“Beachcomber club” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Union, Ontario, Canada
“Beachcomber club”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Beachcomber has a great beach location, but rooms need refreshing badly. The bathrooms need gutting toilet leaked all over floor no outlet available for blowdryer in bathroom either, only a trickle of water available from the shower as well. The rooms look as though the bedding and curtains are original probably atleast 30 years or more old. The bed linen is yellow and towels also yellow and holey. Security was mostly nonexistent with absent gatekeeper most of the time at the front of the building. We heard someone rattling our door and found large footprints outside in the morning, the adjoining room had flipflops stolen from outside, don't keep any valuables in your room. The food is good but not much variety from day to day. I have stayed in Jamaica in the past and would recommend spending a little more and stay somewhere else......

Room Tip: go somewhere else....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, On
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have just returned from a seven day stay at Beachcomber Club. I have mixed feelings about Beachcomber, so I will try to be very fair with my review.
Check in was easy, and we paid for a safety box $3.00 per day at the front desk, no in room safes and internet service $36.00 for the week. It would be nice if these two items were included, but unfortunately they were not. The internet service I did enjoy, and it worked very well.
We were taken to our room, but I cannot say that we were given any instructions or information about the Beachcomber Club. I stayed in a "Room 19B" and the main part of the room didn't look too bad. The room seemed very damp, even with the airconditioning running. The tv reception was poor. The washroom could use a major update, and the plumbing seems to be a problem around the whole Beachcomber club from what I have been told. Sometimes water would only come out at a trickle, but from up above it was dripping down the wall, the toilet was leaking and the sink had more water coming out from around the tap, than from the tap itself. The king bed was a canopy bed and the bedding looked like it had seen much better days. The suite next to us seemed as though nobody was satisfied, as they asked to be moved after the first night. Apparently, beds were too short and hard as rocks. Other people complained that their room had cockroaches, and we may have seen one baby one the last evening we were there.
We found that each meal was probably served 1/2 hour later than posted. Meals were well prepared and tasty, but repetative. Lunches seemed to be very similar to dinner meals. Each day at lunch there was french fries, and hotdog or hamburger, chicken or fish, and a salad. Sunday evening is lobster (very overdone-tough) but a good try, as this is the first of many resorts that have ever offered lobster. We also had an evening of entertainment which we enjoyed, but there were not many people watching and the bar closed an hour before the entertainment was over.
The beach is very beautiful. From the restaurant or the bar you have an excellent view. As another report states, it is not easy to get a chair with an umbrella. The chair boys only seem to be available in the morning when you are there to offer a tip. If you didn't get a chair first thing in the morning, you can get it down for yourself.
The bar for those of you that are "inclusive or almost all-inclusive" has bottled Red Stripe, Pepsi, Ting etc. which is quite nice. Other drinks however, are not all inclusive such as-those pictured all across the top of the bar- those drinks are premium and not included.
The staff are quite friendly. The atmosphere at Beachcomber seems to be very friendly and community like. I met many people that have been vacationing at Beachcomber for many years and stay for many weeks at a time on timeshares.
The major problem at the resort seemed to be the lack of good security. One evening while waiting for a shuttle, I observed the front security guard hopping out of a taxi and get into his watch station. During our stay, I had been told by many guests to keep your door locked and to ensure that the brass pegs were pushed into position as your room door could be pulled open easily, even with the dead bolt locked. Some regular visitors also bring their own security alarms for the doors, and others place glass jugs etc at their doors. I heard several reports of thefts, and things taken even while people were sleeping. Of course, you don't know if it is true, but now I do believe it. Our last evening once our lights were out, we heard the door rattle as if someone was trying to open it. It was late at night, and at first I thought perhaps we imagined it and so I had a look and didn't see anything. Once our eyes were closed I also saw a bright light shine into our room from the back side of the room. In the morning when opening our door, I saw very large sandy footprints right to our door and the door next to us. I went for breakfast and was told by a person in our complex that his two pairs of flip flops had been stolen and so were another persons. I reported this to the front desk the next morning and they acted surprised, but I'm sure they didn't do anything about it. I read a sign that said unless you are a guest at Beachcomber, you are not allowed on the premises without a guest pass. I don't believe that this was enforced as I saw many people walking through, and some guests had "night people" that they were obviously entertaining. After many visits to Jamaica, I have never witnessed such an absence of security. It is too bad, as I did have a good time at Beachcomber. I would say, that if you have a choice and the next resort didn't cost too much more, go for the place with the better reviews. Believe what the majority of the people say here on Tripadvisor, as most of what you read is the truth and it is up to you to decide what would bother you and what you would be ok with.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Loved the location and staff of this resort. Melissa and Jeffrey very friendly. Unfortunately the owners need to sort out their priorities and get on with running a hotel. We stayed for one week (Jan 17-24/2013) flying with Westjet. The standard room is large enuf for two but why did I have to wait til Jan 19 for hangers in the closet or remote for the TV and a safe? All safes are at the reception-none in the rooms. Half of them are broken so you have to wait for someone to leave to get one. The shower head and sink faucet barely allowed water to trickle out. Again asked for maintenance on Jan 19-no one ever did show up. Refused to use the pool-even though it was "cleaned" every morning never did it look like it. Bar closes at 10:00 p.m. every night. I am an adult and I don't appreciate being told when to go to bed. Now the food-very very limited selection and quantity. Hot table broke during our stay so had COLD eggs,bacon for breakfast. Eventually was repaired so now poor food was hot. Boiled hotdogs for lunch and if they dont get eaten they become beans and weiners the next day. Desert only appeared after the evening meal on 5 of the nights. No snacks unless you buy from one of the many venders on the beach. God forbid if you want to sleep past 8:00 a.m. on your vacation-if you do you don't have a palapa for shade. There are only 6 of them for approx 50 people. One of the palapas is only half there. No chairs/tables/umbrellas around the pool and the beach bathroom has a bottle of Palmolive dish soap to wash your hands. When it emptys they just add water to it! We went out for dinner and breakfast once. If I had known the food was that bad and so sparse I would have brought more $$ to eat out. But I shouldn't have to as being all inclusive. Drinks at the bar are very good but if you want anything that uses a liqure in it is extra. They ran out of bananas so couldn't make a few drinks. When I asked to substitute with banana liqure they me told it would be extra cost? I would not visit this particular hotel again but the beach is very nice and that saved the week. If the owners spent some $$ improving the hotel it could be a real gem.

