“Decent on a budget, missed being beachside” 3 of 5 stars

Hidden Paradise Resort Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #59 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Saskatoon, Canada
“Decent on a budget, missed being beachside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I unexpectedly travelled solo when my friend cancelled a couple of months before departure. Felt I needed to go as budget concious as possible and chose HP because although not beachside, they have a designated beach area across the road where you can bring your own drinks/food. Got a great price for 7 nights.

Pros:
-Grounds are very nice, mango trees, flowers, palms, etc.
-Pool was nice and clean
-deluxe room was large and reasonably clean (some dust bunnies under the bed)
room had two beds, one of which had a new memory foam mattress that was comfortable
-large size bar fridge (inner freezer door was missing which froze other items in the fridge and caused huge ice buildup to the point of having to break some off so the door would close)
-wifi signal comes from the office, my room was in the closest 2 level building and I received a good signal on my balcony and most of the time right in my room.

Cons:

-AC filter was filthy - I got very sick with cold/flu a day or two after arriving which may have been from bacteria/spores in the AC filter. I wish I would have checked the filter 1st thing upon arrival and asked that it be changed or cleaned. Unfortunately, I was sick for the duration of my holiday and still not well 2 weeks later. Did get antibiotic when I returned home as I had an eye infection as well and was afraid it would turn into bronchitis or pnemonia. Of course, it may not have been from the AC, but regardless, the filter was bad and management does need to maintain them.
-There is no cart for luggage on check in or out. Thankfully, when I was dismayed to hear this, some staff that were in the office (women) helped me lug my luggage to my upper room. There did not appear to be staff designated to do this automatically.
-lock on room door is pushing button in on door handle only. Would have liked to see a deadbolt as security appeared to be minimal (people I'd met on the beach, albeit maybe known by hotel staff came wandering in on the property looking for me). Was not the best security I've experienced in Negril.
-office staff were minimal friendly, did not feel fully welcomed or that my business was appreciated. They did respond appropriately when I directly requested something. My housekeeper, Bella was good and seemed to wear many hats.
-beach area - the guys hanging on the beach area were friendly but almost too intrusive to the point where I sought out other places to enjoy the beach. Beach chairs are old and wooden and you had to ask to get a pad to put on it. No beach or pool towels provided.
-fridge was in the large closet area. A little thought put into better configuration would make it handier. Liked the shelves in the closet area which I used for "kitchen" items, but I had to work around my clothes hanging in the closet.

To summarize: if you are on a budget and don't mind staying across the road, I would recommend HP, just be prepared and check your AC filter upon arrival. Especially if you are out and about everyday. As I got ill, I was not up for going out and about as much as I would have liked. I doubt that I would return as I much prefer staying right on the beach, which I could have done for $20 more/night and for me, in hindsight, would have been worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the office get good wifi signal
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

It was my 10th time in Jamaica and my 3rd time in Hidden Paradise.... this should already show you that I really like the place. The hotel is located very central (to the beach, clubs and also the gym :) )..... my and every other room was cleaned every single day.
In case one of the guests has problems (of any kind), there is always somebody to talk to and to help....
In my opinion, the best thing about the hotel is that it is not like one of the all- inclusive resorts which are shielded from the rest of the world..... even Jamaicans themselves are guests of the hotel ( in case they spend their holidays in Negril).... I think this is great because you can get in contact with local people, too......
To sum up, I love HIDDEN PARADISE and I can just recommend it!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
St Louis, MO.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I returned with group of girls to stay 10-days at Hidden Paradise resort Jan 27-Feb 6, 2013 & it was better than before. Everything went smoothly from check-in till we departed & we all loved our time at H.P. As requested they had rooms 108 & 107 near the back reserved for us & with new memory foam mattresses added I have no complaint in bed comfort this trip. Check-in was quick with rooms ready for us & after A/C & frig were turned on, the room was great. Sometimes we would turn off the A/C & enjoy the breeze between the bathroom window & front window shutters open. Really freshens the room & feels nice to have warm breeze blow thru your room but no screens meant we had to swat mosquitoes each night before we went to bed. I came with fly swatters as always so no problem & fun challenge to kill those suckers before they suck my blood. Outside using a "Destroyer coil" at night kept the bugs at bay & thanks to Shamrock store close by we always had those available. Shamrock was convenient for snacks & cold drinks plus not bad pricing. Also outside of H.P. is Biggs Jerk Chicken; was cooking on his barrel bbq pit every night & delicious grilled chicken...moist & flavorful & right outside our gate. Biggs will have the guard call your room when the food is ready, so convenient & yummy! Breakfast at the H.P. pool area was a slow relaxing meal overlooking palm preserve. Miss Sonia is a good cook & variety depends on what is available some days. Girls wanted hash browns so they mention it & they came up with potatoes the next day. Our vegetarian loved her callaloo & egg omelet with veggies. The point is they go out of their way to make sure their guests have a hearty breakfast to start the day & was well worth the cost added to our room pkg & served 8am - 11am.

