“Wonderful vacation! Info on kids camp and infants -” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$305 Spa/Tour Credit!!
Ranked #10 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Phoenix, Arizona
“Wonderful vacation! Info on kids camp and infants -”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

We just returned from a family wedding at Sandals and Beaches Negril. Part of the family sans children stayed at Sandals Negril but ended up spending most of the day at Beaches because it was just more fun. More people, more to do, the water park, etc. We loved every aspect of it and I mainly wanted to comment about the kids program and traveling with a car seat for the baby. We traveled with our 4 month old and 4 year old girls and weren't sure what to expect for the baby. I didn't find much in the way of reviews here for the very little ones.

We were very pleased with the infant care she received at the program. The nursery was clean with new looking cribs and activity items. (Being in the industry, the cribs were Foundations commercial cribs, and were quite nice. Our crib in our room was also Foundations, but was older and could have used some tightening of the hardware.) Despite the resort being full, most times she was the only baby in there and we could drop her by any time they were open (9am-9pm, closed an hour for lunch and dinner). We took her usually in the afternoon for a nap and left a bottle for a feeding afterward. The ladies were always thrilled to see her and we never once found her out of someone's arms unless she was sleeping. They let our older daughter come in and visit if she wanted to also.

We used the nanny service twice ($10/hr) for the times when the kids camp was closed for our children. The nanny was wonderful and took the girls to get dinner and see one of the Sesame Street shows. She was part of the kids program and our older daughter already knew her. Our kids are pretty easy going so I don't think they gave the nanny much of a challenge but we were happy nonetheless.

The few times I did happen upon the kids of older age groups at the kids camp (5-6, 7-8ish), they seemed a little bored, with the staff doing most of the craft or activity work that they were supposed to be doing. Our 4 year old had a fabulous time though and wanted to go to pretty much every activity, every day. The Sesame Street theme was a big hit for her. Most of the Sesame activities at the camp were done in the 3-4 year age group only. The older kids had more pool time activities and other things planned that didn't revolve around Sesame Street.

I also couldn't decide on taking a stroller, carrier, car seat, etc, on the trip for the baby. We ended up taking a small convertible Britax Roundabout car seat and a Go Go Kidz Travelmate for the airports and checking our stroller as luggage. We were fortunate on one of our 6 flights to have an empty seat and be allowed to bring our car seat on board for the unticketed baby, otherwise we just gate checked it. That worked out pretty well for us. The best part was not having to hold her as we stood in endless security and customs lines, where we didn't have our checked stroller. We were able to use the car seat on both of the 1.5 hour bus rides to and from the airport. It depends on how many people arrive and depart that are going to the resort the same time you are, for what you get as a vehicle. We had a small bus-type vehicle the first trip and a large 50-passenger coach on the return. Most of the lap belts worked and we were able to finagle the car seat to fit in both vehicles. Again we were grateful not to have to hold her on the bus rides since we'd just spent about 8 hours flying and holding her.

We also took a soft front pack carrier that we used quite a bit instead of the stroller. The resort is accessible for the most part but there are no elevators. We did have a ground floor room with ramps and an enormous bathroom though. I'm not sure if it was luck of the draw or they saw we had a baby on our reservation, but we did not request it but are glad it's what we got. Hauling our big stroller up and down 3 flights of stairs would've been a total pain and we probably wouldn't have used it much. I'd just take an umbrella stroller next time. We only used the stroller mostly during restaurant trips since she couldn't sit up on her own yet in a high chair and we didn't want to hold her. Otherwise it was parked in our room and we used the soft carrier.

A note on the wi-fi, it's $42.99/wk which I thought was ridiculous since we just spent several thousand dollars on the room, but if you have friends in other rooms, only one of you has to pay for it. You can use the login code on multiple devices.

Room Tip: We loved the ground floor in the 500 block.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Polish first
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

This is our first trip to Negril and third to a Beaches resort. We chose to stay at a Beaches resort because of their impecable reputation. Cleanliness, food, entertainment, and overall comforts the resort provide for a family vacation. Last year we vacationed in Dominican Rep. at a well recommended resort and we were very disappointed so we decided to "soon come back" to Beaches. Please if you are dissatisified whatsoever do speak to someone as they will do their best to accomodate you .. they want your stay memorable.. and cant rectify a problem unless you say something.
Heart felt thanks to G.M. Andre Danpaul , never too busy to say hello.. his well trained ,polite staff reflects the good job he is doing ..Head Chef, Mija who was so thoughtful getting my favorite fruit to me each time he saw me..Daniella , the sweetest , kindest, gently person ever..She went out of her way to accomodate us. Thanks Daniella Kerry, thanks for keeping the refridgerator stocked never failing to bring me what we want.. really appreciate all you do .Julian, (house keeping) for a wonderful house keeping staff too many to mention ..rooms were always impecably cleaned..Knightly, you greeted us so warmly when we got off the bus and never forgot our names until the last day...Oshane, thanks for the tour great job.. . great entertainer as well.. Orlando , (groundsman) thanks for sharing your umbrella with me..it was out of your way and you even left your umbrella with me ... Errol Campbell, thanks for the sandwiches they were great and much appreciated..besides you were a delight ...Nicoy the fitness trainer is very knowledgeable indeed..thanks for all the tips..Our grandson really enjoyed his scuba diving lessons with a fantastic guy Glenville. . The water works guys were great so is the manager..Austin also enjoyed the entertainment team as well as the Kimona restaurant ..the guys really put on a great show in the Kimona restaurant... thanks guys. The interns, Valerie, Victor Kim and Emily..nice kids I especially love to see Valerie each morning she was such a delight..Nordia (stew fish) was so friendly ..I loved talking to her..Yamiflex (nurse) you were so compassionate so happy my husband spoke to you because he took your advice and it helped him lots...Thanks again for a wonderful vacation.. We are looking forward to another wonderful vacation next year.. Beaches Resorts here I come next year "SOON COME BACK'..someone please call me if you read this....boo hoo

