“Samsara a deal even with petty theft” 3 of 5 stars

Samsara Cliffs Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #43 of 90 Hotels in Negril
China Spring Texas
“Samsara a deal even with petty theft”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2005

Samara is nothing posh, but a beautiful location, clean rooms, but we got a digital music player and fishing pole stolen from the room. Most all people were wonderful. We brought some gifts like hot wheels cars and black barbie dolls to give to brighten people up and it made a big impression. The people are very poor with mostly tourists to make their living from. We also brought shoes and school supplies along with childrens books. The all-age school is on the way into Negril from Samsara. If you can afford to go to Jamaica, you can afford to help ease some poverty there. Check the rich American attitude at the airport. Treat people with respect and you will get it back. I would go back, but get a room on the beach for less money.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

We just came back from Jamaica on Friday, September 30, 2005. We originally booked the Samsara for 4 days . . . thought we would try the cliffs for snorkling. It took 3 rooms before we could find one we would even spend the night in!! We booked the room with air conditioning and when we got there, they started tacking on all kind of fees. The coral was dead and no fishes. The state of the hotel is rundown and no one is repairing or grooming the grounds. Don't even ask to get a bucket of ice for the room! The next morning we called the Coco La Palm to try to get a beachside room!! They wouldn't have an opening until Wednesday morning. We told the folks at Samsara we were not happy with their accomidations and that we would like a refund for the last two days of our stay; they said no! We did get back the $15 a night for the a/c but that was all they would do for us.
I have pictures I'll share with anyone who wants to see them. NURSEWERA@SBCGLOBAL.NET
We have traveled all through Europe and the Caribbean and this was a real DUMP!! Stay on the beach at Coco La Palm, Rm 732!! They are always "grooming" the grounds, cleaning, and repairing.
There is a "special" advertised through WorryFree Vacations, featuring Coco and Samsara at the same price . . . no comparison!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2005

Our stay was relaxing. We traveled with family and friends - there were 8 in our group. We found the accomodations decent and any inconveniences that we encountered were quickly handled by DARRON, Jean - of housekeeping, the Gardener, Sabrina and DeWayne the waiter.

The personnel at he front desk were sometimes friendly; always cordial - there was always a security guard at the front entrance to help us, to answer any questions about side-trips or places to eat as well as helping to call for transportation. We recommend HOTEL SAM-SARA and would love to visit again.

If you are looking for peace and quiet and simplicity; this is just the place. You can jump off the 12-15 foot cliffs or walk down the steps to the ocean; snorkelling and scuba is readily available and offers quite a site.

The hotel has arrangements for a free-shuttle once a day at a set time; back & forth to THE LEGENDS hotel/restaurant so you could visit the beach and walk in the sand and endure vendors and others offering sailboating, jet-skiing, parasailing, catamarands, selling fresh fruit or braiding your hair, etc. While there you had many other resturants and shops in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2005
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2005

Samsara is a hotel for those who want to be in Negril but away from the hype of the main strip. The atmosphere on the cliffs at night is more amazing than words can describe. This is one of the most beautiful locations on earth. We stayed in a garden-side villa, which is basic. We found the absence of air conditioning somewhat hard to manage - however that is probably because we are spoilt being so used to it at home. I would recommend an ocean-side room if air conditioning is a must.

To be honest, who wants to stay in their room when there is so much to experience in Negril. It is easy to lay around and soak in the excuisite surroundings, sip on frozen cocktails, listen to live reggae, it's like heaven - but I urge you to get out and look around, speak to the people - hire a moped and cruise up to the end of the cliffs, down to the strip and as far as your hearts content - you will see so much on the way and end up in Montego Bay.

For those on a budget who want to be slightly away from the hype - Samsara is perfect.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2005

I stayed at Samsara Cliffs Hotel from August 15-23. It was my first visit to Negril and I absolutely loved Negril and Samsara. My room was clean, spacious, and the view of the Caribbean Sea and the cliffs was awsome. The sunsets- also awsome. The swimming pool was beautiful and well maintained.

I have only 3 negatives regarding Samsara - the food was ok, could have been better; the drinks tasted watered down, not enought liquor, too much ice; when I checked in I was told that I had to pay $50 extra for air conditioning. Warning to future guests!! When you or your travel agent books Samsara be sure to request air conditioning in your room. If not, the ceiling fan does not do a good job of cooling off the room.

The staff at the front desk, the restaurant, and the bartender are all friendly, courteous and professional. I highly recommend Samara. It is an underrated gem of a hotel. I plan to visit Negril again in August 2006, and not doubt about it, I will be staying at Samara.

• Stayed August 2005
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

Samsara is perfect for the budget traveler. If you are expecting something in comparison to Sandals it will be a rude awakening. It is the bare essentials. But for me that is fine, I wouldn't be able to experience Jamaica any other way.

The staff were VERY kind and helpful. They want to help you and were happy to do so. A gardener asked if we wanted him to get a coconut for us. We don't even like coconut but he was so happy to run up the tree and then chop the top off for us that we couldn't burst his bubble. The girls at the front desk, not so much, but they got their job done.

The sunsets were incredible. And the pictures I have posted are REAL... I took them myself. So, you can see how beautiful it is at the hotel.

Due to hurrican Dennis I spent a lot of time at the hotel and got to know the staff and other guests, to whom I have kept in contact with. My experience was so great that I am planning on going back in November.

• Stayed July 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2005

Hello all.

I don't want to put anybody off. I was dreading the holiday after reading the reviews, It was my second time in Negril but I probably won't choose Samsara again...Reason!!! We burned incense to help rid the mosquito's who bite like mad.We accidently burned the TV with an incense stick, causing a few minor superficial holes to the top of the TV. Samsara charged us $200 US for a new TV when I'm sure the damage could have been smoothed over, we would not have minded paying for repairs. We were very short on cash and asked if we could pay upon return to England. We were treated like criminals, they said they would contact the tour operator and the police and if need be send us home. We had the support of our rep but there was nothing she could do. My mother had to fax credit card details as if we had used our money we would have been broke. All I would say is be very careful not to damage anything.

The all inclusive deal is the best option, the cocktails are lush and the scenery beautiful. You will need to request air conditioning as the huts are very hot but lovely. We stayed at the back which was very private. Some staff can be a little abrupt but the majority are ok. Barker (resident driver) is lovely but barter a price beforehand. Marlon (barman) is very friendly as is dwayne the night security guard. Make sure you pay a visit to legends.

All in all Samsara is a lovely place if you don't damage anything! It was still a very enjoyable experience. Negril is wicked!!!!

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Samsara Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!