“Take it from a Jamaican” 4 of 5 stars

Hidden Paradise Resort Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #62 of 89 Hotels in Negril
Connecticut
“Take it from a Jamaican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

I went home for a visit and since my family house is very small,my husband ,myself and my son stayed at Hidden Paradise.
We appreciate that we get breakfast with our stay and it was a fully cooked breakfast . The room was clean ,the bathroom was clean and the pool was great. My husband enjoyed the grounds as he got to see unique things such as crabs in their habitat, beautiful birds and plants.
It is close to most hot spots like the Times Square shopping center, Jungle night club and Alfred's. HP is within walking distance to downtown which is a great way to sneak in your exercise routine.
Mama Flo's restaurant was pretty bland for a Jamaican and so I did not enjoy the meal I had there so I never went back.
You get what you paid for ,it is an affordable economical resort .
My only advise is to not leave anything on your balcony or steps as my son flip flops were stolen one night after leaving them outside.
It was a great stay and Mr. McDonald took care of us. He is the owner .

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Varies
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

The Hidden Paradise staff helped us get a taxi from Montego Bay Airport to the hotel, so we arrived easily. The room was OK at the outset, and we thought the musty smell would go once the windows had been opened... but it didn't, the smell seemed to get worse and worse. We went for a quick bite at Mama Flo's, which is a cute place- but their dishes were pretty bland compared to most other spots we tried.

Pros:
Good location and layout
Very nice staff, Breakfast was relaxed- simple and well made.

Cons:
Tiny sliver of "beach property" and the beach chairs were crawling with cockroaches (I'm not ready to relive this experience quite yet)
Awful smell throughout the room and very dim lighting

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
STARRCUPP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I am very much a five star person when traveling. My first time in Negril I paid a arm and a leg to stay at a five star resort... I stayed here with friends for a Birthday Party in Jamaica. When I first arrive I looked and said the grounds are beautiful (4 stars). I love the set up of the rooms the porch is the BEST. (5 stars).The property is not big which is great when your walking around to other friends rooms.(5 stars) Once I got in the room I said, what have I gotten myself into (1 star)? It is a total shock. Let me say this the room was very clean (5 stars). But it really needs to be updated. The linen was the WORST (1/2 star). The bathroom was clean and the water was hot(5 stars).. The Staff was the best (5 stars). The pool was clean (3 stars). Food and drinks were great (5 stars)...All I can say for this 5 star vacation girl, I am going back and I have already booked my room at Hidden Paradise. I just know to bring my own washclothes and towels. I would never stay at a 5 Star hotel in Negril again. Hdden Paradise is the only way to go...

• Stayed March 2009
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

Hidden paradise was a great experience. We stayed for one week and had a wonderful time. The staff is very nice and friendly. There are coconut and mango trees on the grounds that you can pick and eat. The gardener Brian will cut you open a coconut. Overall, you get what you pay for. It was nice having breakfast included(very nice relaxing breakfast area). In the rooms, the beds, sheets, pillow cases, and towels are all outdated but it had no effect on my enjoyment. Just don't expect five star amenities. It was especially nice for us because the slow season is just starting and the hotel was quite slow, so it was always quiet and relaxing.
We highly recommend Mama Flo's restaurant also. She is very nice and the food was great. Good portions and great prices. I've been to Jamaica several times and I notice some places I had been to in previous years were now charging 10% service charge and 8.25% tax. I don't ever remember paying this before, but some places like Mama Flo's don't charge for these things. But, the workers don't really make much so they always happy when we left a couple dollars tip. They will remember you when you come back, and we ended up going to Mama Flo's every night but one, and after that other meal, we wish we had gone to Mama Flo's.
If you want a nice place with nice people, and a great value, Hidden Paradise should be your stop in Negril.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

We stayed at Hidden Paradise from Mar. 2 to 8, 2009. Overall we enjoyed our stay. The staff are super friendly. Brian, Janet, Petrene, Sonia and Clive are great people. Hidden Paradise is located on the garden side of Norman Manley Boulevard.
Access to the beach is through Mamma Flo’s restaurant. You can use the beach chairs at Mamma Flo’s. Joy runs Mamma Flo’s and is Henrick’s mother. Henrick is the owner of Hidden Paradise. It is all family owned property.

We took two HD video cameras with us to Negril. On the first evening our charger blew a circuit and my husband thought we were doomed to charge our batteries. Henrick called his TV repairman and within twenty four hours the charger was fixed and charging again. We were only charged $10 U.S. ($800 JA). Henrick’s help was superb!

During our first morning at breakfast my husband asked Janet where she lived? She replied “in Orange Hill”. My husband asked her if she knew his best friend Hilroy. Turns out Janet is Hilroy’s cousin and within two minutes she had Hilroy on the phone for my husband. It was wonderful.
We always ask a Jamaican where they live. Chances are we know someone in that town, but more so its a great way to learn more about that person.

