“Authentic” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Marietta, Georgia
“Authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This was our honeymoon and our first purchase for travel through Groupon. Needless to say, we were nervous! We read all the fine print and reviewed the Legends and Samsara website in depth. We had a wonderful time, but we are also the type of people to roll with the punches and make a fun time out of anything. We are not high maintenance, though I could have been.

I didn't bring a hair dryer because I assumed there would be one, as all hotels and resorts do. They did not. It was a very minimal type of setting. However, we did spend all of our time outdoors, so really no need to glam up or have all the amenities of home. Though, it would have probably made us not be so ready to get home to our normal lifestyle with all the luxuries of home.

The food was fine. It was difficult to make it from 8:00am to 12:00pm and 12:00pm to 7:00pm for meals. Food is served buffet style 8:00-10:00, 12:00-2:00, 7:00-9:00. We are early risers and so we were hungry right away! then to make it to 12pm for lunch and then to make it to 7:00pm for dinner, we had to double up on servings!

My husband made the joke about the food that it seemed like they just Googled "what do Americans eat" and then made lots of it! One meal was spaghetti and fried chicken! One day was all carbs; rice, mozzarella bread, spaghetti and sandwiches.

Breakfast was the best. The lady who made omelets was great and patient and kind in demeanor.

The staff was plentiful, but did not go out of their way to speak, other than when they needed to. Some looked miserable. Others were pleasant enough when you spoke to them, but none were outgoing.

Samsara was nice, but the same regarding meals, staff, etc. We did not see the accommodations, but the views were nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Adrian L, Guest Relations Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Hello friend, Thank you for spending your special honeymoon at our resort, we truly appreciate your comments and are happy you enjoyed your time. The front office agents would have been happy to present you with a hair dryer as they are kept at the office and not inside the rooms. We are happy you enjoyed our meals and that breakfast appealed to you. We'll be sure to pass on your kind words to our chef and staff at our next meeting. Thanks again for your review. One love!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

For my taste this was not up to par at all....however that does not mean it did not have its pluses here and there.

Firstly, the all inclusive drinks were on point I can not complain about the bar or its bartenders. I was very satisfied with the unlimited free alcoholic beverages, tipsy all trip....loved it!!!!!

Another plus was the beach it was clean and beautiful and seemed slightly more private, very relaxing. However, because this is located futher up the beach there are not to many water sport activities. Also the panhandling got a lil annoying, but the view and water made up for it!! But there is a Lobster man that comes around and it was money well spent!!!! Lobster man a plus!!!

The room was clean but very basic with a touch of rustic....lol...the ceiling fan seem liked a death trap. They were also very stingy with the towels...PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN TOWEL.

But what was really disappointing for me was the meals. Day to Day it was iffy...our of the 4 or 5 dishes offered maybe only 2 or 3 would be good. The food lacked the flavor i was seeking from good jamacian cuisine. So if I have to leave my all inclusive resort to get a good and satisfying meal thats not ood to me. So you can go into town and dine at Juciy J delicious but no A/C or go to Sweet Spicy Delicious with A/C:)

Over for the price you got what you pay for...therefore I will probably not be back just a bit to rustic for me and the food was not that good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello friend, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are sorry the resort was not up to your expectations. There are numerous restaurants located in and around the area that may have appealed to you. We are nevertheless happy that you enjoyed our All Inclusive beverages. Our resort is located on Negril's prime 7 mile white sandy beach. Beautiful scenery and amazing sunset. Thanks to our dedicated housekeepers our rooms are kept clean everyday to ensure the comfort that our guests’ desire. Thanks once more for your review. Bless!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

After booking an all inclusive deal from Groupon I was eager to see what I'd actually purchased.

Legends is a quaint resort nestled on 7 Mile beach.

I spent 4 days lounging, sipping on unlimited frosty alcoholic beverages and playing in the water.

Our all inclusive deal included food, drinks(alcoholic and non) and non motorized activities. Although the food left a little to be desired at times, there are always options to obtain other food items. From the vendors on the beach, the street or from the non all inclusive menu provided by the resort. Being that you are staying at Legends you are given the options to visit their sister property Samsara for other events, as well as dinner. Be forewarned Samara is more of a cliff resort with no beach.

We were able to snag a room closest to the beach, and this aided my experience. As drivers in Jamaica are typically speedy, crossing the street every time I wanted to get to the beach would've been a pain. The resort did have a crossing guard to aid you in your endeavors though.

Now for a few hiccups. Please be sure to bring the following with you as they are often not provided or optional? Beach towels, wash cloths and insulated mugs. Or if you wanna let your USA flag fly, bring a sleeve of red cups, you'll thank me later.

As far as service, I was never greeted impolitely and found that most of the staff was warm. I find that basic human interaction is a plus. So don't be afraid to speak or strike up a conversation. Yes, they work there but, these are folks too.

Checking in and out was very smooth. No snafu's or hidden charges. Everything is presented upfront.

Please note that Legends is located in between 2 of Negrils frequented places for nightlife. Bourbon Beach and Vegas. Be forewarned these spots crank till 4am. If you are a light sleeper or a person who turns in early, request a room on the other side of the street. That may squelch some of the sound. Though I stayed in a room closest to the beach, I never had a problem falling asleep. Could've been the all inclusive drinks, could've been the magnum tonic wines...who knows.

I'd definitely visit again. I like Negril's proximity to other sightseeing such as The Blue Hole, Rick's Cafe and Margaritaville.

Lastly I implore any travelers to check their expectations and just go with the flow. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to the beach and bar.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello! Thank you for sharing your comments. Legends is nestled on Negril's beautiful 7 mile white sandy beach as you said. Perfect location, close to many popular infrastructures, the mall, fishing village, great restaurants, Atm etc. Once you’re a guest of Legends, you have the opportunity to enjoy our sister resort Samsara cliffs as well, great resort for diving, snorkeling and great massages that can be done overviewing the sunset. Our security staff work effortlessly to ensure the comfort and well being of our guests. Our staff will be more than happy to hear that you enjoyed their warmth and welcoming spirits. Thanks once more for your positive comments and your recommendation. Be sure to email us when planning your next trip to receive your return guest discount. One love!
Jefferson City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Spent three nights here.....so happy to head for home. The only thing I can say positive about the place is the beautiful beach....which is everywhere! Service was terrible....my air conditioning unit leaked a puddle in my floor where I walked in....a window was knocked out but super glued together. Had to ask for towels and washclothes for two days! (The washcloth that I finally got....1...was a cut up piece of towel!)...no lie! I carried my bags to the room and the maid expected a tip??? Say what?....my best perfume came up missing after I had left the note on the door to Do Not Disturb. ........the "all inclusive" meals....meal time was for two hours three times a day...but they shut down after an hour! Utensils were hardly ever available because staff wouldn't replace the one's that had been used. Staff for the most part were rude and not helpful at all...exception of Clayton and one girl that I didn't get the name of. I left one day and came back to my air conditioning turned off....was told that I did it by remote....???...right! She expected a tip for turning it back on....no! I think it's a huge scam there with crap for service.....won't return....won't suggest anyone go there. There is more....but I am tired and really sad about this adventure....better one next time...I hope! :(

Room Tip: Don't book one here!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Adrian L, Guest Relations Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We're sorry to hear of your impressions and apologize for not meeting your expectations. Our customer service team will look into the details of your stay to learn how we may have responded better to your needs. The a.c. leak and window you mentioned have now been repaired, and seem to have been missed by our maintenance team. We appreciate you bringing that to our attention. Respectfully we disagree that you asked for towels for two days as our housekeeping manager’s log clearly shows you were given towels and facecloths at all times during your brief stay. As it was explained about the do not disturb sign, you had inadvertently placed the “make up my room now” side facing out. On the other hand we are very pleased you enjoyed our location directly on the beautiful 7 mile beach of Negril. We will be sure to pass on your kind words to Clayton and the dining room girls about their friendly service. Thanks once more for your feedback. Respect!
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We spent 5 nights at Legends & really enjoyed the flexibility of having the beach at Legends & the cliffs at Samsara: had the best of both worlds & the staff at both properties are top notch. Clayton is an exceptional bartender and everyone goes above and beyond to accommodate requests or make suggestions when need be. Recommend the all inclusive package for sure. We will definitely be returning.

