“Take me back to Nirvana!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nirvana on the Beach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Nirvana on the Beach
Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #7 of 91 hotels in Negril
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Take me back to Nirvana!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and our two children (ages 5 and 3), recently spent a week at Nirvana. It was the best vacation we have ever had! The staff at Nirvana are just wonderful, and we were truly sad to sad goodbye at the end of our week. Shine and Errol were so helpful and kind, and so sweet to the kids. Everyone in our house is still talking about them! Sandra was always checking in to make sure everything was okay, and was always a presence if anything was needed. The grounds/beach at Nirvana are kept up just beautifully, as the staff are working on them daily. We could not have asked for a more relaxing stay! Thanks so much to everyone at Nirvana...we are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

619 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Jacksonville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Recently my wife, some friends, and I stayed at NIRVANA. I will start by saying we will never stay anywhere else. The staff was amazing from the management to the grounds people to the security guards. Sandra and Jackson are the best. Erro, Shine, Kevin, Ramone were 4 of the security guards I met, sorry if I've left any of you out but these guys are what makes NIRVANA. I felt comfortable with my wife on the beach anytime of the day or night because these guys take care of business. I cannot stress how important the guards are to this property. I mean staying in a place with no windows and never once was I worried about anyone bothering us. The beach is amazing and they take great PRIDE in the property every morning they combed the beach, cleaned the leaves, etc. It was unbelievable the small things they did to make the place nice. The cleaning ladies were great as well. If you are planning on going to Negril and you do not know where you are staying you have to throw Nirvana in the mix. It was the most relaxing 7 days of my life.

Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had the pleasure to stay at Nivana from Mar 21-28. This was the first time we had NOT stayed at an all-inclusive resort, and did not know exactly what to expect despite the rave reviews.
Arrangements had been made ahead of time for a private pick up at the airport and our driver, Leon, was there waiting as promised. After a stop for supplies, we were on our way. We arrived after dark and were assisted by Patrick from night security, to get settled. We met Sandra & Zemroy the next day, who checked to see if we were doing ok. Our room - upper verandah suite - was equipped with only a hot plate so the housekeepers were unable to cook meals for us, but did make us fresh squeezed orange juice with the bag of oranges we purchased on our first day. The ladies quickly & efficiently cleaned & tidied our room! Even washed a couple of our beach towels upon request, no problem! We LOVED our outdoor shower! Would have liked a bigger room safe. The groundskeepers/gardeners (Moses & his team) did a beautiful job of keeping the property beautiful and the beach area/sand pristine. The day (Errol) & night security (Shine/Patrick) (I apologize for not remembering everyones names) a fantastic job of making us feel safe & secure. Errol placed our chairs for us every morning in a perfect spot providing both sun & shade.
We tried food from a lot of the vendors that came by, fruit, jerk pork, patties, baking & coco bread with cheese. All delicious! Make sure to barter! Tried a couple of restaurants close by. We don't recommend The Boat Bar. Wanted to have a sit down meal, but were approached by a local who had no intention of leaving & was not moved along by the staff, we finally asked for our meal to go because we were uncomfortable and STILL the staff did nothing. Chances has really good pizza.
We did not miss having a tv for a week. There was a radio/cd player with iPod dock so we had music/Internet radio.
The water is clear & normally quite clam. We watched 2 or 3 stingrays swim through every day.
Would we stay again? Definitely! Would we recommend the property to others? Absolutely! Keeping in mind that is not polished marble by any means, but it IS neat, tidy & clean! On the beach, you are not elbow to elbow with other guests in their chairs, plenty of beach space & chairs. Very private & relaxing!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a group of six and we stayed in cottage #2. The cottage had 3 bedrooms an inside bathroom and an outside bathroom. We stayed 7 days and it was too short! We did not want to leave. Nirvana was purely paradise. The staff was extremely cool and helpful. We did worry about adjusting to the weather because there was no a/c in the cottage but it was not a problem. We tend to get hot very easily but, by the second night we got a little chilly. The entire stay was perfect. We will be returning. I've read some reviews on here complaining about the noise level of the road from cottage 1 & 2... and I have to say, its not as bad as these people make out. Just close the windows and crank the fans and you should sleep just fine. And to Zemroy, Sandy, Leon, Arrow, and Shine... We miss you and we'll see you again soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife, a few friends and I stayed at Nirvana for a week recently. It was perfect. The beach is amazing, the rooms are fantastic. The people are the best. Sandra and Zemroy and the others made sure we had everything we needed and were great. No complaints at all. There's no TVs and phones at Nirvana, FYI, which is perfect. What do you need those for anyway? Get yourself outside! On the weekends there are loud bands down the beach that play well into the night. It didn't bother me, because I love reggae but I could hear the bass. But really it was just an amazing experience. A+++++++

Room Tip: Room #4 is a good one.
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

For years I've have wanted to visit Jamaica but just never found the right time or person to go with. Everyone said "oh, Jamaica is dangerous" which, of course, kept me from committing to a trip. Having reached 53 and looking at what I've done and where I've gone and what I've yet to do I decided to bite the bullet and plan a trip to Jamaica.

Like most of us planning a trip I began to search the internet for information and helpful reviews. After what I had read it seems that Negril was the place to visit. So I offered up a trip to my 24 year old niece and was ready for the ride! I did not want to stay at one of those all-inclusive places especially since we would be traveling during Spring Break. I wanted a safe environment without all of the hoopla. I wanted to experience Jamaica as I had always dreamed it would be...laid back in a cottage on the beach.