Pros and Cons:

Pros:
It is a very quiet property and you can watch the sun rise over the mountains sitting in the open style restaurant.
They have a pool and beautiful grounds.
The rooms have safes and they only require a $50 USD refundable deposit to use them. There is no daily charge to use the safe.
All rooms have ceiling fans, air conditioners, telephones with radio’s in them.
The property is quite secure and at night Clive sits out front with a closed gate and only allows people that are staying at the hotel as well as their guests in. The property is completely fenced in which aids in making it more secure.
There is private parking for cars or scooters just inside the gate.
Breakfast - Janet makes the only coffee we have ever been able to drink at any resort in Jamaica. It is as good as Tim Horton’s. The all inclusive breakfast which cost $10/day USD for 2 people consists of fruit and an a la carte menu. Don’t order anything with meat because they use hot dogs (thats all they have). Janet makes the best dumplings we’ve ever had. If you brought her something (kitchen utensils etc.) and say please she just might make them for you.
The rooms are a good size, but basic. They have refrigerators and great cable tv. The beds are made of thick foam and are a joy to sleep on.
They do have running hot water, but you have to let it run for awhile to get it hot. The water pressure is terrible, but usable.
They have a daily maid service. Patrene and Sonia are very pleasant women.
Beach towels are available at the front desk for no charge.
The rooms have very nice porches. We enjoyed sitting and relaxing on the porch to watch the birds that come and go from the Morass (parrots, woodpeckers, etc.).
Its really the staff that make Hidden Paradise a treaure. If it were located on the beach side we would never stay anywhere else.
We were there when Nikki from Philadelphia was celebrating her 35th B-day with thirty of her girlfriends. It made for great fun and entertainment.

Cons:
No screens on the windows. Henrick had to take the window screens off because guests were running the A/C 24/7 with the windows open. Electricity is very expensive in Jamaica.
I am very susceptible to bug bites and pretty much became a walking buffet as soon as I entered Hidden Paradise. It’s because the hotel is among the morass (i.e. swamp). I use Off, herbal flea spray and mosquito coils, but I still got bit a lot. We brought mosquito netting to cover the windows and door to help even the odds, lol. Take clothes pins and push pins to help keep the netting up. It does a fantastic job in keeping the bugs out of your room.
The neighbors have dogs that sometimes bark throughout the night and in the early morning. When one starts to bark they all do. The dogs generally stop barking around 10 PM. On the first day it was bothersome, but then you didn’t notice it as much. Bring dog treats. It helps with the barking. We also feed the stray dogs on the beach Milk bone dog biscuits.

We met a little girl who lives next door to Hidden Paradise. Here name is Jessica and she is 7 yrs old. She sang us Hanna Montana songs through a hole in the fence. We had some coloring books, crayons and treats that we gave her. She is a very sweet child. Jessica lives where the dogs are next door. If you go please say Hi to Jessica from Brian and Sandra.

We had done some research as to where 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was filmed in Negril. We took some stills from the movie with us to Jamaica. Joy who runs Mamma Flo’s is Flo’s daughter. She remembers her Mom doing the laundry for Kirk Douglas and the crew. Four of her Uncle’s played cannibals in the movie. Joy really enjoyed the pictures and told us that the beach scenes were filmed in front of Sandy park. Later on our vacation Fay at Ansell’s Thatch Walk Cottages told us that Kirk and Peter use to drink rum with Ansell’s dad Lazarus behind the house that they live in. We left the picture of Kirk with Fay.

We had also taken some old pictures from the 70’s of the Negril river and beach. Everyone we showed them to thought they were the neatest thing.

If I wasn’t a walking buffet (they have no interest in my husband at all) for the bitting insects, Hidden Paradise would be my hotel of choice in Negril for those not looking for a 5 star resort. Thanks again Henrick for your help!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

After staying at Point Village Resort (All Inclusive) three times, I decided to stay somewhere closer to the hot spots - Alfred's, Jungle, Margaritaville - to avoid having to take a taxi everywhere.

Since staying at Hidden Paradise, I've stayed at Fun Holiday. On future visits, I'd choose Fun Holiday over Hidden Paradise.

Here are the pros & cons of Hidden Paradise.

Pros:
Breakfast included
Friendly hotel and restaurant staff
Very Affordable
Proximity to local hot spots and eateries
Large bathroom
Refrigerator in room at no additional cost

Cons (compared to Fun Holiday):
Shower water not as hot or as strong
Open shutter-style windows let in mosquitoes (and are energy inefficient)
No wireless internet

• Liked — cost, location, friendly staff, breakfast
  • Disliked — mosquitoes, no internet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

well i have just returned from a week of complete r&r
h/p is a lovely little hotel rooms are cleaned daily and although basic it has everything you need bed tv towelsand hot shower
the breakfast spot is lovely next to the pool raised up about 9ft with a veiw over bush lands had some great food cooked by janet
and the grounds are beutifuly kept by brian
get youre beach towel at receiption with no charge
$50us deposit for safe key refunded when returned

went a/i here as the price was good and although i had intended to eat a few meals elseware the food was to good
you choose lunch and dinner from menu and local drinks 10 till 10 o/c bottled red stripe lovely and the home cooked fresh food was to die for
well i was made so welcome by joy (moma flo) and everyone else that i felt like part of the family and although i never want to leave jamaica this time was even harder to leave new freinds

although the hotel is over the main road i had no trouble crossing the trafic will even stop to let you over

yes i will be returning to h/p again a.s.a.p

• Liked — freindly
  • Disliked — cant think of anything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo