“Beachcomber Club Experience December 16-23, 2012” 3 of 5 stars

Beachcomber Club
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #57 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Ottawa, Canada
“Beachcomber Club Experience December 16-23, 2012”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked Sunwing package and arrived on time on Sunday at Noon. Our room 19B was ready but there was no water for the toilet, which was OK as the shower worked and I filled up a bucket to flush.
Then a large family of Americans moved into the central suite- 7 people and that is the major fault of this property. The rooms are divided into three- a large central suite with stove etc, and then a smaller one bedroom on each side, all sharing a common front balcony. The large family took over the entire balcony for meals-meetings etc and were very loud.
I met with the staff and got moved to 23B and that was fine for the rest of the week, although water shortages continued.
I was advised by other Canadians that I had better like chicken as it is a staple of the all-inclusive menu, and it was but was presented very well, and overall, the food presented was clean and well prepared if basic.
I was most impressed by the staff and management- everybody was trying their best to make this place work. We felt safe at this property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I inherited the Beachcomber time sharer and 4 friends and I had planned this trip for a couple of years, I spoke highly of the Beachcomber and ask my friends to google the resort. They were very pleased at the pictures and how beautiful the resort and rooms looked. I had been there before back in 2006 and the place was absolutely gorgeous. We arrived on December 1, 2012; and was just given our key and instructed where our room was located. The conditions of room and the entire resort were shocking and my friends were looking at me like what is this. The room was not sanitary, towels no one wanted to use, tv's didn't work, afraid to sleep in the beds, I felt so embarrassed. We were moved to another room that night and refrig didn't work, they has to take our food and put it in another refrig overnight and the water just dripped out, it was about the same as the room we moved out of and the next morning there was no water at all. We were moved to yet a third room, which the manager (Lilly) didn't want us to move into. The swimming pool was dirty and everyday someone came out as if they were cleaning it and by the way no one from the resort ever swimmed in it the 7 days we were there. I did notice the Inspector General's from Canada was there to do an inspection and later that day the staff was working on the landscaping and painting some of the rooms. I spoke with some of the other people and they mentioned the conditions has gone down. We made the best out of our trip that we could and we understand the enconmony has been hit hard, but to show fake pictures and landscaping if it's not true, is totally dishonest.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay for you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

2 friends and I went to the Beachcomber last February (haven't gotten around to writing a review yet) and we had the most amazing time. Unlike many of the big box resorts (Riu, Sandals, etc...), Beachcomber has a certain personality and small-operation mentality that is a welcome break from the bigger resorts. I'll break down the areas and comment on them specifically.

Location:
The Beachcomber has THE BEST LOCATION on 7 mile beach. It is smack dab in the middle of the 7 miles. If you turn right out of the hotel, you walk towards the bigger hotels and if you turn left, you walk towards Jamaican owned shops, restaurants and beach vendors. Literally, if all you want to do is sit on the beach and chill in the water, this place is for you. A nice added perk is the fruit stand lady located next door to your left. We went there everyday and she started giving us discounts. The fruit was delicious.

Food:
We loved the food at Beachcomber but you have to set your expectations. Instead of serving 100 items that are all bad, the Beachcomber server 2-3 main dishes which are all delicious. The nice part about this is the authentic Jamaican cuisine that you won't find at other resorts. I've been to many all inclusive's and they usually serve bad American food (hamburgers, fries, etc...) but here it was all Curried goat, jerk chicken, fresh fish. Every meal was delicious and there was always enough, provided you got there at the right time. Since the resort is much smaller than normal hotels, when they say dinner is at 6:30 - you better show up on time. Once we came at 8:30 and there was basically no food left. If you got there at the right time, you could help yourself to as much as you wanted (I guess that's why we didn't get any at 8:30 lol). Nontheless, the food is good and authentic. You won't get sick from this food.

Staff:
One of the best parts about the Beachcomber is the staff. Since there are only roughly 40-50 people there at any given time, you really get to know the staff. They will go out of their way to make sure your stay is the best. Susan, the bartender always had our drinks ready for us in a jiffy and Claude (the beach cleaner) always reserved our seats for us in the morning (after a $20 tip at the beginning of the week from each of us). I can't tell you how nice it was to wake up at 9am and have the best seats on the beach reserved for us. Well worth the $60. Everyone else was nice, courteous and friendly. Oh and Claude is a good guy to go to for booking things on the beach. We asked him to refer us to a Sea-do guy and a Snorkeling guy and everyone worked out well. He even gave us a loaf of bread to take Snorkeling to feed the fish.

