'm inhaling marijuana...when I walk out my room its the same thing.
It was such a turn off at check-in. There was 2 gentleman in the office who never at one point made eye contact but instead kept their focus on a computer screen and their blackberry. If Latoya stepped away you have to wait till she gets back as they act like NO ONE ELSE exist.
I paid for my family to eat from the buffet and only to find out that it doesn't allow for not even 1 drink! ONLY Water.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

One night in this hotel (it was part of our tour round Jamaica). Good food, friendly staff but a little slow service. Amazing beach and music and dance and games in the evening. All the guests were nice. Some local wanted to sell ganja, but when you say no, they understand. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We met fantastic people during our stay. The weather was simply amazing as always in Negril. Hello to our new friends from French River!! Hope to see you again one day.
Richard, you are a fantastic person; thank you for everything! Thank you to Colin, Andre and Naron and to the ladies who work at the bar and the restaurant. Thank you to the fantastic cooks in the kitchen. Thank you to the nice lady with the short hair at the front desk and the gentleman that cleans/fixes around the place and the nicest cleaning lady you could ever meet! She does an amazing job of cleaning your room. We are very grateful for all of your hard work.
Sadly, we won't be returning to this resort unless we get an EXTREMELY good deal and don't select all-inclusive. When it comes to the drinks and alcohol, this part is a real sad joke. They ran out of orange juice the very first day and never replaced it. They ran out of beer three or four times in one week and they make no attempts whatsoever to replace it when they can simply go across the street to buy some! However, if you raise your concern, suddenly some beer just might appear. Their all-in is only from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and still they run out. Pool was closed all week. This trip was quite expensive considering we had to go out and buy our own alcohol on several occasions. False advertising!!! It's a shame because if they didn't run out of beer and other drinks, and the pool was opened, we would have given this place a better rating and would have undoubtedly gone back. :(

Room Tip: Corner rooms don't have neighbours on one side therefore they are obviously quieter than others...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oromocto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I decided to write a review about my experience in April 2012 because as I was looking at the new reviews for this resort; I saw a travel agent who reviewed said that there were no thiefs at this resort...um, wrong. (I find it irresponsible that anyone, let alone a travel agent, would make this assumption.)

My husband and I arrived at Fun Holiday late Saturday evening (10pm). They had laid out some left over desserts and tap water for us, charming! There were no alcoholic drinks to be had at the bar. The room was very, very basic. (I think my pillow was just old shredded news print they stuffed in a sack). The door lock was pretty shoddy, and the safe was a metal box on the floor by the door, and not bolted down or anything. We were worried about the week to come.

The next day, we decided that we would try to make the best of it. We had a nice day at the beach, the bar was fully stocked, the food mediocre, but you can't have it all right. Here's where the real fun starts; sometime between our 1st and 2nd day there, our laptop, camera, money, backpack, and other randoms were stolen from our room. When we went to the office, the attended asked me why I had not used the safe. I was like is she kidding? How would that stuff fit in that safe? Anyhow, once the guy who manages the place found out about our situation, they tried to be helpful. We were changed rooms, taken to the police station to give statements (and the manager gave us a little tour of Negril at the same time, which we appreciated).

The good:
-Most of the staff are pretty friendly and accommodating
-The beach/water is one of the nicest I have ever seen (oh yeah, I used to be a travel agent too so I have seen my share)
-The drinks at the bar were good
-The jerk chicken was delicious
-The location, close to everything
-They try to make it a good experience
-The rates are pretty good
-There is a awesome little bar called Chances down the beach that sells amazing pizza, it's close to Margaritaville.

The bad:
-There are a lot of pushy locals on the beach stretch
-The lounge chairs are so uncomfortable
-The bar often ran out of alcohol
-They only served jerk chicken 1 time in the whole week
-The buffet was pretty horrible (the pizza was a crust with tomato sauce, and a can of peas, carrots and green beans, not sure if I will ever recover from this!!)
-The dancehall accross the street is pretty hopping on Thursday night, and you can hear the music and hollerin' from your room so don't count on too much sleep.
-The pool was closed for 4 days because of E coli.
-It's a pretty run down "resort"
-The entertainment was lacking
-The Sunwing rep never showed up at the resort, but we saw 3 of them at a fancier resort when we were on the airport transfer

I feel bad for the people working at this place, because you can see that they are trying to make it work, but they really to look at spending some cash on making some very basic, necessary upgrades.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I'm going to list the negatives and give due where it is deserved... my stay was second week of December 2012..... ** when we booked, were toild that they did not accept American Express... then when we were going to go elsewhere, they changed tune and suddenly would accept it but wanted cash for 1/2 of hotel cost... 1st warning of things to come **
First off, driver of resort, Donnie picked us up at airport.. no problem
Got there... immediately noticed the hotel was more than a little rundown... when shown the room... clean enough, hard mattresses... but nothing we couldn't roll with....
Got unpacked and headed down where dinner party/entertainment was planned....
Colin in the cash bar was always good to us...
Ordered Lobster Special 2 for 1... normally served in shell... chopped up stew style instead... not real good... entertainment was fun..... when got bill, noticed that we were charged higher price than on sign in front.....which happened over and over again we noticed.. also very difficult to get change from anyone....

