“What a beach!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril 167, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$305 Spa/Tour Credit!
Ranked #15 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Langley City, Canada
“What a beach!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

This was the first time my wife and I have tried a Sandals resort. We have been all over Mexico and the Carribean, Cuba and Dominican in the last 22 years. Lately we have been doing an all-inclusive for 1 week and then moving on to a B&B or a Boutique hotel for the second week. Always in January and we always try somewhere different. So this year we decided on 1 week in Negril and 1 week in Montego Bay, both at Sandals. Both spots are beautiful for sure with the white sugar sand and Turquoise waters. Negril is defineately a step above Montego Bay in location and quality of the Hotel. Montego Bay is beside the runway and you hear jets taking off constantly. Montego Bay is more like a compound that they don't want you to wander away from for safety. Negril you can walk for hours which is what we like to do. 2 Beaches resorts are close by and you can use them both if you stay at Sandals so we did and enjoyed that part. The only things that we didn't care for was the quality of the food which didn't seem to be up to par. Not saying it was bad or anything but just not great as advertised. The ala cartes were better but just marginally. The other thing seems to be the quality of the drinks. They appear to be giving you lots of alchol but......don't think so!.......watered down much!
Other than that......absolutely awesome people on staff there. Rooms are quite nice at both spots but the A/C is noisy at night. Whatever you do don't get sucked in to going to Rick's cafe for dinner. It's just bad!.....we felt so ripped off. Apparently in the afternoon, the diving and appetizers are good. But avoid dinner or you will be sorry.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Greek first
Campbellsville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed in Sandal's Negril for our honeymoon and had a great time. We stayed in the Penthouse Crystal Lagoon Suites. The suite was exactly as pictured and described. The suite comes with a butler that will take care of your every needs. We had Basil most of the trip and he would take care of everything from arranging dinner reservations to water activities for us. The restaurants at the resort are great and are favorite was Kimonos. We ate there three times during our stay. We received spa credit for our trip and had an excellent couples massage. If you have the chance to go I highly recommend staying at this resort and staying in a suite with a butler. Thanks for a great time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Arriving in Jamaica, there's a sandals lounge in the airport. Right away you can start your vacation with free Red Stripe. Then we got on the shuttle to the resort, it's an hour and a half drive. While it's a pleasant ride, it is a little far after you've already traveled on the plane. We got into our room right away which was clean, but not as nice as the other rooms we've had when we went to the Sandals Royal Bahamian in the Bahamas. Seeing as this was our third sandals visit we figured we'd get a better room, but no such luck. We were in one of the cottages right by the main road. We could definitely hear the cars driving by which isn't so great if you're a light sleeper. The weather was so gorgeous, you couldn't find better. It was 85 every day with sunshine and a slight breeze to cool you off. The beach is fabulous too, soft white sand that feels great on your feet. The water is crystal clear and warm. My fiance and I took a kayak out for free to check out the coast line. You can also go tubing, waterskiing, sailing, or water biking for free. There's also scuba lessons available. Fiance and I also paid for a booze cruise on a catamaran which takes you out from 3 to 7pm. We went to Rick's cafe where you can go cliff diving or have a drink. We jumped off the boat and swam while others went for a drink. The staff on the boat keeps the party moving and are a lot of fun. We would highly recommend it. You can drink all you want, the music is loud, and you get to see a beautiful sunset. As for the food, it depends on which restaurants you eat at. The first night we ate at Dinos, the Italian restaurant which really wasn't very good. I have to say I'm a bit spoiled though with Italian food as my mom is right from Italy. The asian restaurant Kimonos is the best. It's a definite must go and you have to make your reservations early in your trip. The bayside is the best for breakfast. You can get anything you want from eggs, to omlets, to pancakes, to yogurt, cereal, smoothies, etc. There's a pizza place for lunch or mid afternoon snack. There's a beach grill which made great grilled cheese among other things. The drinks flow freely every where you go. The only thing I would complain about is that they're definitely on "island time." We went to the sit down breakfast place on our last day and sat for an hour. I asked the waitress if our food was coming soon. She said that everything was made to order so it would still be a while. We were so upset since it was cutting into valueable beach time. So, we got up and left. The seafood restaurant was great. The grilled tuna is a must. But again, they're also very slow. But, you get to sit outside with your feet in the sand for dinner. Overall it was a good trip. I don't think I'd go back just because it's far from the airport, but it was definitely a good experience. I love sandals and look forward to checking out their other resorts.

Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

I chose this resort for my wedding so we also had 12 guests staying here with us. The resort itself is absolutely gorgeous and the beach is great. There was a hurricane in October so they had to restore the beach, which caused a sulfer smell (from dieing seaweed) to rise when we stepped in the ocean. It was'nt unbearable & since the pools(very small) were too cold to enter, the ocean was the only source of relief from the heat.
I had previously stayed at Sandals Ocho Rios, so I was expecting the same type of authentic Jamaican partying & atmoshpere that the playmakers create there, but I was dissapointed. This resort is much more reserved & the music & dancing is scaled back. They have a piano bar w/ a DJ starting every night @ 10, but they mostly play music from the 90's & early 2000's. I was told that management controls what songs they are allowed to play & the only reggae you will hear is Sean Paul, Shaggy, & Beanie Man. The playmakers don't join the guests on the dance floor or encourage dancing so if the resort has mostly older guests your out of luck.
Since the beach isn't private, there are drug dealers but they don't harass you nearly as much as the resorts photographers! I found them to be extremely bothersome & pushy. It was also annoying to constantly hear the same sales pitch after every show. They try to get you to book your next Sandals vacation while you're there.
The wedding process was a little stressful. This is an all-inclusive resort, yet they wanted me to pay$25 per guest for cake & appetizers and $50 per guest to have a private reception dinner. Mind you, my guests were staying at this resort so their meals & drinks were included. I opted out of both of these choices since I felt it was rediculous & a money making gimmick. They actually cut 4 pieces of cake during the champagne toast & took my cake(which was included) back to my room! For the reception dinner, my party of 14 was able to eat at Dinos & I brought the cake & had it cut for dessert. Everything ended up working out in the end and all of my guests thought the wedding was beautiful.
Overall, everyone had a great time & I would reccommend this resort if you are looking for a romantic, relaxing time. Skip this resort if you want an authentic, high energy, entertaining Jamaican experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

The Butler service was wonderful and our Butlers in particular (Butler Sean and Butler Denato) were amazing. They added that "extra special something" to our trip which will definitely make me want to come back. The scuba team was also great and I haven't ever had such a witty and entertaining group of underwater guides before. Special shout-out to Josh, Capt. Hook and Lil' Wayne ... you guys rock.

Thanks to Sandals for a wonderful trip.

Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

We had a wonderful vacation at Sandals Negril. The staff made it a point to always ask how your stay is and say welcome home. I truly felt at home there. The snorkling trips were awesome with Smiley, DT, and Toby. I miss them already!! The Catamaran cruise to Rick's was the best. I didn't want to get off the boat! Rusty and the crew Rock!! The playmakers were a lot of fun too! Always getting my husband and I involved in their pool side games. Silly Willy and the gang are a hoot! The entertainment each night was awesome as well. We really enjoyed the steel drums and fire fox! The games at the beach party were too fun! What a great way to meet new friends and just have fun! We have already booked our trip for next year! We can't wait to get "back home"!

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Negril for 9 nights for our honeymoon in December. We have travelled to many placed across the world and therefore have high standards when it comes to hotels, so do take a critical view.

Unfortunately the reviews about the standard of the rooms are true. We booked a honeymoon beach front concierge room - which was completely unacceptable. Even when it was new (its really old now) it would not have fallen into the luxury category and was probably about 2 star. It was small, run down and nothing like the website so don't be fooled! I went back to the concierge and we were moved to a junior beachfront suite - this was considerably better than the original room - but the downside was being metres away from the piano bar which stays open until 3am.... oh and nobody plays the piano in the "piano bar"... expect loud DJ's until 3am... followed by kicking out time and noise as guests find their bay back to their rooms. We didn't get much sleep but by night 4-5 worked out if we kept the air conditioning on all night on full blast it masked the noise. Also worth noting that the hotel is on a really busy road and cars and bikes speed past all night - are room was also metres away from this. So it wasn't relaxing day or night.

The food ranged from good to poor - once you find your feet you can work out the better places - for us this was the Italian restaurant (Dinos) and the seafood restaurant on the beach. The service in the restaurants ranged from excellent to terrible... there wasn't much consistency unfortunately.

The concierge service in my opinion is a waste of money. The only real perk was the bottled water and the beer in the minibar - the spirits were local and the bottles were topped up which can't be the most hygienic. The room service was ok but with better choice in the restaurants it really wasn't necessary. We didn't have butler service... and apart from getting a better spec room (at a cost) we wouldn't have wanted this either. If you like to "do your own thing" on holiday then you probably wouldn't want it. But if you like to be waited on hand on foot dawn until dusk you would probably love it!

What this resort does do well is the water sports - these are all included and are excellent. We did a scuba course and this was superb- all the people in the dive centre were really brilliant (Josh requires a special mention) and really make this a great place.

The other thing that Sandals Negril has right is the friendly service everyone is happy and this creates a really great atmosphere.

So on balance unfortunately (apart from the diving which was first class) this wasn't really the place for us. If you want luxury then this isn't the place for you - it'd put it in the 3 star category and at the bottom of the list of hotels we have stayed in.

We also visited 2 other Sandals during our stay (Ocho Rios, Montego Bay) and on first impression these were worse than Sandals Negril.....

Those that rated it as 5 stars in my opinion love the "Sandals way" the playmakers, the entertainment the flowing alcohol and the food on tap. We prefer quality over quantity and to do our own thing on holiday so Sandals isn't for us......

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!