“great time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, | Bloody Bay Beach, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #30 of 91 hotels in Negril
Portsmouth
“great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Lovely clean hotel,Pretty grounds, Good selection of food and drinks,Superb beach,Specialized restaurants were excellent so much so we visited each one twice,room service was available if required 24hrs ,Staff on beach and pool and restaurants and piano bar excellent
Would i go back yes I would been to Jamaica several times but the beach in Negril was the best, Beach venders good fun and not annoying if you said no they would go.
Couple of downs for us but hasten to add did not spoil our wonderful holiday. No loos near beach or pool,Small hotel with poor entertainment this wouldnt be a problem if you could go freely into Negril but warned not to walk around on your own as possibly dangerous,Lunch times was difficult to get seated could of been the rain as we did have this from about 1 pm every day very unusual for this time of year,one rude young lady who was a waitress at breakfast and lunch was very off when we didnt tip but she was the only one.
Overall we had a great holiday I think it is an older persons hotel or people that like it quieter

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

3,217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Polish first
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Good Observations - very clean, nice decor, GREAT beach and water (clean / clear water, very clean beach - barely any shells, no rocks or plant life to step on), outrageous number of choices and delicious food at the buffet and very good quality, enjoyed the 4 restaurant choices at the resort (Italian, Fusion, Steakhouse, Japanese), very smooth check-in and check-out, and the staff was very accommodating and friendly.

Bad Observations - When we arrived in our room our bath towels, iron and umbrella were missing - when the staff was alerted they did provide them in a timely fashion, the cable on the TV was broken and even after being fixed the picture quality was still poor, there was a constant musty smell in the room, there were numerous robberies / thefts at the resort during our stay including the room right next to ours, the resort DOES NOT have bathrooms near the pool / beach area - you need to walk a long maze like path to get to a bathroom which is VERY INCONVENIENT and leads me to believe that people use the pool / ocean -vs- bathroom which is a very unpleasant thought.....they really need to address this very poor setup! , most of the entertainment at night was OK but not great (exception - the Silver Birds Steel Orchestra) - the resort could use a better lineup considering this is the ONLY nighttime entertainment onsite (no dance club, etc.), we were unable to drink the water from the faucet and needed to be careful that we consumed only bottled water (unlike Aruba where the tap water is extremely clean and delicious!)

We traveled with a group of 20+ and while we did not use the Apple Rep onsite for excursions many in our group did.....and each time they were disappointed with their experience. The golfing trip was filled with unexpected expenses once the group reached the golf course which left the foursome broke by the time they left. The horseback riding excursion was booked - but no one was informed at the time of booking that the weight limit was 220 lbs and no pregnant women were allowed to ride. The women in our group looked forward to this all week and then were left unable to go because some of them were ineligible to attend so the entire group chose not to go.

My husband and I walked over to the ClubHotel Riu Negril location and noticed that it was also very clean and nicely furnished. The staff was also very friendly and accommodating. The stage area was MUCH nicer than the Tropical Palace. The beach was nice but the water was TERRIBLE!! It had a steep drop off, it was murky, very shelly and rocky which left you with unsure footing while trying to walk around and I ended up with something piercing my foot - possibly a sea anemone. A lifeguard came over to see if he could help and offered me a safety pin which he had attached to the waistband of his shorts assuring me that he offered it to "everyone" who needed to dig things out of their foot. I am a medical professional and I am sure my eyes became as big as saucers considering using a community needle to dig out this foreign object. When he saw my surprise he assured me that he cleans it "with alcohol every morning." Geez, thanks - was I the first to be offered it that day or the third....I thanked him for his "kind" offer and declined. When I went up to the nurses office I explained by medical background and asked for a sterile needle and alcohol to remove it myself - she informed me that this is not something that they are allowed to do - even if I remained in her office - so it remained in my foot until we returned to our host resort later in the day. It would have been nice to be able to walk over to the Riu ClubHotel after dark to be able to go to their dance club without using a taxi - but the beach between the two resorts is pitch black and we were informed by the Tropical Palace staff that it is unsafe to attempt walking over in the dark. Lighting along here and security would be appreciated.

