“Samsara Cliff” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Atlanta, Georgia
“Samsara Cliff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Overall the trip to Samsara Cliff was a nice one. You get what you pay for. if you are looking for a 5 star hotel experience, you will not get it here. The rooms and property could use renovation, but most of the staff was pleasant. The meals were decent, and the drinks were pretty good. I stayed for 6 days and visited the sister resort Legends. It's about a 10 minute drive away from Samsara and has a beach, which Samsara does not. The locals can be a pest. Everyone is looking for a tip. Hey I am your friend, let me show you a nice place to eat........... Point you around the corner, and they expect a tip. I mean everyone has their hand out and can be aggressive. Politely decline and keep moving! Our bathroom had an old mildew smell, but overall I was pleased.

Room Tip: Maybe the villa.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Hi Joe, thanks for the nice review about your recent stay. Samsara still has that chilled vibe that put Negril on the map so many years ago. So you're absolutely right, if you want something more or different then go for it! Respectfully one will not find a 5 star resort at Samsara simply because we are not and do not market ourselves as such. To come expecting that would be a little strange. But you said it well, you get you get what you pay for which is excellent value, spectacular ocean front location, clean rooms, good service, and convenient exchange privileges at Legends Beach via free daily shuttle! We're also happy you enjoyed our food & beverage service and friendly staff. Your excellent tips on beach etiquette are surely helpful to future visitors to Negril so thanks for sharing those too. We thank you again for your visit and hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in numerous resorts in Negril and this was my first time staying at Samsara. This place is absolutely amazing! I had to double check which hotel I was writing a review for because I was so shocked by the last two negative reviews of Samsara, having experienced the very opposite. This place is wonderful.
Physically the layout is perfect; rooms are clean and well kept. We had a brand new AC unit and flat screen TV in our room which makes me think they must have been in the process of upgrading. I get the impression that a lot of people who come to stay in these resorts fail to recognize that they are indeed in a developing country and they bring their first world biases with them. Samsara is located on the cliffs in the more western end of Negril. The view of the ocean is breathtaking and we even saw dolphins numerous times. The water is always crystal clear and perfect for swimming (and jumping off the cliffs if you're brave). The food is amazing as well, a good variety of authentic Jamaican and comfortable American options. Always fresh fruit too.

From the second I checked in the front desk staff were very friendly and security made sure I felt safe at all times. The maids are all sweethearts and the gardener was very funny and always singing to himself. I even crossed paths with the manager a few times who was very down to earth and went over and above in terms of recommending places to go and transportation. Everyone was very accommodating. If you want a change of scenery you can take the shuttle over to the sister resort Legends, which is located directly on 7 mile beach in the core of all the action.

I have found my new favourite spot in Negril and my only regret is that I didn't discover this place sooner. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2014
Wow thanks for such an awesome review! We're happy you were pleased with everything at Samsara from your well appointed room (yes we are doing upgrades to all the rooms!), friendly staff complete with singing gardener (Melvin the Man), breathtaking ocean front location, and amazing home-cooked food. It makes us happy to see you happy with all we have to offer. Seeing dolphins swimming by Samsara is one of the most inspiring sights, we do agree! It's mother nature putting on an unexpected show of some beautiful creatures in their natural environment. It's so cool you got to see that ... more than once! That's great that too that you took the time to get over to Legends, with it's prime beach location within walking distance to watersports, shops, and entertainment. Great to hear we're your new favorite spot in Negril! That means we'll be seeing more of you soon so keep in touch to hear about our upcoming promotions and repeat discounts. Thanks again for all your kind words you shared with other travelers. It is much appreciated. One love!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was the worst experience I've ever had at ANY hotel/resort I've ever been to!!! I had numerous problems with this place but one of the the major ones was that I sustained a bad injury in the pool area due to an ill fitting skimmer cover and was bleeding profusely. It took the grounds keeper over 20 minutes to come to clean up and that "clean up" consisted of pouring water on the area and pushing it off to the side with a broom. Now I realize we're in Jamaica and time isn't a huge factor but when there is someone's blood present in a public area it should be!!! Also the staff need to be trained on how to clean up potentially infectious material( blood,vomit,etc). I asked for the name of the general manager and was told they are not allowed to give out that information. I would just need to keep checking to see if he or she was around. Totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned! Oh and it took them HOURS to replace the broken skimmer cover leaving it open for someone else to fall through. Cleanliness is clearly not a priority for them as there was a significant amount of green algae around the inside rim in the pool. Disgusting!!!! The bathroom sink in our room leaked causing us to slip an the slippery bathroom tiles. It was reported on day one and was never fixed. I would never stay at Samsara again and would encourage anyone even considering this property to look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, we appreciate your review although we're sorry to hear you got hurt at the pool and regret your general impressions. Our staff are well trained in HAACP methods of sanitation and safety with quarterly seminars. That was bleach and disinfectant being poured on the area and it's a large property so staff are sometimes at the other end of the five acre area. It is true that sometimes things can be done quicker or better in any business anywhere in the world, but our hard working staff does an overall excellent job of keeping things clean and in working order day in and day out. We commend them for that. In addition our Manager, Miss Pauline immediately attended to the scrape on your foot personally with first aid treatment, however you did not mention that in your review. Respectfully we do not agree that cleanliness is not our priority. Clearly that could never be true. We care greatly about our guests' comfort and well-being. Again we apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. Thank you for your visit!
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Be warned, what a terrible resort, many of the rooms with no AC, rooms with AC broken, walking across the road to your room is at your own peril. Just too many things to list them all, but the biggest was finding our all inclusive package didn't allow us to have ham in an owlet - seriously! We were told we would have t pay extra.

