“Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Let me start off by saying, I love this place! I recently spent 5 days and 4 nights here and my stay was absolutely amazing. The Seastar is set in a wonderful, quiet location that's perfect for anyone who wants to visit Jamaica but not fill entrapped by the large, sometimes loud, tourist centered resorts. The hotel is perfectly priced with HUGE rooms that are decorated with very charming decor! Another special aspect of each room is the outside hammock on the nicely designed balcony/porch area. I was honored to stay in one of the new rooms they've recently opened up and I loved it; the room was gorgeous! The property is well secured behind an always closed and well watched gated area and the grounds are beautifully and meticulously groomed. The property could truly grace the front of a postcard and what a beautiful picture that would make! In addition to the beauty of the rooms and property, the staff is just as wonderful. The owners Chris and Francine and their amazing staff: Rochelle, Barbara, Henry, Samantha, Alvin and others are a shining example of class, customer service and kindness on every hand. During my stay I felt like more than just a guest, they really make you feel like a family member or a special friend that's visiting their home personally. They give each guest so much attention and care, that by the end of your time there you're spoiled, I know I was! In fact, I'm already looking at my busy work schedule to see if I can come back in the next few months for another few days of rest and relaxation. This place has become my "get away from it all" retreat for sure. I travel a lot all throughout the states and I'm very picky when it comes to hotels, 5 star establishments are my lodging of choice. I said all that to say I'm very well versed when it comes to hotels and I can tell you with thunderous applause that the Seastar is one of the best! Here's a rundown: they’re the best in beauty, the best in the food that serve, the best in customer service, the best in large, well groomed, quiet, nicely decorated rooms, the best in pricing, the best in making you feel safe and secure and the best in doing all they can to ensure that your vacation is one to remember. If you're thinking of visiting Jamaica and you're staying in Negril, book the Seastar for your stay, you'll love it, love it, love it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

You know when you read reviews, and you are like...this is too good to be true? Not the case with Seastar. Photos don't do the property justice, the rooms are very clean and big. Everyone is very helpful. We were possibly the youngest couple there, but to be honest we were the weakest partiers - everyone had great energy ;) A lot of the guests are veterans to the island and have great tips for what to see/eat/do. I would suggest having some more menu options - maybe a daily special? After a week we had covered most of the menu and had to look elsewhere to get some variety. Ahhhbees down the street is amazing by the way. Walking around at night was a bit unsettling as people still try to approach you to sell assorted items, luckily Seastar has great neighbors like Wayne to make sure you get home safely. Henry and Junior are excellent drivers and made getting around the island a breeze. I will say the owners did not talk to us at all which was surprising. Everyone else was extremely friendly. Oh and Saturday night is happening! Be sure to reserve a table! You'll feel VIP by having a room there that night. Folks come from all over to see the show. Room 18 was awesome. Oh and we need 3oz bottles of the hot pepper sauce for folks who don't check luggage ;)

Room Tip: Room 18 is upstairs in the new section. It has a great view from the balcony and you can see the poo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 9 nights. We came here on a personal recommendation backed up
with many positive reviews on this site. Most things are all true. Here is more detail for all
you researchers:
The owners are Canadian/Jamaican so you get business savvy people that come with
a full understanding of the needs of western travelers and can add a true Jamaican flare to your
stay.
The business model is excellent. Give the guests a good, spacious,comfortable clean room with all the
ammenities of home to make it feel like a "home away from home"
With only 20 rooms that gives the owners and staff to virtually make eveybody feel that
way and the "vibe" that is talked about so often.
So, yes everybody is friendly and helpful etc.
The food menu is created in such a way to satisfy what westerners are used to with a Jamaican twist. Its all good and acceptable and generous portions to boot. We ate here every second day
and tried all surrounding restaurants being so many of them and enjoyed that experience.
Happy hour is a gift. 2 for one beers and basic drinks and very tasty chicken wings. (I like them better with no batter)
Further, the owners have bottled their own homemade jerk/pepper sauce....excellent!
With only 20 rooms you may ask which one is the best?
If you want quiet and privacy rooms number 8 ,9,10 and 11 are all at the very back of the garden and are furthest from the bar area.
Rooms 17,18,19 and 20 are the new section and comes with the benefit of newer mattresses, ,flat screen tv's etc. Nicely laid out with a fountain in front of your balcony.
17 and 18 are right next to the pool however and takes some of the privacy away.
Expect a very LOUD saturday night. As that is reggae night with musicians bongo drums, singers etc. Its a great act and comes with a buffet all for $20. Its a no brainer to do this at least once.
The novelty wears off I discovered from repeat visitors as its pretty much the same act year round.
I would suggest to the owners to switch it up a bit. there is always good talent around.
The grounds are very botanical. and its nice just to sit on your own balcony and enjoy the birds chirping.
So all in all for what you pay this exceeds my value equation...price, quality, cleanliness, service
its all here........free internet too!
This is what is not here:
NO ocean view. The property is inland. Its a good 300 yards to the main road and you can
visit some of the neigbouring resorts and spend half a day there should you wish to.
OR..take the free daily shuttle to the beach.
NO super premium liquors as 18-30 year scotch, high end tequilas, wines, etc.
NO phones in the room. You can rent a mobile phone for $10 a day. Unlimited international calls to boot! bonus!
NO inclusive hot breakfast. Just continental.
All of this comes at a price of $79 per night on average.
I find that a lot of people book months in advance even up to one year. So if you are seriously considering booking here , book early for Dec,Jan Feb Mar..
Other reviews incicate that people come in small ot large groups here.....this is true . So expect to
be subjected to a few cliques....They interact regualry and more intensely with each other ignoring newcomers leaving them to feel "ostracized" This was my observation and could be
mainly due to the part that many people who come here smoke cannabis regularly. And by that I mean morning, afternoon, evening....all day everywhere. So if you are a non smoker/toker this may not be
your cup of tea. Also if you have toddlers or small children....I would venture to say that this
is mainly an "all adult" environment.
Security is excellent. There are safes in the rooms as well.
Be prepared to hear barking dogs at night. Its all over Jamaica. Get used to it.
Congratulations to Chris and Francine on all their success here!
Also on the news of their first baby coming in March!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a deal! Really good buffet dinner and an amazing show - all for $20 + drinks.

