“A relaxing place to stay and experience the real Jamaica” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lost Beach Resort
You added Lost Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hope Wharf, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #69 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Chicago
“A relaxing place to stay and experience the real Jamaica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. It was during the during the middle of our trip to Jamaica. We stayed two nights before in Negril at For Real Resort (great place). The final four nights of our trip would be in Montego Bay, which we knew would be completely the opposite of Lost Beach Resort. This place is perfect as an oasis of calm in the midst of a Jamaican vacation where most of the time you are looked at as a $ sign and silly tourist. Lost Beach is a great place to stay, just don't make it your only place to stay in Jamaica. You'll want to experience some of the other craziness too.

We were two of only five guests there at the time, which suited us just fine. We really felt like we had the place to ourselves. In fact, we were only two of five guests in total that were staying there. I guess they are usually booked solid this time of year. But because of website problems, they were almost completely empty. It would of maybe been nice to have some other guests to mingle with, but the seclusion was what we were looking for. Besides, after Lost Beach we were heading to Montego Bay and knew that the intensity would increase there, whether we wanted it to or not.

Lost Beach is NOT a place to go if you are looking for an all-inclusive experience or want to party at Margaritaville everynight. You are basically staying at an off the beaten path (relatively speaking), cozy, husband and wife owned (really nice people), beach front resort in a genuine Jamaican fishing village.

Our room was large and very clean, quiet too. It had an awesome beachfront view perfect for the sunrise. We booked the honeymoon suite which was a good deal for the money. We had fires on the beach at night in front of our room. Very cool.

There are also some resident dogs that are very friendly and eager to be your friend. We love animals so we didn't mind at all. However, if that's not your thing the staff will make sure they leave you alone. The resident dogs are treated well, but some of the other stray dogs are not as lucky. Though they are all very friendly (painfully so), they are also very malnourished and it's sorta heart-wrenching to see. If you have any leftover food, walk over to the far end of the resort and give it to the super-skinny dogs over there. They are so cute and nice, but they're owner left them. Though the three resident dogs look skinny too, they are actually well fed and looked after. Give it to the others! Sorry for drifting off there...we're animal lovers.

Speaking of food....it's really good at the resort restaurant. Actually, I think it may be superb. The menu changes every night and it's usually some new fresh seafood dish recently caught in the village. Excellent and very delicious. One of the highlights for sure...

The best part of our whole Jamaican vacation was when we borrowed the bikes from the resort (they charged us for them, though we thought they were just letting us use them. oh well...) and went riding into the village. It's completely safe and the people there are super nice and friendly. We randomly met an older rasta whom we started chatting with and quickly became friends with him and the rest of his family. We hung out, they cooked for us, we listened to music together...he took us for a long walk through the fields to special places only a rasta would know of...it was great. We felt like we experienced the REAL Jamaica. In fact, we exchanged phone numbers and plan on coming back in the future to visit them. He actually called me the other day to say "hello" to me and my wife. Very nice indeed.

By the way, don't let anyone scare you into believing that Jamaica is some super-dangerous country. 99.9% of the people here are very, very friendly and accommodating. My friends that stay at all-inclusives are missing out on 99.9% of Jamaica. No Joke. Get out there and mingle with the locals and don't be afraid to make new friends.

You WILL get bitten by beach bugs (bring repellent!), but in the REAL Jamaica that's what happens (and anywhere else in the developing world, for that matter.) This only really happens at dawn and dusk for a few hours and then it's quite biting-bug free. Nothing to be grossed out about though.

It also would have been nice for someone to pick up some of the beach trash on the far sides of the resort. In such a beautiful place you'd think someone would do that. When you go for a walk on the beach away from the immediate resort area there can be some litter. It's nothing too bad, but it does spoil the setting just a little bit. Anyway...

Lost Beach is located in a real Jamaican village, not a tourist area. It is best enjoyed by those looking for peace and quiet in a more nature oriented setting, without all the peddlers and hustlers lurking about. You can have fires on the beach too! Ride a bike around the village and make new friends in far-away places. If you make Lost Beach a stop on a longer Jamaican tour, you will definitely feel like you experienced Jamaica to the fullest. Lost Beach and it's surroundings were the highlight of our trip and we'll be back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

Loved our stay at this out-of-the-way destination! No crowds, no beggers, and absolutely untouched beauty!
We went as a large group--perfect place for this!
The people were GREAT!
Never liked Jamaica before we came to this place!

Stayed April 2008
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

My family and I spent 12 days at Lost Beach Resort last summer and had a wonderful time. The location is absolutely gorgeous and we really appreciated the fact that it is off the beaten path. Our previous trips to JA had been to Negril so the peace and quiet was a wonderful change. As well the location enabled us to visit Sav La Mar market and Negril as well as Whitehouse and Black River without having to spend a lot of time inside a vehicle.

