“Extraordinary Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

You added Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril 167, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$235 Spa/Tour Credit!
Ranked #17 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Jacksonville, Florida
“Extraordinary Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Everything about this resort is exceptional. The food is delectable, the service is great, the rooms are cozy, and the property is beautiful. We had the best vacation at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa. I would definitely recommend this resort to friends and family.

Room Tip: Any room you choose, you wil be satisfied.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Negril. We're ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed our gorgeous property, friendly staff and delicious food. Sounds like you had an incredible stay and we can't wait to welcome you back for another!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
  • Greek first
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

What a wonderful holiday!!! For the first time in our lives we REALLY felt like we had been on a vacation. We had a long day traveling from Trinidad to Mo Bay, which was a bit tiring. Nevertheless, from the time we boarded the shuttle to Sandals Negril from the airport, we knew our experience had begun. Our room was warmly set for a real newlywed couple. Every person attending to us made sure we felt at home. Before going any further, I'd like to highlight two very outstanding staff members: Aneshia and Deavaughn. These are the kind of personalities you should be accommodated by on any real all inclusive resort: very warm and friendly. We felt like family to Sandals with them around. Customer service there is so remarkable. It cushioned us from the start to finish of our trip.
The resort is great. I was a bit lost first couple days, but my wife pulled me out, lol, thank God. The orientation of the resort however, was very helpful. The beach activities were also very enjoyable. I had my first attempt at water skiing there. My goodness I failed miserably, but it added to my experience anyway. If you are good at it, prep yourself and spouse for it; go show off your skills. If you are into water activities like wind surfing, jet-skiing, kayaking, etc, SN is the place to be.
I won't forget to mention the visit to Beaches Resort (5 mins drive). It's the place to take your family if you're not on a couple's getaway. My wife and I took the privilege of dining there for lunch and enjoying evening activities. After we had our fill of fun, it was back to our base to just relax the night away. I think we had dinner by "Barefoot by the Sea" restaurant that night- great food, lovely ambiance.
If I have to take something home with me, in terns of food, it would be breakfast. Great way to start your day. Omelets and fruit drink all being prepared in your face. you won't regret. I loved it, she loved it... go see for yourself. you'll love it. Breakfast in bed was nice too.
Our photographer was a very professional guy. Fabien did a great job. I enjoyed the photo shoots with wiifey. He captured us on some really spontaneous moments. Great job!!!
We honeymooned sweetly at SN- a lovely start to marriage life. There's more of course, but it's for you to see for yourself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I had a great time at Sandals Negril. From the moment I stepped in the door, Sharene and George offered such a warm welcome, I felt like I was among family. The food was good and I really enjoyed the variety of options. The service was top notch!!! After having lunch I mentioned toNeeve , one of the most excellence servers I've ever encountered, that I really wanted a dessert that want listed on the menu. Although I was really thinking aloud, 5 minutes later he finds it from SOMEWHERE and it was amazing!!! Norman (from Italian restaurant) Princess, DJ Mase and the playmakers were also fantastic. I highly recommend it....due to a booking error that I was completely responsible for, my sister and I were among the very few single people at this couples resort...imagine that!!! But with the help of the staff, ( and our very outgoing personalities) we ventured out into the local area, met other guests that weren't coupled up, and had the time of our life both on and off the resort!! I meet some really wonderful people and am making plans for my return!

• Stayed July 2013
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our first time to Jamaica, so unlike some other reviewers, I have no other experiences to compare this to. That being said, the people that work at the resort honestly made our whole stay incredible! Yes the food was good and there were fun things to do, but I'm sure most resorts have that...we felt the workers went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. They did anything we asked and seemed so genuinely friendly!

We paid a little more to have a beachfront room with a concierge, bar in the room, and room service. Having our concierge was nice because she made reservations for us, checked up on us, and gave good advice about places to go. We realized it wasn't really worth it though to pay extra for the in-room bar because there were bars all over the resort that we would end up stopping at while we were walking around...so we ended up not drinking much of our bar.

We only went on two excursions because we wanted to be on the resort the majority of the time. We went shopping which was cool, but most of the stuff for sale off the resort was the same stuff you could get on the resort. We did go on a catamaran cruise to Rick's Cafe and Margaritaville...which was sooo much fun!!

