“Good, but........” 3 of 5 stars

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to $335 in Air Credit!
Ranked #11 of 90 Hotels in Negril
London
“Good, but........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2005

Just got back to England and felt the need to post my feelings about the Negril Spa and Resort on the web. The biggest gripe I had with this vacation was that it is really not worth the money... we paid over £6000 ($10,000) for a two week stay in a room with our two kids (four of us in all), and the room was advertised as being suitable for two adults and two children which it was definitely NOT! The room was a deluxe in the Savannah block... clean and tidy, well serviced and typical of many rooms in the Resort, but simply too small to even stack away our suitcases and with beds that just are not big enough for two people! I did not get even one night's decent sleep because of this. Most of the Brits I spoke to had exactly the same issues that we had. That was the negative, the only REALLY serious gripe we had with the place. The beach is fantastic, the pools are good, the restaurants offered a reasonable choice of dining and quality, and the staff were absolutely charming. Watersports are brilliant, the grounds are well tended but the Resort lacks that "wow" factor that we had been sold on by the advertising hype. Also, the evenings were more than a little dull after about 9pm due to mediocre/non-existent entertainment. We love the Caribbean..my family have been to Jamaica 3 times in the last 5 years, but next time I would definitely consider going back to the Jamaica Grande Resort in Ochos Rios before considering a Beaches Resort. In fact, if you want to go a little "down-market", the Melia Caribe Hotel in the Dominican Republic, which we visited last year gave us a similar standard of holiday for around one-third less. In conclusion, I guess you need to spend rather more money than you thought you would in order to get the standards that you would expect at the price. Tina & Greg ..August 11 - 25th

