“A quiet, unique find in Jamaica!” 4 of 5 stars

Samsara Cliffs Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West End Rd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #43 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“A quiet, unique find in Jamaica!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I've been Ocho Rios, Jamaica about 20 years ago and never had any desire to return here until my child requested it as a destination! So, here I am, this time in Negril on the west end! What a different experience from the first time! This hotel is quiet, friendly and sime, just the way I like it! The hotel is worn out in many ways, lounge chairs broken, pool and hot tub in mild disrepair, air conditioners in many rooms don't work properly etc, but overall, if it's quiet, relaxation your seeking, this is the place! Bar closes at 10pm, no loud music all night, most everyone that stayed at this resort are return customers for years! Food is good, same menu every meal though so don't expect much variety! We did not do all inclusive simply because neither of us drink alcoholic beverages, but from what I've read and now experienced, there is enough variety within a few minutes of walking to keep one fed for cheap:) Water is availabe all day long in a rubbermaid cooler on the bar, bring a water bittle! My only wish was that the resort would iffer free coffee/tea all day long to all guests as there is not a coffee maker in the room:( Rooms are very simple, a little too simple for me, superior ocean view has a double and a single bed on wood platforms, double is a spring mattress, single is a foam, and pillows are on the hard side! Linen is clean, towels must be at a premium, we got two bath towels, a bath mat, and two face clothes every day, I would have at least liked a hand towel too! Our room had a fan and A/C, the fan was perfect for us but we did try the A/C one day too cool the room off for the evening and came back to a lake in our room....we were given towels and that was the last word so we didn't use AC again:( Showers have great water pressure, TP is less than 1ply I'm sure, soap bars turn to mush once used due to the humidity, I don't think a soap dish would even help this! The walk into town (Negril) is treacherous because you have to walk along a narrow, windy road and avoid getting in the way of cars, it's possible to do, you just have to be smart! A cab if caught on the road will cost you US$1-2, from the hotel expect to pay a flat rate of $5! In town there are plenty of food options for cheap if your willing to be adventurous;) For your basic needs if your not doing all inclusive, there is a small convenience store out the main lobby to your left and across the street, takes less than a minute to walk there!

Things to be sure you bring:
Beach towel or sarong
Insulated beverage cup
Water bottle

If your not all inclusive:
All of the above +
Cooler

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Lloydminster, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you had asked me within our first 3 days there, I would have recommended it. The 4th day, I was starting to get sick of it, and the 5th and 6th I could not wait to leave. The food is AWFUL. I am not a picky eater, and had seen the reviews saying the food wasn't great and thought they were just picky. THEY WEREN'T. The food was very repetitive, and by the last couple days we were there, we had paid for all inclusive but couldn't even stand to go there to eat. Very pretty location, however the water was way to rough to do anything all except for the one day we were there. The walk to go to Legends wasn't bad for distance, but the locals are BRUTAL. I expect to be hounded anywhere I go like that, but this was the worst. Never have I had people be so rude, for politely saying sorry, we aren't interested. I was called all kinds of volatile names for a few men there because I wasn't interested in what they were selling. I did hear from a few people though, that they purposely are rude to the woman to get a reaction from the man and proceed to jump and rob them. I found the security to be much better at the Samsara then the Legends.... I don't know if I went back, which one I would rather stay at. I would recommend if doing Jamaica, to do a couple nights in Negril and a couple at Montego Bay. We went to the Duns River Falls... They were quite nice, but about a 3 hour drive from Negril. If you are catching a cab, if you can get him (he works at the airport) his name is Conrad, and I HIGHLY recommend him!! He is what started and ended our trip well!! Overall, I wouldn't recommend it for more than a couple days, but if it was a short visit you would probably be happy for the money spent. And the common complaint that the beds are VERY hard is accurate.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was somewhat skeptical to visit Samsara upon reading the reviews-however, after staying at this resort - I am compelled to write a positive review...in effort to curb the negative ones.

In my opinion, I believe the negative reviews were a result of travellers not doing their due diligence to research their purchase in advance (i.e call the resort, ask questions) & truly understand the differences between a 5x versus 3x resort.

My husband and I have been to Jamaica 7 times and have been to 5x+ resorts previously.
Yes, there is an abundance of food choices, restaurants and varieties, entertainment, coffee maker in the room, beach towels, in room safe, in room stocked fridge etc, etc. In my experience far too much of superfluous tangibles that make one stressed (having to make dinner reservations, dress up), exhausted (travelling from 1 block to the next, back & forth) while having to justify the exceedingly cost of the trip. For example, our family trip to Beaches resort last year....a fantastic 5x resort but not what we wanted this time.

As for the 3x rating, let me clarify - this does not mean bug infestation, food poisoning, lack of security, etc.... in my experience, the rating has meant that the frivolous things (noted above) are not included and do not warrant having an awful time versus a GREAT time!

*****Samsara exceeded our expectations~! ***********
My husband & I travelled Jan 15 with an 8 month old & 6 year old. We arrived on a Tuesday (great day to travel with kids!) and visited for 1 week in Cottage #2 - great location in proximity to bar and main area!