Beach access is right across the street by walking thru Mama Flo's property on a road & you have 7-mile beach access just short walk from H.P. Mama Flo's restaurant grilled fish & lobster daily plus cold drinks were available. Was nice to have bar right there & beach guys will setup a chair with pad for you sitting in shade or sun, your choice. The guys were always entertaining to talk with or watch them jet across the ocean on their jet ski. Everyone in the area was very nice & not pushy about selling you stuff. I planned to get a massage from Carol Ann but got injured at Caves so will look forward to getting that next trip. There definitely were less vendors walking on the beach bugging you while you laid out & police were visibly present more. While I never feel uncomfortable in Negril, was good for tourists peace of mind to have them walking the beach.

We had lots of good meals; Biggs Jerk Chicken, Chicken Lavish, Kuyaba, Norma's, Alfred's & new place Swordfish. Swordfish is on West End Road right across street from Chicken Lavish & the view of 7-mile beach at night was awesome. Great place to watch sunset upstairs & the food was great. The Lobster Macaroni & Cheese was to die for according to everyone who ate it. We sent lots of guests up there after we bragged about our meal there. In fact we ate there twice & that says a lot for restaurant & staff with all the good choices there are in Negril. That's one of the awesome things in Negril, there are lots of good restaurants in all price ranges.

Most of our time was spent on the beach or in the ocean, weather was good even the few afternoon rain showers were okay. Cooled things off & the sun came peaking out of clouds & made for some beautiful sunsets. Shopping was another past time we enjoyed, bartering & exploring all the different artists/vendors was a blast for our newbie & myself as well. Mandy went a little crazy buying painting, carvings, hemp rosaries, jewelry etc. We did take cab ride to Roaring River & explored the natural spring & caves with mineral water pools & flowing water thru it. I love Rasta Alvin's mineral mud scrub & then I got under the water & rinsed off, my skin felt so good after this pool stop. Rasta Alvin our tour guide taught us about plants growing outside & inside the caves, fruit bats inside, other uses for caves (shelter in bad weather for locals or spiritual meditation place) & lots of other things on our tour. At the 3rd pool the water was deep so we could dive or jump in & swim around, we hung on stalagtites while in pool which enticed other tourists to join us in pool. We all had fun swimming deep in cave to where only candle light lit area but you could still see bottom as the water was clear & clean. When I was climbing out of pool, got out climbed on rock & then up concrete steps while holding onto the railing. What I failed to see or remember was a section of the railing was missing so when I moved up step & reached for rail, fell backwards on step & slid down steps & rock so I got pretty bruised, scraped skin, bled all over & twisted my ankle. Alvin cleaned my wounds up with the mineral water & I hobbled outside to see how bad I hurt myself. At least I got injured near end of trip & only had 1 1/2 days left to hobble on sprained ankle. Now the really amazing thing is I have bruises/cuts that have healed up in 2 wks. I think the mineral water truly has restorative powers & am grateful to have no infection or complication from many cuts & heal so fast, I usually takes 4 wks for bruises to go away. Other guests at H.P. were wonderful & helped keep me in ice, ibuprofen etc...anything I needed to feel better!

