“Relaxation perfection” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nirvana on the Beach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Nirvana on the Beach
Save Saved
You added Nirvana on the Beach to your Saves list
Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #6 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Freehold, New Jersey
“Relaxation perfection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been to many Caribbean islands and many, many tropical resorts, but this was my first experience at a location like Nirvana on the Beach. What struck me first was the simplicity of the property. There is no pool. No tennis courts. No meeting rooms, food service, bars. What there is an abundance of is an extremely attentive staff. From the moment we stepped out of the van from the airport, we were greeted by staffers that wanted to know our names and wanted to do anything in their power to provide a wonderful experience.

The rooms were large, very clean and comfortable. Having a small kitchen allowed us to bring food in and prepare our own breakfast and lunch, as well as keep beverages well stocked and cold. Ample electrical outlets let us charge our gadgets and wifi kept us connected to the outside world when we wanted.

The grounds themselves were immaculate. Beautiful, local flora and fauna grow throughout the resort. The beachfront is nearly perfect- white sand leading to crystal-blue water. The staff tends to the grounds daily, and their effort shows. The security personnel do a good job of keeping the passing vendors to a minimum, while remaining unimposing to the guests.

A professional masseuse is on site twice a week, and for a very reasonable rate you can get a massage on the beach.

There are several dining choices in walking distance from Nirvana, but truth be told- the best meal we had was at a jerk shack a short drive away in a taxi.

As a parent, I don't think I would recommend Nirvana for a family with small children. There is a tremendous limit to activities for the young ones. Nirvana is much more suited to adults that are seeking a total-relaxation experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Vacationing with small children is challenging. As a single parent it can feel impossible.
Not at Nirvana!!!
2 moms and 2 babies descended on this spectacular spot for a week of rest and relaxation and haven't been so happy since our kids were born!
Picture it... Waking in the morning in our cool (yes, with just a ceiling fan) room on the most comfortable bed imaginable. You have your own kitchen complete with all pots and pans, dishes, coffee maker, microwave etc. Open your door to greet butterflies and kittens (I'm not lying) Walk down with your baby to the ocean. Swings and toys and floaties galore. When it's Nap time it's Mom time. The babies slept so well in the cool comfortable rooms and moms grab a cocktail next door or a cold beer from the fridge. While you were out in the morning the lovely ladies cleaned our house and prepared the most delicious meals every day... Just ask. The cab driver helped us select the right array of groceries and the dishes they prepared were scrumptious. When you finish at the beach for the day you return to your clean house with dinner on the stove ready for you. Babies sleep like magic at night to the sound of tree frogs. Moms relax in the screened in porch area and enjoys the sounds and vibes of Jamaica.
During our stay I had a broken personal DVD player... They fixed it.
We wanted to go to dinner down the beach... They carried the high chair down and back for us.
My son had an ear infection.... Doctor showed up within an hour.
Perfection. And it's all because of the very hard work of so many of our new friends. I won't list names for fear I leave anyone out. Nirvana staff are all included - We thank you from the bottom of our hearts and we will be back!!!!
One love, Mama Breton & Mama Rene with babies Dziko (2 years old) & Brayden (1 year old)

Moose Jaw, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We enthusiastically say that Nirvana is the nicest place we have or will probably ever stay at. :-)
Not only was it the most beautiful place on the entire beach but the staff is absolutely amazing. Wonderful, kind people.

We immediately felt like part of the Nirvana family. Our home was kept spotlessly clean, as were the grounds. Every staff member greeted us by name and with a smile and genuine care.

Leon greeted us at the airport with a huge smile, immediately made us feel welcome in Jamaica and set the standard for the care we received throughout our stay.

Joan and Leonnie were happy and helpful. Otis was always smiling and very proud of the great job he did. Moses had an air of innocent happiness and never failed to stop by with a smile and a good morning.

Breezey is a wonderful driver, a wealth of information handed out in a friendly manner. He was not pushy at all but always seemed to be there when we needed him.

Errol showed his strength of character in the space he gave us, his unobtrusive smile and his gift for reading his guests and treating each of us in a manner that suited us. He made sure to stop by to wish us a good trip and said " I won't ask you how you are this morning" (as was his morning ritual) "because I know you're sad to leave". He was right.

Mr Jackson made sure we weren't in need of anything. Sandra was sure to stop by every day as well to ask if there was anything we needed.

An absolute standout is Shine. What a gift Nirvana has in having that wonderful man in their employ. He is diligent in his work, kind to the extreme, always aware of which guests were off the property and dedicated to keeping an eye out for them until they got back. Always smiling and welcoming. He instantly felt like an old friend and treated us like his personal charges and like family. We felt incredibly safe and secure with Shine on guard.

We really did feel like part of the family which is why I have repeated it so often.

