“Nice resort but pick room location carefully” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

You added Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril 167, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$335 Instant Air Credit!
Ranked #15 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Nice resort but pick room location carefully”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The property was very nice, including lots of beach space and swimming areas. The water was very warm and there was interesting things to see when snorkeling off the shore (starfish, jellyfish, blennies). The pools were clean and refreshing and lots of activities every day at the main pool. It was not crowded and there was plenty of space for everyone. We were upgraded to a butler suite but didn't really find a butler to add a lot to our stay. The biggest perk was having someone reserve chairs in the morning and bring drinks on demand. Our butler, SherryAnn, did put chocolates on our bed at night and decorated the bed with flowers and cutely folded towels. That was a very nice touch. We only found out after arriving that we were upgraded because our original room was under construction. The whole building was under construction and the noise during the day was tremendous. It was in the center of the resort by the beach so it was hard to escape from it. This should have been mentioned up front as it was very annoying on a relaxing week away.

We found the food to be fresh and plentiful. We are not picky eaters and are happy with the basics so keep in mind we are not hard to please. The breakfast buffet was delicious and had a fresh fruit smoothy bar. We did a couple days of diving and enjoyed it. We are avid divers and brought most of our own gear (we rented BCDs) so I can't speak to the equipment. Overall the dive masters were good and safety conscious but they went WAY too fast on the dives. You couldn't stop to look at anything without being left behind. With only fair visibility this means when you look up everyone is gone. This was okay with us because we are experienced but for a new diver this is extremely dangerous, and there were a lot of inexperienced divers on our boat. We heard divers complaining that they didn't see anything "cool" on the dives. Not a surprise because you didn't have time to do anything but swim after the DM. Requests to slow down were ignored. I highly recommend going on a snorkel trip as there is lots to see and it is at your own pace.

The major problem we had with our stay was our room location. The room was very nice, we were in a Sundowner Suite, and the bed was comfortable. Its location near the piano bar made it terrible for people who like to get to sleep at a decent time. We are not late night partiers but the DJ plays to 2am. Even with earplugs and a noise machine we could feel the bass vibrating the bed. Three nights we had to call and ask a manager to turn down the music. If you were standing near the bar you couldn't hold a conversation without shouting, so its not like the music couldn't be plenty loud without being heard in our rooms. The other end of the resort was very quiet at night (near the dive shop). If you like to party late, the Sundowner would be perfect. The rooms had shower products and bathrobes provided.

Bottom line: although the noise was a problem, we would return to this Sandals. We would stay in the rooms closer to the dive shop and get the concierge level service.

Room Tip: Rooms by the dive shop are much quieter. The piano bar has a DJ every night until 2am so all rooms i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Greek first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hello Trip Advisor Community.

I have been back from Sandals Negril for a few days now...just enough to be right a objective review of the place. I'll do this in a point form, to keep it clean and quickly readable.

BEFORE THE TRIP:

- First..some background info on the trip we were looking for:

Honeymoon in an all inclusive in the Caribbean (I am 32, my wife is 26, middle class Canadians)

- Why we picked Sandals Negril

Remote, Small resorts, intimate

- What we are afraid of:

Tropical Storms, Too crowded, the food.

DURING THE TRIP:

- Dates: Septembre 23rd to October 1st
- Room: honeymoon suite with Butler Service

The Hots:

CUSTOMER SERVICE is a priority for the staff at Sandals Negril...and it SHOWS...though every staff member was delicate, polite, involved and professional, here are those that stood out.

Christopher and Shernett - waiters at the Cocina Romana:
A1 for their white gloves services. They remembered our names and our preference from the second time we went there (4 times in all)

Shelly-Ann - waiter during a romantic diner on the beach:
Delicate service during a romantic diner. Enhanced the mood by being discrete yet present and ready to serve.

Edward the hotel manager -
A very present manager on site, talks to the customers and introduce his staff member. He is proud of his resort, and it shows. Has a very welcoming presence.

Theda and Craig, our Butlers
There are so many good things I could say about Theda and Craig...They turned a great trip into an extraordinary experience. They didn't wait for us to call them with demands, they were always one step ahead. Bringing us drink before we even asked, preparing afternoon snacks for us, setting up romantic tables during of night at restaurants, reserving our beach chairs, and the list goes on. Their human and friendly approach really charmed us...

