“Awesome Vacation!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
“Awesome Vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband, two daughters (ages 10yo and 14yo) and myself were at Beaches Negril Sunday 6/16/13 - Thursday 6/20/13. Our vacation started a little rough. The ride from the airport is quite an experience, and the check-in process seemed quite confusing. We were asked to sit in the main waiting room, and when no one came for us we finally were lead to the Concierge waiting room as we had booked that class of room. They sent us to lunch at the Mill (which was delicious!) as our room was not ready. After lunch, our room still wasn't ready. Finally we were brought to a room, which wasn't the class of room I had booked. Our concierge kept saying "no worries" when I expressed my concern, but didn't offer the room we had booked. (We had a standard room with two double beds on the ground floor, not the king size bed with pull-out couch and rollaway for the kids on the third floor.) Not wanting to start our vacation off complaining, I let it go. I was also disappointed that the concierge service does not schedule scuba diving, and it was a struggle to obtain reservations for the two higher-class restaurants (Kimonos and The Venetian). I did, however, get the reservations, but do not feel I would have if I didn't push the matter. All of that being said, we had a great vacation! The beach was beautiful! The resort is very "Disney-like" in it's upkeep, with gorgeous grounds to enjoy. The staff (with the exception of our concierge perhaps) worked tirelessly to assure we had a good time. When I mentioned my concerns to Dwayne (restaurant manager) when he stopped by at lunch to ask about how our vacation was going, he apologized for the inconvenience, sent us a bottle of champagne at dinner and had a $240 credit placed on our account. At no time during our stay did I feel unsafe on the resort. There are people selling jet ski rides and jewelry on the beach, but they stopped offering if you said no. Security on the beach often followed them down the beach to assure they were not bothering anyone. I did have a massage with "Mona Lisa" a couple hundred feet from the Beaches beach. The security guard had me "sign out", and stated if I had any trouble he would be there to assist. The massage was great, but lasted much longer than we had agreed upon, and therefore cost me more money than we had agreed upon ($40 instead of the $25 she had advertised). The resort was safe enough that I was able to let my 10yo daughter be at the waterpark when I was at the beach. Although I never officially brought her to the kids camp, the staff is out and about engaging the children and involving them in activities. We did an off-site trip to Rick's Cafe to see the cliff divers - very fun! This was the only place I smelled marijuana being smoked - at no other time were we offered or smelled pot. The entertainment staff is amazing, and we saw some great shows ( a Jamacain dance group, talent show, circus) during our stay. We also watched a movie on the beach! The food and drink were great and plentiful - we never went hungry or without a filled glass from the bar. Loved the fish tacos at Arizona's, the scallop kabobs at Stewfish, the risotto at the Venetian and the fabulous breakfast buffet at the Mill. Omelets made to order, belgian waffles, lots of local fruit and food to try! It was all yummy - no complaints at all about the food! Drinks were great as well - the bartenders aim to please! My husband and daughter were able to scuba dive 1-2 times per day - just be aware you must sign-up first thing in the morning for the next day at the dive shop. We also enjoyed the glass-bottom boat and snorkeling, as well as the kyak and the wildcat rides! The weather was great (two rain showers that passed quickly). We came home with many bug bites (we had spray, but still came home with multiple bites). More importantly, we came home with great memories that will last a lifetime. We hope to return again soon. The good definitely outweighed the bad! Early mornings there are so peaceful - you have the beach to youself! Go and enjoy - not one time did the place feel too crowded....always enough space, enough beach chairs, enough shade. (Beach towels do go quickly - grab them in the morning!) Did I mention we want to go back???:)

Room Tip: We stayed in the 900 block of the Montpelier building. You can hear music from the Couples Resort n...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Polish first
East Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

After 7 visits to Sandals properties in recent years, this was our first visit to a Beaches resort with out 1 year old daughter - we were not disappointed. We felt the resort had the right balance between families and couples, in fact there was a slightly more relaxed atmosphere around the place than our recent Sandals trips. From the very first day we were treated like we were the only people in the resort and the staff bent over backwards to accomodate us, especially our daughter, where they greeted her by name every time they saw her . We had an Ocean front room where we were close to all the Entertainment and Restaurants - our favourite restaurants were The Venetian and Stewfish, where you can book an early dinner and watch the sun go down. Stand out staff members were Stephanie (Stewfish) and June (pool bar/beach) The resort shop also had little sales on where they offered 20% and 25% discounts on certain days, which bought the price of the Sesame Street characters down considerably, especially as i had to buy 6 in the end for my daughter in the end!! The only negative we had is the beach sellers - we appreciate that they need to make a living, but found them constantly trying to sell us something, whether it be a conch shell, hat or a ring made out of telephone wire!! - sometimes approaching my 1 year old and trying to get to us that way, which we found annoying and intruding. But all in all a great family holiday was had at Beaches Negril and we would definitely return one day. PS - check out the Cafe De Paris where your get a nice Cappuccino and a wide selection of mini cakes, crepes and ice creams - BEAUTIFUL!!