Hidden Paradise was a great place to have a nice retreat from craziness & enjoy the gardens with hummingbirds flitting around flowers, pretty colorful birds eating mango blooms, butterflies & groups of green parrots were always flying by. No rooster or chickens next door so only heard few dogs barking while sitting outside on our patio. The big patio with table & chairs was my favorite place to sit & chill, listen to music or natural sounds, watch nature & clear the mind. No complaints about H.P. but due to low water levels in Negril, sometimes the water pressure was low so you would have to call the front desk & ask them to put pump on. That took care of problem & happy to say we never ran out of hot water with 5 girls taking showers around same time & upstairs guests too. I also have to admit I slept the best I have ever slept on the new memory foam mattresses. Thanks Enrick for listening to me & resolving that issue. That's the nice thing about small resorts, they so their best to accommodate their guests requests & make their stay so special we return again & again...

Room Tip: I always ask for a room near the back as I don't want to hear road noise plus walking down garde...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Berkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Hidden Paradise resort in January 2013 for 2 weeks, room 105. The room was clean and comfortable, basic but with a faded charm which we loved. Lovely spacious colonial style terrace bordered by flowering shrubs which were visited by humming birds. There is a fridge provided and a safe for which there is only a charge if you lose the key....50 dollars.
The pool is small but clean, it is elevated with lovely views, could do with a few more sunbeds though!
Breakfast is okay but the service is rather slow. You get a small plate of fruit followed by a choice of omelette, pancakes or saltfish dishes, which are delicious. This is followed by toast and jam, with fruit juice. There is tea and coffee provided but the milk is powdered, if you like tea, buy some milk at the small supermarket just beyond the gate and keep it in your fridge to take with you to breakfast.
If you want to explore and don't want to go with a tour company Christopher will take you where ever you want to go. We went with him on several excursions and haggled a good price. He is an excellent driver and will look after you well, you also get to see more of the real Jamaica with him than with an organised tour and you can tailor it to see what you want rather than what a group of people want. Just ask for him at the reception.
I would recommend this hotel as long a you have realistic expectations. It is basic but clean and comfortable, with very friendly and helpful staff. It maybe a little dated and tired, but it has real charm and for the price paid we were very satisfied.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We booked our week at Hidden Paradise by walking in off the street. The price was right, the location was excellent. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly, beautiful garden setting. We didn't eat there so I can't review the food. Very nice pool area with beautiful elevated view. The beach and bar are across the boulevard--very nice and quiet, could use a few more beach chairs but we were well taken care of. We will definitely be returning to Hidden Paradise!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
St Louis, MO.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at Hidden Paradise January 2012 & enjoyed my 5-day stay there. Room 108 is on lower level way in back & nice & quiet room like I requested. Check-in okay, they couldn't find my reservation but I had my email printout & Tosh checked me in...no problem. The room was old but clean, two queen beds, small TV, good bathroom, in-room safe, plenty of room but the mattress was uncomfortable & needs to be replaced. I found my maid Beulah & requested extra towels & ashtray and she quickly returned with items. She was always smiling & did a fine job of cleaning the room & porch. H.P. staff in general was always pleasant & friendly.
Shamrock mini-mart is short walk down road & has everything you could want, cold drinks, munchies "Yummy Coconut Bread", little bit of whatever you needed & fair exchange price. This was often visited & found Indian man who worked there very nice & helpful.
Alfred's Ocean Palace is also close by, a short stumble back across the street to Hidden Paradise. Biggs is usually cooking his Jerk Chicken in Barrel Grill by H.P. & I enjoyed his food several nights before & after going to Alfred's. You can even order & go to your room, the guard will call your room when food is ready. Very convenient & delicious juicy smoky flavored jerk chicken, makes my mouth water thinking about eating it. At H.P. if you are too lazy to go to Alfred's, I sat on my patio & listened to Yellow Man sing one night, not blasting loud like at Alfred's but still enjoyed the music & vibe...plus convenience of sitting alone on my patio.
This was my 2nd time staying across the street from the beach & while I missed waking up looking out on ocean & hearing the waves, the sounds from Great Morass & neighbors can be very fun too. Morning sitting outside you hear the rustle of palms, tree frogs chirping, & girls laughing & telling stories of all the men that hit on them at The Jungle last night. The barking dogs or crowing roosters were not always appreciated but this area has locals living next door & is part of the charm. I stayed here alone & felt very safe at all times with guards at front gate who was attentive (not asleep). At night I would sit out on my patio & chat with other guests as they passed by, everyone who was there was very friendly. H.P. served breakfast up on pool deck in back of property in Great Morass which has great breeze & cool view too. The pool was clean but rarely used due to cooler temps this week. H.P. has easy access to beach by walking across the street & walking thru road at Mama Flo's restaurant/bar to 7-Mile beach. They had chairs we could use so just bring your towel & you're set.
Also close by is One Mile area with several local grills with delicious cheap food, ate lunch here most days. One day taxi in for breakfast at Canoe, the fresh fruits, French Toast & pressed coffee was awesome & looking out at ocean is always nice. Then we walked around town & shopped a bit before taxi back to H.P. Enjoyed the beach till the afternoon clouds came in & then we sat outside on patio at my table while the rain came down, smelled so fresh after the rain ended. Sun came out just before sunset & luckily timed my trip across street to beach perfectly and saw a colorful sunset. Overall I would say I enjoyed my stay due to staff, gardens, charming older hotel which isn't fancy but has good location with Great Morass in backyard with pool, safe quiet rooms, nice sized patio or balcony with table & chairs for features I like in a property.

