“Great Choice if you are on a budget!” 4 of 5 stars

Mariners Negril Beach Club
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #72 of 90 Hotels in Negril
canada
“Great Choice if you are on a budget!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

Got a great deal thru travelocity for the garden view rooms for $50 a night. Stayed in 2 different rooms. Both had 2 double beds, mini fridge, full satellite tv (one even had a microwave). The front desk staff and cleaning staff were very friendly. The location is great on the beach side and in walking distance to town. Fatties (set back across the street) has amazing jamaican food and its really cheap! My kids loved the pool-although it is small and not very clear. The beach is very nice-not rocky at all you dont need water shoes. We were in the rooms that face the road and they had a balcony. Although they are all attached to the other room's balconies with low walls so not much privacy. The property is older but if you are looking for a great value budget hotel-this place is great!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

If you book for Negril Beach Club Condo through Orbitz, you are really getting Mariner's hotel. Book directly thru Mariners. It is common to get a regular room when you have booked a Studio. We got upgraded to a 1 bedroom because of it. The Studios are the only ones that seem to be air tight and don't let all the A/C out thru ill-fitting doors and louvres. The A/C uses a remote control and no one explains how to operate it. We nearly died from the heat before we figured out that it has to be set at "auto" and not "high fan". Building "E" is right on the main road and there is traffic noise all night long. If you aren't used to road noise, get in building A, B, H or J. The staff is wonderful. Security is great. Every night a guard would fall into step with us and saw us to the stairs to our room. It is gated at the front. There is a lifeguard at the beach and he watches everyone very closely. Lingah By The Sea is on the beach of the hotel grounds and is the greatest restaurant and has best prices.. lobster dinner for $18. All the food is to die for and great prices. Use "Talk of the Town" for transportation to and from the airport and get a free cell phone. We got 16 hrs of international calls and 100 minutes of local time. Sienna is great as a guide because she is from CA and explains the difference in the culture from the USA and Jamaica. She has been there for a decade. Book her tour for your first day there. Hi-Low Grocery is the place to shop if you have the kitchen with your room. Times Square is close by and go in the back entrance and go to the third shop on the left for the best prices... 8 T-shirts for $20. Go to the beach behind the hotel and go left. You will come to the Craft Market. All the prices seem to be the same in each shop so check out everything before you buy. Be polite and explain that you want to walk through before you buy and they won't pressure you so much. I got $20 dresses for $15 by bargaining with them. On the hotel property go to the beach and look to the right. There is a beach hut place. Their prices are very good and very close... dresses were $20. They will come down a couple of dollars on things. If you want to go on a short drive, ask for Terry at the front gate or ask one of the security guards, especially Beverly. Terry is a very friendly young man and we felt very safe with him. We were a little leery of some of the taxi drivers but I am sure they were fine. Talk of the Town tour took us to the West End and all around Negril. Sienna also took us to the grcoery store to stock up on supplies for our room. She is aboslutely the greatest and we just love her. Lingah By The Sea has a buffet on Friday nights with live music for $15 a person and all you can eat. Their bread pudding and cheese cake are to die for! There is a bar there, also. Mariner's has a hot tub and a swimming pool but we prefered the ocean. Have your supper at Lingah's and watch the sun set. It was breath taking. Jamaicans don't cook your food until you order it so expect to spend anywhere from an hour to an hour and half from start to finish of your meals and that is anywhere you go there. I don't recommend renting a car unless you are used to the area. They drive on the left and the roads are not very good plus you have to dodge the goats and dogs sleeping on the road. A trip to Rick's Cafe is a must. They are only open in the evenings and are extremely crowded but at least stay long enough to watch a few divers. You won't regret it. We heard that Fatty's across the street from Mariner's was outstanding for fried chicken but we liked Lingah's Jerk Chicken so much that we didn't get a chance to try Fatty's. People start approaching you at the airport and everywhere else you go to sell you Pot. Be polite and just tell them, "No thank you." If you are polite and friendly to them, they are polite and friendly back to you. They are just trying to make a living in hard times so remember that when telling them that you don't want any. People will come up to you and act like they met you yesterday on the beach but they are just trying to make contact to sell you Pot. If you are polite, they will leave you alone. Everyone in Negril was extremely friendly and helpful. I wasn't thrilled with Montego Bay. The children are very aggressive in Montego Bay and one even reached in the van and hit me when I wouldn't give him money. We didn't find anything at all like that in Negril. The children were all very well behaved and all the natives were wonderful to us. If you have a sensative bottom, take your own Charmen with you. The king size bed in the 1 bedroom was so hard, I checked to make sure it was not make out of plywood. The couches were very comfotable but the pull out beds let you feel every spring in the mattress. The 1 bedroom came with HBO, SHO, Lifetime, WGN and many American cable channels if you have kids with you, that is great. It even had several cartoon channels. There is not coffee maker in the rooms but we had a hot water container that heat quickly for instant coffee. There was a microwave, hot plate and full refrigerator in the 1 bedroom. the regular rooms only had a mini-fridge and only a few TV stations. We really loved it in Negril and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

i stayed here with a few family members only so they could visit the water park and have some fun . . Never again . This hotel was really cheap ..it surpasses the definition of no frills . Things were falling apart . the kids enjoyed themselves i guess thats all that matters in this scenario .