BEACH

Great long stretch of white sand and turquoise water. Well kept and clean. Though the beach is long, it is very narrow, going from 15-20 feet to barely 5. What is nice about such a narrow beach is that you are always close to it.

POOL

3 pools - a main one with a swim up bar, lots of activities in this one. A second small one adjacent to a piano bar. More calm and very close to the ocean. The Third pool which leads to the swim-up suites. Even more remote.

WEATHER

Though the resort doesn't control the weather, the way they prepare for it shows their experience. A resume of our weather for the week: Sun from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thunder and sometime storm from 4. p.m. to 6 p.m., Sky clears for sunset and starlite night.

THE ROOMS: Honeymoon suite...perfect...high ceiling, clean and comfortable king size bed with white linen. Clean bathroom. Bar was kept full at all times, ice refreshed twice a day or on demand. Great balcony with terrific view of the sea.

EXCURSIONS:

(about 90$ US each/PP)
Catamaran Cruise: If you have a young crowd, its gonna be a hell of a party, like ours were.
Rafting on the Martha Brae River: Very romantic and soothing.

The Not-so hot:

POOL:
Though the pools are kept clean, I had to use the "strainer" once myself because of the large amount of leaves and dead bugs in the water.
CLIENTS:
Mostly (90% in the week we were there) above middle-class 40+ North-American. During the first few days though, lots of honeymooners, which freshened up the crowd.
RESORT SHOP:
Lots of variety, but as with most shop...very very expensive.

The Not Hot -

Nothing...

Sandals Negril offers a small environment for those who can afford it. Their service match the price that is paid for. The butler service is was really enhance our vacation, and if you are wondering if you should pay the extra cash for....YES...you should....

The sandals family does thing differently, and it shows.

I couldn't dream of a better honeymoon.

Thanks to Sandals Negril, Edward, Theda and Especially Craig for their outstanding job!

Damien & Julie

Room Tip: Suites...pay for the suites....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We're so happy that you had a spectacular stay at Sandals Negril. You enjoyed your well-appointed room, our gorgeous property & beach and the excellent service of our friendly staff. We can't wait to welcome you back for another amazing stay in the future!
Warner Robins, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Just came back from our trip to Sandals, Negril. Now always thinking, the Sandals franchise, this was the best. I saved our money for a dream vacation. We decided to go to Jamaica, this was a big disappointment. Now all was not horrible, but the rooms were luxurious, but had I know that ALL but 2 restaurants had no Air Conditioning, the weather is VERY HOT and HUMID, so eating and roasting and sweating was not my ideal setting. No one told us this nor did I ever read any reviews on this. The italian restaurant was nice, but still had to eat with the bugs biting us and we were so hot and sweaty that when the photographer wanted to take our pictures, I just couldn't do it because my make up was already sweated off. We had a great butler, Myron, who I would recommend, but when he had his days off, Neisha was not very helpful. Myron had our chairs out in the morning waiting for us and something strange that when Neisha was there, we didn't have chairs or she said someone took our names off the reserved chairs. Now the food, we love to experiment ever cuisine out there, we aren't considered picky people. But I actually lost weight, 3lbs, on our 8 day vacation. And the front desk staff is much to be desired. I had asked the clerk some things I needed to know on 3 different occasions with them ALWAYS referring me to my butler. Why do they not help us either? I got into an argument with her, only to have my butler call me to calm me down. I did see LOTS of great comments here, and was scared to see the bad ones. But I just ruled it as being such picky and unhappy people that are just malcontents. But I do know now that these bad comments are really true. I paid thousands of dollars to have an awesome vacation and a dream vacation, but was sorely disappointed. The only thing we loved was our room, we got the swim up room, very private and we stayed alot of our time in the rooms for the air conditioning it provided the whole property did not have. Please, believe ALL of these issues happened and Please save your money and do not go here. I'm telling everyone I know that this franchise is all a hoax. I surely wasted my money and caulk it up as a learning experience. Do not believe the HYPE, the time of our lives. Blah Blah Blah.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations.