Overall I recommend Sandals Negril and know that anyone who stays there would have a good time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arras, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

SANDALS NEGRIL
My Wife and I recently returned from a holiday at Sandals Negril (3rd – 17th July 2013) which we enjoyed. We were met at Montego Bay Airport by Keuron the local Virgin representative, who was excellent, both at the airport and during several checks he made on us while at the resort.
As usual the trip from the airport (1½ hours) was uncomfortable due to the poor standard of maintenance of the vehicle and the erratic nature of the driving. It appears that the hotel chooses the transport contractors on price alone. I would gladly pay a premium for a comfortable seat in a well maintained, well driven vehicle.
When we arrived at the hotel we had a warm reception before being escorted to the concierge office where the formalities were completed. We were then taken to our room (Honeymoon beachfront walk out concierge room 5112) which was fine. The bathrooms and air conditioning system were however in need of updating, a process that has already started. The room was as described beach front and was within twenty steps of the fantastic beach but unfortunately the covered access corridor at the rear of the room was noisy for up to twenty hours a day. In our view serious thought should be given to fitting a noise reducing floor covering or using trolleys with pneumatic tyres during the periods when guests are likely to be sleeping. We would also have preferred a room further away from the main restaurant and entertainment area. During our stay we had exception service from Kebar who kept our room spotless and Donavan who ensured that our mini bar was well stocked.

The five restaurants served a wide variety of good quality food and with the exception of Kimonos were ideally situated offering wonderful views of the beach and bay, the service at each was invariably first class. Reservations are required for both Kimonos (Japanese) and Cucina Romano (Italian). As my Wife is vegetarian we were disappointed to find that there was no vegetarian option at Kimonos as all the food is prepared in front of the guests on a large communal hotplate. Our waiter Nicholas was very professional though, not only did he apologise profusely but he made it his business to escort us to the Sundowner restaurant where he explained the situation to his brother Oshane, who was also excellent, arranging for us to have one of the best tables and ensured through his professionalism that we had a wonderful evening.

As we had already made two further reservations at Kimonos I visited the Concierge Office to explain the situation and to cancel these reservations, I was obviously expecting some form of follow up action but was disappointed to find there was none. Shortly following this incident we were asked by Nana Shandraseka (Food and Beverage Director) how we were enjoying our holiday, we explained to him that with the exception of our short visit to Kimonos and the fact that there are limited vegetarian options at other restaurants, it was a most enjoyable experience. He was most concerned and immediately arrange for us to meet all the Chefs, he explained the situation to each of them and asked if they could devise special individual meals for her. Each of the Chefs (Damian, Steve and Kevin) were first class, subsequently preparing a series of excellent vegetarian meals for her. In addition to constantly monitoring the situation, Nana arranged for a vegetarian option to be added to the menu at Kimonos. Normally at this restaurant guests are seated at tables of eight, each table having an assigned Chef, but Nana arranged a special meal for just the two of us which was the highlight of our holiday. Napoleon our Chef was a mixture of Master Chef, comedian, singer and juggler, who in addition to keeping us entertained the whole evening prepared one of the best vegetarian meals my Wife has ever tasted.

Nana is a consummate professional who changed our holiday from good to excellent and is the main reason we will be returning to Sandals Negril.

It is my view that the heads of other departments, who were conspicuous by their absence, could learn a great deal from the exceptional level of customer service Nana provides.

If like us you enjoy, good food and service in a quiet intimate beach front location then I would highly recommend Cucina Romanos, Sundowners and Barefoot by the Beach restaurants. We also enjoyed the food at the Bayside restaurant, but here it can get a little noisy particularly if you have a table near the stage. We had the last dinner of our holiday at Cucina Romanos, where we were very well looked after by Norman, as there was no vegetarian soup on the menu that evening Norman sourced some from one of the other restaurants, this is just one example of the standard of service.

The buffet breakfasts and lunches at the Bayside restaurant were also very good, if you could not find what you liked at the buffet Steve the Chef would prepare whatever you required. (Given a little notice) we were particularly well looked after at breakfast and lunch by Pauline, Ashman (waiters) and Denese the lovely lady who prepared the fresh orange juice, fruit and salad.

I went diving every day and found the dive team very professional. While they we all good two member really stood out, Josh a dive leader and Captain Hopeton Mackintosh. I have been diving in the Caribbean for almost thirty years, during which time I have never sailed with a better captain, his combination of boat manoeuvring skills together with his attention to detail in regard to safety health and welfare inspired high levels of confidence among the divers.

While most guests seemed to enjoy the cabaret it was far too noisy for us, maybe an age thing! One particular evening we were very much looking forward to the steel band which we thought would play the warm, soft, melodic music we associate with the Caribbean. Unfortunately for us the exact opposite was the case, while the drummers were obviously very talented the music was loud, high pitched, harsh and frantic. This was made even worse by the inclusion of a drummer with a traditional drum kit. Again though we were in the minority as most of the rest of the audience seemed to enjoy the performance. Personally we preferred the performers on the beach to any of the cabaret at the resort. (Particularly the ‘Big Bamboo’ man)

Unlike other similar resorts however there are quiet areas where guests who do not enjoy the cabaret can escape; I would particularly recommend the bar and surrounding area close to the Sundowner restaurant, where you can sit quietly under the stars with only the sound of the Caribbean lapping the beach, fantastic.

