“Needs better cleanliness and more caring employees!!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
5th Night Free!
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Needs better cleanliness and more caring employees!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My family and I went to Jamaica for her birthday. However for 2 of us it was our first time. Well we stayed for 4days at the Samsara Cliff resort in Negril. I think they need more cleanliness on the outside of their rooms because the air condition drips water right where you have to enter the room and their is no mat or anything to keep you from slipping and falling. Poor lighting on the outside of your room at night like your in a jungle. I got very frustrated with the checkout because they ask for a $100 deposit when I check my account it was $115 they put on hold for a deposit. Well when we did checkout they said it will be refunded the same day. It was not, even tho I know some banks take time. I contacted my bank after 3days the money was never released from Samsara, when I contacted Samsara they told me they would not contact my banks merchant service after that was my banks request from the hotel so they could release my deposit. After we spent $750 to stay at their hotel. So I let them know I would not be returning or recommending them to nobody and my family agreed. The money was finally released on the 5th day after our checkout.!! Wow!!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Legends over Samsara!

I returned from Samsara on May 24, 2015. I will begin my review from landing at the airport and so forth.

Airport –We arrived around 1:00 pm and I was surprised to see short lines in customs. We proceeded to the Jamaica Tours Limited area to check in for ground transportation. They worked as quickly as possible to get us to the van. Our driver was Paul and he was pleasant. I did not realize the ride from Montego Bay to Negril was 1-1/2 hour drive but Paul was nice enough to stop halfway so we could get an adult beverage and use the restroom. We had a lively bunch in the van so the time passed quickly.

Samara Check-In – It did not take us long to check-in and there is a $100 hold on your bankcard and a $1 daily for hotel tax. Lunch service ended by the time we arrived and the attendant was nice enough to have someone prepare a late lunch for us (Late lunch consist of a choice of the following: Grill cheese sandwich, hamburger, cheese pizza, or salad). Guest receives a bottle of water upon arrival.

Room: We stayed on the Garden View side and crossing the road was not bad at all (Keep in mind the traffic flow). The rooms are very spacious and minimum decoration. There were two desks and a closet. The bathroom shape is a bit odd but works fine. I have to commend the property for keeping the room very clean. The website displays the garden view room without A/C but the room does have an air conditioner unit that will cost you $14 extra daily. The rooms do not have any pens, pads, etc. The only toiletry available in the bathroom is a small bar of soap to wash your hands. If you want one of the pillar huts, note there are only four and go fast.

Grounds: The cliff side is nice but I do not believe there were any lifeguards around so please be careful when jumping off the cliff. The pool and Jacuzzi looked clean and there are plenty of seats and loungers.

Bar: We hung at the bar the night we arrived and found it to be very boring. They do not provide any entertainment and the bartender refused to turn up the radio. The Red Stripe on tap was weak or rather watered down. There were not many people frequenting the bar and the resort closes down at 10 p.m.

Food: The food is very bland and served buffet style but servers portion out the food. The cups are small so it would be wise to bring your own drinking container. I decided to have breakfast at “The Sweet Spot” (less than five mins from Legends). They served stewed chicken, green banana, callaloo, salt fish with ackee, and dumpling. Other places to eat in Negril are the following: Sweet Spice, Boardwalk, and Three Dives, Corner Sports Bar and Restaurant, and Presley’s Bar and Grill for seafood across from the Rock House Hotel.

Sister Property Legends: We spent the majority of our time on the beach side. We did not eat at Legends but it is all-inclusive like Samsara. The property has a small section of the beach and you really need to get there early (Shuttle from Samsara is 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.). Warning: Most of the loungers have mildew stains and the property does not provide towels. There is a small gift shop near the bar and towels are $15 ea or two for $25 (Trust me it is necessary if you use the loungers).

Next door to Legends: Welcome to Jamaica Tamboo Resort. They know how to party! DJ Paparazzi plays great music and he takes request. Poppi can get you good deals with excursions (Tell him Michelle says hello!). The lunch menu at Tamboo is awesome and I highly recommend the curry chicken! Red Stripe in the bottle cost $3 and do not be afraid to buy a mango from the fruit lady (sweet). If you are lucky, DJ Paparazzi will place a table on the beach and provide a bottle of rum for anyone to partake.

Beach: I cannot express enough how beautiful the water looks. I did not find street vendors badgering the visitors at all like many have post. The beach is groom well and I did not have to worry about cigarette butts or glass. I found everyone to be very respectful and the local men are very courteous and watch out for the visitors. It is important to remember, the better your attitude will equate to a great time. The locals will tell you about deals and save you money.

Closing: I will return to Negril and stay at Legends but only on the European plan. The bars and restaurants are budget friendly. Samsara is nice but I prefer to be near the beach and music! If you are use to a four or five star resort, this may not be the place for you. If you do not mind clean and no frills and expect a good time then I will bump into you one day!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay on the Garden View side request 5B.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, Nederland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Samsara is a basic hotel, it needs some renovation in the shared area's. The staff was very friendly. You can rent a safe behind the reception room for a few dollars per day.