We had a 2 bedroom unit with a kitchen so we could make meals or choose to go to the restaurant where the service was great and the food varied and delicious.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, suggesting places we might visit . In addition being in the countryside and walking to the local vendor stalls, we met many of the resorts neighbors so got a real flavour of the countryside.

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Lost Beach Resort and would recommend it to anyone travelling to Jamaica

• Liked — The helpful, friendly staff, the beach, the location
  • Disliked — The no-seeums
  • Stayed July 2007
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

If you feel you've never had a real vacation, then you haven't been to Lost Beach! It is a hidden paradise! Everyone there is extremely nice, and willing to get you anything you need. No problems. LOL Me, my family, and friend have gone for the past 6 years for someones birthday or New Years, and every year is better than the last. Beach BBQ's, bonfires, and private dinner parties on the veranda. I love it! My #1 things i love about Lost Beach, the privacy, the beautiful view right outside my door (absolute best), and the wonderful staff. I will be returning to Lost Beach soon. So if you plan on going (which i highly suggest), you'll probley see me on the beach outside my room swinging in the hammock, sippen on my rum punch, listening to the ocean!

• Liked — Privacy, and the pool
  • Disliked — Too far from city sometimes, but seclusion was still real nice.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

Wow! What an AMAZING place! Having stayed at a typical resort, and having stayed at Lost Beach, I would recommend if you REALLY want to see Jamaica to run as fast as you can from the mo-bay strip and head on down past the cross-roads to Lost Beach.
The neighborhood was great, as I never felt uncomfortable walking around, even late at night, and everyone was very friendly. The food at the restaurant was delicious, the staff was very kind and courteous.
Unfortunately there was a pool pump malfunction while we were there, but we had so much fun swimming in the ocean that it didn't matter in the LEAST.
It was a life-changing trip in many ways, and a lot of those changes would not have been made without the many long conversations had over the week with staff and neighbors alike.
To me it isn't a question of IF I'll come back to Lost Beach, it's just a matter of how soon!

Our of our entire group, everyone had a wonderful experience and got to see exactly what they wanted. Some came to just kick back and enjoy the beach, others to explore the island and the culture a little more, but everyone came back with smiles galore and stories, stories, stories.

To summarize: If you felt, for even a moment, the peace and serenity that Lost Beach has to offer you wouldn't think twice about booking for the week.

There are lots of places to stay in Jamaica, but not one of them had the vibe or ambiance of Lost Beach. As a matter of fact, the last two days we stayed elsewhere on the island and all I could think about was how I wished I had just booked the entire trip at Lost Beach. It's THAT great of a place.

My hat is off to the entire Lost Beach crew.

• Liked — The people, the people, the people.
  • Disliked — The showers fluctuated a little temperature wise...
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PHILADELPHIA, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

I am writing to let you know what a wonderful time I had at Lost Beach. The staff, Jennifer, Hedi, Seption & Lisa were especially wonderful and made my stay enjoyable. My drivers were extremely helpful and made me feel so comfortable. My room was lovely and the fresh flowers were marvelous; I was delighted with fine service, excellent food and other amenities-all located in a beautiful peaceful setting. My trip will be one that I will fondly remember for a long time. I look forward to returning in November, before I even left I knew I would be back I just have to make the necessary arrangements and will be reserving asap. This was my
first trip to Jamaica and the only problem I had was what took me so long to find Lost Beach which I will call from now on Found Beach The reviews I saw on the place did not prepare me for such a fabulous time, I did not want to leave. I have traveled to a lot of places mainly in the Caribbean, but now I have found home. Thank you and thank you wonderful staff.

• Stayed April 2007
minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

Stayed one week at Lost Beach Resort, couldn't wait to leave.
The rooms were dirty and entirely not what we expected.
The original description, (they've changed their description since our visit, with our complaints) was supposed to be 3 bedrooms, which turned out to be 2 bedrooms and a open loft with a ladder.
The shower trickles hot and cold. The apartments are just old and in need of repairs and replacement furniture. Air conditioner doesn't work, screens have holes (lots of bugs).
The staff is wonderful. The resort itself is nice. Pool is very nice.
Very secluded as the ad says. There were only a few other guests besides ourselves there all week, which was nice.
If you do decide to stay at Lost Beach, bring lots of bug spray.
If you want luxury, find another place.
One last word of advice, find your own transportation from the airport to the resort, the driver they sent was drinking beer and smoking gunji (pot) on the way. Quite a frightening experience riding through the mountains with him.

Stayed March 2008

Been to Lost Beach Resort? Share your experiences!