The return journey to the airport was equally as traumatic as the outward journey, this time with no air conditioning. While we are used to drivers using mobile phones while driving we were horrified to find that this driver was actually playing with his Ipad, which caused him to swerve violently on at least two occasions. I finally had to ask him if he would please keep his eyes on the road. We were all very pleased when we eventually arrived at the airport. Hopefully it will not take a serious accident to make the resorts improve this situation.

I have tried to give a balanced account of our holiday to Negril and hope that readers will find it useful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cory, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This resort is a little closer to the airport than the Sandals Whitehouse. It's still about a one hour drive from the airport. It was nice and the beach was pretty. A little small compared to the Whitehouse. The sand fleas bit me in the evenings while on the beach. That was the only problem we had at Negril.

Someone told me not to compare each Sandals resort because they are all unique. That's very true, they are all set up differently. But, the drinks, food, entertainment, sun, service are always good at any Sandals. I love paying and then going and not having to worry about carrying money around.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

If ever there were a case study in how to ruin your brand in the course of a week (especially my last 2 hours there), then my stay at Sandals Negril would be a paragon for such. First off, this was my 3rd stay at a Sandals resort in Jamaica; Ochos Rios in 2012 and Whitehouse back in 2005, and both of those stays were pretty amazing. In terms of food, service, cleanliness, and overall stay, Sandals had never disappointed me in the slightest. Unfortunately, this stay (July 13-July 20) at Sandals Negril was marred by undelivered promises and egregious misunderstandings with the wedding/booking department. Yes, I said wedding department...of all the times that Sandals could have given me grief it had to be on my "WeddingMoon".

1st strike: The illusion of receiving a free "upgrade" to our initial reservation. I know we've all read the reviews of Sandals being quite gracious when it comes to wedding upgrades to the room to make your week very special. Although my wife and I weren't taking this for granted, we both knew it could be a possibility. Truth be told, we booked one of the lowest rooms with the slight hope of being upgraded to an ocean view room with a balcony. Not that Sandals is beholden to do upgrades free of charge, but we did bring in additional business to Sandals by having 6 other couples book rooms to attend our wedding (which will be a point of contention later in my review).

Sure enough, once we got to the check-in lobby we were told we had in fact receive an upgrade to our room free of charge. WOO-HOO, right? Unfortunately, once we step into the room we see that the room is a bit outdated (heck, it had a CD player and not even an Ipod dock) with absolutely no balcony, faced the main road, and the windows were poorly insulated/sealed as to where we could hear the road noise from the traffic all night long. Not exactly the honeymoon suite of your dreams, but my wife and I booked one of the lowest rooms so we really had no right to complain. What we couldn't understand is how that was an "upgrade"? We dealt with it the first night and the next morning we got to talking to another couple in our wedding party about the so-called "upgraded" room. In the course of conversation with our friends we come to find out Sandals pulled the same exact thing with them. Instead of merely accepting their poorly upgraded room (same type we were upgraded to), they demanded to be moved and actually ended up with a beachfront room with a walk-out porch. Their success story served as the impetus for my wife and I to inquire about an upgraded room with a balcony, preferably facing the ocean, just like our friend's room. As expected from Sandals' storied reputation for customer service, they happily obliged us and agreed to switch the room...which leads me to strike 2.

Strike 2: The waiting for Sandals to upgrade the room took the entirety of the 2nd day. The front desk explained that the process to switch to another "upgraded" room was very simple, and all we had to do was pack all our stuff up and the bellhops would take our bags to the new room while we were out. We thought this was simple as could be and packed up all our belongings accordingly. Much to our dismay, we kept coming back to the room throughout the day (reapply sunscreen and freshen up) only to find that nobody ever came for our bags. We finally had our bags moved around dinner time, but the whole experience of wondering when we could stop living out of a suitcase left a bad taste in our mouths. We were simply bewildered how it could take nearly 1/2 a day for them to find us a new room. Sure enough, we get the new key from the front desk and are giddy with anticipation to see how the resort "upgraded" us this time around. In the end, we ended up with a marginally upgraded room than before (yes, it had an Ipod dock this time) and it had a balcony...albeit it faced the same road as before. LOL. Noise was a little better because the door/windows on the balcony were of much better construction, but you could still hear the traffic below. Oh well, my wife and I were tired of dealing with it and decided to go on with our week.