Room Tip: Rooms in back avoid any road noise & are quieter & closer to pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed at Hidden Paradise for one week in Feb 2011. I stayed in one of the cabins which is located near the entrance of the the hotel instead of an actual hotel room....loved it. The cabins are like a duplex and you can hear your neighbour so bring ear plugs just in case. This hotel is in a garden setting.

When I first arrived I had some trouble getting the air conditioning to work however the friendly staff assisted and it was good to go. The room was cleaned every day and was totally spotless. The bathroom was good except for the water pressure in the shower was low however this was not a big deal for me. There was a safe, TV, clock radio, ceiling fan, and wooden shutters on the windows to let the night breeze in. I stocked the bar fridge as there is a little food store, beer/water/snacks/fruit etc, about 3 doors down from the hotel.

There were two double beds, one was very hard and the other was very firm. At night there is a jerk chicken BBQ right outside the hotel entrance which goes late into the night. Also, there was a patio set for two on the patio right outside my cabin door. My breakfast was included in the price and was served in the open air restaurant on the second storey of the hotel and right off the pool area. I enjoyed the view (trees, plants, and flowers) from the restaurant while I ate my breakfast. There is free wifi near the pool area too.

At night, there is a security guard who opens and closes the gate for those coming back late. The beach access is across the street from the hotel. At first, I thought this might be a nuisance to pack a beach bag around but it wasn't at all. You cross the street (traffick is on the left hand side so be very careful crossing Canadians!) and go down a short lane which then opens up to a restaurant (Mama Flow) and a beach area.

The restaurant has lounge chairs that you can set up on the beach... more than likely they will offer to help you set it up. Locals on the beach will approach you and ask if you want to buy stuff from their shop or whatever they have for sale....if you are not interested be POLITE and say no thank you.... they value and are big on respect....also you don't want to offend anyone off in Jamaica.

I would stay here again and would recommend it to my friends/family.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hidden Paradise Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!