“Special gem in Negril” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 91 hotels in Negril
Los Angeles, California
“Special gem in Negril”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

First off, I just want to say that most would not rate this as a 5 star luxurious hotel but what makes this hotel a 5 star to me is the staff and its owners Chris and Francine. It's true, they make you feel like you're apart of their family. From Henry our taxi driver to Michelle, our housekeeper, everyone, and I say everyone were friendly, hospitable and accommodating.
You don't have to travel far for authentic Jamaican food either. The restaurant makes pretty darn good Jamaican food and close to the take-out spots I've tried outside the property. Also, take advantage of their "One Love" reggae concert on Saturday night that includes and all-you-can eat buffet. For $30 its an awesome deal.
When I come back to Negril, I have no hesitation in coming back to stay at Seastar!

• Stayed June 2013

224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Got this hotel stay on Living Social. The best deal ever for what you get out of it!! Traveled w two other ladies and stayed in rooms 1 & 2, both upstairs and close to the front desk. We loved everything about this place. I have zero complaints (save the water pressure would dip in and out in the shower in room 2).
The staff is extremely attentive and see to it personally that you have what you need. From the moment we checked in w felt like family. Learned the local lingo from Randy & Stringbean daily while at HH.
Here's the meat of it:
The room: very spacious, vaulted ceilings, ceiling fan, nice sized bathroom, balcony w hammock and two comfy beds. There is a small fridge you can keep drinks and left over food in and a nice size sink for washing off the mangos the staff will gladly knock down from the trees for you :) Room was all tile on the floors so bring some slippers and it was air conditioned, which we only really used at night if the fan wasn't enough. Their are geckos and other lizards all around so don't leave the door open and you'll be fine.
The grounds: beautifully maintained and gardened daily and provide a jungle like back drop to this amazing little gem tucked away off the main road. The Reggae show, which they take personal pride in, was off the chain!!! The food was AMAZING, the singing was AMAZING (they sell CDs for $10), the drum circle and dancers phenomenal, and w Randy behind the bar, ALL of your drinks are nice and stiff. Tip the bartender often to find out first hand what I mean :) The pool is where we spent most of our time if not at Seven Mile beach (just a short & free shuttle ride away) has a swim up bar and Miss Barbara or Clara are at the bar helping you out. The staff does a good job rotating positions at the hotel, but all are equally friendly, attentive and genuinely glad to see you everyday. The breakfast is ok. I'm a fruit person and there was no fruit readily available. Mostly bread and other carbs :) Also it's worth noting that we missed lobster season so we couldn't indulge in any of the amazing lobster dishes on the menu :( the porage was not my fave but only because its sweet and consuming sweets in the morning it's no bueno for me. The company you keep at breakfast makes all the difference as well. Between our party and the others we befriended almost immediately, we tried the burger, Rasta pasta, conch fish, jerk chicken, & pizza. The pizza and burger are soooo good. The conch fish was my favorite though. The Rasta pasta is spicey so be warned. Speaking of spicey, don't leave this hotel without purchasing some of Francines hot sauce. It'll change your life :) Also, peas and rice as its referenced on the menu is not what it sounds like. It's basically just red beans and rice and super good.
They keep a security guard at the front gate 24 hours so never once did we feel unsafe. Taxis into town are available, but bring people w you because it can get pricey w just two or three people. Jamaica as a whole was expensive. Like HI, everything is imported and its a free market there so your converter will honestly do you know good. We were told when we arrived (because we inquired) that an uppity American attitude will not be received well by locals when out and about so be respectful and show the one love vibe the locals give off right back at them and you are received well!!! Pass on the flea market (tented area w numerous vendors) it's a rip off. Just go to Timesquare for souveneiers instead :)
I absolutely adored this vacation. It was the epitome of relaxation, which I owe entirely to Seastar's staff and the atmosphere of Jamaica as a whole. We will definitely be back and highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Bayonne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I seen this hotel on Living Social and I'm glad I did. This hotel has to be one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The staff is amazing, they make it feel like you are part of their family the way they learn your name instantly. Everyone is always friendly! They have a bunch of repeat customers which speaks for itself. The owner Chris is a great guy. The things he did for some people in the neighborhood is truly inspiring. If you do stay here make sure you hang out or atleast talk to Shakey. One of the nicest people you will ever meet. He loves French fries and coca cola! I highly recommend this hotel. The pool is great the food is great and the beer is ice cold! Can't wait to come back! This hotel has found itself another set of repeat customers!