*** Robert made the best jerk chicken I had in Negril... delicious... but caught an attitude that I would not buy a bottle of his sauce when I ran into him later in week after moved hotels.... totally unnecessary... even tipped him for his jerk when purchased

On the way to dinner.... noticed that the pool w/swim up pool bar... closed..nasty and smelly... also, the beach area and food serving area smelled like sewage the entire time.....

next day.... breakfast... not on all inclusive plan... tried the breakfast buffet... charged $30 US for two people.... eggs were yellow/green, most trays were 10-30% full, some not at all,.... food only tolerable.... but for $15 a person... ridiculous.. you can get great food at reasonable prices all up and down the beach...

Went to shower..... no hot water.... ran it for 30 minutes... no hot water....

Went to ask about this... was told that "it's working for everyone else"... no concern shown at all
At this point we went to the office and expressed our concern... and conveyed our disappointment ... C card paid for 3 nights so we were stuck as reception claimed they could not reverse charges for some reason (but had no problem running the card on arrival... ironic) so we stuck it out for 3 nights but went on the 3rd day and paid cash for our new hotel for the last 4 nights...... and on our final night the a/c froze up and flooded the floor during night... had to change rooms for the final night....

Our lovely housekeeper was always friendly and cleaned our room with care..... mopped up the a/c mess and showed genuine concern

Wi-Fi was very weak unless you were by food/bar area

Very boring.... other hotels/bars/beaches had more people, more lively and it was obvious that no one would visit unless staying there

Because we had pre-arranged and pre paid our airport transfer with Fun Holiday, we had a solid agreement with Donnie to come pick us up and take us to airport when we left.... we even called Donnie and Fun Holiday the day before to confirm and remind them......

But at our agreed time.... no Donnie... 20 minutes late, had to get other taxi .. but first went to Fun Holiday's reception to get the $70 back for failed airport transfer.... to pay our new taxi.... at office, told them situation... and informed this woman than I was already late because of their driver.... she told me to hold on and disappeared.... minutes went by.. then she shows up and tells me if I have card she can reverse charges... I reply "Why didn't you just tell me that in the first place"... I go and retrieve the C Card, and she takes her sweet time... fumbling with machine... over and over again... while I get stressed, and my taxi waits... then our driver Donnie, shows up, and says to me.. "oh are you ready to go now?"....

My look at him was all it took.... crappy attitude.... left us high and dry and we get that crap... and on the drive on arrival he was great.... very sad and unnecessary.......

So after they fumbled around and wasted more of my time... I had to give up... and told them I was going to get my money back one way or another and had to depart 40 minutes late to airport..... on arrival to airport, our new driver somehow got a call from Fun Holiday to replacement taxi driver(how? no idea) to let me know that the $70 credit went thru.... we'll check the statement and see

Look... if you want to spend your time in a place that is bare bones and is set up as a rough spring break type hotel.... fine... maybe this is your place.....

But there are plenty of properties for the same price or lower where you get what you pay for...... but you don't always have to deal with attitude problems... or complete lack of concern for your stay, or any level of quality... again..... Colin was the bomb, security was great, housekeeper was great..met some great people of the few staying there.... but I would never stay here again... I would rather stay somewhere with less as long as I don't have to deal with attitude problems, substandard and unavailable amenities . most places are not like this at all... look around and use sites like Negril.com's forum to get tips and info to make an informed choice so you fully enjoy your vacation...

I LOVE Jamaica... but there are much better options

Room Tip: If you're not happy with hotel you're at... SWITCH!! There are more than enough choices for...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

my list of the bad first ,,,the pool was not working,4 feet deep and you could not see the bottom ,green slime starting to form on the sides ,,,but no sign saying anything ,and nobody doing anything about it ,the place is over run by cats! ,you can here them all nite, the pool bar / beach bar...is a cash bar only, even if you are allinclusive, the other bar .always running out of something, mix ,beer ,rum .vodka..You could get coffee sometimes when someone finally got up to make it, by the way bring your own cup,some days there was coffee but no cups or sugar. It almost seemed like a chore for the bartender to get you a drink,,,if he had what you wanted,,i asked for the special drink of the day and could not get it,and never did get it,what a joke! the bartender was late one day so the bar never opened till he got there? So im assumeing if the cook did not show up we would not eat? The food was ok ,but by the time it was put out everyone was running up like they were starving,just like a pack of hungry wolves,the salt and pepper shakers were full of rice only ,,,when you asked for more insted of refilling they would just take one from the next table ,even if someone was sitting there,Anyone that has a good review of this resort is crazy!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel
Travellers Beach Resort
Travellers Beach Resort
#26 of 90 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 686 reviews

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!