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

Let me begin by saying we researched this resort intensely the week before we went, and read at least 100 reviews, good and bad. We decided not to believe any of them until we were there, and let the resort get the benefit of the doubt. The travelers were myself, my wife, and my three girls, 19, 17, and 14.
AIRPORT
There was no problem finding anything at the airport, from baggage claim to the "waiting room", but it was a 90 minute ride to the resort. The roads were smooth and paved, so there was no problem with that.( Air Jamaica did say they had to leave bags behind because the plane was too heavy, so be sure to get to the plane early. Also, the people taking your luggage to the vans do not work for Beaches so they do take tips)
CHECK IN
When we arrived, there was nobody at the front to tell us where to go, what to do with our luggage, anything. After someone finally came, we were taken into an air-conditioned room and given drinks, our room keys, and an overview of the resort by the concierge. Luckily, one of our rooms was ready, so we could change into swimsuits there and head to the pools.
ROOM
Tons of fruitflies in the room every night (understandable being somewhere tropical), a bad smell, (covered up with a spray later that night), a broken tv, and broken air conditioning in the other room. Every 2-4 hours the A/C turned off, despite many attempts to fix it by the staff. Also, in the bathroom, there was a window that was just open, with no screen on it to keep the flies out, later fixed. The second night, our room wasn't fixed until at least 6, when we had to get ready for dinner, but we couldn't shower without towels! Also, we kept loosing power (without storms!) and our clocks kept having to get reset. Finally, the mini bar wasn't filled regularly. Something we learned to kill the flies is take a bottle of beer they give you, and pour it into cups around the room, mainly near the lights. The flies will try and get some to drink, and will drown in it.
POOLS
The pools themselves were ok, but almost everything else wasn't. To start, there aren't enough umbrellas on the deck for everyone to sit. We were out at 6:30 in the morning just to get 5 chairs. Also, after 9 AM nobody ever refilled the towel basket around the pools, so you had to have one wet towel every day. Also, around the pools, there is a sewage smell to the grounds, and it was there every day. The whole family broke out in a rash somewhere on them due to the chemicals, but it only happened one day. Also, my oldest daughter and I got ear infections, and since I am writing this so late, I noticed a lot of other people got ear infections too. And for some, it may be from just staying in the pool so long, but my family does trips like this every year (pool and beach trips), and none of us have ever gotten an ear infection before! The swim up bar in the main pool was nice, but in the other pool, hardly anyone was ever at the pool part to get you a drink. The lazy river wasn't so lazy, but they made you wear a life vest, which was actually better then I thought it would be, because you can just use that as the floating device! No need for the tubes! Also, the slides were great, and there was always someone there so you could go down. Sadly, the whole waterpark was closed for 90 minutes at lunch time, for employees lunch. It seems so long, when basically all of them stay in the same spot for lunch and on the job!
BEACH
The beach was very nice, plenty of seating (shade and non) with a nice breeze! The best place to sit in my opinion! The water was very warm and calm, but there was a thick layer of algae right at the edge of the water, but once you moved past it, you could see your toes.
RESTAURANTS
Breakfast- the only place you can really go is to The Mill. It offered a variety of foods, from eggs to danishes to just cereal and oatmeal. There were fantastic omelettes made to order, and the line was never really that long. Make sure you get there early, its only open until around 10, and by that time, some of the food is gone. Be sure to get some orange juice! The only downside was that if the food was empty in the middle of the open time, it was never refilled, and there was always a shortage of plates.
Lunch- There were more options for lunch, each offering different things.
The Mill- I think the best place overall, had many different hot dishes, tropical juices, and options. Only downside is that if its busy, nobody will bring you a drink.
The Poolside Grill- Good food, but the options never changed. There was a little wait sometimes, but the line moved quickly. They offered hamburgers, cheeseburgers, grilled cheese/ham, salad bar, pasta salads, and desserts.
The Piazza- Had fresh pizza, pasta dishes and sandwiches. Also good food, but on most occasions there was only one person working, and a line of 8 people, so you had to wait a long time for pizza to be refilled, or just a sandwich.
Dinner
The Mill- Outside buffet that got really hot at night. Every night the list of food changed to match the theme. Food was ok, occasionally we couldn't get drinks because it was so busy.
Tex-Mex- Food was ok, we could never get drinks, so we ended up getting our own refills, and they never had conch fritters! It was always shrimp, but the pumpkin beef soup was really good.
The Seville- Adults only, but my daughters looked old enough to get in. The food was good, service was great, but it took 3 hours to get through our meal. Dress code was very strict, my daughter couldn't wear flip flops. We liked the food the most here, but it took so long, we decided not to go back.
Teppanyaki- Food was good, met new people to talk over dinner with. Best service, and it was fun to see the chef cook in front of you. We went 2 times and had a different chef each time. Make sure you try the fruit punch in the waiting room! At dessert, you were taken into a small room, the first time it was clean, the second time there were still dirty plates and dishes, leaving no room for us to sit. The cheesecake was still a little frozen, but at least we know it was kept cold.
WATERSPORTS
The free watersports were great. Snorkeling was good, not to choppy, plenty to see. Water skiing was worth the 9am lesson, even though my daughters didn't get up, it was worth a try. Banana boats were good for little kids, it was nothing special for the older kids. Parasailing IS NOT THROUGH THE RESORT, but we paid $30 a person (ask for that much or maybe you can get it a little lower) for two of my girls to go. They loved it, even though the company was a little sketchy.
TEEN ACTIVITIES
My girls didn't do any of the activities, but there are plenty to keep your teens satisfied. We all did go to the x-box game room which was full of great games,and if they were broken, it was usually fixed the next day.

Overall, we don't think the resort was worth the money, and didn't begin to compare to Beaches Turks & Caicos. The grounds were clean, the people were friendly if you were friendly to them. If this is your first vacation to an all inclusive beach resort, you might find yourself happy here, but it is nothing compared to our other vacations. Hope you find this helpful.