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Derby, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights - I had booked a studio unit so that we could have a kitchen. When we arrived, we were told that they were really full, so they were putting us in one unit the 1st night, then would move us. I would have preferred not to move with only 3 nights - BUT - The unit they put us in was actually the LR of a one bedroom condo with a bed thrown into it - if you rolled on the bed one way you landed on the couch, the other way into the kitchen! Plus, they had rented the br out as a hotel room, so we were relaxing on the porch, enjoying the dusk, only to have a bunch of drunk guys walk up and flip the lights - they shared our porch!

The next morning I went to the desk and asked to be moved - Unfortunately, I didn't get the name of this staff person, but she was not pleasant to deal with - tried to argue with me and put us in a hotel room, not a studio - I had to search out my printed reservation (always bring two copies) to prove to her that I had a studio. When we were moved, the room was nice - not fancy, but large, clean, and comfy. The AC did leak, but that was our only complaint.

Overall, I love the location here - great spot, nice big beach, and most of the staff are very friendly. My friends were in another studio unit at the same time -= they had stayed in the same unit in March, and it had been completely redone since then - new tile, etc... So, renovations are being made, and I will continue to stay here - for the price, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Tx.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I am going to be totally honest in my review.

I booked my trip through ORBITZ which says that you will stay at Negril Beach Club Condos. The truth is you will not. I booked the basic room and only hoped for an upgrade when I got there. Upon getting to the hotel after a long day of traveling, I was thinking I would be complaining at the front desk for something better. I was TOTALLY wrong. My check in took less than 10 minutes. My room was ready, and very clean. It is a bit run down and don't expect upgrades. The wiring is mostly outside the wall. Make sure to keep the balcony door shut to avoid water on the tiles that you walk on. Our air conditioner leaked the second day but I think it was becuase we fell asleep with the door open. So needless to say, if we feel asleep with the door open, you will feel very very safe there. I have been to Jamaica 6 times now, and it's the safest that I have felt. You will see locals on property but they are all family that work on property. All are very sweet and helpful.

Rooms are VERY basic so please don't expect much when booking. I knew I couldn't complain when my 3 night stay in the hotel added up to a whopping $81.00 FOR 3 NIGHTS... So for me it was totally worth it.

So here I go.. I will now break it down:

If you are picky about rooms, color, etc.. upgrade. We were barely in our room so basic was perfect.

The mini mart on property is nice, has all that you will need and is like a 7-11 or convienent store. It will have your basics. The grocery store took us 7 minutes to walk to and is a little cheaper but not much. You wil be able to buy fresh fish, cheeses, etc there.

There is 2 gift shops on property. One on the beach and one near the front desk. I never went into either of them but they both looked nice and from what I saw in prices very reasonable.

The Restaurant on property is owned by someone other tha the owner of the hotel. We ate there for lunch and it was very good. The service was nice, professional, and soothing. Not to mention it's on the beach.

Are you thinking All Inclusive vs this..... DO THIS.... WHY???

There are tons of places to eat and visit on the street and on the beach at a walking distance. The food was reasonable everywhere we went. Some great places are:

Juicy J's
Fish was $750 JMD
Grilled Shimp Fett. Alfredo $1000 JMD
Basically $7.- $10. per person

Pizza ( SunsriseHotel)
$12.00 each and pretty nice size. Nice bar, and great service. All pizza's are brick oven style pizzas.

Local place across the street: SUPER CHEAP... $5.00 for fried fish, rice, veggies, and dumplings and very fresh. You can't pass this place by. Don't know the name but will provide a picture.

Lastly there is Sunset on the Beach. It has the best Red Stripe Fried Fish w/ wild rice and veggies. $12.00 a plate and right on the beach. It's AMAZING.

You will love this place if you are there to relax. It's quiet, cheap, and worth going for.
ENJOY!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

I was there last week had a greattime. Olga was the front desk person when I checked in she was the best. Vita the maid big up!!!!!!!!. I didnt catch the names of the bar staff but they were all cool. I couldnt have had a better time. Oh hello to Mr. Sam and his wife.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 1 week in the beginning of March, I was a little wary because of some reviews I read but was pleasantly surprised. No, it's not a five star with all the luxuries of home but hopefully when you're on vacation you'd be too busy exploring and having fun rather than whining about the style of your room. The staff were all helpful and friendly and although the rooms were dated they were clean and quite satisfactory.
The only thing I could suggest would be to re-vamp the pool area, it was very uninviting. not that I cared much with such a beautiful beach at my doorstep but I can see why people are put-off by this area. If it was remodeled there would be great potential for midnight pool parties which could bring the bar sales up quite a bit. oh yeah...the hotel bar closes quite early.
A traveling tip to anyone staying there.....bring as much food as you can in your bags...nuts, bread, cereal, chips.....the food at the grocery store is very expensive!
Also...be good to the decent hard workers on the beach....they are very poor and could use our help. There is a man who sets up a table near the vollyball net who handmakes some lovely, unique jewelry worth taking a look at!
This hotel is not for the rich, spoiled type but it's a very acceptable place to crash for the night if you're not the picky type.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends