“Great Family Vacay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Montreal, Canada
“Great Family Vacay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed at Beachcomber Club the first week of March and we had a wonderful vacation!!!! We were given a very large suite with a king-size bed, a pull-out couch and 2 twin beds, as we are a family of 5!!!
We had the all-inclusive package and enjoyed the Jamaican/Italian fusion buffet. The choices were limited but everything was delicious!!! My kids are picky eaters and they always found something they liked!!
The drinks at the bar were also amazing!!! Clayon's pina-colada was absolutely to die for!!!!
The beach and location are simply the best!!! Located right in the center of the seven mile beach and right next door to Margaritaville!!! People came from other hotels everyday to spend an hour and we had it right next door to enjoy any time!!! The kids also enjoyed the huge trampoline that they have in the water...hours of fun, day after day!!!!
We will definitely be going back!!!! Miss it already!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Wembley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for the 1st time and I was surprise a how the lack of professionalism the place shown. When we arrive we wasn't even treated with the hotel name. The deco is in the past and the place needs updating. Wouldn't recommend this place for the price they charge.

Room Tip: Choose self catering rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
BCCDirectors, Manager at Beachcomber Club, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Hello Hugh M,
We have recently renovated most of our rooms with new decor and appliances. Our main priority is to make our clients happy and are very sorry you felt otherwise. Our management and staff are professionally trained and show the utmost care to our guests. If a client experiences a problem with anything, they are encouraged on site to address the situation, so that we can solve it immediately. We thank you for your feedback and we will take take your comments into consideration.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Thank you Cookiemagil-your review was most helpful and it was my deciding factor in choosing the resort. It also proved very accurate (though we were lucky to have 2 nights of entertainment in the week we were there!).

We went as a family of 4 (kids are in their early twenties) and were pleasantly surprised to see that we were booked into a very large 2 bedroom suite on the second floor, facing the ocean, with a terrace to match. We could not have asked for a better spot! We arrived late at night, so the next day-things even looked better (we met a lot of people leaving that day who said they wished they could stay longer). My son’s first reaction was that he would love to get married here-the resort is small/big enough where we could book it all for family and friends. Yes, the resort is dated, we had air conditioning issues which we took in stride coming from -35 degree weather, and the beach chairs and cushions are old, but there was never a shortage and you just put a towel over and that did the trick.

Location, Location, Location! In the middle of 7 mile beach, next door to Margaritaville, and just steps from pool to bar to beach-who can ask for more? The food was a bit repetitive (I had seen this in a previous comment), I would have liked more vegetables at lunch, and dessert was limited (not necessarily a bad thing), but it was good, it felt more ‘home-made’ then buffet. We personally liked the more authentic dishes-one of the reasons we chose Jamaica. Given the value we were getting for our money, and our location, plus with the limited drink choices at the bar and it closing at 10, I had thought that we would take this advantage to change it up and walk the beach to try out different bars/restaurants. Well, between being lazy and being content with the food and drink provided, we only got away once to eat at Alfred’s Oceanside Palace-we had the coconut shrimp, fish and chips and the Caribbean lobster-all delicious!, and a couple of times to drink (more)-see below.

As stated, we were being pretty lazy, so thank goodness for Margaritaville-we went to the beach party and their ‘all you can drink’ night (thank you Duke for escorting me back and forth), and had free use their watertoys all week. One evening, we walked down to Roots Bambu to see a reggae band. I understand other nearby places have bands on other nights-I wish we would have done that more. We enjoyed a lovely decadent afternoon at the Blue Hole and experienced the sunset at Rick’s café (with reggae band), and my son also went out one night to the Jungle Disco.

We’ve done cruises, and various sized all inclusive resorts from small to large, 3* to 5*, which we enjoyed, but both kids(ish) agreed it was the best vacation yet. I would definitely go back so I could fit in the different spots on the beach and try to get to the west end for the restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have stayed at Beachcomber 3 times. I love this hotel, the management, Dominique and her family are great and the location is superb. I have stayed in both the 2 bedroom apt and also the studio. The apts are great for families or larger groups. We like to cook our own meals so the kitchen is important for me. The kitchen is fully equipped so I never had a problem cooking. The laundry washer/dryer is awesome especially if you are travelling for weeks at a time. I travel to JA often so I have long time friends now -- which I like to invite over for one of my meals. I never had a problem with security. The place is not brand new but it is in good shape and very clean. The veranda's are awesome! We ate most of our meals out there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Myself and my family stayed a week this past february at Beach Comber and loved it! First off, the location is perfect. The section of the beach belonging to beach comber has an ideal water level, and it is located right next to Margaritaville that provides water activities, if hanging out in the ocean isn't your thing ( I did both ). Swimming in the area we even met people from the riu and other hotels on the strip who would come to Margaritaville/ Beachcomber to swim because we had the best section- also couldn't believe how much more they spent for their huge resorts, when they would come over to ours.
Next the rooms were huge, we stayed in the two bedroom apartment and had plenty of room for the four of us. It was so spacious that it provided the comfortableness of home while on vacation + it was always well cleaned by our lovely maid.
I really liked the food, lots of chicken and Jamaican food- like goat, which i love, although i would of liked a little more vegetables, but I didn't find much of that anywhere in Jamaica.
For night activities, you are central, Margaritaville has a wild friday night open bar party and nothing beats being able to crawl home next door to bed.
Finally, for the most part the staff was excellent, Susie in the dining hall was very polite, friendly and personable, and my favourite were the security staff, Claude in the day never hesitates to help people with their chairs, and gets rid of whatever people on the beach may be bothering you. Kadeem, 'Shabba' and Duke on the night shifts, make you feel very safe, they are polite, friendly, well spoken and are just great people in general. Not too mention that the manager Dominique was great to be around and always made sure that we were enjoying ourselves.