• Stayed May 2013
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Over a year ago my husband and I had planned to return to Seastar for 3 weeks as a special treat for his 60th Birthday. My sister and her boyfriend (Jamaican born) would join us for 2 of those weeks along with my husband's sister and her husband.
A few months before vacation, I mentioned to my sister that if she wanted to consider getting married while in Jamaica - Seastar would fit the bill. Before you knew it, there was a proposal and the wedding plans were on! A few more folks signed up for the trip and another 16 folks from the States would be joining the blessed day.
Chris, the owner arranged the details as was requested by my sister to the absolute "T" - he took care of the Minister - the bouquet - the paperwork - setting up - and special request for authentic Jamaican buffet. The delicious buffet included curried goat - jerk chicken - red snapper and all that went with it.
My husband arranged to hire the local Saturday night entertainment staff, to provide us with live music after dinner.
The staff did such a wonderful job of setting up the decorations and ensuring that color themes as requested, were adhered to.
Since it was Valentines Day there was extra love in the air from all around.
Special thanks to the Seastar family for making a dream come true!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights in mid-may. The hotel is nicely kept and worked by some of the most friendly, homey people I have met. From the minute we arrived, I could tell the right place had been selected. Every day was filled with marvelous conversation not only by the staff but guest as well. The room was nicely decorated and spacious. The hammocks might be my favorite part! Add in excellently prepared food and you have the perfect combination for a wonderful trip!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Troy, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is my second review of the Seastar Inn. April 2013 was my fourth stay there. This review is based on my experience as a solo traveler.

I have put some thought into why I have been back to Seastar for four trips in a row now. There are least several other great hotels in Negril that are well reviewed, but for me...Seastar is home. When I stay in the West End..it's Seastar, hands down.

There is no guessing at Seastar. The consistency and quality is the best I have experienced in 12 trips to the island. You will be satisfied each and every time.

Chris is the owner and he and the staff have a way of making sure guests are taken care of. Clarol, Barbara, Rochelle, and Rambo...as well as the bartenders Randy and Alvin, are simply great people who genuinely care about your visit. Okema is always wearing a smile and even the staff that I have not interacted with much are friendly and accommodating. Garret, the caretaker, is a guy Friday for the place and he helped me out with a scooter issue that would have otherwise been a nightmare. If you are looking for a spot where you can really settle in and relax...this is the place. The staff will take care of you and make sure you have a good time.

If it is your first trip and you don't know the area...the answer to how to get somewhere is just a question away...I've seen Chris give guests rides to the beach and to the ATM in his personal car, or arrange for the Seastar van to bring a party of 5-6 to The Jungle nightclub. I bumped into the Seastar's security guard, Rambo, off the resort and he stopped to have a chat. I asked and he gave me advice on where to go and what to do.

After one stay you will understand what I mean...and you will be back...it's THAT good.

The sense of security and comfort is coupled with huge, clean rooms, great food, an unmatched pool area and bar, and easy walking distance to the stunning views of the cliffs and Rick's bar. If you are looking for amenities similar to what you would expect in American or Canadian hotels...this is the place for you.

I love Seastar and it would be difficult to go to Negril and stay elsewhere on the cliffs. I'd miss "my home away from home" too much. Feel free to email me specific questions.

Insider tips: 1. the fish fingers are my new favorite menu item. 2. If you order a pizza and don't finish it, you can ask the bartender to keep it in the kitchen and they will warm it up for you later. 3. Barbara, at the bar most days, makes a KILLER dirty banana. 4. The jerk pork is great but it is almost TOO BIG to eat alone! 5. The free beach shuttle leaves at 11 am and will pick you up at 4 pm anywhere you want. Tipping the driver is courteous. 5. A good beach that is annoyance (higgler) free is Boardwalk Beach. I have taken my kids there as well as a friend and her 2-year old child and it is safe, and clean, with a nice bar right next to the water.

Room Tip: Room 17 is awesome, and I like Room 16 too when I am seeking lots of privacy. The safes in rooms 17...