Room Tip: yes bug spray ..sand flies
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Great for families although there is some late night partying, which is loud. Water slide and Lazy River are great and pool area is within steps of beautiful beach & ocean.

Plenty of food. Room fridge stocked with drinks daily. Snorkel trips, Water skiing all included. They allow some Jamaicans to peddle their ware, but not too much. Many people were buying the bracelets, conch shells and other souvenirs that were being sold along the beach.

The staff are nice and very attentive to children. My 6 year old and 10 year old participated in their kids camp activities and had lots of fun!

Bring insect repellent!

Kalida, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We went to the Beaches Negril resort from May 28 through June 2nd. My husband and I brought our two daughters ages 9 and 12. After reading alot of the reviews on this site, we were a little worried about the age and condition of this resort, but when we arrived all fears went out the window. The place is an older resort, but it is very well maintained and very clean. There are people always working to make the place look nice. When we arrived at the airport, we easily found the Sandals/Beaches lobby and grabbed a refreshment. Within 5 minutes we were escorted to a bus and our luggage was loaded and we were on our way to the resort. The trip from the airport to the resort took about 1 1/2 hrs but our driver stopped off about 1/2 way for a bathroom break and refreshment. Can't say that I minded the drive to and from the airport - just spent the time taking in the sights of the island. When we arrived at Beaches, we were greeted by the Sesame Characters and cold towels and refreshments. The check in process was very quick and simple and within a few minutes we were taken to our room and our bags quickly followed. The layout of the resort is a little bit hard to get used to, but after just a day we found our way around just fine. On the way to our room we ran into Jermaine, one of the activity directors who gave us a quick tour of the grounds - which was very helpful. We found all of the people that work there extremely helpful and sooo nice. Several of them asked if we had any questions or if we were doing all right on our first day. On our first night there we were exhausted and just ate at the Mill, main buffet restaurant. We ate breakfast there every morning as well. The food there was good - pretty much your standard buffet style restaurant. We pretty much ate at all the restaurants at the resort, which would account for the extra 5 lbs I brought home. :)
Kimonos - reservations required - there is a lady in the hall way to the Mill that takes reservations in the morning from 9 am -Noon everyday. We had no problems getting reservations to Kimonos or Stewfish (which were the only ones that required reservations). Kimonos was very good. I love sushi and would have loved to see more sushi on the menu, but it was more about the performance. Very talented group of singers that work at Kimonos. Chefs were very fun and the kids loved it. Food was also really tasty.
Stewfish - Seafood on the Beach. We all had the Red Snapper dish here and it was very good. We made reservations right at 6:30 and the sunset view on the beach was AMAZING. We loved this experience. Only thing didn't love is the mosquito bites we recvd on the beach. Not a big deal - but spray your feet with bug spray before going there. Again Food was amazing here.
Arizona - HUGE steak dinner here - food was good - no reservations needed.
Seville - No reservations needed here - just first come first serve. We walked in right away and were seated. The resort website said that men had to wear dress pants and dress shoes - but I didn't see anyone there in that attire - just beach casual. Food was very good at the Seville as well. I had lamb chops because I am not a big pasta person - and they were delicious.
Pizza - My daughter frequented this place all week long - loved the pizza there - very yummy. On the menu they have specific pizzas with asst toppings - but they let you basically have whatever you want on the pizza. It always tasted really yummy poolside....
Ice Cream pool side - They also have soft self serve ice cream machines pool side ( by Arizonas). This is a very popular treat as they had choc, vanilla and strawberry and mix of each. Then in the afternoon they would bring out soft cookies for you to make a sandwich. Yum yum.
Spa - My husband and I both got a 50 minute massage on the beach and I must say it was amazing. It was a big highlight of my trip.
Hair Braids - Both my daughters also got their hair braided. If you want your hair braids - go down to the Resort spa and ask for Colleen. She is the best. She is such a sweet heart. Although it may be cheaper from the beach vendors - be careful - Had heard stories of people getting lice from the hair braiders on the beach. You won't have any of that with Collen. She is the best.
Beach - one word - AMAZING. The water is crystal clear and the sunsets here are like none I have ever seen. Awesome. There are indeed vendors on the beach trying to sell this and that. We never really had any problems with them. If you say no thank you - they don't really bother you. Plus there are guards on the beach making sure they don't hassle the guests too much. I can see where people may think they are a little annoying - but it didn't bother us. This is their way of life and any other Carribean island we have been on - there are typically vendors. It is just how they make a living.
Watersports - Went snorkeling twice, used water bikes and canoes. Snorkeling is very good. Went to 2 different spots and both times got to see alot.
Waterpark and Pools - Kids loved the water slides and pools. More activities were typically happening at the smaller pool by Arizonas
Entertainment - Great - Had a Sesame Street show every night and that was very enjoyable. The characters interact with guests all the time. Although our girls are a little out of the Sesame Street age - they loved the characters. Also had other shows every night of the week - which were very enjoyable.
Rooms - we were in the 500 building - it was a simple room with 2 double beds. After having been here - would not pay extra for a ocean view room. Lots of trees on the resort so not sure how anyone is getting a real clear view of the ocean. Our room was just fine. Very clean and good turndown service at night. If you want quiet - this is the room for you. It was extremely quiet and our building was right beside the watersport building - so if you dive it might be nice to request this building so you don't have to lug your equipment across the resort.
Fitness - we didn't use - but the fitness area is full of brand new fitness equipment.
Service - AMAZING - The people here are so friendly and want to make sure you have the best experience possible. We met so many nice people at the resort. It was amazing how many guests we saw hugging someone that worked at the resort when they were leaving. That says it all to me....
Photo - Although some people think it is unreasonable. We loved having the photo studio document our trip for us. We had our family portrait at sunset and they turned out great. They have several packages available to purchase if you want - or not. Didn't try to pressure you into anything. Just a service they offer in case you don't want to bother getting your own camera out.
Great experience - would love to go back!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