Overall we had a very pleasant experience at our host resort - Riu Tropical Palace. Would we return? Probably not - we did not feel it was safe enough to travel around the island unless we were part of a group excursion (unlike Aruba where we explored on our own multiple times and never felt threatened). There are many other islands to explore in the Caribbean and we have been there and done that in Jamaica.

Room Tip: I recommend asking for a 2nd or 3rd floor room - better views of the beach - we were on the first f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Beautiful resort. Food was incredible and the dining staff - Tamara, Dwayne, Jon, and Crefton , had flowers on our table, drinks ready for us as we got there.... Snooky the Entertainment girl was so warm and welcoming and also made our stay feel like home.
The rooms were very clean and beach was outstanding.
Would love to go back and would recommend this resort to family and friends.

Room Tip: We had the ocean front room which was an excellent choice. Very close to the beach and we were in th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay here..............beautiful beach and hotel grounds! We were all upgraded in room categories and enjoyed that! Staff were all excellent, especially " Momma" in the buffet dining room. Steak house and Italian alacartes were good, but, hard to get into. The Fusion// French one was not so good and staff not as friendly in there. Sunwing Rep here was not so good, but, we managed! The use of hobbie cats and peddles boats was great!All in all, I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade when you arrive as they may have one available! All rooms located well in resort.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We have been to 3 RIU hotels and this was by far the smallest and most quiet. This one is Definetlly not a party place, you can walk 10 minutes down the beach to the club riu for the party if you like. The beach at this hotel was the best along bloody bay in our opinion. As usual the food at riu hotels is very good and the pool bar gets bumping in the afternoon. At night there just isn't much to do however the location is a quick cab ride to 7 mile beach and the party. Snorkeling was a 10 minute boat ride and quite good. Fishing charter was reasonable and only 5 minutes from the hotel to the boat. A 2 minute walk up the beach to a little bar and BBQ (not part of the hotel) on the beach is the best lobster I've ever had. They pul it out of the water, kill it and right on the grill. Excellent.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The drive to the hotel from the airport was over an hour....of course our bus driver stopped several times for refreshments...at our request....so it didn't seem that long. The beach was wonderful. The food was consistently good. We went to the Japanese restaurant and the Krystal....both were good. The property and the rooms were clean....but the staff was unbelievable. They were very friendly and efficient. Nothing that we asked was too much trouble. Our favorites were Natherine in the breakfast buffet, Tinker Bell...I think her name is really Natalie,...at the pool, Marlene our martini maker, Carvella and Jermain in the buffet and Spence the Maitre'd. We would order coffee and juice in the morning...you can't believe how quickly we received it...atta boy John. Laura, one of the managers was visible throughout the hotel....very well run. One complaint....they had a very good steel drum band....but don't play modern songs.....I wanted to hear island music. We had a great time...and will go back.

Room Tip: Building 3 is close to everything.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I believe that this is was our 5th stay in a Riu resort. We keep seeking out Riu's on our trips because we have never been disappointed. This Riu is no different.

The beach that the Riu is on is very nice. The resort area of the beach was constantly being raked with all debris, including leaves, removed. The water in the bay is probably some of the clearest waters we've seen around the caribbean.

The resort grounds are very well maintained. All plants, trees and grass are well taken care of and healthy.

The rooms are typical of all Rius. We had no problems in our room and the room was always clean. The liquor and refrigerator were stocked as needed and was there when we needed it. It's always nice to be able to grab a small bottle of water for a drink in the room or on the grounds and it's very nice to have the large bottles to take along on excursions. Our room was an ocean front suite. We were on the third floor in a building away from the pool and other main gathering areas so it was very quiet. It was nice to open the door at night and listen to the crashing waves.

The reason there are not five stars. The bar tenders at the swim up bar were not always the quickest at getting to our orders. It seemed at some times they were looking right past me and avoiding me for whatever reason. Even though this is all-inclusive I feel I need to tip for good service. I was tipping for ever round ordered but the service there remained so-so. The second reason for a missing star is the entertainment crew. The crew at other resorts is usually loud and constantly around getting people up and doing things that they normally wouldn't do. I never thought I'd miss that, but this crew did not have that energy and I was surprised that I noticed and actually missed it.

Would I stay here again? Sure, but there are a lot more Rius out there that I have yet to visit. I'll be back once I have experienced them all.

Room Tip: Ocean view or ocean front. Some of the rooms looked like they had excellent views of other balconie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!