“Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Puget Sound, WA
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

We stayed at the Samsara Hotel for a week in May and it was NOT a 3 star hotel. Our room was spacious, with 9 windows and a fan, and unbearably hot except for the hours of 10 PM - 6 AM. The door was thin, peeling plywood. Frayed towels were picked up during breakfast and not returned till dinner, so if you went on a morning tour and wanted to shower after, prepare to drip dry. No in room refrigerator, no ice machine, although you were permitted to take a paper cup of ice from the bar. No air conditioning, no shampoo or other toiletries. Our room was on the garden side, across the street from the hotel proper. These units were bungalow type with very thin walls and our neighbor had the TV on 24/7. Otherwise it would have been pleasant to sit on the porch or lie in the hammock. Crossing the street was a nightmare. The hotel is on a blind curve and Jamaicans drive with abandon. The hotel had a crossing guard, but he became incapacitated quite early in the evenings. Staff was overly friendly one minute and hostile the next. One night the waitress asked us to pay before we had even ordered our dinner. We had to give her our credit card in order to be served. The restaurant had very good fish and steak (although the Rockhouse a mile down the road was much nicer for atmosphere - we'll stay there next time). Don't get the all-inclusive plan, though - you will be limited to buffet items like spaghetti. This property calls itself a resort, although it has no amenities like a fitness center, massage, spa, etc. It looks like a part of the terrace was once a tennis court and they do have a water slide that is closed due to its poor condition. The cliff diving they advertise is guests leaping from the crumbling terrace 10' above the surf - real cliff diving is farther up the coast, away from the beaches. There is no beach here, only rocks, but the hotel has a shuttle to its sister property where you may sit on the beach which is patrolled by security guards to keep the hustlers away. We asked the hotel's tour director about the federal reserve for manatees and she had no idea what we were talking about. I showed her our Fodor's guide and she said we should call the Ministry for Tourism. She only knew about the 8 tours she was supposed to sell. All in all, one of our worst choices for a vacation spot.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Polish first
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

This place is a total dump! We stayed here for three nights in June 2006. The grounds were not that nice, and there was concrete everywhere! There was some decent snorkeling, but compared to other spots on the West end of Negril, it wasn't that great. The A/C was weak and the bed was so lumpy! The "boxspring" was a cement platform, so if you sat down too hard on the bed, you could feel the cement platform. When you slept or sat in one place on the bed for too long, and got up, an indention remained. The staff wasn't very friendly and the all-inclusive deal they offer is a ripoff. I would not purchase the all-inclusive, if you decide to stay here! I will NEVER stay here again and would not recommend anyone spend money to stay at this place.

• Stayed June 2006
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

I love Samsara. This was my third time, in a one year time period. The staff is great, it is safe, and the views are beautiful. The food is decent, the rooms are clean, and the grounds are well maintained. This is a two star resort, on the cliffs (i.e. not on the beach with sand) so, if you are okay with a budget type hotel and don't mind not being on the beach I would definitely recommend this place to you.

Bring a couple of your own towels for use at the pool or beach cause the ones in the room are small and aren't brought back to your room till after 1pm. Everything is very laid back and at a slower pace so when you ask for things or need things from the staff just keep that in mind... they don't live the fast paced American lifestyle. The snorkeling right off the cliffs is great and the pool was very refreshing.

Lastly, because Jamaica is a tropical island they have mosquitos. Search the internet for 100% DEET to use while you are there and try to find a repleant to spray on your clothes before you go. The combination of both with leave bite free... first time I went used 30% DEET and got SEVERAL quarter sized bited, second time I did the combination that I mentioned above and didn't get on bite, third time just used the 100% DEET and get 4-5 bites that were too big.

P.S. Cab fare from Samsara to Legends should be $5.00 US per person. Unless it's late at night then it's double.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

We paid $415 for 5 nights including air so, we didn't expect much more than we received. There is NO A/C in the huts so make sure your room is equipped becuase it is hot. I did not purchase the all inclusive. The local cuisine was much better. I recommed Just Natural, 5 min walk up the cliffs, and 3 Dives a little further up the cliffs. The food at the hotel was nothing to write home about, and the drinks were mediocre. The all inclusive ends at 10 pm and after that you can get nothing, including water. There is not an ice machine either. So stack up on the H2o before 10. There is also a great little place called mikozy at the bottom of the hill near the beach. I highly recommed stopping there for a iced rum and coffee and a calloo wrap. If you take the ONE hour walk from Samsare to the beach be prepared...Everyone asks for money and some are quite aggressive. If you go into the local bar (near Miskozy) get your beer and get out do not sit down with the locals. We were basically robbed there. The hotel was okay for what we paid. If your a budget traveler I recommed it. If you want to just hang out at a resort and enjoy an all-inclusive this is NOT the place for you, you will be bored. There is no other entertainment other than drinking and eating.

