“I heart Samsara ” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 90 Hotels in Negril
NYC
“I heart Samsara ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2006

Samsara is not for the primp traveler...it is for travelers who are laid back, like peace and quiet, a super friendly staff, and beautiful cliff side views of the ocean. If you need an ice machine, terry cloth robes, ect...this is not the resort for you. This is the type of resort where the staff become your friends...on our first night we saw a group of travelers on their last day having dinner and two of the dining staff sat with them and toasted to their visit.

I just came back from Negril, and had the best, most relaxing vacation I've ever had! And I travel quite a bit! On our flight home we were already planning our next stay at Samsara! I can't wait to go back!

Some Misc Tips on Jamaica:
Bring US dollars-they are the best bargaining chip...and bring small bills

Talk to the locals! They are not all tyring to rob you...obviously be wary but don't go with a closed mind assuming everyone is trying to get you. I would buy a bracelet from a vendor and he'd give me a hug and an extra bracelet for myself! THIS HAPPEND THREE TIMES TO US!

If you are going to stay at Samsara, bring beach towels...they're towels are a bit on the small side.

TIP!!!!! Most of the staff at these resorts have long commutes. Our buddy Dwayne from Samsara has an hour and a half commute one way and for the morning shift he has to be there at 6am! BE KIND AND TIP!! It will make a difference to the workers, and for your kindness they'll remember your orders and bring you drinks while you sit in the sun just b/c they 'think' you might be thirsty. Hardly anyone tipped when we went and it really upset us! These people work hard!

Enjoy!!!

• Liked — the quiet
  • Disliked — the towels were small for the beach
  • Tips/Secrets — bring US dollars
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

I am used to budget travel so I wasn't scared off by the conditions of Samsara but it was quite different than any Motel 8 I've stayed in the States. The closest comparison I can think of is a weekend cabin.
-All appliances and furniture is in used/poor condition. The ceiling fan looked like it was going to fall down.
-There are large cracks in the doorways and windows for various bugs to find their way to any food you leave in the room.
-Bathrooms are tiny and the towels given to us were tattered and frayed.
-All rooms have an air conditioner but you need a key to operate it. Our room reservation came with AC but I noticed a couple at the front desk being told that they would have to pay an extra $17 a day to get a key for the AC. If you are traveling in the summer you really need to have it. We live in Houston, we know hot, and it would be stifling to suffer w/o AC at night.
-Although we tipped generously we received poor service from the staff (with a couple of exceptions).
-Do not bother eating at Legends. The food looks terrible. There are several other places to eat on the beach that are much cheaper and tastier.
-There isn't much to do past 10pm so you might want to consider bring some sort of entertainment or be prepared to brave local nightlife.
BUT
-The cliffs are beautiful with beautiful room views of the sunsets. It's very quiet, peaceful and relaxing place while we were there (that probably isn't the case during spring break).
-If you're into Scuba or snorkeling there is a Dive shop on site.
-Cliff diving!
-The food is much better than we had hoped for. Be sure to order at least once from their menu instead of the buffet. It's worth it. There is also a TERRIFIC cafe only 1/4 mile down the road called Just Natural. We highly recommend the Jamaican Breakfast with an Oatmeal shake. A huge feast of a breakfast for 2 people cost only $14 US. Great friendly service too!

Some other things that may be helpful:
-Bring beach towels (multiple pp if you're staying more than a couple days)
-Have at least $100 in $1s for tips, cabs, food, or other purchases. US dollars have more bargining power than Jamaican money and many vendors refuse to give you change for larger bills.
-Beware of any Jamaican claiming to give you a gift! An insistant rastafarian tied a friendship bracelet around my wrist as a "friendly gift" and then demanded $20.
-If you go for a walk anywhere outside of the resort grounds know that you will be assulted by several people trying to sell you just about anything you can think of--especially drugs.
-Jamaica is a third world country, be prepared to have poverty confront you especially if you set off on your own outside the resort.

• Stayed July 2006
Bronx, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

I hadn't been to Jamaicia in about 20 years, and my last trip was as a netive since I have relative there. But promised myself if I ever returned it would be as a torist. Read all the reviews good and bad. When with an open mind, and had a wonderful time the service was good, the staff was attentive and the food was good. I would gladly go again. All that I ask is that you go with an open mind and judge for yourself, for the money that was spent, it was well worth it.

Love you the Samsara.

