“Better hotels on the Beach” 3 of 5 stars

Legends Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #47 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Atlanta, Georgia
“Better hotels on the Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent 5 days at Legends as part of a LivingSocial deal. One of the reasons why we stayed there is because it offered an all-inclusive plan. As a pregnant woman, I didn't want to search the beach to find meals. I wanted the convenience. The rooms were okay. The air conditioner sits on top of the front door making it very hard to cool the room. The conditioner should be closer to the beds. The first day, we were without wash cloths, but upon request, the housekeeper did bring some to the room. The wait staff were very friendly. One of the ladies, Chevine (sp?) was even nice to enough to help me to my seat. She asked about my pregnancy and she was really warm and friendly every time I saw her. Kudos to her! We stayed on the beachside and wasn't even aware that there was another part to the hotel (gardenside) across the street. No one at the front desk mentioned it or that there was a pool table and ping-pong table available to guests across the streets. I would have liked to have known that instead of hearing about it from another guest halfway through my stay. The food was mediocore at best. They did offer some Jamaican dishes, I just wished they offered more. The selections were lacking: salad, two sides, two meats, some fruit and/or dessert. I would not choose an all-inclusive package in the future, pregnant or not. I did notice that Samsara (the sister property) and Legends offered similar meals although Samsara had a better selection of lunch the one day I visited the property. The hotel is in a good location on the beach and not too far from the beach mini-market. They do offer free Wi-Fi in the bar area, but it is not good. I paid to have one-day access of wireless internet which was better service. You can also use the access pass at Samsara. Overall, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay on the beachside to save yourself from walking across the street to the beach, front desk and b...
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you for your review and for choosing Legends! We wish you had mentioned your room number so we could have a look at that air conditioner. Please feel free to email us. Our maintenance staff are very diligent about keeping our AC units working in top form. You wouldn't want the unit right above your bed, with the cold air blowing directly on you. We have found that having the units above the doorway is the best way to cool the entire room.
We will definitely let the wait staff know how much you enjoyed there service, especially Chevy, such a lovely and courteous young lady.
Glad to hear you mad it up to Samsara on the free shuttle. The cliffs are a must-see!
It sounds like there were at least a few positive aspects of your stay with us. We sincerely hope you return and give us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.
See you soon
One love

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Grande Cache, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Spent a week in room 306 in early April. The resort itself is nothing fantastic, but it's location makes up for the many flaws. We opted for the no-meal-plan, which gave us a chance to explore the area and sample different menues. Our room was very dated from decor to plumbing, felt like a 2 star hotel from the late 1970's. Would look probably for something less vintage next time we come to Negril.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for reviewing! We're glad you enjoyed the location. Can't beat being right on the beach! We wish we could address the issues you may have had with the hotel, but saying "many flaws" is unfortunately not really specific enough for us to do so. We urge you to email us with more details so that we can improve on them. Its also unfortunate that you thought our brand new bathroom fixtures, including big new rainfall shower heads were "vintage." We've received so many compliments on them.
We sincerely hope you return and give us another chance to better accommodate you.
See you soon
One love
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

we were at legends less than a week ago,AND for the first time in my life I have written the management about an issue that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It has been almost a week and no one has written me back.
Before we left I read trip advisor about the rewiews on this resort and decided to go regardless of some bad reviews because we always go to the lower start resorts and always have a great time.
so here's some information I was little unclear of before we left. Bring a beach towel, bring a hair towel if you have long hair, bring a face cloth or two if you want to wash your face, bring a hand towel to dry your hands. you are provided one towel, it will be taken away early and the earliest you'll get it back is maybe 4pm, that being said you may want to bring a big towel too. There is nothing provided in the bathroom (blow dryer, soap...etc)
I really wish i had of brought a little mini coffee maker for my room!! If coffee is important to you birng one for your early mornings! you can get coffee at the bar area a little bit earlier than breakfast.... but I always felt unwelcomed to do so.
That being said my huge issue with this resort was the bar staff. I've read so many reviews on this resort and they're all the bar staff was great, so friendly, we had on going jokes...etc. Well let me tell you they must have hated me and my boyfriend and some other guest we talked to while we were there because, I found the two main bartenders to be very rude, no smile, no your welcome, attitude..it goes on... we dreaded going up to get any sort of drink. We even started tipping more to see if that would help, but it didn't. This is a HUGE part of your trip, your always at the bar getting something, be it water, juice or beer. We felt like we were a bother. Just one smile might of made the difference. We aren't the type of hard to get along with people at all, very easy going and friendly. I have no idea what we did... it had to be something? thank-you'd too much? smiled too much?? asked for water too much??? who knows!?
WE were also like other guest moved to their sister resort samsara for the night and next day, we booked our trip about three months ahead so it really sucked not to be on the beach our first morning/day where we arrived late the night before ( my boyfriend isn't a swimmer so he couldn't even enjoy the ocean our first day the water is pretty deep at the cliffs!) And we only on a five day.
The good stuff.... rooms were clean, beds decent enough, food was good (not very much to choose from and supper served very late!! ) great beach! great location, small and quaint, and the security guy at the beach is a really fantastic guy, keeps you feeling very well protected and keeps the peddlers away to a certain extent takes his job very seriously!! He was really good to us! Oh ! and we really enjoyed the regular girl serving the breakfast and making omelets every morning...loved her!
so all in all this resort could of been just right if it weren't for the b$%#*y bar girls! we will never return.