kyle2kmaxima
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2006

my girlfriend and i stayed at the samsara btw 5/20 and 5/26... we stayed in room201, one of the ocean view rooms with AC.. first, i must say, like others, i was hestiant after reading the reviews about samsara... but when we checked in, we weren't sure why all the negative reviews.... visitors have to keep in mind, u're visiting jamaica, a very poor country as a whole, you will see this on the drive in from the airport... you're probably paying a fraction of what you'll pay at the high end resorts... the room we stayed in was clean, had AC and had a beautiful view of the ocean... yes, its a lil worn, we did see a lot of ants running around, we even saw a big roach outside the walkway... but our room was clean and the furniture wasnt what u would expect at the hilton, but this is jamaica.. someone mentioned that the bed was cinderblocks and a mattress pad.. it wasn't in our room... what they do here looks like, they have a concrete base and then a regular mattress on top of that which was firm and comfy.. my gf commented how comfy she was in bed... in 201, it was only one full size bed, but that was fine with us...

the food was okay to good.... we had the AI plan, and planned on going out to eat if the food wasn't good.. to our surprise, we went out to breakfast twice in 7 days.. all other meals we highly enjoyed at the samsara... like other mentioned, if u're doing AI, u could go over to Legends and have your meals and drinks there... I must say, i disliked the meals at Legends... we had lunch there while we were on the beach 2 of the days and at one meal.. they were serving chicken wings and pizza... the pizza according to my gf was like cardboard and the big lady serving you food behind the buffet gave me 2 wings to go with my potatoe salad.... yes.. 2 pieces of a wing, when put together, it was ONE chicken wing... when i asked for more, she gave me another piece... as if i was hassling her... all the hassle for some salad and 1 1/2 wings.... i would like to know who hired her? and if they interviewed her for her customer service or to save the place some money... on the other hand, the bartenders at both Legends and Samsara were awesome.. they have a list of AI drinks.. which included pina coloda and strawberry daquires and other simple drinks... they made me banana daquiries.. just ask for the drink menus and u'll see what's free and whats not.... tell Maureen (bartender at samsara) that kyle and sandra says hi.. she's such a sweet lady and a bunch of other folks that work there are super sweet as well..some are more willing than others to make sure your stay is wonderful and everything taken cared of..... its true, that the bar is open from 10am to 10pm... and that breakfast is only served btw 8am and 10am, lunch btw 12pm and 2pm ..and dinner btw 7pm and 9pm.... like i said... the food on avg is pretty good... but 2 of the mornings, the breakfast looked pretty sad, it was scrambled eggs that didn't look good, and it was mackerel in tomatoe sauce (fish).. yuck.. we went across the street to CHOICES, and had a nice american breakfast of sunnyside up eggs, toast... and the other time, we went to Just Natural, which is further down on the cliffs (5min walk from samsara) and the food there were very good even though the place looked a lil dismal...

if anyone has questions, email me and i'll try to answer your questions as best as i can... would i do stay at the samsara again?? heck yes..

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2006

My Fiance and I stayed at the Samsara from May 18-22, 2006. Though this was my fourteenth time traveling to Jamaica, it was my fiances first time to Jamaica. I had become use to the larger resorts, but this was a nice change at the Samsara. I was a little worried due to reviews that I had previous read from other visitors. I'm glad I kept our reservations. This place is truely a hidden gem. Everything was absolutely wonderful, from check-in to check-out. The Check-in process only took a few minutes and we were immediately up-graded to one of the four tree-like houses facing the sea. What an experience, I really enjoyed showering outside, you must try it! The staff were awesome and went out of their way to make sure you were taken care of. The food was good, but there needs to be something available for late night people who like to snack. We had the all-inclusive option in which we enjoyed. Having the all-inclusive option allows you access to Legends as well. This was great because Legends is where this beautiful sandy beach is located and your food and drinks are also included. Though much busier than Samsara, it's a nice change once you've relaxed at the Sasara. The Samsara is for the person who wants to relax and daydream. If you're a diver, you will fall in love with the Samsara. The beauty of the property and the cliffs will take your breath away. Some people got up early and just jumped off the cliffs to cool off. The water could be a bit rough later in the day, but worth exploring. Just remember to take your own beach towels and to watch your children. There is no life guard and no rails. The staff is AWESOME! Everyone was so friendly. We never lacked or needed for anything. We're planning our next trip before the end of the summer. Keep up the good work!!

Queens NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2006

I totally enjoyed my stay at this resort. This resort is for the experience vistor of Jamaica. I stayed in the Pillar House. It had a rustic touch with the outdoor showers that added to the ellegance. Though I didnt submit myself to the all enclusive the food was very good. However if you want some additional Jamaican fovorite dishes i would siggest 3 Dives just 5 min. down the street.

Been to Samsara Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!