We stayed in a cottage which was really nice with sea view and very comfortable big bed, airconditioning and en ceiling fan. The only disadvantage was that we could hear our neighbors because the cottages are three in a row and share walls. But we had a great holiday and didn't bother :)

I would advise this hotel for low budget travelers with not to many expectations so you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The superior room with beach view has airconditioning and wifi. The upgrade is more than worth it!
The Villages, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just returned from a ten day stay in Negril, on the cliffs at Samsara Cliffs Resort. We stayed in one of the four Pillar Houses (No. T3). I am reluctant to give a negative review to this hotel, as the staff was mostly very friendly and competent, but the condition of the resort leaves a lot to be desired. Obviously we didn’t expect perfection, knowing the resort is rated only as a three star, but in reality we were surprised at how run down it was. On the first day we had no hot water at all, and the front desk’s response was “well you know all of our hot water is solar powered, so maybe you need to wait until later in the day”. Thanks for that. General hotel maintenance was simply deficient. There is a nice two-foot stone wall between the pillar houses and the cliffs, and someone had put one of the metal ocean access ladders from the cliffs on top of the wall, where it leaked rust all over. It looked really shabby. After about four days the rusty ladder was finally removed, but the rust stains remained permanently. A pile of several old broken concrete blocks remained in front of our pillar house for our entire stay. A piece of the ceiling in the bar fell down while we were there – this was a piece of concrete weighing at least 20 pounds which fell directly on a bar stool. If anyone had been sitting there they could have been severely injured. You could see the rebar remaining in the hole in the ceiling. The electrical plugs in our room were extremely loose, so much so that you had to hold a plug in by hand or you got no power. These would be easy to replace, but apparently it’s not a priority. This was a problem for both hair dryers and tablet charging. And there is no plug whatsoever in the bathroom, which is inconvenient. It’s hard to believe, but there were no smoke alarms in Pillar House T3 – I don’t know about the rest of the resort. The bed was fine, with a nice firm mattress and it was kept very clean by a friendly maid. The furniture is old and run down. Worst of all, this resort will really nickel and dime you to death. I rented a refrigerator for $12 a day plus tax. OK, I expected that, but in the end I paid well over $100 to rent an old small refrigerator which was worth about $50. I also paid about $6.00 a day extra for a safety deposit box at the front desk. Then, when I tried to call the Italian restaurant across the street to order a pizza, I was told by the front desk that I had to pay extra to have my room phone connected to the outside. This was especially outrageous, as I had paid over $200 a night for the room. There is spotty free wi-fi in the bar area, so I went ahead and purchased the pay internet (it’s very expensive for the daily rate, but more reasonable by the week - around $35) and the signal was strong and with excellent speed. We didn’t purchase the all-inclusive package, but we did eat a few times ala carte in the restaurant. The food was OK, but nothing to write home about. Burgers were strange tasting, but we really liked the fries, and the breakfast was pretty good. Service at the bar was good. We saw bartenders O’Wayne and Sherona prepare a lot of drinks for the all-inclusive guests and other pay-by-the-drink guests like us, and they were more than generous with the alcohol. In fact, the drink listing for all-inclusive guests is surprisingly big. But overall, I would not recommend this hotel. The view is really beautiful from the front porch of the Pillar Houses. And jumping into the ocean from the cliffs is fun. But that’s about all we were happy with. We have vacationed in other poor Caribbean countries, but this was our worst experience to-date. We won’t be back.

Room Tip: Pillar Houses are nice, but very small. Views from the front porch are amazing.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Beautiful location that is private and secluded with wonderful snorkelling. While I wouldn't call it a "dump" as some reviewers have, the place is getting a bit run down. For example, our room could use a fresh coat of paint and there are missing tiles in the pool. The food is adequate but selection is limited. It is definitely a no-frills place, so if you approach your vacation there as being at "the cottage" you will have a nice time. Bring your own beach towels, shampoo and conditioner as these are not supplied.

On the positive, the staff is friendly courteous and helpful and they work very hard. The place is clean.

It would be nice, though, to have somewhere to wash and dry towels, as they quickly become salt-encrusted.

Finally, I had a bit of difficulty adjusting to the meal schedule. If you eat lunch at noon, you have to wait for seven hours for dinner which is a long stretch. No coffee before 7:00AM and no breakfast before 8:00AM.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We had 7 days at another cliff resort, and added on a day at Samsara. We stayed in a cottage last time and this time had a chance to stay in a pillar house. We had stayed 2 years ago, and visited for a day last year. It was so nice that the owner greeted and remembered us once again, and the bar staff did as well. Shout out to Sherona and Owayne. Samsara is starting to feel like "home away from home". I'll review this as a return guest and say that we had a peek in the cottages, which have all been freshly painted and have new furniture. The décor was a bit dark and dated last time but they look clean and fresh. The property is looking really good. Every time we go, someone is painting and the pool and common areas are very clean. We always eat at Ciao Jamaica, across the street, and friends from the other property we stayed at walked 1km up to Ciao three times to eat. The food is great there. The food is good at Samsara, too. We've stayed at 3 places on the cliffs and I like the cliff jumping here the best. Samsara is very reasonably priced and the rooms are not Canadian 4+, but they are clean, the food is good, the staff and owner are warm and friendly and the property is very well secured with staff. You are safe. Looking forward to another visit.

Room Tip: Pillars have an awesome view!
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Much better than we expect, excellent food, nice view from the balcony, and wonderfull sunset. The staff was amazing and we really enjoy our experience there and we would return any time.

The legend is 5 min in car from there, the shuttle comes everymorning at 10am to pick us, and bring us back at 16h.

The beach in legend is really nice and there are 2 really nice pools there.

Hope you enjoy it to.

Room Tip: ocean view or the bungalow
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Samsara Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!