“Cut Jamaica Tamboo some slack” 4 of 5 stars

Jamaica Tamboo Resort
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #20 of 38 Negril B&B and Inns
Negril
“Cut Jamaica Tamboo some slack”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Jamaica Tamboo is a hip friendly resort that should be cut some slack . The staff is friendly the ambience great , if you are not into trends and latest then the Tamboo is not for you with a name that means something cultural, they are situated in a zone that is always pumping up the jam . Not all the fault is entirely theirs and my predecessors should give ceasar what is due to ceasar . Jamaica Tamboo has the eloquent John Levy amongst a vibrant administrative staff whom i would like to single out the manager who single handed manages to control and effectively market the property . Whilst they cannot please anyone , they are working hard to overcome the struggles on a daily basis and I admire the amazon of an office manager , so cut some slack to the Tamboo and allow them to learn for in this life , we all cannot be perfect . Its called trial and errors and we all make mistakes. John with the Amazon and the team . Large up yourselves we will be back for more lobster pizza

Room Tip: Room 33 by far the best room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Pros - Right on the beach, neighboring hotels had great food, the staff is nice

Cons - More than an hour away from the airport, there's a club right next door so don't expect to get any sleep until after 3 a.m. every night the music is so loud it's like there performing right in your room, no phone in the room, no safe in the room, no iron in the room, wifi never worked, sheets didn't fit the bed and had holes in them, sheets were dingy, had to keep going to the front desk and asking for was clothes because they never gave us any at all or only gave us one to share, the bar didn't have any food that we tried to order so we had to eat at the neighboring hotels which was great by the way, the locals constantly hung around the bar everyday soliciting tourist to buy marijuana.

This hotel is considered to be a 1 star hotel in American standards. It desperately needs to be renovated. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca R, Guest Relations Manager at Jamaica Tamboo Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. As I explained in a previous response, the nightclub beside us has been forced to turn down the volume. Our guests can now sleep peacefully.

We agree that sheets with holes are unacceptable and have recently replaced our bed linen. We were unaware you were having a problem with WIFI. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will look into this.

We have a zero tolerance policy for people trying to sell drugs on our property. If you were solicited in our bar, that should not have happened. We apologize and will be more vigilant.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was in Jamaica a few weeks ago and i came across a hotel called Jamaica Tamboo Resort it was nice when i saw it but when i got on property i asked this tall older man in a hat for the office and the way in which he looked at me and answered me i felt as if i was a bother to him. when i got to the office the Lady that was working inside was so unprofessional and her attire was unacceptable so i choose to leave. but returned for the pizza when i got back it was sunset we sat at the Bar had a few beers and then our pizza came as we were enjoying our pizza there came some men trying to sell us drugs and sex to us i was so scared and the people at the bar including the older man who i think works there did not even tell them to leave. so Jamaica Tamboo Resort is a really nice place but needs better management and also staff needs training. would i ever return NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would i ever recommend anyone NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience.

We have a zero tolerance policy for the selling of illegal substances or services. We're sorry you were harassed by vendors and will work harder to protect our guests.

If any of our staff members were unhelpful or unprofessional toward you, we apologize. We'll have a discussion with the team to improve in this area.
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at Jamaica Tamboo in late September 2013 for 4 days with my adult daughter. Jackie was most accommodating, and even found us a fridge to use .. even though it broke down after the first day and wasn't replaced. No worries though.
The first night my daughter and I went out and came in late, they locked the front gate and we had to go through Kuyaba a couple doors down to walk through to the beach. The next day I asked security if this will happen again and he gave me his phone # incase it's locked and he will come to open it, however, it never happened again and he left the gate open. It might looks as though there is no security but there is! If you're up late at night you will see them. I felt completely safe. There weren't any lingering people around and my belongings remained safe. They will arrange a taxi, cook things to order, bring you beach loungers etc.
We had breakfast included which was nice .. something we didn't have to worry about. We didn't drink their alcohol so I cannot comment on the strength or quality but I can tell you their ice is frozen and plentiful and they didn't mind sharing.
The wifi was down due to bad weather and it not coming back online. Thankfully I had my phone I bought a digicel SIM card with data.
They brought fresh towels daily. I don't change my linens at home everyday so I didn't expect them to be changed there daily but I'm sure they would have been if I asked. My bed was made and floor swept daily. I felt bad for treking sand in and messing up the place actually.
The water took a while to get hot but it was hot and didn't run out. The toilet and faucets had good pressure. The a/c was comfortable. The windows all had locks that worked.
We were pleased with what we got for what we paid and this fact alone with bring me back with my family or friends.
There isn't a pool and I don't think there are many activities for young children other than the beach. There is a water park down the street that you have to pay for. Bring lots of beach toys!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 30.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Where can i begin, first i must say the staff is super friendly and so welcoming, the room was extremely comfortable and from my it was like 20 steps to the beautiful beach. The food was great good music and great people. The hotel was located close to all the fun stuff for a first timer being in Jamaica. Would i recommend someone to visit Jamaica Tamboo Resort? Yes 100 times over

Room Tip: Room 35 the beds are so relaxing and the AC is super cold just like home
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Tamboo was a find on 7-mile Beach in Negril. A great location! Jackie, John, Shay, Vanessa, and the other staff were sweet and helpful. Realizing that you get what you pay for, the room was simple, but adequate. perhaps a bit crowded the way the furniture was arranged, lol! We never received the same number of towels or washcloths each day and a few times the towels had holes. Hmmmm. Couldn't get WiFi in the room as hoped, but Shay was in the process of adding another router.
Although the beds were very comfortable and the A/C worked well, I have to give sleep quality a 2, because of the EXTREMELY LOUD music that played until around 2 am at the resort next to Tamboo the last night or two of our stay. It was awful.
Will I return to Tamboo in the future? Absolutely, mon!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have a vaulted (cathedral) ceiling...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Jamaica Tamboo was a good overall experience for me and my family, its located along a stretch of white sand beach with a great geographic location, not to far form both my favourite spots in Negril , The Jungle' night club and "Kool Runnings ' water park.
Definitely going back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Jamaica Tamboo Resort? Share your experiences!