“I love Sandals but this resort is serioulsy misrepresented...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

You added Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril 167, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$175 Spa/Tour Credit!
Ranked #17 of 88 Hotels in Negril
New York
“I love Sandals but this resort is serioulsy misrepresented...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I wasn't sure what to think after reading the reviews here but now that I am back I wanted to share my honest opinion.

We stayed there 8/17 - 8/22. We had stayed at the Grand Riviera in Ocho Rios back in 2008 and loved Jamaica so much we thought we'd try a different part of the island.

When we got to Jamaica we were greeted at the airport Sandal's lounge and given refreshments and pastries. They tagged our bags and told us a third party car service would be taking us to the resort. It was about and hour and a half drive and that included a restroom pit stop and we got to the resort at 6:00pm after traveling 15 hours so we were pretty tired.

In true Sandals style we were welcomed with a fruity drink and cool towels. We filled out some forms and gave our credit card for any extra charges.

We were told we were upgraded from a deluxe to a premium room. The room being in the newer coconut grove building. The bad part was that it was on the second floor room 2201 and was in the back of the building. The room had nice furnishings. But was extremely small and had no natural light coming into it. There were two windows. One facing the stairwell and the other facing the walkway. There are huge banana trees and foliage that cover the outside of these rooms and passages. There isn't any natural light that comes into the room. We could not keep our shutters open without people looking in or coming down the stairs.

Needless to say I asked to change my room the next morning and downgraded to my original booked room. We were put in the Paradise building in another room #5215 that faced the back of the building, except the room was huge. There were two chairs and a table if we wanted to eat in and there was a huge window where the sun could beam in and no one could walk by and stare.

We were fine with change as I understand I did not pay for an ocean facing room but I did not expect to spend my 5 nights in a dark sardine can.

We took a good look at the property and here is what I can honestly say. It's not the biggest resort I have been to. The main pool is small. My town pool is bigger. There is another pool along the resort but it is tiny and next to the piano bar.

The gym was nice. There was really good equipment there. We were up at 6am everyday using this room.

The swim up suites are lined up in front of the barefoot by the sea restaurant. I cannot possibly see anyone thinking they could have some privacy or romantic time in that part of the swim up area when you have a restaurant on the beach with people eating directly in front of you. In the advertisement of these rooms at the airport lounge this restaurant is totally missing.

The architecture of the newer buildings is questionable. There are parking lot facing rooms. I am not sure who would travel so far to stay in a room like that.

The beach is beautiful. The sand isn't exactly powdery white and you will not find any seashells. Although there is a guy who sells conch shells at the end of the beach if you go towards the Hedo resort.

At the beach in the water there are two areas roped off portions of ocean where you are allowed to swim. The floor of the beach is full of seaweed (sea ganga as they call it) and wherever there wasn't any just felt really slimy. I brought a noodle with me in the water to completely float over this.The depth of the water that is roped off is about 5 1/2 feet at its deepest point. So if you like to swim like me in deeper water you will find this completely limiting.

There is glass bottom, snorkeling, water ski and scuba tours offered throughout the day and they keep the waters clear so the boats can go back and forth. They dont take you very far. If it rains they cancel all trips. Excursions off the site are offered but are very expensive.

There are rangers on the beach that control vendors that walk along the beach selling items. I wouldn't leave any valuables on my beach chair. They are safer by the pool. There are plenty of beach chairs on the beach. The main pool area is small so you have to claim a chair early in the morning as there are not many in that area.

The best part of this resort I would say is the restaurants and entertainment. We did find all the meals were excellent and the playmakers do their best to entertain and motivate the guests.

We are sandal select members and were asked to a special cocktail and dinner. We were given a bottle of Guyanese rum. The resort does not serve any Jamaican rum which I found strange. Also I thought that since they advertised they were now serving Beringer wines I could occasionally have a glass. But it turned out this was on the "Manager's List" and if you wanted wine you had to buy a bottle for $25 or a glass at $10. I believe the going price here in NY for a bottle is about $12 so I thought that was ridiculous.

It was a relaxing vacation after we were moved from our dark room. We will come back to Jamaica but not to this particular Sandals. I expected more for the amount of money we paid. I would say it is a boutique resort. If you dont care about the size or view from your room then this may be for you.

Room Tip: Paradise Building rooms are bigger and you can get a nice beachfront room with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (983)
  • Greek first
Morgan City, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were married at Sandals Negril on August 18, 2012. We were in the Honeymoon Loft Butler Suite. Our butlers Daron & Basil were absolutely wonderful. We had a group of 20 with us for our wedding. Daron & Basil not only took care of us, they made reservations for our entire group! We didn't have to ask for anything, they were always there for us. The service at the resort, all around, was impeccable. Wedding Planners & Wedding staff - Shelly Ann, Gwayne, & Phillipa. Videographers & Photographer - T-Bone & Vinton gave us memories that will last a lifetime. The wedding was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Smiley, what can I say, has a smile and a personality that just doesn't stop. He's now just like family to us. Our Honeymoon breakfast came to us with a smile & love by Glenville. What a treat! We were always greeted with hugs and smiles - Omar & Tray - we miss you (That's right!). When you return to the resort, you are greeted with "Welcome Home". I have to say, when you are at Sandals Negril, it does feel like home.

Room Tip: Choose a butler suite!! It's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Having stayed in various all inclusive resorts throughout the Caribbean, this one came up very short of expectations.