• Stayed August 2005
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

We (husband and 2 kids, ages 12 & 17, as well as two other families) stayed at Beaches Negril from Aug. 13-20, and we had a great time. Here are some details:

Upon arrival at the airport in Montego Bay, we were escorted by an airport employee to customs because my daughter is in a wheelchair. After customs, the same employee escorted us to baggage claim and then to the Sandals lounge. I was pleasantly surprised that we actually only got to spend a few minutes in the lounge, because our transportation to the resort was ready for us. The transportation was one of our few disappointments - we had been promised accessible transportation, but apparently there is no such thing. My daughter sat in a bus seat and her wheelchair was carried onto the bus.

Our driver was very friendly, and only too happy to point out the sights along the way. The bus was comfortable and air-conditioned, so the ride was really no big deal. Contrary to other postings, I did not find the road to be bumpy or uncomfortable.

We arrived at the resort at the same time as many other people. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Rather than going to a check-in desk, you are escorted to the open air "great room" and given cold, fragrant towels and fruit punch. The towels were great, because it was extremely hot and humid. We arrived early in the afternoon, and check-in is not until 3, so our rooms were not ready. We were invited to go for lunch at the Mill, which is the buffet restaurant, and we were given the use of changing rooms. I STRONGLY recommend packing some beach stuff in your carry-on. I should note here that everything at Beaches is open air except for two restaurants which require reservations, and the guest rooms.

We finally got into our rooms at about 3:30, to find the second disappointment: a handicap accessible room (or, as they call it at Beaches, "physically challenged") is distinguishable from a regular room only by the ramp in front, which in our case was a makeshift wooden ramp. A few days later, I had the occasion to meet the general manager. I told him that the "physically challenged" room was in name only. He was quite open to suggestions, and told me that Beaches was going to be renovating to make these rooms truly accessible. He also told me that the staff at the Kids Kamp had been given disability training so that they could provide one-on-one care for children with disabilities. I wish they'd had that when my daughter was little! What a great benefit for families with a disabled child. My sense is that any accessibility problems come from a lack of being educated on the subject.

The property: The resort is beautiful, and constantly being cleaned, groomed and maintained. Contrary to other reviews I've seen here, I found everything to be clean and well-maintained. It's set up almost like a village, with different paths leading to the beach, pools, common areas, etc. We had no trouble finding easy ways to get a wheelchair to the pool and beach. I definitely recommend bringing some type of bug spray. It rained a lot, and there were a lot of mosquitos, all of which found their way to my legs.

Restaurants: The resort has 4 restaurants, as well as a "piazza" area, where you can get sandwiches, pizza, pasta, ice cream, pop corn and sodas. Both pools have swim-up bars, which are great. I had read previous reviews which recommended making reservations at Teppanyaki, and I agree. You generally have to make the reservations 2 days out, and it's worth it. First of all, it's air-conditioned, second, the food is good, and third, it's really fun - the chefs put on a great show while cooking the food, and the whole evening was very entertaining. The Mill is the buffet, and you can eat all 3 meals there. I think all buffet food is limited by having to sit around in warming trays. There seems to be a real effort to provide variety and choices, although I was disappointed in the salad bar. The Last Chance Saloon is full service in the evening, providing nominally Tex-Mex, and it doubles as the "Beach Grill" at lunchtime. At dinner, the service was great, and the food pretty good. The Seville is the adults-only restaurant with a dress code. We couldn't go there because it's up a flight of steps; however, we were talking in passing with one of the managers at the Mill one evening, and she said they'd be happy to accomodate us by bringing Seville food down to the Mill. We had a fabulous waiter, and the food was really good.