Room Tip: get a beachside so you don't have to cross the road to get to everything
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thanks for your review. I would like at this time to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Nevertheless we wish to clarify a few things. Firstly, we provide each room with two washcloths and two full size towels. We do apologize for the clean towels coming back in the afternoon, but with soaring energy costs and our efforts to help the environment by conserving water, we are limited to only a few machines. Still though, every room gets clean towels, washcloths and with all do respect, soap, everyday. Hair dryers while convenient are not standard in 3 star hotels and again energy costs in a third world country are no fun either. They are available at the front desk though. We just cannot afford to have one in every room and for that we are sorry.
As far as the staff go, this is quite foreign to us. Nearly all reviews, including the not so positive, usually have nothing but praise for our staff. Still though, a meeting focusing on customer service will be held with the dining and bar staff to help better serve future guests.
We appreciate your positive feedback at the end as well. Good food, cleanliness and a good nights sleep are key. That "security guy" you mentioned is Michael, the protector of our oasis on the beach. Our guests love him so much and so do we. The young lady at breakfast sounds like Rose, who is great, but they all are really :) We are so glad that there were at least a few positive and memorable aspects of your stay with us. We certainly hope you give us a chance to serve you even better in the future. One love
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just got back after staying a week at Legends. The location is key - right on the beach, centrally located. The grounds are average, and the rooms are old/not updated. But again, perfect location. If you are looking for the immaculate grounds of the bigger and pricier resorts, go there. If you are looking for a laid back atmosphere with a good bang for your buck, stay here. Just go in with the right expectations. Beachside rooms are preferable (we were in 310, closest to bar). Just be ready for the music from Bourbon Beach, 2 properties over.

We did not do the AI option as we wanted to explore and not feel obligated to eat all/majority of our meals there if already paid for. So, no comment on the food.

The staff is terrific. They all seem to always be on duty. Paul never left his perch sitting at the bar, always with a smile. He never objected to my constant requests for ice chest ice. Tiffany in the bar was a riot. We had a daily "I'm watching you" banter going. Michael on the beach was very protective of his turf. Like I told him, I would trust leaving my 13/15 year old's under his watch all day, every day. He was the man. I feel bad I can't name all, but all were great. They were like family.

We spent several afternoons at Samsara to get the cliffs experience. We typically cabbed it over for about $7 and took the free shuttle back. The staff over there was equally great. It was a nice change of pace b/c everyone there seemed to be at Legends on the beach, so we practically had the grounds to ourselves. Kids loved the cliffs jumping.

For a truly local experience, take a walk to the end of the beach towards town. It's 15 minutes. You've got the craft market, and Rasta Ringo. He's the 2nd to last property down there, outlined by conch shells. I discovered him 1 morning & spent a good part of 3 days down there. He served me campfire brewed coffee in a coconut shell and cooked my family 3 fresh dinners at sunset. Just told him what I wanted in the morning, what time, and done. We'd walk up at 6, and each of our requests was cooking on the fire. He'd serve it up with his just cooked rice and fresh veggies grown in the back. 3 perfect dinners at sunset. We had many best times during the week, but these topped them all.

Anyways, you get what you pay for and more at Legends. I'd recommend to any family/friends, and we will be back.

