“I want to go BACK!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | Bloody Bay Beach, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #30 of 91 hotels in Negril
New York City, New York
“I want to go BACK!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have been back a week and I wish I could rewind the clock. We had the BEST time!!!! We stayed in room 2112 (partial ocean view) we expected full ocean view and wanted to change our room but we stayed and didn't make a big deal. The beach is the BEST!!! Just as nice as the beaches in Hawaii. The sand is sooooo soft the water is soooo clear and warm. The food was really GOOD!!!! Johnny at the jerk chicken stand on the beach A MUST!!!!!!!! Eat, drink and relax all on the beach what's not to love!!!! The staff was out of this world. Friendly, helpful, polite. We played games by the pool and beach. Melissa thank you for my many "special" drink on the beach. Riu I will be back!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

3,293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Polish first
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

RIU Tropical Bay
Keisha Adams (Large Group / Wedding Coordinator)
Norman Manley Blvd
Negril, Jamaica
876-441-7556

As an executive assistant and corporate event planner, my latest event was hosted in Negril Jamaica, at the RIU Palace Tropical Bay. Prior to my arrival at the hotel, I was told this location had been oversold, right away this made me nervous, as I was locked into a contract, with 35 rooms blocked and prepaid for in my group, and as you can imagine I wanted them to all be on the same property. I was assured that everyone would be, and I asked for a rooming list from the main office prior to my arrival to be sure that their master list matched my list, however, I was only given back the list that I forwarded to them, so I let it go, MISTAKE…. Upon arrival when the bus pulled up to the property, I was a bit shocked at the appearance of the hotel from the outside, there was a mound of dirt in the front and made the hotel’s curb appeal look low class, I know this mound has been there for months because when I came to Montego Bay in December of 2012 we took a shopping trip to Negril and I remember riding past this hotel with the mound of dirt in front thinking WOW, I’m glad we’re not staying there LOL. I had NO IDEA when I was doing my online search; this was the hotel I was booking. I was very disappointed in the condition of the resort for the ratings it’s received. They also had a large unfinished area in the lawn outside of the main buffet that was quite an eye soar. Visual effects say a lot, what you see and how it STIMULATES YOUR SENSES, has a lot to do with the opinion you carry away about a specific destination. In Montego Bay we stayed in the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, the rooms there were absolutely beautiful and I was excepting the same thing here, but didn’t get it. I had several people in my group complain that their rooms were not ready, which I expected as I was previously warned this hotel was oversold, what I was not expecting is that unannounced to me, they would send the one of my people (who just so happened to be traveling alone, and didn’t have a guest in his room) over to the other property RIU Club Negril. I was very upset as this person was sent to be all alone at a different resort, while the remainder of us was in the Palace. I stood at the front desk for almost 4 hours trying to get this issue corrected, needless to say it took until the next day and I my guest had to spend one night alone at a different resort. In addition to this I had at least 3 rooms complain that their air conditioner was not working, and needless to say in Negril in June, you would want the AC to be working properly. I also had several complaints of rooms having an odor. (I didn’t ask what it smelled like, but to hear a room has an “ODOR” never sounds good) This hotel had the potential to be a much more fun and exciting place, however I felt like a teenager on curfew, because everything on the resort closed down at 10 or 11 PM, and it was like you either had to find a cab to drive you up and down Norman Manley Blvd to find something to do, or you could go up to your room and go to bed.. Seriously, the lobby bar was open all night, but that’s about it. They this bill this resort as having a 24 hour room service feature, however if no one answers the phone, then LOL, you’re out of luck, which is what happened to us. We called for room service, and the phone rang about 30 times, so we hung up and called back again, same thing… We got the hint.
I can’t tell you all the things that disappointed me without giving you the highlights, Dwight Smith, at the Renova Spa, Sheena at the Front Desk did an amazing job helping; she’s a very kind young lady, Keisha Adams, the large group and wedding coordinator as well as Shelly a hostess/waitress in the main buffet made my stay worth it. They were amazing people who made me feel welcomed while I was there in the resort, and I must say that my issues with rooming didn’t extend from anything they did, those issues stemmed from RIU’s corporate office in Mexico. The employees there did their best to make it right, and I appreciated them for that. Additionally the FOOD WAS AMAZING! AND THE BEACH!!! WOW!! SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL, The sand was so soft, and the water was like a warm bath. They also had a Jerk Hut on the Beach that was DELICIOUS!!! Would I return to this hotel? I’m still undecided about that one, but I can say I don’t regret my choice, only because of the people I met, and the experience I had will all serve to make me an even better event coordinator. Overall, it was an ok hotel, if they just make a few tweaks, and stop deliberately overbooking, it would be a much better experience for those traveling after me! Good Luck to you, and if you see any of those people I just name above, smile, as I’m sure they will treat you with the same kindness and customer service they showed me. If I ever return and have a different experience I will be more than sure to write another review to update everyone! Hope this review helps you make your choice.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for a Beach Front Room, and Ocean View Room mean just that, you can see the ocean, i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Montego Bay, Saint James, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My son and I enjoyed our one night stay at this hotel. My son had so much fun that while we were playing in the water he blurted," Mommy you can leave me here and go to your work and return for me on a Sunday. Can I go to Riu School?"
The room I stayed in had a mini bar which was stocked with alcoholic beverages and soda. Thus if you are one who enjoy the idea of having alcohol had your hands reach this is the perfect place to be. Also there is a pool bar in which you can swim up and order your alcoholic beverage. The nightly entertainment was mesmerizing. The food is really nothing to write home about, but overall the package is value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms are all good. You basically must advise your preference. Hence you need to state whether y...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for a fortnight in September 2012, it was our third time to Jamaica and our second stay at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay. The beach here is absolutely beautiful with soft white sand and the sea is clear and warm with quite a few fish swimming around. The staff are friendly and helpful; we always sat in the same area every morning for breakfast and our waiter was brilliant remembering our tea/coffee and juice order as soon as we sat down. The food in the buffet restaurant was good and there was always plenty to choose from. The jerk shack on the beach was where we had lunch most days - fantastic chicken and a choice of mild or hot (very hot!) sauce. Out of the a la carte restaurants my favourites were the Italian and steakhouse; you have to book the a la cartes in the morning up near reception but we never had any problems and there were never any large queues to contend with! The rooms are a pretty good size and have optics and a minibar which is restocked daily with soft drinks, mixers and beer. The only issue we had with our room was the air con - it went down in the whole resort for a few days so the room was too hot and uncomfortable, we didn't sleep properly for 3 or 4 nights because of this, but our tour operator Thomson gave us compensation for each day the air con was down - this was paid in resort by the rep which is far better than having the hasstle of trying sort it out once you return home.