Now Im certain some well meaning person from the resort is going to thank me for my review and say how they are trying to improve things - don't believe. To demonstrate how angry we were, we went home from our vacation two days early, and returned to Canada.

You've been warned.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We're sorry we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. Our customer service team will look up the details of your stay to discuss and learn how we may have responded better to your needs. If you care to identify yourself which would make the process more effective, we would welcome a direct email please. We respect your opinion and take your feedback seriously, as well as the countless opinions and reviews of other valued customers who very much enjoy their stays at Samsara, many of whom are yearly visitors. Thanks again for your visit. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Love this hotel, stayed there from the end of May-June 2014. The staff are lovely, especially the bar staff. Love the privacy it offers and the facilities, we had a sea view room, which was lovely. There wasn't much in the sense of entertainment or meal choice but it was a wonderful experience. Love the fact that we could enjoy two resort for the price of one by visiting Legends Resort as well. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: To enjoy the view of the cliffs, I would recommend a sea view room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit and lovely review! Your thoughtful words described your positive experience so well. We're so happy you loved your sea view room and Samsara's unique location, as well as the completely different area surrounding Legends Beach. Our guests really do love the fact that they have access to both facilities when staying at one. We'll be sure to pass on your compliments to our friendly bar staff who keep the drinks cool and the glasses full all day. They're a great team! So my dear looking forward to seeing you again soon, please do let us know in advance so we make sure you get your special pricing and any other requests you might have. Thanks again for your visit!
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Just returned from a week at Samsara after 25 years. We had a group of 8 adults and have to say it was great for all of us. After reading the reviews I have to admit I was on the fence but I am so glad I stuck with Samsara. Everyone was friendly and very helpful. Our room was spacious, clean and the A/C worked perfect. We had a Ocean view which was not blocked by foliage.

I had read a remark and I must say it again.....If you are looking for Sandals type amenities, then go to Sandals or similar. If you want the Real Negril, then book at Samsara as that is why we loved it. #onelove

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hey friend, thanks for such a nice review and for sharing your experience with other travelers. It's great that you made it back to Samsara after 25 years, wow! We're happy to know you and your friends had such a good visit. Thanks for sticking with us! You are absolutely right about the importance of knowing what you want ahead of time and making a good informed choice of hotel. Our staff will be happy to know you were pleased with the accommodations, locations, and friendly service. Our team does a very good job of looking after our valued guests like you. Thanks again for returning. We hope to see you again one day! One love!
Kent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from two weeks at Samsara, this was my 2nd visit and my partners 3rd visit we last visited 16 years ago with our children , we had such a fantastic holiday so we returned to Samsara , However we felt that the resort had not changed in appearance rooms were almost exactly the same, , we upgraded our room to ocean Veiw with AC , yes we got AC and the room faced the ocean but all we could see was a coconut tree covering the whole Veiw , was very disappointed with no towel policy was suggested we buy a towel at the gift shop if we didn't bring one, i do t think I have stayed at a hotel that didn't supply pool towels for at least 10 years. Food- we were on B and B basis thankfully, however the food seemed to be very American , how can a Jamaican hotel not serve Akee and Saltfish when we enquired was told no customers do not like , however dumplings and calla loo and corn beef was regularly available along with very sweet Baked Beans , pancakes, hash browns . the lunch and dinner menu was very limited and didn't change the whole two weeks we were there and was exactly the same at legends. Where has all the entertainment and music gone they used to have reggae nights and BBQ on our last visit most people had dinner in there beach wear had a couple of drinks and then retired to bed .yes the restaurant at Samsara was very hot no AC however this used to be a really nice cartibean open air restaurant which people dressed for now it was just like a canteen, we guessed its probably been closed in due to hurricanes in the past but in 2014 AC is a must, Ciao Restaurant good was fantastic we ate there at least 4 times for dinner but again no atmosphere to keep you there and very hot, so we just ate and left, Good to see the addition of the splash pool and spa however if I had children with me they wouldn't have been in the pool as far too many loose and missing tiles very dangerous probably not helped by American guests putting lounges into the pool, not enough shade around the main pool , the girls on front desk very great especially Patricia , however we were not advised by our tour operated that we would need $100 deposit so an imprint was taken of our card and refunded on departure minus admin fee , A welcome drink would also have been appreciated on arrival . You need to make a few changes before we would return again , AC in every room as standard,and a safe, a fridge and Tea/Coffee facilities should also supplied along with a general update redecoration , I think these things are far more important in a hot country than flat screen TV. we feel that by going all inclusive this hotel has lost its charm as it seems to cater for the American guest and not international travelers .

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Claire, thanks so much for taking the time to post your review! We appreciate your return visit. In the past 16 years we certainly have been busy at Samsara, having renovated all our bathrooms and bedrooms, plus many other projects such as the splash pool, spa, lobby, and Ciao Jamaica restaurant. Glad you enjoyed your 4 meals at Ciao! Yes the palm trees have indeed grown over the years, they are a beautiful protected part of our lush seascape gardens. You may be interested to know that we have added some new Jamaican dishes to our menu. Thanks for your great suggestion! The girls at the front desk will be happy to know you appreciated their friendly professional service, especially Princess Patricia who is a real asset to our team. Rest assured your constructive comments and feedback help us to continually improve. Please keep in touch about our upcoming upgrades. We certainly look forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Thanks again for your visit! Irie!

Been to Samsara Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!