Rooms:
Huge, like totally unnecessarily huge. There are no marble floors or huge king size comfy beds but I mean, how long are you in the room for everyday anyways? We had 3 washrooms for the 3 of us, a kitchen, living room, dining room, huge balcony and 2 rooms. One of them didn't have A/C but our buddy just opened the window and the breeze off of the ocean was fine. Overall, you get what you pay for. I feel like in the 60's/70's when this place opened, these rooms were top class. They just haven't updated them since then lol. No bugs or bedbugs or anything though - everything was clean and perfect for what we needed.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Beachcomber to anyone who wants a real trip. If you want to sit by a pool and have people serve you from morning till night or waste tons of food just cause you're on vacation, this isn't the place for you. For people watching their wallet, looking for the perfect beach and to make some great friends - you won't regret choosing the Beachcomber. We're actually about to plan another trip here for February 2013. Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Me and a bunch of friends go to the yearly summer parties in Negril and decided to go with this hotel. We were all happy we made the choice! The price was very reasonable and the hotel is very simple, sleek and quiet.

Upon arrival, we are guided to our rooms, given our keys and explanation of how to get help from staff. They seem to only offer suites, 2+ rooms with multiple beds. The beds are a bit small, made for just one person, except a master bed in one room. The living room area is great for lots of people to sit, chat, laugh, watch tv, etc. There's a kitchen with stove, teapot, microwave, clothes washer/dryer, dining table and bar table. There's also a balcony table with view down the walkway to the beach.

The bar is open most of the time, up to about 1am at night, and opens around 8am in the morning. Don't think we were ever awake that early to catch breakfast because of all the partying and getting in at 4am or 5am :-)

There are local attractions like Jet Ski, Para-sailing, Glass Bottom Water Tour, Scuber Diving, etc.

All in all, we all enjoyed this spot and will be coming back next year!

Room Tip: Remember to bring sunglasses, slippers, lots of shorts and your own bathroom gear (toothbrush, tooth...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Beachcomber club for a week in August, and we couldn't be happier with the hotel. The staff is warm and welcoming, the food is great, the rooms are nice and spacious, and the beach is just, absolutely beautiful. I felt at home immediately. My wife and I fell more in love with each sunset.

Room Tip: Get second floor, better view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

If you are looking for an all-inclusive without the corporate bustle of the big hotels and a more intimate interaction with the staff, the Beachcomber is the place for you. My husband and I just spent 7 days of absolute paradise here. The staff was attentive, meeting all our needs. Letriecia (sp?) and Taniesha took exceptional care of us for all of drinks and meals. Nelson took care of us on the beach. The meals were EXCELLENT here (all freshly cooked to order). Ran into Canadians that stayed at the Bahia Prinicpe in Runaway Bay and they said there was no comparison with the food. They said it felt like herding cattle with the buffets and by 8AM all the beach chairs were claimed. We ate one meal off the resort at Cosmos; while the food was good there, I felt the Chef (s) at the Beachcomber could have made a comparable if not better meal. We ate Jamaican meals at the Beachcomber the whole time and the Chef (s) even accommodated a special request of Fish Tea. It was to die for and we all had seconds. We are already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: Superior room withe Oceanview is the way to go.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I always enjoy our stays at the Beachcomber in Negril.
It is small and cozy and just great for r&r. The beach is the best, Beachcomber has a large beach front, so you are not all crammed in like sardines like many of the other places..
We have stayed in the rooms, the studio, and also the one bredroom apartments..
All being just fine.. The staff are great, in no time at all they call you by name which is nice..
Anyone of them will go out of their way, to help you or get you something.. It is also very nice to go back and see the familiar faces...Jeffrey, Tanisha, Elitricia, Lily, to name a few..Everyone is very freindly..
The food is quite repetative , but always good... great jerk chicken!!! The hotel setting is very nice also, you never have to walk far to get anywhere.. The atmosphere is cozy... We love it and will certainly be back again in December..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Beachcomber Club? Share your experiences!