“Beautiful beach, gorgeous scenery!” 4 of 5 stars

Beachcomber Club
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #58 of 91 hotels in Negril
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful beach, gorgeous scenery!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Really enjoyed a relaxing, beach vacation from Apr 14 -21st. The beachcomber is a real beachside hotel, with structurally good design ,large rooms and terraces, great food ,fantastic staff, and all sitting directly on bar none the best beach I've ever been on. Yes its all true about the outdated rooms but its really just the bathrooms that need totally replacing, we never had any bug issues,thankfully. We had a standard room that was quite large and a big terrace out front. The hotel was mostly empty half the time we were there, probably 6 of us at dinner. If felt like a private resort. My favourite thing to do was an early 630am swim at the beach,the water so warm and clear and nobody around. Food was fresh and delicious, wouldnt call this all inclusive, more like a meal plan, 3 meals a day with bar service. Great place to relax, nothing going on at night, met many people who have done the big hotel experience and prefer the laid back vibe here. Would definitely come back, after looking around the beach is one of the best and biggest on seven mile. Felt very safe as well, had security at night! Bring lots of one dollar bills, everyone wants a tip. Also if you are firm with the beach vendors , they will leave you alone after a few days because they walk the beach so often they know you are new!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Winnipeg, MB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We just got back from a 7 night stay at the Beachcomber. This part of the beach in Negril is amazing. The water is beautiful and you are within short walking distance to many other restaurants and bars. We stayed put most of the trip because we had our infant daughter with us. From the moment we arrived we were so happy with the service. We were upgraded from a standard room to a 1 bedroom oceanfront. Couldn't be more happy with the bartenders, front desk staff and others working at the hotel. Melissa, Jeffrey, Osheena and Lillian! Thanks a million!

As for food, it was like staying at someone's house and having them cook you meals. We enjoyed it SO much, like home cooked meals. Very limited menu, but it was nice picking from a few good things each day instead of a huge buffet that was no good! Breakfast was awesome. Hashbrowns and french toast were great and so was the veggie omelette. The lunch was usually burgers, hot dogs, jerk chicken, etc. Dinner was either buffet or table service and consisted of fish, jerk chicken or pork, rice, veggies and salad. Really simple but quite good. After a few days, you might want to switch it up a bit and head somewhere else for pizza, etc.
The drinks were great as we only had rum drinks and red stripe. It's very basic but all you need!

Our room was steps to the pool and beach and bar. We loved this because we were back and forth to the room a lot with the baby. Unfortunately, this is where the review takes a turn. We have travelled the world and have stayed in budget hotels in Thailand and many other countries, but there's a difference between old and clean and old and not clean. The room just looks like it needs a really good clean to put it frankly. It's been years and years of accumulated dirt that maybe have made it hard to keep up with. For instance, the towel rack in the bathroom was covered in grime. Knowing it was a 3 star, I brought Lysol wipes and cleaned the door knobs and light switches myself (crazy I know, but I had to...) and the dirt that came off the switches was bad. Someone had posted a picture of a toilet bowl and yes, it's still like that. Underneath the door was lots of hair and dirt stuck to the splintered wood. These things all seem trivial, but we just questioned how clean the bedding and couches, etc. were. We would sit in the living area in the evening and the couches had a slight smell to them. I would put something down (like a towel) before I sat on them. I knew going to this place that other people had seen cockroaches but didn't think we would get them. Sure enough every night in the bathroom they would come out. We were actually warned by a woman walking the beach that had stayed there previously about the roaches and she had suggested we ask the maids to spray for them. We did that afternoon and they actually patched up the hole I saw them crawling out of. Unfortunately they found another way in and there were more that night. They were in the kitchen on the floor as well. If it had just been my husband and I back in our pre-baby days, I wouldn't have minded but when travelling with our daughter, we have her toys everywhere, her bowls and spoons out all of the time and we constantly had to keep washing everything. We kept all of her things in the fridge because we knew it would stay clean once we closed the door! I didn't like feeling like I couldn't leave a bowl out in case cockroaches would crawl through it at night. I'm very easy going and truthfully if we hadn't seen the roaches, I might not have even minded the rest of the mess. The rooms are just in need of repair. The bugs are coming in from tons of holes in the flooring. The tiles had completely heaved in our room and were cracked so things crawled out a lot. One night there was a baby crab that was walking through the living room and snuck under the neighbors door! The sheets were also pretty bad as others have mentioned. They were finally changed on our 6th day there even though they say after 3 nights they will change them. They are old, smell like smoke and have yellowed. I'm also certain that the duvet never gets washed but I could be wrong...
As for the pool, it didn't look clean enough so I didn't swim in it. There were always a couple of crabs in it as well. I have to say that we always felt safe at this place. Never were we worried about leaving a door unlocked if we were at the bar.

Overall, for a family with children this place wouldn't be suitable for us again. When our daughter is crawling, we won't want her crawling on the floor there due to the cleanliness and bug problem. I hate leaving this kind of review because to be honest, this trip was fabulous. I LOVED the service, the food and everything about this place, except the cleanliness and quality of the rooms. It was amazing and the beach is out of this world. I think that with made-over rooms, this place would literally be the best gem on 7 mile beach. With a kitchen, living area that opens up to a terrace and washed and dryer and fridge, what more could you literally ask for?! We decided that we could not recommend it to our friends with kids though knowing that there is a bug problem in some rooms. Some peoples reviews sound like they had nice rooms so it's perhaps the ground floor that is plagued with the roach problem.

Cleaned up, that room would be my dream vacation spot for the rest of my life with my family. I truly hope that the rooms get better but that everything else stays the same! Thank you to all of the staff for a wonderful week!

Room Tip: Beachfront was awesome. We liked the main floor because we were in and out of the room with the baby...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed April 3-10, front reception staff very friendly, We had got lucky and had an ocean front room..As other reviews state, rooms need some repairs on baseboards/paint/new linens/new furniture, ,,/ bar and dining chairs need paint,, place needs a sprucing up...but the service was A plus from all staff..maids/..Suzanne, Melissa and Tanisha awesome bartending ( AAI. you get lots of great drinks, like pina colada, mudslide, rum punch, etc.. and tip well .usually $1 , every 3 drinks and you get as much alcohol as you like.. or tip more that is good too !Bar closes at 10,, but by that time..drinks all day and sun. .usually ok...and if you want more. walk down the beach, lots of music and little bars open.....Buffet for all meals except. one night lobster fest..and one night served dinner..otherwise buffet is very basic..chicken and /or fish..rice and /or potatoes, small salad choice..and cake as desert...always fruit at breaky with eggs / bacon and excellent french toast. fresh juice. good coffee...don't forget to leave a tip for the chef...she is amazing. for such a small menu , all dishes are tasty!..you can order breaky off the menu ie: omlette , just ask the girls .
Claude is very trustworthy..and will take care of al your needs..he is a personal tour if you need, will set up rental of mophead/parasailing with Captain. Quality/ snorkeling with Andy....will set your lawn chairs and towels for you, we gave $3 /day. and 10-20/day for tours or helping us..he sure made our stay awesome!!.........When you buy any alcohol , always buy at the duty free..we found out is always cheaper, taking into hotel room. or for going home.........overall for the price it is a very safe and comfortable place...location is greattt!