Activities: the pools are great, and very clean. I've seen some comments that they were dirty by the end of the day - I disagree. As a pool owner, I can tell you that it's impossible to keep a pool constantly impeccable in the presence of bugs and sandy feet. Beaches certainly does its best. We loved the swim-up bars - even just for soft drinks. The beach is beautiful and the water is - well, it's the Caribbean! Besides just swimming, there's lot to do - and all included. Sailing in Hobie Cats, banana boats, water tricycles, and snorkeling. I highly recommend the banana boat - really a lot of fun. There are also people coming around giving jet ski rides (for a price) which I also highly recommend. The resort is very strict about outsiders - such as the jet ski guys - coming onto the property, and you have to sign out with a guard when you go with them. Consequently, I felt very safe, and had no problem with my son running all over by himself. The water park is not to be missed - 2 giant slides and a not-so-lazy river. We spent a lot of time on the lazy river, and had a great time. My 12 year old, needless to say, frequently visited the "X-box oasis". My only complaint here is that there were never enough towels - we found that you had to go out early in the morning, get your beach chairs, and a bunch of towels. Evening entertainment was basically a good argument for going to bed early, especially because the "Big Top", where it was held, was very hot. However, there's so much to do during the day that it's almost wasteful to stay out late. Another interesting point: we brought a beach wheelchair for my daughter. We were able to leave it by the beach at night, no problem. After a couple days, a staff member asked me about it and said the resort was interested in purchasing 2 (it's very cool - like a floating lounge chair). I gave her the website, and by that afternoon, when I met the manager, he had already checked it out on the web. They're definitely trying.

The Spa: I've been to a lot of spas, and this was the nicest one yet. The women there couldn't have been nicer, and the treatments were fabulous. Best of all, and unlike most other spas I've been to, there was no "hard sell" at the end of the treatment. We actually had to ask what they used and how we could buy it. A very refreshing and welcome change.

The staff: I really can't say enough good things about the staff. They are genuinely friendly and eager to please. If you asked for things to be fixed, it wasn't always done right away, but I think this is a cultural difference rather than a lack of caring. They all seem to work very hard. I was especially touched by their treatment of my daughter. Most people didn't seem to know much about disabilities, but they wanted to learn and asked me a lot of questions. They couldn't do enough for my daughter, and in addition, they were extremely kind to her. Truly lovely people.

Would I go again? Yes, but I think not in August.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2005

Before going on this trip, I tried as hard as possible to stay away from this site. I knew that there were a lot of negative reviews posted, but I didn't want to hear of it -- I wouldn't let it ruin my trip. Well, folks, it's been three weeks since I got home, and I still can't stop thinking about my vacation. I'm all about everyone having their own opinions, but for those who are reading terrible things about this resort and are having nightmares about their vacation-to-come, I say stop worrying and get excited!!

The rooms were nice except for some bug problems. But, this is a Jamaica. Tropical environments are filled with creep-crawlies, so expect that. They did all that they could to make it comfortable for us, but if you're antsy around insects (as we were), bring multiple cans of bug spray (it's really expensive if you buy it there!!), bathe in it, and sit back and enjoy.

The food I can't really comment on: I'm a vegetarian. But, the fish was generally good, although I'm a little fished-out after eating it constantly. There was more than enough food available all day, every day, so go there with moderation in mind. And the drinks were fabulous!! The bartenders were awesome and very personable. After a few days, some will get to know you and remember your drink preferences. For those who want to drink, but hate the taste of alcohol, I recommend the "Hummingbird." You won't find it on the drink signs, but they all know how to make it.

Also, a word about this ear infection epidemic. I am one of those people who got it. I had an external ear infection in both ears for the latter half of the trip. But that didn't stop me!! It was such a minor inconvenience for how much fun I was having. It hurt, sure, but you can't let it stop you. And FYI: THE POOLS WERE NOT DIRTY. As a medical student who did her research, I can tell you that external ear infections in environments such as these are not due to unsanitary pool conditions, it is due to the fact that many people who go to a resort in Jamaica spend almost all day in the pool. Most of us don't do this on a regular basis. So you come to Jamaica, your head is under the water for 4 hrs out of the day, and your ear doesn't react well, especially if you have a predisposing skin problem. It is not a reflection of the water quality, it is a result of your ears being in a new, harsh environment. Honestly, the pools were great. If you go to the nurse, the doctor will treat you, and it's gone in a few days.