I loved Jamaica and it was my favourite family vacation so far! I loved the weather, the ocean, the food and the atmosphere. I would go back in a heartbeat to Negril, and Beach Comber would be my spot!

Hope you enjoy your vacation!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Chesterville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We knew before getting there that we would not see what we were accustomed to. The reviews for the most part are very accurate. The lobby is not big but serves the purpose. We were given an apartment as there was four of us (two couples). The rooms are very big and so was the balcony. There were small issues with the air conditioner and one of the showers but they were resolved within one day. Getting a good night sleep was not a problem. Not once did we go hungry but had to wait several times for either a plate,food or glass. You will not complain about the food. The bar had some issues like running out of vodka or gin or the beer on tap not working. They did resolve that issue by giving us bottles of beer but had no back up plan when they ran out of bottles. We had no issues with staff and security. The beach makes this trip worthwhile. Walking into the ocean was one motion for me as the water is almost tub temperature. Our first day we encountered beach vendors that were selling marijuana. They were quite aggressive to make a sale. The following morning that was addressed by management and the rest of the trip was enjoyable. We were a little surprised to see so many Canadians but that is always a welcome treat. We made several friends in the ten days we were there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BBCDIRECTORS10, Guest Relations Manager at Beachcomber Club, responded to this review, December 23, 2014
Dear Mike D,
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that we were able to resolve any issues that arose and that your stay was enjoyable. We do our best to ensure our clients have a wonderful vacation. We have recently renovated many of our rooms and facilities and hope you come again to see the work we’ve done! We wish you and your family a Happy Holidays!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Let Me first start by saying I know this is a 3 star resort. We have stayed at many in Negril and prefer the small hotel atmosphere that the large resorts lack. That being said the management at this hotel and the owner specifically run this hotel into the ground.

My room did not have any running water and was in a state of disrepair on arrival. This does happen and we were willing to pay to upgrade,
When I calmly attempted to pay to upgrade my room on my arrival my money was refused. I was shown a room and told i could have it but then the front desk clerk showed me a ledger of how booked up they are and asked me if I could read. The alternate room was available but at the last minute i was told i had the best room in the resort and would not be moved! I did discuss this with manager Dominique, who while talking over me and interrupting, apologized and gave us the use of a kitchen and living next door to us, which was accessed daily by staff for the purpose of laundering the resorts laundry. Did not solve the issue, but granted it was a gesture.
The rooms are dated but that isn't the problem, the bathroom ceilings are mouldy and in disrepair. When two separate neighbours bathroom ceilings fell in during my stay, the maid and a grounds keeper were berated by the manager Dominique in front of the guests. I was embarrassed for the workers, who on a daily basis are verbally shouted at by Dominiqe. She is a bully by all standards. The owners and management are responsible for standard maintenance, it is not cleaning staff fault they work with the low standards they are provided with.
Towels were stained and holy, with magic marker written on them for identification purposes i assume. See Bathroom Pics below
Sheets are see through as they are so old, a purchase of new towels and sheets should be on your Christmas list Beachcomber!
When ceilings fall in, or room doors are accidentally left open, again staff are screamed at for all the guests to hear. They are the scapegoats.
Our room was old and falling apart, cockroaches in the room and although there are safes in the room we are not permitted to use them. Instead they charge you 5 bucks a day at the front desk, not very convenient. Same with internet, wifi is there for purchase, but other resorts provide it to their guests at no charge.

the food is mediocre at best, sometimes inedible, and repetitive, if they run out then you are out of luck. Yogurt or cereals would be a welcome addition. This is food is NOT child friendly.
The bar closes at 10pm sharp and staff look frightened to make sure that happens, it is a ghost town after 10, god forbid you didn't plan for food in your room, no snacks after dinner, nothing. Late arrivals to the hotel are not offered anything.
The water is an issue at this resort, although i am not sure why, it hasn't been at any other resort or hotel I have stayed in Negril. 2 days out of 7, no water, hot runs out quickly.

I know what you think i am being picky, no i travel extensively and do not expect 5 star service, However what i don't expect to see is the Manager Dominique standing on the beach in a screaming match with locals in front of all the guests and swearing at the top of her lungs in front of children. It was a spectacle to see, i am embarrassed for the local vendors who got dragged into it, and police were called in to assist, Regardless what the altercation was about, there is no excuse for such unprofessional behaviour from the management, just embarrassing. Disgusting way to run your resort, disgusting way to treat your staff and guests.
Negril is a beautiful town filled with lots of lovely hotels and B Bs which i have stayed, the local food is wonderful which is good, because i had to eat out everyday. The Beach is gorgeous and weather sublime, go to Jamaica but do yourself a favour, don't waste money here.

Room Tip: go to another resort, there are many wonderful hotels and B+Bs in negril, all with friendly professi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BCCDirectors, Manager at Beachcomber Club, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Guest
I am sorry you were dissatisfied with your accommodations, and we are very surprised as we have so many repeat clients who come year after year and love our rooms, so we can't be as bad as you say. When someone attacks you on the beach, it is only natural to respond strongly to prevent future harassment. It was an act of defending our guests against seller's harassment on the beach. Unfortunately it happens in many poor countries that receive tourists, and some locals may try to take advantage of them. I would suggest that next time, you are not happy with your hotel, to leave and ask your tour operator to relocate you, instead of create comments on trip advisor that could prevent others from staying and enjoying their vacation. We value our client's satisfaction so naturally Dominique tried to upgrade you and we are surprised at your comment. Our clients are dear to us, and again we apologize for any inconveniences.

Been to Beachcomber Club? Share your experiences!