• Stayed April 2013
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We visted the Beach Comber from March 21 - 29, 2013. A huge thanks to all of the wonderful staff who made our stay all that more special. I agree with the reviewer who said that even though the food was limited, I was still good quality, hot and fresh. Yes, our rooms could be upgraded a bit, but our friends that stayed at Sunset at the Palms, had a much smaller room than ours. If you want to stay at a huge resort and not leave on any adventures, this is not for you. If you want to go on many local adventures, this location is absolutely perfect. The staff is very well informed as well as friendly and warm. Because of the layout of the rooms, we will be bringing the rest of the family with us next year. Also, if you are looking for a great driver/ tour guide, our guide was a local fellow named Eric (look for Eric Pleasure Tours) or ask the staff at the hotel. He knew everything about everything. Without him, we would have missed so many amazing things like the local street stands and hidden away places. He catered to our needs and wants happily, while showing us the beauty of Negril.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Beachcomber for a week in March 2013. This was one of my most enjoyable vacations.
Although the food selection was limited, it was consistently delicious. I have stayed at larger resorts with larger spreads and I ate less because the quality was sub par.
The staff was excellent! Everybody was pleasant and eager to accommodate. They were always friendly and seem to look out for the guests.
The rooms are huge. I stayed in a suite with a large bedroom, nice sized bathroom, kitchen and a washer/dryer. With that said, the rooms are clean but in need of updating. I would hate to return to the same linens etc. We were told the renovations are on the way.
Overall, the beachcomber is an excellent value for the rates. You won't find a better location, food or staff for these prices.
Kelly, NJ

• Stayed March 2013
Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

March 20-27 spent at the BCC.
We had read all the reviews and had mixed feelings about this resort and what to expect. We are 3 star people and didn’t expect anything more.
The staff is what made the place for me. Melissa, Susan, Tanisha and Saneika all have a smile and personality that warmed my heart, something I will never forget. All the staff goes out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Claude became our buddy and went above and beyond to make us comfortable at all times.

We were a party of four, and had a second floor suite. Two huge bedrooms with bathrooms, separated by another bathroom, kitchen, dining room, living room and washer/dryer. An extra-large balcony that was so great to have. There was lots of hot water, but water pressure was a problem at times. We later found out that it is a problem throughout Negril.
The bedding, draperies and towels are all in need of replacing, but they are clean. There are locks and double locks on all the doors, make sure they are all locked and keep your mind at ease.

The safety deposit boxes are at the front desk. There aren’t enough to go around, so we doubled up. It was just mainly to keep passports in anyway. We didn’t have to pay for ours because we were sunquest, sunwing people had to pay.

The meals were basic, but filling. My only advice is, if they say supper is at 7:00… Be there at 7:00. The resort was only about 1/3 full, so they just make enough food.

The reviews are right. The BCC has the best beach I saw on all of 7-mile beach! If you have any questions about getting off the resort to do things, Claude will help you. If you need a boat, find Captain Andy, he is very accommodating.

I found the Beachcomber Club to be a very comfortable place. Never felt nervous or afraid. It would be nice to see it updated. Amazing what a new coat of paint, draperies and bedding would do.

If you have any questions at all, don’t hesitate to send me a message….. No worries Mon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Winter Sask.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed for one week at the BeachComber club. The staff including Melissa, Tanisha, Suzanne, and Claude serve you above and beyond. They are really trying their very best with what they have to work with. House keeping staff did a wonderful job as well. If you require anything everyone was there to serve you. Wonderful people, made our stay welcoming and inviting. Claude lined up wonderful snorkel tour with Captain Andy (a very good man). The accommodations were below standard and are in desperate need of repair and updating. Water problems in our Apt/ Suite, poor water pressure, and power fluctuated.(Power problems, however are all over the island, this is not a hotel problem) Rooms need new bedding and drapery , canopys over bed are in desperate need of cleaning, or removal. Doors were not secure for Hotel purposes but we had no problems with security.Thank you Roy for making us feel safe at night. However, Food was very good. Excellent breakfasts and suppers. But you needed to be on time for meals, or you would miss out. Beach out back was fantastic! Just make sure Claude lines you up for your seating. Lots to see if your snorkelling and lots of fish, starfish and manta ray activity. Would love to go back if hotel was updated a bit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Beachcomber Club? Share your experiences!