We started talking about our return trip to Nirvana before we even left. :-)

Thank you so much for allowing us into your house and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the owners villa which has a deck that leads straight to the beach. It had more than en...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was our 7th trip to Negril, and after many all inclusive trips, we finally decided to try Nirvana. Wish we hadn't waited so long. This place is amazing!!! We stayed in the upper beachfront verandah. The room was great, the housekeeping staff is the best. They seem to figure out just the right time to sneak in and out leaving the room clean and tidy, without ever seeing them! Sandra was such a wonderful host always with a smile on her face. Otis was someone we really enjoyed too, a lot of people rake the beach, but you can tell everyday he takes pride in his job and was such a hard worker! Errol & Shine were 2 other favorites of ours. Nirvana wouldn't Nirvana without such a great staff. I have never felt so safe at any other hotel, never giving a second thought to leaving anything laying around in our room as I have at previous places. The beach is the best on the 7 mile and many times we were the only 2 people on our beach. Thanks to Lonnie & Stanley for making Nirvana the picture perfect place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have just returned from a trip to Nirvana. We booked based on the earlier trip advisor reviews which were great, however, we found the accomodation to be very basic, very noisy at night time, unclean and totally unsuitable for young children (when advertised as a quiet family resort). Our advice would be that the different "villas" (rooms with tiny kitchens) offer very different levels of comfort - we were clearly not lucky. What we thought was good value on booking ended up being expensive for the quality and standard of accommodation we received. On a positive (what saved the review from being "terrible") was the lovely beach and the staff. Would NOT return.

Englewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed a week at Nirvana in Negril with 3 girlfriends. At first we were wondering if a week would be too much, but when the week was over we didn't want to leave. One of the most relaxing vacations ever. The beach is beautiful and well maintained. Every morning the staff is out there raking it and removing any debris. It's a large beach area compared with the other resorts I had seen on my walks along the shore, and there are very few units within the resort, so it is never crowded. There are plenty of trees if you prefer to stay in the shade. The water is crystal clear and we spotted many beautiful eagle rays just standing in the water, you don't even need to snorkel! (Don't worry, they are not dangerous or aggressive). If you are looking for a beautiful beach, this is the place for you!

The staff is fantastic! They would come by the beach and greet us now and then to ask how are stay was. If you stop and pick up groceries on the way to the resort, they will cook one meal a day, but that only applies to some rooms- I think the cottages. You can buy conch right on the beach and they will whip up a wonderful conch stew for you! Our driver, Breezy, was wonderful and always available to take us where we needed to go, although most of the time we took public transportation (BTW, don't ever accept the first price the cab drivers give you).

The cabin we had was perfect for us. It had everything we needed. But this isn't a fancy upscale resort, so don't expect a fancy marble bathroom. But it is clean and comfortable. We had no air conditioning, but when we were there in March I didn't feel hot at all. The cool breezes from the ocean helped with that. There is no restaurant, but plenty along the beach and some great jerk chicken across the street (Best of the West! Don't miss it!). The only problem with the location is that there is a busy street behind it (but pretty much all of the resorts are off of this street) so the traffic noise can get pretty bad. We were in the unit closest to the street, so I think if you were close to the beach it wouldn't be an issue. You don't hear the traffic at all on the beach. In spite of that though, I slept like a baby.

Jet skiing is available right from the beach (which I wish it wasn't. I abhor jet skis- the noise, smell, etc, but every beach resort has them). My friends went paragliding one day-again right from the beach. Can't tell you much more about recreational activities as we were content to just sit on the beach with our books and rum and look at the water most of the time.

We did go to another bigger resort, the name of which escapes me now, to meet up with some relatives of one of my friends. We spent the day there, but spent most of it whining that we wanted to go back to Nirvana. We were so happy to be back "home".

I would recommend Nirvana for anyone looking for relaxation, a beautiful beach, and a homey environment at an affordable price. There were a few children there who seemed to be having a wonderful time playing in the sand and splashing about in the water. But if your kids require a lot of entertainment probably not the best place for them (in other words, electronic addicted teenage boys, like my own).

I highly recommend Nirvana. I wish I was there right now!

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the beach
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We are recently back from a tremendous stay at Nirvana.
I've been to fantastic places in the world before now, but never ever have I stayed in somewhere with such amazing staff who looked after myself and my family in such an outstanding way. Not once did we have to visit a reception desk or office to find someone - everyday, Sandra would come find us to say good morning and check things were good for us.
If you're looking for a relaxing break with young kids, I would highly recommend Nirvana. There's heaps of beach toys and swings on Nirvana's beach, their section of the water is shallow and has bouys around it and Errol who provides security made us all feel so safe. We even used a babysitter which we've never ever done on holiday.
You also get to meet great people who are staying there!
We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nirvana on the Beach? Share your experiences!