• Stayed October 2005
Puget Sound, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

We stayed at the Samsara Hotel for a week in May and it was NOT a 3 star hotel. Our room was spacious, with 9 windows and a fan, and unbearably hot except for the hours of 10 PM - 6 AM. The door was thin, peeling plywood. Frayed towels were picked up during breakfast and not returned till dinner, so if you went on a morning tour and wanted to shower after, prepare to drip dry. No in room refrigerator, no ice machine, although you were permitted to take a paper cup of ice from the bar. No air conditioning, no shampoo or other toiletries. Our room was on the garden side, across the street from the hotel proper. These units were bungalow type with very thin walls and our neighbor had the TV on 24/7. Otherwise it would have been pleasant to sit on the porch or lie in the hammock. Crossing the street was a nightmare. The hotel is on a blind curve and Jamaicans drive with abandon. The hotel had a crossing guard, but he became incapacitated quite early in the evenings. Staff was overly friendly one minute and hostile the next. One night the waitress asked us to pay before we had even ordered our dinner. We had to give her our credit card in order to be served. The restaurant had very good fish and steak (although the Rockhouse a mile down the road was much nicer for atmosphere - we'll stay there next time). Don't get the all-inclusive plan, though - you will be limited to buffet items like spaghetti. This property calls itself a resort, although it has no amenities like a fitness center, massage, spa, etc. It looks like a part of the terrace was once a tennis court and they do have a water slide that is closed due to its poor condition. The cliff diving they advertise is guests leaping from the crumbling terrace 10' above the surf - real cliff diving is farther up the coast, away from the beaches. There is no beach here, only rocks, but the hotel has a shuttle to its sister property where you may sit on the beach which is patrolled by security guards to keep the hustlers away. We asked the hotel's tour director about the federal reserve for manatees and she had no idea what we were talking about. I showed her our Fodor's guide and she said we should call the Ministry for Tourism. She only knew about the 8 tours she was supposed to sell. All in all, one of our worst choices for a vacation spot.

Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

This place is a total dump! We stayed here for three nights in June 2006. The grounds were not that nice, and there was concrete everywhere! There was some decent snorkeling, but compared to other spots on the West end of Negril, it wasn't that great. The A/C was weak and the bed was so lumpy! The "boxspring" was a cement platform, so if you sat down too hard on the bed, you could feel the cement platform. When you slept or sat in one place on the bed for too long, and got up, an indention remained. The staff wasn't very friendly and the all-inclusive deal they offer is a ripoff. I would not purchase the all-inclusive, if you decide to stay here! I will NEVER stay here again and would not recommend anyone spend money to stay at this place.

• Stayed June 2006
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

I love Samsara. This was my third time, in a one year time period. The staff is great, it is safe, and the views are beautiful. The food is decent, the rooms are clean, and the grounds are well maintained. This is a two star resort, on the cliffs (i.e. not on the beach with sand) so, if you are okay with a budget type hotel and don't mind not being on the beach I would definitely recommend this place to you.

Bring a couple of your own towels for use at the pool or beach cause the ones in the room are small and aren't brought back to your room till after 1pm. Everything is very laid back and at a slower pace so when you ask for things or need things from the staff just keep that in mind... they don't live the fast paced American lifestyle. The snorkeling right off the cliffs is great and the pool was very refreshing.

Lastly, because Jamaica is a tropical island they have mosquitos. Search the internet for 100% DEET to use while you are there and try to find a repleant to spray on your clothes before you go. The combination of both with leave bite free... first time I went used 30% DEET and got SEVERAL quarter sized bited, second time I did the combination that I mentioned above and didn't get on bite, third time just used the 100% DEET and get 4-5 bites that were too big.

P.S. Cab fare from Samsara to Legends should be $5.00 US per person. Unless it's late at night then it's double.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

We paid $415 for 5 nights including air so, we didn't expect much more than we received. There is NO A/C in the huts so make sure your room is equipped becuase it is hot. I did not purchase the all inclusive. The local cuisine was much better. I recommed Just Natural, 5 min walk up the cliffs, and 3 Dives a little further up the cliffs. The food at the hotel was nothing to write home about, and the drinks were mediocre. The all inclusive ends at 10 pm and after that you can get nothing, including water. There is not an ice machine either. So stack up on the H2o before 10. There is also a great little place called mikozy at the bottom of the hill near the beach. I highly recommed stopping there for a iced rum and coffee and a calloo wrap. If you take the ONE hour walk from Samsare to the beach be prepared...Everyone asks for money and some are quite aggressive. If you go into the local bar (near Miskozy) get your beer and get out do not sit down with the locals. We were basically robbed there. The hotel was okay for what we paid. If your a budget traveler I recommed it. If you want to just hang out at a resort and enjoy an all-inclusive this is NOT the place for you, you will be bored. There is no other entertainment other than drinking and eating.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Samsara Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!