- Family owned resort (30yrs!) originally from NYC; includes Samsara (cliff resort), Legends (beach resort on the infamous 7 mile beach) & Ciao Jamaica restaurant
- The owners are present and approachable
- Quaint resort (50 rooms)
- My daughter swam alongside the cliffs with her parents
- Daybeds are accessible and there is no cost
- 1 hour Swedish massage outside ($70 USD) request a RMT receipt for insurance reimbursement

Things we did/brought that made our vacation the BEST to accommodate our family situation:
- bring your own beach towels
- Kettle and instant coffee
- Mini boxed cereal, instant oatmeal
- dish soap, sponge, travel packet of laundry detergent
- Cutlery, knife, plates
- 1 med size tupperware, 3-5 large ziploc bags****great for storing extra fruit from b/fast buffet
- ****mini cooler bag (bartenders refilled upon request) especially if you need to chill baby food/milk-saved us $85+ to rent a fridge
- bug spray
- Life jacket
- Goggles, pool ball, sand toys
- 1st aid kit....just in case
- snacks (cripsers, pringles, raisin, handi snaks, tetra boxed juice)
- Cards, travel games (scrabble, my fav)
- request a crib

***If you require a/c, you need to request a room with it-otherwise; you will get a room with ceiling fan
***fridge; you will need to request this and there is a fee or approx $85 (we had anticipated getting one for baby's milk and food. Good news: we didn't have to as the cooler was perfect and the bar staff refilled whenever we asked

The week:
- visited "legends" resort 2x via free shuttle departs daily at 10am and returns at 4pm. If you want to leave before the shuttle, have the reception call you a taxi (approx. $8USD 1-way) The beach is gorgeous as is the water. Food is the same at Samsara. $7USD Hamburger & fries
Check out Xtabi and say "hello" to the parrots at that resort next door to Legends-beach access
- Even though we had planned to visit Beaches resort $250 USD for the day, we did not feel the need to as Legends on the same beach
- There is a convenience store across Samsara that we bought bottled water, Appleton & Red Stripe from. FYI- Happy Hour (buy 1 drink get 1 free) from 4-7; includes the virgin straw daiquiri/pina colada
- 1 Restaurant on resort located upstairs serves all 3 meals buffet-style $12-18USD/pp. We dined 2 night buffet. Otherwise, we ordered from Auntie P's menu (not part of all incl.- auth Jamaican cuisine ($7-9/dish...Yum)
- B’fast buffet is $12. Menu, 2 eggs, toast, coffee, juice $6/$7. Our daughter never has her own paid b/fast as she had the cereal we brought or we ordered her 1 egg and she snacked off our plates
- Restaurants/ food joints we visited: Juicy Patty, HiLo grocery store, 3 Dives, Bites & Sips, Ciao Jamaica, Push Cart, Ivan's (romantic) at Catcha Falling Star (make sure you request at front desk to have a driver pick you up- its Free. Same driver will bring you back and the is a fee-whatever you want ;) We gave him $10USD

Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
luvinlocs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Love my visit. My first trip was in 1999 and I have been coming there ever since. I love the fact that it is relaxing and tranquil. Although you can eat at the resort that is good. But you can walk just across the street to Pablo"s Restaurant. Just walk out the main entrance and turn to to your left, 500 feet look for the yellow and blue building.. Just pass the mini market.

Room Tip: Room with a view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We just got back from our annual stay at Samsara Cliffs Resort in Negril, Jamaica. We were pleasantly surprised and pleased with all the improvements they have done to the property.The entrance has been redone and is much grander than before. We had a new mattress to sleep on and the service is consistent to that of last year. We continue to consider Samsara our little piece of paradise every winter. Well done Samsara!!!

Sarah Noss.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Pillar House.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from another visit to Negril and Samsara. While we have many other options we could stay each time we come to Jamaica, we can't seem to stay anywhere else but Samsara. They have started to update the hotel and things are looking great. We liked it before and getting better each time. We know most everyone their from bartenders to staff. We got to know them and became friends. The owners are great as they try to accommodate their guests to the best of their abilities. Listen, you can't please everybody all the time and I feel bad for the bad things that happen to people from time to time. All I can say personally is nothing has happened to me and I go here at least twice a year. Samsara is a great choice for me until I buy a home here in Jamaica. Love y'all from Texas.

• Stayed January 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We just returned from a weeklong stay at the Samsara. It was a Great place to stay! All the staff are extremely friendly and pleasant and we quickly made friends with most of them. We met another traveler at the bar who was from our home city. Upon their checkout, they left a sweater behind in the room. The Staff at the Samsara were nice enough to contact us and ask if we would bring this sweater home with us to reunite with the other traveler. Most hotels and resorts would not do that for you! Especially internationally! We did not go the all inclusive option, but the prices at the bar and restaurant were pretty fair. They do not have an ice machine on site so if you plan on buying beer at the convenience store down the road, make sure to buy some ice too. The Samsara has a wonderful view and scenic cliffs that we were able to relax upon for hours. They are making improvements to the resort at this time, so please do not be discouraged by some of the negative reviews. There are places within walking distance so you don't always need a cab. Walking around on the cliff road at night could be tricky, as there aren't really any sidewalks up there, and not much light. The cars go pretty fast on the cliff road, so be careful, especially at night. If you need to exchange money, I don't recommend doing it at the Samsara. There is a fee for money conversion and if you are exchanging a larger amount of money the fee will add up. Also, they may run out of money to as Currency Conversion is obviously not their main business, merely a convenience that they offer. If they tell you the nearest money exchange is in the town square, it's not. We were able to find one that was closer up on the cliff road there, about halfway between the Samsara and Rick's, Maybe a 30 minute walk or so. It's in a shop that rents out scooters. No conversion fee there. All in all the Samsara was a great place to stay if you are staying up on the cliffs. Also, don't forget their daily shuttle to Legends on the beach. Its runs at 10am daily and saves you from having to pay for a cab to get down to the beach.

Room Tip: Get the Ocean View room! Great view! the little patio is great for just chilling out and watching th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Samsara Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!