“Paradise Found” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, | Bloody Bay Beach, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #31 of 91 hotels in Negril
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Paradise Found”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

It's very difficult to be able to weed out the good from the bad when booking a trip online but I lucked out. My Fiancee and I went to Negril to celebrate our engagement. I had alot of pressure on me when booking the trip because I wanted it to be perfect! The Riu Tropical Palace was very very close!! The all inclusive resort had beautiful beaches, and provided what every all inclusive resort should-options! When you book an all inclusive, it's almost like being on a cruise ship-you acknowledge that the resort is where you will spend most of your vacation time-so it's imperative that resort has things to eat, drink, and keep you occupied(or plenty of areas to be absolutely NOT occupied). The Riu tropical Palace provided all of the above. Beautiful beaches, a great activities/entertainment staff, great bartenders and service people with great attitudes, beautiful beaches, lots of places to kick back, and many food options.

The rooms were kept neat and clean and the housekeeping staff was fantastic-they made sure the room was spotless daily and the included mini bar and non alcoholic refreshments were stocked daily.

The property itself is beautiful-very palace like and very impressive.
The downsides to the property are:
The rooms themselves could use some updating, particularly the bedding.
Also, the rooms were not very well soundproofed as you could hear things next door, nearby road noises, and people in the halls-easy for me to sleep through, but maybe not everyone.
Negril itself is a very spread out area, and even moreso, a long drive from the airport. I had been to Negril once before so I expected it, so no real issue there.
One other issue is the alcohol. There is alot of it, and thats mostly good, however I noticed some of the clear liquors(vodka, gin) and even some not clear(whiskey) were diluted and watered down.

Overall though, the trip was fantastic. I will ONLY book Riu properties for my all inclusives from this point forward! All of the good you read about Riu Tropical Palace is absolutely right on!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are about equal.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

3,216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the resort November 24 to December 1, 2013. I cannot say enough about what the fantastic people that work there. Our check-in was smooth and easy thanks to Michael. I find that it's often difficult to find one's way to the to room but we were given excellent instructions. Good start!

We found the food at the buffet to be excellent. There was always a wide assortment of food to choose from. At breakfast there was a terrific variety of smoothies. I had to start my day with one every day! :-). There was also a large assortment of hot and cold choices. Speaking of the breakfast buffet, I have to my new friend, Juliann. She is a star - always a smile on her face, and quick to ask if we would like juice and coffee. I will definitely miss her.

The evening buffet was always a busy place but once we found a seat, the assortment and variety of food was vast. A very special shout out to our favourite server. Aldwayne. He is a superstar - full of smiles and good humour and a very had worker. What an asset to the Riu! He is a sweetheart and we will also miss him.

The rooms were fine- clean and comfortable. The beach was truly awesome! We had no problem getting chairs each day (unlike other resorts that you have to get up before sunrise to secure chairs).

All in all it was a fabulous week and a great way to spend my birthday! I would also be remiss not to mention Ricardo, who arranged for a birthday cake on my birthday and helped make the day special.

I would highly recommend the Riu if you are looking for a relaxing time. Oh ya, free Wi-Fi throughout the resort and free use of the sister resort, Riu Negril, are bonuses too.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This place was terrible. Do NOT stay here. If all goes smooth I can see why folks would praise this location due to the ambiance. However customer service is non-existent if you have a faulty room, toilet, refrigerator or any concerns. Their customer service department is outsourced to Mexico and Fl and they do not take any actions until 30 days after your trip. I was forced one day to have my girlfriend go in a bathtub because I was unable to secure a service man for over 36 hours to repair a broken bathroom. I escalated in person, with the hotel supervisor ( both night and day time) I even spoke to the GM who simply apologized and referred me to the a post travel "email" to use.

If you are an American do NOT be fooled by the promise of 4 and 5 star hotels. Although I was eventually moved to a "suite" that room was crappy as well and didn't have a functioning Jacuzzi and had a runny fridge. This place is a dump. The RIU brand is not all its cracked up to be. Go for the best or stay home. This was by far the most disappointing stay I've had for the money I invested which was in the thousands for 9 days that this property.

To this day I have yet to receive a correspondence from their post travel agents that makes any sense. Its a dam shame. I will be escalating these folks to the BBB as they refuse to give me a refund for the nights I had a dysfunctional hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Let me start by saying...DONT stay here! I'll start with the rooms, smelly, beds are hard as cement, towels are like course sand paper, linen is from an hourly hotel.. Next the food, by the second day I almost got sick smelling it, always the same things, four restaurants on site, only 2 sitting a night, 630 and 900, food was terrible! Not fresh at all! The pool was ok at best, jacuzzi didn't work the whole week we were there and it looked like the top of a pond with things just floating around.. The beach was pretty nice, if you wanted a contact high from the the bums trying to sell weed and who knows what.. Jet ski and parasail hawks won't leave anyone alone.. Really not much to do on site, but lay by the pool and drink, which I did a few days..A few staff members were very nice, but a lot of them wanted tips without saying..over all the hotel needs a full makeover!! Food/rooms/staff.. Would not take a free trip here.. I forgot there were four of us that traveled and all of us were sick at one time or another...DO not stay here!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Placed hasn't changed in its basic content in years. Still a rather small operation and still is capable of delivering a consistent and fairly good quality.
Rooms are rather spacious, recently renovated and moderately kept up.
Property layout is as such that even having a Garden view is not a handicap. Besides, if you think about it, how much time do you spend in your room, hanging over the railing and watching the waves. Such an overrated selling point for an Ocean View.
Food is fresh and well prepared, with a fairly nice variety of fish, poultry and meat dishes.
Kids always have their pizza and muffins.
Staff is predominantly courteous a yes, sometimes a little slow in executing your requests...but hey, you are in the Caribbean and you have to take a chill pill.
The Host Manager Laura was receptive to our requests and before we knew it, everything was done.
Our breakfast and lunch waitress Julian would greet us every morning with a smile as big as the Jamaican sun. Ja Mon.
One thing that I didn't like, but it is not isolated to this Hotel - is the wet bar where certain type of folks park for the duration of the day and am not sure if they ever come out of the water to relieve themselves.
Solution is to stay at the beach and disregard this absolutely crazy idea of sitting at the pool while in the Caribbean.
Bottom line: thumbs up.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We have just come back form 2 weeks holiday and had a great time. However this hotel is not up to Riu palace standards. The food was average , the coffee was awful, al acarte restaurants were better than your average , staff was happy and helpful especially when they were tipped. I have to mention the waitress called Natalie who worked at the pool bar . She was a star and had a charming personality .she was extremely dedicated to her job all the time , never stopped working . To an extend that we felt her absence on her days of . She is an asset to the hotel.
We had problems with the toilet on our first day which was rectified after a few phone calls .
The hotel will benefit with some more toilets nearer the pools and the restaurants .
The bloody bay is ideal if you are into jogging , windsurfing and going on the catamaran .
I loved Jamaica and the Jamaican people will definitely go back next year.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
swansea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Hi just returned from a weeks break from this hotel check in which was handled great by Nicola who offered us a chocie of rooms .the restraunts were all good we ate in the four themed ones all great food and service . mini bar was filled up as soon as you used anything towels changed daily bed turned down every night you had waiter service all around the hotel including the beach all the staff were very very friendly even the boys on the beach were great fun my only concern was the lack of toilets for such a big hotel very strange they had couple good shows but great place to relax and chill out plenty of sun beds so no early mornings big thankyou to all the staff

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!