Strike 3: As I mentioned before, we were doing our WeddingMoon at Sandals and overall I thought it was a pretty easy process. As advertised, the resort makes most everything in terms of wedding planning and the ceremony as easy as possible, and my wife and I have no complaints about that. What we do have a problem with is the severe disconnect between the group booking department and the wedding people. When you first setup your wedding you will receive a group booking ID number and that is what your guests will input when making a reservation. Unfortunately, the system is BROKEN and if your guests do input that into their online reservation it doesn't get communicated to the booking/wedding department for some reason. A week before the wedding our coordinator told us that we only had 1 couple booked under our group number, and that was probably because they called in. Nonetheless, my wife took the time to call Sandals booking department and told them of all the guests' names that were attending our wedding that were in fact staying at the resort. After dealing with the coordinator over the phone, my wife got the number up to just 5 couples, for some reason they couldn't find the other 2 couples' reservations. The lady on the phone reassured my wife that the other 2 couples not verified wouldn't be a problem because we had passed the minimum threshold of 5 rooms booked to get at least a complimentary 30-minute cocktail hour after our ceremony. Done deal, right? WRONG!

By the time the final billing comes I see that we were charged $360 from the wedding. I was OK with $300 of that being from the wedding arch setup (kinda high, I know), but I was unsure where $60 extra was from. After inquiring at the wedding place they tell me that we had to pay $15/each for the 4 "EXTRA" guests...you know, those people that were STAYING AT SANDALS anyways! Let me tell you, that cocktail hour was nothing to write home about; nasty semi-stale humidified bread with some sort of meat puree on top of it that nobody wanted to eat, and regular champagne that you could get at any of the bars. My wife and I are still wondering what merits that $15/each charge?

So we take the questionable $60 overcharge to the wedding department on the morning of our departure. By the way, it was a good thing we weren't leaving until 12pm that day, because the wedding department didn't get in until 9:30am. I digress, we tell the wedding people that we should not have that charge of $60 because all of our guests were in fact staying at Sandals and this was all simply a misunderstanding with the booking department. Sure enough, the main wedding lady keeps retorting with the same 2 facts: 1) It says in writing we only had 10 guests booked (guess the official number of 14 guests did matter), and 2) I signed for the $360 charge. Yes, that's right...in my haste on our second day there, and taking for granted that the bill/invoice they provided to me during our wedding consultation was just for the overpriced $300 arch, I had inadvertently signed for the 4 guests @ $15/each. MY BAD! I told the lady that I would have fought that charge from the get go, but she said it was as clear as day that I had signed off on it so there was nothing she could do...pretty much calling me out as incompetent for signing something without reading. I told her the PRINCIPLE of the matter was what I was questioning, "Why should guests staying at the hotel, guests that receive all-inclusive treatment otherwise, require payment for this?". All this time, my wife is acting outraged over the fact she basically wasted hours with the wedding coordinator the week before only to find out that we did need 7 confirmed rooms. The wedding lady proceeds to ask my wife, "Where's your confirmation number/record?"..."Where's your proof?"..."Do you have email confirmation?"..."Did you know we record all conversations?". By the wedding lady's tone and overall line of questioning I got the overwhelming feeling she was attacking my wife's credibility and basically calling her a liar. Seriously?...over $60? You would insult the integrity of one of your guests for that small amount of money? Sure enough, the lady calls my wife's bluff and starts furiously looking for email confirmations in front of us. Even worse, after no real proof comes to the surface in front of us via email, she then goes across the hall into another room and shuts the door to seek out voice conversation proof. Why weren't we invited to listen to these recorded calls? This whole charade goes on for over an hour...you know, an hour that my wife had planned to walk the beach and enjoy the scenery for our last few hours on the island. Fed up, we just got up and left the room only to see 4 of the wedding people in the office across the hall huddled around a computer not really doing anything. Is it worth 4 peoples' time for an hour in the pursuit of $60?

My wife and I really wanted to end the week on a high note after the disappointing room drama. Instead, we were left with a feeling of indignity towards a company that had treated us so well the year before. We stewed on that terrible feeling of indignation for a short time after leaving the wedding office, and my wife and I came to the conclusion that we should just eat the $60. Much to my dismay, the wedding lady magically appears at the front desk lobby to talk to us as we're getting ready to pay the final bill. She shows my wife a stack of emails all stating we only ever had 10 guests confirmed, only furthering her attack on my wife for no reason after we were just ready to pay the $60 and move on with our lives. Ultimately, the wedding manager magnanimously decides to credit our bill the $60 in an effort to smooth things over and end our week on a semi-high note. TOO LATE.

The ending to our wedding week couldn't have been any lousier. In fact, this trip has convinced my wife and I to look into other all-inclusive options. Writing this review makes me sad though, as we had a tremendous time the year before in Ochos Rios, and this year was awesome too, minus the 3 big strikes. Food was pretty damn good, servers were all awesome (especially the hostess at the morning buffet and Christopher at Cucina), and the resort has all the amenities you could ever ask for. If it weren't for severe disappointment at the end over $60 and principles of that I still would have come back. Bottom line, don't EVER attack a guest's integrity and definitely don't under-deliver on promises.

-Spencer

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!