Room Tip: Try to get 2nd floor. Many break ins during our stay at this hotel and others nearby.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is my 4th trip to Negril in recent years, and I chose to try the Beachcomber Club because last year I met some fun people staying there and their price was very reasonable. I was given a room with a very nice location, with a great furnished patio that was poolside and also had a view of the beach. No complaints about that. What I found inside the room was actually below standards for even Negril. Although the floors were clean, my first move was to strip the bed and replace it with all new bedding I bought in Negril. The sheets and pillow cases were obviously years old, yellowed and rough. (pilled). The bedspread was disgusting and ripped. Towels are equally aged and discolored. Get your own. At some point, maybe in the 1980s, someone decided that a canopy bed was fancy shmancy, but now in 2013, the heavy drapes over the canopy have long since wilted in the carribean humidity. Same for all the window coverings. Tip for the owners of this place... replace all those ancient drapes with vertical blinds and chop off the bed canopies. It is all full of mold and whatever by now, and doesn't seem luxurious at all. We didn't want to touch it. The front desk people here seem a little confused about your reservation when you arrive, and kind of un-interested that you showed up. Same for the bartenders who will let you sit there for 15 minutes, obviously without a drink and ignore you. We only tried one drink at the bar, one that they advertised as their specialty, a dirty banana... we had some really good ones nearby, so we thought we would try theirs... oops.. no bananas, and no dirty(chocolate) available. So they just handed us a blended creme de banana with ice. They apparently offer a meal package to make it an all incusive, but nobody really offered it to us. We just noticed some steam trays showing up by the pool area, and some sleepy looking workers moping around them. I never saw more than 6 people in the dining area. We prepaid for our stay at Beachcomber, and it was kind of a laid back vacation this time around anyway, so we just hung in there, and had a fantastic time and great food everywhere else on the beach and on several trips to the west end. To sum up our impression of the Beachcomber Club, I would say the owners are just letting the place go, with little interest in quality or return business. "Want to stay at our hotel ? Yeah, sure...whatever...." is what they would say.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here with my daughter and son-in-law for a week. On the third night our room was broken into while we were sleeping. They took our iPhones, iPods, camera and computers from the common area and also the money from our wallets that were on the nightstands next to our sleeping heads!! They even went through the dresser drawers to find the cash we had hidden there. The police interrogated us on several occasions and refused to file police reports, claiming that we had to provide serial numbers for our electronics. Not to mention the fact that the police completely ransacked our room as if we were lying!

We were told by the locals that this was most likely an inside job orchestrated by employees of the hotel. They say that a staff member probably unlocked a window in the common area while cleaning our room which allowed the thieves to enter during the night. Thank God we didn't wake up during the robbery- who knows what would have happened.

Do not stay at this hotel. In fact, after the treatment we received from the police we will never even go to Jamaica again. They must do everything possible to not file reports so that they can claim lower crime rates. Only one member of our group did not have their phone stolen. A few days later he was swarmed by police while talking on his phone on the beach. "Why do you have a phone?" "Why wasn't yours taken?" Basically implying that we made up the robbery.

We travel often and this was not our first trip to Negril. We have NEVER experienced anything like this. The hotel didn't offer to move us, reimburse us, even a free drink. Terrible service, terrible experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel is absolutely wonderful. The food is incredible, and drinks are great. As for the rooms, you have a kitchen, washer/dryer, living and dining rooms, two bathrooms, a master bedroom, and a large porch with table and chairs. The staff is terrific, everyone is so sweet, and always smiling. The hotel sits right on the white sandy beach, which has areas of shade as well as sun. This will be my 21st year staying at the Beachcomber. I would highly recommend it for a calm and relaxing vacation!!!

Room Tip: 3a/b ---- perfect location. 30 second walk to the beach and 10 second walk to the pool. Quiet at nig...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked Sunwing package and arrived on time on Sunday at Noon. Our room 19B was ready but there was no water for the toilet, which was OK as the shower worked and I filled up a bucket to flush.
Then a large family of Americans moved into the central suite- 7 people and that is the major fault of this property. The rooms are divided into three- a large central suite with stove etc, and then a smaller one bedroom on each side, all sharing a common front balcony. The large family took over the entire balcony for meals-meetings etc and were very loud.
I met with the staff and got moved to 23B and that was fine for the rest of the week, although water shortages continued.
I was advised by other Canadians that I had better like chicken as it is a staple of the all-inclusive menu, and it was but was presented very well, and overall, the food presented was clean and well prepared if basic.
I was most impressed by the staff and management- everybody was trying their best to make this place work. We felt safe at this property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Beachcomber Club? Share your experiences!