All in all a great holiday and next time we're looking for a holiday in Jamaica we'll be coming to the Riu Palace Tropical Bay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
emmaus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Bed bugs!Never stayed at a resort that turns off the air conditioner in the middle of the night and bed bugs attacked us every night. Pools were small and filthy. Food had flies all around it at the buffet. Had to walk by a dead decaying frog in the hallway that was never cleaned up. Not one shade hut and if your under trees which are sparce you get attacked by bugs or bird droppings. Room service was horrible. Cheese was moldy on one of the sandwitches. Broken chairs on beach. Bar staff visibly fighting with waitstaff and one bathroom for entire resort unless you walk back to your room.I have went on more than 40 resort vacations and this was terrible. I cannot understand the great reviews.Dreams and Secrets property are 100 time better. We also never had water in our fridge.had to wait for hours to get water! The beach and water is beautiful on this stretch of beach but hotel is falling apart.Literally paint peeling off the building and rust spots in shower and visible mold all along the bathroom ceiling. Riu never again.Maid never changed the sheets the entire stay and beds are as hard as a rock.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Berlin, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed in on the 3rd Floor of Building 4, in an ocean view room. The room was nice, everything was clean. On the negitive side, we didn’t have air conditioning the first night. We were told it was due to rolling black outs, and it would be back on before long. After a humid night of non-sleep, we inquired at the desk again in the morning and they had our room nice and chilly when we got back from our island tour. The only room complaint is the two small beds they put side-by-side to create one big bed. It doesn’t work; I kept ending up falling between the two and having to get up to shove the beds back together. The staff is very friendly and helpful. No elevators at all, so prepared to climb stairs. The beach is beautiful, the food was good, and the nightly entertainment was enjoyable. Overall, not a bad place to stay.

Room Tip: We were in Building 4, with a nice beach view. It was close enough to the food/lobby/beach and far...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were on holiday 24th May till 7th June 2013 and could not have asked for a better place to go. This was our first time in Jamaica and we will absolutely be going back again. Hotel, food and staff were all absolutely fantastic. The beach is beautiful and if you do not wish to be bothered by the beach sellers just lie a bit back from the sea and they can not bother you but to be honest if you just told them you were not interested they left you alone and were friendly with it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!