Stayed July 2014
Hello! Thank you for your positive comments. We are happy to know you enjoyed our facilities and made use of our exchange privileges at our sister resort Samsara Cliffs. Our staff will be pleased to hear of your review. We'll be sure to make it known at our next staff meeting. We appreciate your great recommendation and we will be awaiting your return. Remember to email us so you can receive your returning guests discount on your next visit. Thanks again for your review and for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers. See you soon! One love!
Alpharetta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Let me start by saying we enjoyed our stay at Legends and would certainly stay again. The location is great and the staff is indeed friendly, accommodating and quick to respond to service requests. We had one of the 5 rooms that did have an actual ocean view which was great and very convenient to the bar and beach. The only downside with the room was the music from nearby resorts/restaurants till 4AM. You also have privileges at their sister resort Samsara. This resort has much better infrastructure and we had a blast snorkeling and jumping off the cliffs but they have no beach (but there is plenty of space to soak in the sun)

The only real issue we had was with the food. We were on the all-inclusive plan and food is only available during the 2 hours allotted each for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Outside of those times, you will have to pay for it. There were limited selections (usually 4 or 5 items total). The food itself was for the most part either instant (mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese), overcooked or hardly seasoned. Honestly, we were expecting a bit more "Taste of Jamaica". The drinks were strong but limited to local brands. We understand that we got a great price for nice place and realize that fine dining isn't why people come here but want to set expectations for others up front as we have been at other all-inclusives were we didn't have these issues (but paid more).

Tips - Bring your own beach towels and insulated mugs. The bar only serves drinks in little plastic cups but will happily fill your mug for you - keeping your drink colder and requiring fewer trips to the bar for a refill :) Stay in the second or third row of beach chairs if you want to reduce the interactions with the various merchants strolling up and down the beach. Also head over to Samsara for a day - great snorkeling and cliff diving.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Adrian L, Guest Relations Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Hello friend! Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are extremely happy you enjoyed your visit and would return to "Legends" our home sweet home. You will be interested to know we've recently made changes to our All Inclusive menu adding additional Jamaican dishes that appeal to our guests. Thank you for the suggestion! Our staff embrace customer service and take great pride in handling guest services with professionalism. We are pleased they made you feel comfortable and welcome. An ocean view room is a great recommendation, exceptional view of the evenings sunset topped off with our All Inclusive meal plan which allows our guests to experience two resorts for the price of one. Samsara is indeed a great sister resort, amazing cliff jumping, snorkeling and diving accessible by free shuttle that runs twice per daily. It’s an experience of a lifetime! Thanks once more for your review. One love!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Paul, the Manager was one of the most gracious people I have ever stayed with.
I have traveled all over the world and found Legends to be one of my favorite destinations.
We got back on Saturday morning and have already booked 2 weeks over Christmas.
Despite some of the complaints in other postings, we thought the food was very good - lots of variety. We ate out only a couple of times.
i have a medical condition, and when it acted up the entire staff looked after me.
I would recommend Legends over and over again to anyone looking for glorious beaches and wonderful staff.
If I could change anything, I would have loved to have had a little fridge in the room.
Cheers,
Brian

Room Tip: Book a room on the beach side, but away from the disco, if you want tobe able to sleep and relax.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Adrian L, Guest Relations Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Hey Brian! Great hearing from you and thanks for this lovely review. We are truly happy that Legends is among your favorites. Wow! Amazing that you booked your next visit already, That's great!! We're glad you enjoyed our meals. The menu varies everyday and the meals are prepared lovingly by our hardworking chefs. We do offer refrigerator rentals on property. Just visit the Front Office and they'll assist you. It was lovely hearing from you again and we are anxiously awaiting your return this Christmas. Thanks again! Respect & Love!

Been to Legends Resort? Share your experiences!