This is a great family resort. Plenty to do for the whole family, and the the Entertainment team was just fabulous. Thanks to Mona Lisa, Julene, Oshone, Kenroy, Domor and Jermaine the bartender, We were well taken care of. Even when it was just us showing up for the activities, they didn't cancel the activity, they made it fun. The kids loved the Dj Scratch Academy, Trenchtown, Xbox game lounge, and waterpark. The night shows were totally awesome, especially the drum band that played the first night we were there. The rooms were clean and well kept and housekeeping was very helpful and accomodating. We will definitely be booking another vacation with them.
My only suggestion: Couldn't find anything sweet to eat @ 1:00 am. The grill was open for burgers and fries, but no sweets. Maybe add a sweet shop or grill for us night owls.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011 via mobile

We stayed a week at beaches and wish we had stayed longer. I have 2 boys ages 13 and 11 and they absolutly loved everything about this resort. The staff was amazing, Jermaine S,Neja, Annakay,and Jermaine kept my boys entertained the whole week . The food was good,sometimes felt like you were eating same thing over and over but overall it was good. Best place to eat was Stewfish,Paulo does an excellent job. I can't say enough about the bartenders at the Bigtop, Adrian, Jermaine and Keneisha will keep you entertained and laughing the whole night.This is the best staff I have seen at a resort , they are all so friendly and always smiling. I will definitely be returning in the near future

• Stayed May 2011
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We were at Beaches Negril from 5/28 to 6/4. Myself, my husband, & my 16 yr.old. My son, daughter-in-law, & granddaughter stayed at Sandy Bay. The property is beautiful. The majority of the people are awesome. I only ran into two people at resort that were rude. The lady at the dive shop who needs another job, and the woman in charge of the spa who thinks she is better than everyone. We could all learn from these people how to have joy at all times. We had a beachfront room with a concierge. There is really NOT a beachfront room on this property. There is very few ocean view rooms on this property. Our room was very large and very nice. Air conditioning was minimal, and only two plugs in the entire room. No plugs in the huge bathroom. Our room was cleaned everyday and picked up again during turndown in the evening. She was great! We had good water pressure and good temperature. This is not a quiet get a way. It is very noisy everywhere. Party party party! The beach is beautiful! There is no bar service people on the beach, but plenty of bars. The pools are very nice and the two swim- up bars are nice. Opal is awesome always remembering your name. The watermark is very small but lots of fun. Everyone must wear a lifevest in the lazy river which can be a pain. All restaurant are good. Aerica in the mill and Arizona was great. Orindel at Stewfish was good and cute too. Nothing was fabulous but it was all good. We rented a cabana twice and it was awesome! Denisha waited oN us hand and foot with an actual foot massage. She served us drinks and lunch. In the afternoon we got cheese and fruit. I loved ever minute. We did a massage at the spa. It was very pricy. I got a hot shell massage. Probably the best I have had and I get one often. The beach activities that are not included are expensive. We did seadoo's, parasailing, and a trip to Marararitaville land Ricks. Our trip that day cost $20.00 per person (we had six). Lunch at Margaritaville was $160.00 for just nachos and burgers. my 16 year old was bored. She tried the teen club a few time but mainly 12 year olds there. Our last day she found some kids her age and she had fun. The teen cruise looked fun. It rained everyday. I only ruined one day for us. We loved the resort and the people. We will return one day. Ignore the bad reviews and just go!!!

Room Tip: Bring bug spray
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!