This trip was absolutely fantastic. If you're nice to the staff, they'll treat you like gold. I can see how the staff could be rude if you're rude to them, but if you don't treat them like your servants, they'll enhance your experience tenfold. If you're about to go to Beaches, Negril, bring lots of sunscreen, bug spray, film/batteries (an underwater camera would have been great), and get ready to sit back, relax, and have the time of your life, no matter what the naysayers will tell you!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

We were a little scared about going to Beaches Negril because of some of the reviews we had read. Never fear, our fears were totally unnecessary.

We had an absolute fabulous time. We were able to go to our room about an hour after we got there, so we went and had some lunch. We had two rooms for all of us and they were very nice. During our weeks stay we had a few little problems with the toilet and the TV but they fixed them quickly and everything was fine afterwards.

The food was pretty good in most places. But if you didn't enjoy the food in one place you could easily go to another, because there were several eating places so that wasn't a problem.

We enjoyed the beach and the water sports. The pools were really nice with the swim up bars. The water park was really neat, especially the lazy river.

The shows were fun to watch even though it was very hot at night. Our family participated in some of the evening events and won some neat prizes along with 2 bottles of Jamaica's famous rum.

The staff at Beaches Negil were extremely nice and friendly to us. I don't understand any of the reviews saying they were rude because we did not meet any rude staff memebers. Everyone that worked there made our stay very enjoyable and we even made some friends amongst the staff that we are going to send some pictures to. We made some friends among the guests also.

As far as the weather, it was mostly very beautiful, but very hot and humid. We had a couple afternoon thunderstorms, but overall it was great!!

I would recommend this vacation to everyone! We had a wonderful time!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

As others have mentioned, after booking my trip, I discovered this website, and to my horror, read some really awful reviews. My family even became angry, because every day I would say uh oh I think we made a huge mistake. Well I was pleasantly surprised by the fantastic time we had the week of July 22-July 30. Everything from the busride(the driver took the time to point out various landmarks and educated some people on the finer points of reggae music)to the EASY checkin, the rooms(we were even upgraded), friendly service, great water sports, pools, and for the most part good food. I'm not a big fan of buffets but this one was pretty good for the most part, although the restaurants were much more to our liking. Our party consisted of me, my wife, our three daughters(23,19,&16), and our oldest daughter's fiance. The only thing I think they could improve on is the nightly entertainment. It is extremely hot in the big top(more and stronger fans would help) and the talent is a little weak, but we just packed it in earlier and enjoyed the beach and pools earlier. I highly recommend it, although it is pricey. The people who complain are either extremely picky or very unlucky. We had a great time and will remember it for years to come.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2005