We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This holiday was booked in feb 2013 and we went September 15th. To start off with and very importantly i have to mention the charming and extremely helpful Tembi Xavier the Sandals representative that advised and sold this holiday to us. After all this is where our Sandals experience started and from start to finish it was excellent. Yes there were some imperfections, some small hiccups but they were dealt with by charming "no problem Staff" with humour and efficiency.
Sandals Negril is a holiday resort in a beautiful location, at present being renovated but the management and staff will endeavour to offer you rooms that are not effected by the building works and we were not effected by them at all.
This hotel is beautiful, the food is exceptional and the service was faultless. For me the friends made with both guests and staff were unique to Sandals, i have never stayed anywhere like it before it is unique.
Unlike many hotels the management were very hands on and actively met greeted and found out how we were enjoying our holiday on a one to one basis. It makes a difference on all levels to us and clearly to the staff that work here. Thankyou Andre, Edward and Nana.

I would particularly like to mention two men who for me made this holiday exceptional. It was there care, there humour and their friendship that i will never forget offered without asking we were lucky to of spent some quality time with them both.

Travees Simpson who works on the Beaches Catamaran, who was charming and quite apart from coming to my rescue when i sank in the open sea with a life vest on, came to see us when he could and truly cares about the guests he meets its was a pleasure to of met him. He has a special heart and way, we saw him using sign language to talk to some guests and also helping those less able bodied with great skill and dignity.

Finally i mention our friend Captain Davian smiley, he runs the glass bottom boat trips , snorkel trips and some diving. I still hear his laughter. Smiley by name and smiley by nature, his unique enjoyment of life is infectious, i know a lot of guests will miss him none more than me. A true ambassador for Sandals.

Some facts that may help you, yes it does rain in Negril, not for long and there is far more sun than rain. All inclusive at sandals negril is first class, Drinks alcoholic and non alcaholic are premium qaulity, cocktails are superb, its great to have a butler get one if you can, thank you Basil and Darren, We loved the sundowner, the beech and grounds are spotless, its a narrow beach which is stunning, the sea is clear and fish eat from your hand, lots of americans with great humour and fun, it can be pretty humid but plenty of good air con everywhere. Great entertainment, in a year or two this resort will be unequalled when renovated but its skilfully done to not effect guests enjoyment.

Well i just made some banana bread it doesnt taste the same but its good, just looked at our photos its not quite being there but its good, uh will have to go back soon, we loved jamaica and it was the jamaicans that made it special thats priceless.

Room Tip: Ask to be looking at the beech out to sea, butler service is great, find out where work being done r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Wow! Sounds like you had an amazing vacation at Sandals Negril. It was such a pleasure to have you stay with us. We strive to offer incredible experiences to our guests and we're thrilled to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations! Thank you so much for your review.

We hope to welcome you back soon with more open arms, warm hearts and true Jamaican hospitality!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The staff at Sandals Negril were amazing - especially Kera. We were welcomed with open arms, beginning with the amazing waiting in the airport (I just wish we had access to that room during our departure!). Food was abundant and the drinks kept flowing!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We're so glad you had a great getaway to Sandals Negril. We always want our guests to enjoy every minute of their stay and it's wonderful to hear you did just that during your visit. Thank you for your review!

Happy Travels!
Beckenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My boyfriend Nick Jaye came back from Sandals Negril on Thursday just gone, we were very sad to leave! Suffice to say we have never been on such a relaxed and romantic holiday before!! We met some amazing people, staff and guests alike!! Special mention has to go out to Captain Smiley who made our day when we went out on his glassbottom boat, saw some beuatiful fish, starfishes, corals and fab conk shells! He became a good friend and regularly came over to chat with us when he finished his morning trips....Another person has to be mentioned, Travees Simpson off the Beaches Catamaran, which we took a trip on to Rick's Cafe. Let's just say that Travees ended up towing my boyfriend Nick over to the cafe, as Nick said " like a beached whale", when he realised the sea was a bit choppier than he first thought! Both he and Smiley joined us for the fantastic Beach Party as our guests and we all had a great night, Limbo Dancer, Fire Eater, balancing act, coconut rum cocktails and incredible food!

We had a really good couples massage in the Red Lane Spa, with Marcel and June, great masseuses, just be warned in advance there is a $30 tax surcharge when you get there....