Room Tip: If you can go for an Ocean front concierge room.
Houma, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Beaches Negril was a great experience, as all of the Sandals/Beaches properties have been. I requested as surprise proposal for my wife when we arrived. I asked that the front desk tell us that our room was canceled and there were no rooms available. And that they take me to another room to discuss. They brought my wife in several minutes later and I proposed to her again with a new ring. This all went great and Beaches made it very special for us. We got re-married and renewed our vows on the morning after our arrival on the beach with our 2 children, then had a lovely reception. Then we had a candlelight dinner on the beach that afternoon. Our kids loved every part of their first Jamaica/Sandals experience. Everything was fantastic!

Thanks again Beaches Negril!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Negril Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
We're so delighted to hear of your wonderful experience at Beaches Negril. It was truly an honor to have the opportunity to be a part of such a special moment in your lives and such an awesome surprise for your wife. I'm so happy that we were able to make your stay romantic and enjoyable.

Thank you so much for your review.

We hope to see you all back for another great stay!

Cassie C.
LA, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Second time at beaches, first time Negril.
Great time as before, room ok but too small for 2 adults and 2 kids but roll away bed works ok.
Food first rate, drinks not watered down and young kids have great time at the pool. Weather nice if a few thunderstorms that are normal for Caribbean. Pricey but if you dive and use the kids club and like cocktails then it is actually pretty good value for money.
You can always find some picky things to complain about but we have had 2 great family vacations at Beaches Jamaics and have already put down a deposit for next year.

• Stayed May 2013
Discovery Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Beaches Negril exceeded my expectations. The Staff is what makes this place fabulous. I love the over all feeling at the resort. The Paris Cafe has a fantastic latte & banana bread. The Stew Fish is AWESOME!!!! has the best atmosphere! The staff in AM Troy & Diane...wonderful! Troy introduced me to the Jamaican juice sorrel...fantastic! The Fritatta was fabulous, plus Troy gave me one of his mangos, a julie mango, it was awesome! The dinners are wonderful, mango shrimp super yummy. The Coconut Cake for dessert was the best thing ever (want the reciepe!) Lesmore our waiter was so cool! I was hungry for coconut shrimp & the mill? special ordered & made it for me. The pizza place was great & BBQ was fabulous! Winston was awesome! I really did more than eat!
Our neighbors got married there on the beach, such a beautiful wedding & fabulous photographers. We met a great family from New York that has a little girl that made friends with our daughter, which made the trip even more enjoyable for my daughter.The pools are great, the water slides & lazy river. My daughter was in heaven! Mee too!
The beach was my favorite of course! Onesia with the kid's club activities on the beach...sweetest gal ever! The venders on the beach, the guy the paints bottles, shells & rocks...he painted my coconut after I drank the rum from it! He is the nicest guy ever! Next to him was a guy that made beautiful carvings, of course I bought some! Pictures to follow. I just really loved it here at Beaches Negril in Jamaica & will be back after I save enough money to return. Again,the staff is what makes this place spectacular! =)

Room Tip: ROOM #317 quiet & nice...close to the food area, gym, water slide & beach! Awesome!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The service was amazing, facilities were clean and beautiful. We went there for a wedding and had an amazing time. As a bridesmaid and sister of the groom, you could not have asked for a better wedding coordinator. They were very attentive and made the wedding go off without a hitch, even after a rain delay.

Just remember if you are coming from the US, they are on Jamaican time, which is much slower than American time. The service at resturaunts, etc. is much slower than you would experience in the US.

If you do go to Rick's and cliff dive, beware. I have a leg of huge bruises from landing wrong.

Don't forget your bug spray though. The mosquitoes are horrible, (not beaches fault).

If I had one complaint it is that the food is only so so. I was not overly impressed. It was not horrible, however, it was not great. The best resturaunt was Kimono's by far.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone! Don't know if I'll go back to this one in particular, only because I'm keen to see the other Sandals resorts in the Carribean.

St Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our third trip to Beaches Negril. Our son was married there in 2005 and now with two children, Chase 6 and Rylee 4, it was time to return and let the kids (our grandkids) enjoy Beaches. And we weren't disappointed. The facility was just as clean and neat as we remembered it. The food was good and the service superb! From check in to check out, our every need was tended to by an great staff. We were especially pleased to meet Adrian Whitehead, the general manager and his management staff during the Rum tasting event. I have to mention our two favorite people -- Michael the chef who made fabulous omelets every morning and Dwayne the manager of the Arizona, our favorite restaurant. We'll be back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!