Please bear in mind whilst reading this, the price people have to pay for a stay at Beaches Negil, and what you think the facilities should be like for the price.
myself, family and friends, 4 adulsts and 4 children in total, have within the last few days, returned from 2 weeks at the resort, what follows, is an account of what I can recall of our trip, whilst not under the influence of the cocktails.
ARRIVAL.
There is an air conditioned lounge for use of Beaches and Sandals customers only, a very welcome relief. We were met by our smiling rep, as soon as we got through to arrivals, and were told that our bus maybe about half an hour but to make full use of the lounge (nice cold drinks). Within 2 minutes, a man in uniform wearing a red had, we presumed to be the driver, told us we had to go now, our bus was ready, and to bring a drink with us. This man turned out to be a baggage handler, who carried your cases just outside of the airport to be paid. Once outside the airport, you cannot get back into the lounge, we were then left in the heat for about 45 minutes waiting for a bus. My advise to you would be, tell this bloke in a red hat to @#*^*@'#~, or please wait till collected by your rep, coz its warm out there. When we did get a bus, the driver was cheerful, in fact, I think it was Damen Hill, because the journey only took about 1hr 15mins. Our checkin wasnt that painfull, there was no queueing, you were ushered into a relaxing lounge where you were asked to fill out a couple of forms, drinks were provided, your keys were then brought to you, with an explanation of how much each one cost if you lost them. We were in our rooms within 45 mins of arrival at the hotel.
THE ROOM (DELUX)
Perhaps they didn`t know how to spell very basic. Two beds, 3 drawers, one shelf, one clothes rail and one shoe rack. The sink had seen better days, it had quite a few cracks in it and the metal soap holder was broken. We arrived late at night and just wanted to unpack and sleep, otherwise we may have complained, but really, how much time do you intend spending in your room, sleeping, changing and showering. The TV was good though, always something to watch while the blokes wait for the women to get ready. There was a card in your room, to leave on you bed, if you required your sheets changing, if you wanted your towels changed, you had to leave them in the bath. Very Butlins.
HOLIDAY (OVERVIEW)
Please remember, this is Jamaica, they work at a slightly slower pace than most of the worl, therefore, restaurant tables may not get cleaned as soon as you get up, get used to it. Its the pace of life, whats the point of getting irate at them, and calling them stupid people, as I heard one person say. I`m also embarrassed to admit she was British.
Can`t say much about the pools, the only reason this was used was to shelter on most afternoons from the torrential rains, at the swim up bars, which were under shelter. Why go all that way and not make the most of the beautifully warm sea.
Two slides, one open, the other in a closed tube and fast, one lazy river, very lazy indeed, but nice and relaxing. There is a hight limit for the slides and it is quite rigidly enforced by most of the lifeguards. One American had an arguement with a lifeguard who refused to let his son on the slide as he had been on it with a previous lifeguard, he took his name and threatened to report him to the manager. Im sure he would have been reprting a lifeguard to the manager if he had been allowed on and had had an accident.
DAYTIME ENTERTAINMENT
There are things going on all day, some you will like, some you wont, just pick and choose and you could have a complete day of activity if you wish. There is even a tennis pro, private lessons and clinics. I went to the beginners clinic, myself and mate were the only ones there, great for us, but what a waste.
COCKTAILS
Whatever you want, they will make it for you, tell them what you like and they will make something with that in it. I love coconut rum, they made me something different each time, that is until they made me a BBC, trust me, get one.
EVENING ENTERTAINMEN
Pants. As I said, this is geared for Americans, so on "Name that tune", you had better study who Jimmy Buffit is and his songs if you want to answer anything. The Safari bar was where we found ourselves most nights, either with a Karaoki or singalong with the resident pianist, however, this was over by midnight.
The staff all have nametags, use their names, it helps at the bars, ha ha, its also amazing how many remember your name, what memories they must have.
My two kids and the two who came with our friends, all aged between 14-17, all hung out with various staff who were amazingly friendly. I cant believe the whole island could be that friendly, oh yeh, the lady at the checkin desk at the airport, ok, not all that friendly then.
FOOD
We had heard mixed reviews from this site on the food, but I cant see what the problem is, loads of it and loads of choise, never had so many steaks. The Seville, is the fine dining restaurant, there is a dress code, so please observe it otherwise they will not permit you to eat there. The Mill is the buffet restaurant, breakfast is a bit strange for us Brits but we got over it. There is always something there to fill the gap, try the kids corner.
Texmex, nice but the service went downhill after a while.
OVERALL
There is plenty of potential for fun, its what you make it, that being said though, it certainly isnt worth the money. The staff are great, polite and friendly, and now on my return, I cant stop saying Yeh Mon.
As I said, the whole holiday is geared around Americans, therefore, the hotel is full of them. The main difference between us and them is they say"I want", we say, "Please can I have", followed by a thankyou, something a bit alien to some. This is just a generalisation, so dont take offece if you were one of the many polite Americans we met there.
TIPS
Take a mosquito spray for your room, otherwise you will get eaten alive.
No need to take your own towels for the beache, a skip load is brought out about 7.30 am.
Hope you have a good time. WE DID.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!