Restaurants were great, the Bayside was best for breakfast, most fabulous fruit smoothies made fresh every morning by Deniese and Robert. Lovely welcome greeting from Kendra and many other staff there including Omar Lawrence who kept my boyfriend Nick up to date with the football...Nana made sure any comments we had about the food were noted and even made sure we had the first two slices of a freshly baked Banana Bread one lunchtime that we became addicted to! Brilliant evening shows there with dance and steel drum acts... We also loved Cucina Romana, lunchtimes were buffet style with great hot and cold food and desserts, evenings it became a more formal but very pretty sit down restaurant with a very tasty menu!

Kimonos was fun, hibachi restaurant, we went twice and both times had Geon, who was Jamaicanese, great voice and lovely food. Sundowner was a little hot when we went there one evening but Barefoot on the Beach was great for the Beach Party!

Our two butlers, Basil and Darron made sure our rooms looked very pretty, we were at the duplex suite to start with in Coconut Grove building, lovely room, little tired and needing a bit of tlc....one afternoon there was a torrential downpour and our roof leaked a bit so we mentioned if could be checked and next thing you, we were upgraded again to a stunning room in the Sundowner building above the swim up suites. This was awesome with a beautiful bed and sitting room area, larger balcony with spectacular sea view, big bathroom with two sinks, huge walk in shower and lovely deep bath with jacuzzi!! Considering we were originally booked for a concierge room, things were incredible! "Jamaica No Problem! "

We had a romantic sunset evening meal especially prepared for the two of us, after our bed was decorated with a cute dog made of towels, petals and leaves, a bubble bath prepared for us with candles and flowers, so romantic!!

Our butlers made sure we had a good spot on the beach for our sunloungers which they reserved for us every day and brought us drinks and snacks, which we shared around. Another lady has to be mentioned, Lois Nelson, who also kept the drinks flowing..... During our stay we met some incredible people from the USA, including young couple, Chase and LauraLee, who we're planning to keep in touch with, along with Chase's mum and dad...

Nick also struck up regular conversations with the manager, Andre, nice chilled out guy, Edward Yamid and many other staff in the restaurants and on the resort generally, including Duane, the gardener, Norman Drysdale and had breakfast a couple of times with Ian Howell who ran the gym and fitness classes, we managed to get to the gym every day of our ten day trip!!

Apologies to anyone I've missed off my list, there were just so many amazing people at the resort who made us feel so welcome from the word go! As they say in Jamaica, yeh mon!

The only downside is the long trip from the airport in Montego Bay to Negril which could spoil the holiday if you get travel sickness! Had some fab photos taken around the resort, best and funniest ones were taken in the sea! We also had the most delicious lobster cooked for us on the beach by the Fireman, such yummy food!

Be warned if you decide to do the Dunn's River falls trip that you have a 3 and a half hours trip each way to get there, ours got cancelled which kind of did us a favour!

We will definitely go back some time, bliss!!! Made some wonderful friends out there too, from the USA, Canada and Jamaica!!!

Room Tip: If you can afford Butler service, go for it, made the holiday so relaxing, made sure you get a sea v...
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I had a magnificent time at Sandals Negril! This was my first trip to the island and it will not be my last. The staff was amazing! Shout out to Sean, Dewayne, Emile, Basil, Denato, Aneisha, Omar, Demroy and all the others who made our "Ladies Getaway" special. You know you had a blast when leaving is difficult for the guess and staff. I forget the name of the DJ at the Piano Bar; however, he was AWESOME! Great crowd interaction and just a good ole time. I danced like I've never danced before because his vibe was contagious. For those of you who have never been to this resort, do not stay away based on negative reviews. Its all in what you make it and yes some staff not worth mentioning weren't as pleasant but that's their issue. Me and the other five other ladies I traveled with smiled and laughed all weekend long. We had butler service which I considered a bonus because the guys - Sean, Denato, Basil, Dewayne and Omar - are so nice and accommodating! Oh and Geon (?) the chef at the Japanese restaurant had an amazing voice and the food was phenominal. We sang along to every song!!! Special shout out to Rachel at Beach Bum vacation for helping me plan such an amazing trip starting in Jan. 2013. Your patience and responsiveness was much appreciated! Okay, I'll stop here :-) I felt Irie all weekend long!!! Yeah Mon, everyting was cool!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!