Our group of 22 people had a blast and I will remember the Seastar Drummers & dancers forever. What an excellent place to go on a Saturday night. I will definitely return next time I am in Negril. So much fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the Seastar with 16 other couples in part to celebrate my 50th Birthday in December 2012. We had an excellent time! We were treated very well by Chris and Francine, the Owners and their staff were very accomodating and friendly! The food was awesome! We ate most meals at the Seastar and each meal was very good and we felt reasonably priced! We were fortunate to see local favorite reggae band Luciano as part of their Reggae party on the saturday night along with many other performers that got us all up dancing! It was my husband's and I first time travelling to Negril, Jamaica and some of our friends as well. But for those of us had been before they also thought the Seastar would be a destination that is well worth returning to in the future. You really are treated like family! Also on my 50th Birthday celebration night they put on a great smorg and a lovely Birthday cake for me and my friends. I highly recommend the Seastar to anyone looking for a laid back more personal vacation experience in Negril. Thank you Seastar Inn!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed at the Seastar Inn for 4 nights as part of a 13-night stay in Negril. I spent the other 9 nights at 2 beach hotels. There is a different vibe at Seastar since it's in-land (dare I say more laid back than the beach?!). The staff at the Seastar are very friendly, especially Clarol, Barbara, Alvin and Rochelle. The food is fantastic and the meal prices are low. The Saturday night show and buffet is a must-see for anyone heading to Negril-- the buffet is yummy and plentiful and the music is varied and a lot of fun. I stayed in one of the new rooms and it was spotless. For me, the best part of the room is the hammock on the patio/balcony. I spent many hours just relaxing and letting the world float away in my hammock! The pool is refreshing and the hotel is small, so you will likely find yourself among new friends in no time at all. I will return to Negril and, once again, split my time in order to enjoy the best of both worlds. The only downside I noticed is that the walls are thin so you can hear neighbors t.v.s and dogs barking outside. But considering the excellent price and the friendly staff, the trade-off is worth it. I also liked that the rooms have windows that are plenty big. The other two hotels I stayed at had very little natural light and were too dark for my liking-- not the Seastar! Wifi is strong in the restaurant and near the pool. I recommend Seastar for its great price, friendly staff and laid back vibe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Troy, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have stayed at Seastar Inn several times, my most recent stay was over the Christmas holiday 2012. I stayed with my 18-year-old and 17-year-old sons. As a single parent, I was concerned that they might get bored as this was their first trip to the island and they are very attached to their friends at home. Boredom was far from the case. The resort was active with other families staying there and we found ourselves taking the free shuttle to the beach as a group most days. The staff was great to my sons and within a day it felt very comfortable to let the kids do their own thing around the resort.

The pool was pristine, the game room was fully functional, the free Internet always worked, and the food was incredible, as usual. Order anything off the menu and you'll be glad you did. The free continental breakfast with bagels, coffee, and muffins also saved me quite a few bucks over the course of our 9-day stay.

For me, there is no better value or service in Negril than Seastar Inn. The Seastar crew is more of a family than a "staff." The quality and comfort of this resort cannot be overstated.

You will love a stay here. -Brasi Hyatt

Room Tip: Insider tips: In my opinion, the coolest room is Room 16, but rooms 17, 18, 19, and 20 are closest t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Seastar Inn? Share your experiences!