Cons: Limited food selection. Zero night entertainment, unless you are willing to pay an extra $85 per person to go on the catamaran that takes you out for a couple of hours. No room service unless you are staying at one of their suites...$$$$. NO RAGGAE MUSIC playing except on friday during dinner. Really???? I didn't come to Jamaica to listen to Flo-rida!! Very dissapointed!! They don't encourage people to leave the hotel to get to know the area. (otherwise, you would never know you were in Jamaica)

Pros: location and staff....and I believe that's why people give them so many great reviews....

This was my second and probably last time going to a Sandals resort.

Room Tip: The suites where you can swim up to the pool from your room are so not worth the price!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
I'm so sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Our main goal is to ensure that the needs and expectations of our guests are met and unfortunately, we didn't quite meet that goal during your stay. I hope that you allow us to make your next stay much better.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,
Cassie C.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I visited this property May 2009 and am pleased to say Sandals continues to impress me. Situated on a beautiful stretch of beach, food is delicious and just a short ride to famous Ricks Cafe for cliff diving!! Make sure to request updated room it makes a huge difference.

• Stayed May 2012
Akron, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

5 days in a Tropical Deluxe room.
Staying for a wedding/vacation.

AIRPORT/TRANSFER

Arrival at the airport was easy and we got through customs fairly fast. Once you arrived at the Sandals lounge we had time to use the restroom and grab a drink before being walked out to the bus. If you do have to wait a little longer than the lounge is very nice with plenty of seating, air conditioned, beer and sometimes there has been food. Everyone was very friendly and efficient.

ROOM

We were in a tropical deluxe room and it was OK. The room itself is small and for paying nearly $500 a night, you should be getting nicer accommodations. The space around the bed was tiny and besides a little area by the closet, this wasn't a big room by any means. Overall, decor was bland and NOTHING like the pictures you see online which make them look cozy and warm.

Comfort of bed was nice, a little on the firm side. It is a king bed so there is definitely plenty of room. TV had lots of options but it was mainly news and sports. Also, very small old tube tv, again, nothing like that flat screen shown in the picture.

Safe was great, lots of hangers for clothes and drawer space as well. Not much of a view in the room besides a walkway and the parking lot. There was maybe a couple bushes which I guess made it a garden view room- yeah, not so sure about that.

Also, no room service or bottles in the room. Again, for $500 a night, I find this completely unacceptable and on this alone, I would not book future stays at Sandals. I know it may seem insignificant but when paying $500 a night, I except room service and bottles.

POOLS/BEACH

We only used 1 pool, the main pool. It's not large by any means but we never had a problem finding chairs in the morning after breakfast. The pool bar opens at 10 but doesn't get "crowded" until around 12PM. Service was always quick for us and often times would be a drink waiting. Loved that :) I also played lots of pool volleyball which was a lot of fun and a highlight of the trip.

Beach was nice but so much seaweed! The chairs are always crammed so close together that you are pretty much on top of the person next to you. Lots of vendors asking if you want hair braided, jetskis and when all those fail, smoke. Lots of security guards relaxing on their cell phones not doing much of anything.

FOOD

If you are a foodie then you probably won't be floored. If you love pizza, nachos and hard pasta then you're in luck.

Bayside: Breakfast was good but because they made omelettes. Those were always good but the line is long and it takes awhile. Got that every morning with some french toast. Each morning was the same stuff, not much would change. Also tried dinner on the first night and was not impressed at all. I prefer not to pick out the bones in all of my food.

Dinos: Not good. Portions are tiny. I ordered a caprese salad and it was 2 slices of tomato on a piece of mozz. cheese. The primavera had overcooked noodles and very little veggies with OK sauce. My husband had lobster and liked his dish. Dessert and bread was the best course. The atmosphere is wonderful but you'll probably get eaten alive with the mosquitoes.

Sundowner: Great breakfast and great dinner but both SLOW. Dinner took a good 45 minutes for our entree when the place was 1/2 occupied but still it was great. The steak was delicious with the mushroom sauce. My husband also loved his meal as well. Atmosphere is great with indoor or outdoor seating.

Kominos: CLOSED.

OVERALL:

Would not stay again based on room sizes and what is/isn't included in an already high price. Also the food is nothing special. It's far from all the gourmet they throw out there. Pool isn't anything great either. For an experienced Caribbean traveler, this resort falls short compared to many others.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear about your experience not fully meeting your expectations. I hope that you will allow us to have another opportunity to show you the kind of service that is typical of our staff. We always want to ensure that every guest has the most enjoyable and memorable vacation experience possible.

We hope to see you again!

Cassie C
Rochester Mills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I didnt realize how important reviews were until we just got back from a bad resort in St. Marteen after ignoring the reviews. So I wanted to go back and put a review in for Sandals Negril. We went there for our honeymoon in 2009 and loved it! Food, room, service, smiles--everything was great! We loved Jamaica! Would recommend this place to anyone!!

Irvine, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

room dirty and extremly dated(dead cockroaches under bed for the whole week)
staff unfriendly and too busy kissing and fondling each other to do thier job
treated different to others as we wernt american
the free taxi service dosnt exisit
the beach that is supposed private had an endless amout of people pestering you to buy tourist tat and also children walking by from other resorts when its an adults only resort
staff at desk rude and just down right horrible
being harassed for tips (in a non tipping resort) for total crap service
having to beg for regular coke and beer in your mini bar
gardener stole my partners clothes!!!!!!!!!! the list goes on!!

save your money and go to the riu!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are grateful for feedback, inclusive of TripAdvisor posts, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Our response to feedback continues to be in word and deed. We hope that you would afford us an opportunity to demonstrate the same.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Cassie C.

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!