My exhaustive search led me to Nirvana on the Beach. All of the reviews seemed to cover all of my questions. Secure. Small. Intimate. Family owned. Right up my alley. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated as though we were long lost family members returning home. Zemroy, the General Manager arranged for a private transfer from Mo'Bay Airport. $70 for 2 passengers one way. I wanted a secure transfer since I had no idea what to expect when I arrived the airport. Sandra, the Guest Services Manager, visited with us throughout the week to make sure we were comfortable and if there was anything at all that she could do to make our visit more comfortable. All of the ladies and gentlemen of Nirvana on the Beach were kind, warm, respectful, incredibly accommodating. Errol was the gentleman that provided unobtrusive security during the day as well as guided us with any questions we may have had. Security like this is very hard to come by. It wasn't like having an armed security guard awaiting an uprising as the word "security" may suggest. It was more like having a family member looking after your best interest. In the evening there are two gentlemen overseeing the property. One at the front gate and one on the beach. Sunshine, or "Shine" as he prefers to be called, is there on the beach until the crack of dawn so that if you stroll along the beach at night he will be there to look out for you if you feel the need.

The property is lush with native plants, flower and trees. Being a birder I was overwhelmed by the number of endemic birds of Jamaica that I was while at Nirvana. On my next visit I will be sure to bring binoculars and maybe sneak in a hummingbird feeder because seeing Jamaica's National Bird, the doctor bird (a hummingbird with a long scissor-like tail) is something I thought I'd only see on National Geographic. NOT from my balcony!

There is not a bar or restaurant on the property as each unit boasts its own well equipped kitchen. Your driver will take you to a supermarket on the way from the airport to the property at no additional charge. You will find the prices competitive to U.S. prices or lower. I was very surprised to see that because I usually frequent the USVI and the prices are outrageous in the grocery stores as well as the restaurants. The exchange rate from US to JA dollars varied between .96-.99 to a US dollar. I simply rounded to the dollar-to-dollar exchange.

Having a clean and comfortable room is paramount to me as I travel frequently. I can assure you that our place was spotless upon arrival and was maintained throughout our stay. I was most surprised by the incredibly comfortable bed and pillows. I guess I was expecting a sagging mattress and Kleenex thin pillows. I was proven wrong. My bed was firm yet comfortable and the pillows were perfect. I even traveled with my own king size pillow just in case and I never needed to use it!

The lovely ladies that provided daily service to our unit (never hovered, never knocked at the door saying "housekeeping") changed the bathroom towels daily. It reminded me of when I visit my parents. The towels and bed linens are always soft, clean and comfortable. Again, it was like coming home! The property is so personal and intimate that the staff knew when you were on the beach or away from your unit so as not to disturb you in your room.

The grounds were immaculate. Moses and crew meticulously raked the entire property every morning cleaning up an debris that may have fallen from the trees or plants. Errol cleaned and dried all the lounge chairs every morning and placed them along the beach keeping a comfortable distance from another guest's chair.

Everyone at Nirvana treated me and my niece as I would treat a guest in my home. This courtesy was something that I've never experienced before. The comfort, safety and happiness of their guests is paramount. Since there is no bar or restaurant on the property that means that there's no reason for "outsiders" to wander onto the property. The private aspect of Nirvana is obvious without being obnoxious.

The ladies and gentlemen that stroll the beach each morning offering up fresh fruit, baked goods, freshly squeezed juices and steamed lobster was such a treat. The staff know these vendors personally. They are fully vetted so there should be no concern about the quality and safety of their products. Being a retired chef/owner of a restaurant I am always suspicious of buying fresh food items not knowing their origin and how safely they were kept before they made it my way. The staff at Nirvana know these people as they are there day in and day out and if any guest were to have had problems with freshness, etc. I can assure you that the staff would not permit those offending vendors to stop by their beach.

I left Nirvana with a full heart not only because I experienced Jamaica in all it's natural beauty, but I experienced the natural beauty of the people of Jamaica. I have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and I have never experienced anything like this before. The Jamaican people are so proud of their island, so proud of their heritage and so proud of offering up memories for visitors to take home with them that I knew I would return someday soon.

I never would have imagined that I'd be returning within two months of my first visit. I head back to Nirvana in April but this time with my husband. When I returned home and reported blow-by-blow my rich experience at Nirvana and the love I felt from the people of Jamaica, I was actually brought to tears while recalling every moment.

If you are considering a trip to Jamaica I urge you to consider Nirvana on the Beach which is perfectly situated at the center point of Seven Mile Beach. The beauty of the water is unsurpassed. The silkiness of the powdery sand is nothing that I've experienced before. The rich culture of the people is not limited their music and food but to the pride and love they possess inside their hearts,,,,it extends directly to yours and will forever be a part of you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
nirvananegril, Owner at Nirvana on the Beach, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thanks for your outstanding review, we're so glad to hear about your stay & that you were so happy with all the staff at Nirvana who try their best to show you the best of Negril.

We're delighted to welcome you back next month with your husband & we will show him the same degree of caring we give all our guests, really, your vacation is our priority.

You will among the first guests to see our new bird fountain & orchid garden we are having built now. It will be finished next week & all the Negril birds will be around for a bath & a drink from the new refuge we are working on for them.

Lonnie
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My three girlfriends and I had a great time at Nirvana this past week. We left the property twice and both times wished we hadn't. The Nirvana beach is the best in Negril. We had a three bedroom cottage which was plenty of room, our own outdoor shower, wonderful home cooked meals, fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning. The staff was so nice. We felt very safe and as I type this...I wish I was back at Nirvana.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Nirvana on the Beach? Share your experiences!