Room Tip: Beachside. And, take your own beach towels as none are provided.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
You said it all! Thank you for all the positive feedback. Also glad to hear you ventured into town. The craft market is truly a special place. We can understand why Michaels name would stand out, he is after all Legends' local celebrity. Also great that you made it up to Samsara, but next time get the free shuttle both ways ;) It runs in the morning and again in the afternoon.
Looking forward to seeing you again
One Love
Sewickley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We love Legends, Negril! This was our 4th trip. Each time we return, we feel like we're visiting friends. The staff is so friendly and so helpful, and they recognize us by name every time. Michael, the beach guard, does an amazing job taking care of "his" people (Legends guests). He's interesting to talk to, and he can help you arrange excursions & services outside of the resort. Collin works tirelessly to keep the grounds tended & clean. Donovan, whose duties consist of general maintenance, crossing guard, & beach relief, is always cheerful and willing to help wherever needed. Tiffany, Chevve, and the other waitresses are lovely and accommodating. Marissa, our maid, kept our room spic & span. Paul, Legends general manager, seems to be always on duty. These people work 14-hour days and longer, 6 days/week for low wages (but consider themselves blessed to have a steady paycheck). The new cook (Rose?) does a good job with the food and so does the breakfast server. Missing and praying for Mama.

We're not crazy about climbing in & out of the kingsize platform bed - hard mattress, but it's fine. NOTE: They take your towels early in the afternoon, wash them, and return them later that day. If you need towels earlier, let the maids know. Hot water comes from rooftop tanks, so try to time your showers accordingly.

See Captain Clarke, owner of the Sundance I & Sundance II glass-bottomed boats, usually anchored in front of Kuyaba, for fun snorkel tours and colorful crews, including Shalom, Nick, RastaMark, and Capt. Jack Sparrow. They'll take you to a different part of the reef each time you go out with them.

We also enjoy daily visits from the rest of the "cast of characters" (vendors & musicians) who patrol the beach but are kept from bothering guests by the ever-vigilent Michael.

If you're looking for a 5-star resort with endless amenities, move on. But if you want a laid back, authentic Jamaican experience, this is your place! Having the option of going to Samsara for a change of scenery is a nice feature, too.

Room Tip: We've always stayed beachside. Quiet and closer to that fabulous water and oceanfront bar &...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
NegrilhotelsManager, General Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thanks upon thanks upon thanks! Where to begin... This review is so heartwarming we are planning on reading it out loud at our next staff meeting. Thank you so much for mentioning so many staff members. We have all been working together for a long time and we love what we do, so such appreciation is much appreciated. One love and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Negril is a unique resort in Jamaica, it is nothing like the coastal route from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios with its conglomeration of large all-inclusive "resort see nothing else" hotels, it is 7 miles of unspoiled open beach with small friendly hotels and an atmosphere totally unique to its location.

I booked this because the price suited, I then got scared when I read reviews, however this hotel is while not luxurious is right on the beach, serves good food, is clean, has really friendly staff and pours excellent cocktails :)

We stayed for 2 nights as a break up to a holiday in Ocho Rios, another plus is, travelling from there on the Knutsford Express the bus point is 5 minutes walk away... I would not hesitate recommending this hotel...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Legends Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
What a LOVELY review! Such positive comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and proud that you stand by our food. The kitchen staff try so hard each day to please. When we read reviews like these, its music to our ears and we have to wonder about the less positive ones. Again, thank you and we hope we can make your future stays even more enjoyable.
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

you are not paying the price of 4 or 5 star. hotel is old. rooms were clean. no problem with hot water, took a while to get hot though. food was good. staff friendly. beach was very nice. we stayed in ocean view, more expensive. staying across the road may be a downside. it was a very nice low cost vacation. beautiful walks along the beach. i would go back and stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We would like to clarify that we are a 3 star hotel. The hotel was built in 1997 and has since undergone many improvements. Just this year, we have repainted all the rooms, adding a lovely green accent wall and an elegant mahogany molding strip framing the ceiling. We installed new bathroom fixtures in every room, including great big shower heads. The bar has a brand new 42" mounted flat screen TV with all the sports channels. Also the restaurant deck boasts 40 new comfy aluminum chairs. We even added to our greenside experience, with 6 newly built cabanas around the pool and a beautiful bamboo fence for more privacy. So you see we are constantly improving and we do it all for you. Your support is what keeps us going, so keep it coming mon!

Been to Legends Resort? Share your experiences!