My husband and I travelled between Sept 20th and Sept 27th, 2013. The bus ride from the airport was fine and cold Red Stripes were waiting for us on the bus, which was very welcome. We stopped along the way for a bathroom / drink break - which was 15 minutes before our hotel arrival. Upon arrival, the front desk staff were fabulous. Our first room keys were given. Unfortunately, they placed us in a standard room which was unacceptable, given we booked Junior Suite. Michael at the front desk was so amazing. He quickly fixed that up for us and off we went.
Rooms: Very clean, 2 double beds pushed together, but extremely comfortable. Cleaning services were perfect and turn down service was a nice touch. Air conditioner worked ok. We were in room 5121, close to everything.
Food: Awesome buffet. Something for everyone. If you can't find something suitable, then you have issues. Lunch buffet was the best. I keep telling all my friends that you can definitely gain weight, the food was so good. Dinners at Steak, Krysal and Japanese were wonderful. My favorite by far was the steak dinner and Japanese. Simply amazing. Krystal unfortunately did not have their a/c on, which perhaps contributed to it not being my favorite.
Beach: Best beach we've ever been at, and we are seasoned travellers. Clear water, no waves, hot hot hot. There were friendly sting rays as well who visited, so make sure to take your camera along.
Pool: We went to the pool area only once (because the beach was just too lovely). It was nice. They are a bit small so don't expect anything grandiose. The water was also too hot for my liking, but clean and enjoyable none-the less.
People: Just wonderful. Polite and always helpful. Again a huge shout out to Michael at the front desk. Always helpful (even with connecting our Wi-Fi). Loved all the people from cleaning services, waiters / waitresses etc. Always made you feel comfortable and took every opportunity to ensure you were having a fabulous holiday.
Excursions: We booked deep sea fishing through Stanley's. Very nice individuals and a great morning all around. Ricks Café / Shopping at Time Square & local markets - That was an ok adventure. The shopping was not the greatest, but it was nice to see locals and get to know them better.
Resort overall: It was overall an excellent first trip to Jamaica and I loved everything about this place. Yes, it could use some minor enhancements, such as more lush gardens/flowers around the resort and perhaps some new paint on the outside buildings. But these are definitely not things that would stop me from recommending this resort to any of my family / friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica