“Late December Tropical Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

You added Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | Bloody Bay Beach, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #28 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Shelbyville, Tennessee
“Late December Tropical Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

A really neat place. We took teenage boys with us. The food choices worked out great for a family because there is something for everyone. The beach is as beautiful as you'll hear everyone say. The grounds are clean and well kept. The staff friendly and accomodating. As with many Central/Latin places, the bedding was rock solid- but otherwise the room acomodations were very nice. We'd certainly return. Be sure and check in on the specialty dinner reservations early as they fill fast- but are worth it. The Crystal & Steakhouse were both good choices.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Polish first
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed Dec 15-22nd. Our family of five (3 teenaged daughters) enjoyed our trip immensely! I cannot say enough about the staff at this resort.
We booked our private airport transfer with Reggae Tours - they get great reviews for a reason. They are great!!! This is the only way I'll travel from now on. There is nothing more reassuring than having someone waiting for you at the airport to take you to your resort.
Right from the check-in, Michael and Andrew were phenomenal. We were upgraded to an ocean front room (booked oceanview) at no extra cost. I simply asked! The bartenders (Marcia and Latoya) the wait staff (Shelley and Dwayne) and the Entertainment Staff (HotDog,Jason,Renessa,Neil,KO and Michael) were beyond WONDERFUL!!!! We think they all deserve raises! They work soooooo hard at making our stay as perfect as can be - and they succeeded!!!! The dancers from the Riu Negril (sister resort) came and performed with our entertainment staff and were simply great (especially Camilla)! The entertainment staff were always around to help to make our vacation fun! We are a family that participates in the games, etc so we were never bored. They also respected us when we didn't want to participate. They are 'JUST RIGHT'. The people of Jamaica are the kindest, friendliest, most welcoming people I have ever met! I cannot comment on the al a carte restaurants as we absolutely LOVED the buffet. It was always great food and we enjoyed the convenience of not having set meal times. Thanks to my friend Garfield at the breakfast buffet - who remembered what I had in my omlette every morning! What a fine man! The jerk chicken hut on the beach? TO DIE FOR!!! I am still craving that chicken! We went to Margartiaville (free shuttle) and enjoyed a night there. We also went on the cruise to Rick's Cafe with snorkeling and cliff diving (absolutely a must!). Ziplining and tubing with Chukka Tours was a great experience as well (very fun staff). My husband went out fishing with Mandela one morning. He parks his boat near building 6 and my husband was very impressed with him. I also had a 'bedrock' massage with Carolyn. It was good as well. We thoroughly enjoyed the beach at the Riu Palace. I have never seen a nicer one. The water is crystal clear and shallow and warm! We stayed in building #6 on the main floor. I never once saw any bugs or had any problems with our room. Of course the odd time the toilets would plug, etc. but nothing too big at all. Any issues are taken care of at some point (remember -island speed!). We did get bit by the sand fleas (?). I'm not sure I ever saw any, but we did have bites on us. All in all, the trip was one of our best trips ever and I wouldn't hestitate for a second to recommend this place to any of my family and friends. The best saying of the trip??? "In Jamaica, we have no problems - just small situations".

Room Tip: Simply ask for oceanfront. They will try to accomodate anything you ask for. I enjoyed bldg #6 as...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We are, like many others, are returners. As with another previous review, there has change of management and the food was exceptional, the wine choice much better and as always the staff were eager to please and very very helpful which has always been the case. We must mention at this stage, Riu Tropicals famous weather predictor – Mario who always has a smile and a daily prediction, which he insists is ALWAYS correct “very sunny”, any dark clouds are “passing” and any water drops are not from rain but because you are “too hot that’s why your wet”. We love this hotel, its location and its people, we have been back home now for 1.5 days (being 19th today) and looking at going back for more in April if we can loose the weight we gained in the last two weeks. Riu Tropical is not perfect, but any short-falls, for us are not worth mentioning, as they are more than compensated for in other more important things.
Davy and Mags UK

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

First, let me stay that I booked at this hotel at the very last minute and I am so glad I did. Please read my review at sunset at the palms as I don't want to rehash that review.

1. Facility : gorgeous grounds that have a Spanish accent. Huge and beautiful lobby with fantastic service with the first hello. Checking in was seamless as they had my name listed on their files and had my room ready on arrival. We were given an orientation of grounds and told how reservations for dinner at their restaurants were made. We stayed in a junior suite with ocean side view which was unbelievable. We listened to the waves that calmed us to sleep that first night. Dinner was great nbuffet with many options unlike sunset at the palms which had very few options. Beach is gorgeous and the service was outstanding. Only negative is bathroom plumbing was a little weak as shower pressure was very lowand toilets didn't flush very well. Very nice entertainment as they had live comedy show when we checked in.
2. Amenities : true all inclusive as the rooms were stocked with alcohol,pop, water daily. Zero complaints. They have a spa called renova spa which was a great massage. We got a 50 min couples massage which was great. Pools are very nice but did the beach mostly. Decent fitness center with treadmills and some machines, only a few free weights but I got a good sweat.taxi service ready to get you town on a whim. Free wi fi in the room and throghout grounds as opposed only the lobby area at sunset at the palms.
3. Service many different excursions to do out of town that can be arranged at your convenience. We booked our activities ourselves and it seemed to cause a little confusion as we only had email confirmation and they needed 'vouchers' for everything. Not sure if it would have been easier booking actives at hotel. Can do jet skiing, parasailing, and boat rides while there for extra cost as in not part of all inclusive as would be expected. Overall, a fantastic stay. Would definitely come back

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

It's was so wonderful vacation! Everything was perfect: flight by Delta (on time), hotel, room, food. But especially sun and weather. The beach was amazing. The color of water is spectacular . The people of Jamaica are wonderful. I can't say enough about the staff and service . I would definitely go back.Thank you everybody!

Room Tip: We stayed at building 4 room 218. This location is just perfect!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Great holiday ! Staff excellent. Food was good, beach awesome and clean no complaints! The locals on the beach weren't even that bad ... Just ignore them we went to Ochoa rio for our second week and left after 2 days to return to this resort. We had an incredible time !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
great yarmoth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed at the riu palace tropical bay from 28th november to the 12th december .
Anyone who gives a bad review about this hotel will not be happy ANYWHERE.
We cannot find a bad thing to say about this hotel food was good the entertainments team worked very hard to keep people happy .
All the resturant and bar staff were friendly and helpfull .
Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff room was kept clean and fridge well stocked .
The beach and hotel were beautiful the ocean so calm and safe.
The beach vendors were no problem at all a polite no thank you allways works .
We would like to thank all the staff especially Wayon Elton Jaqucenth and Jodeen on the bar
and Winston / Tommy Lee they are all lovely people who went out of their way to make sure we had a fantastic stay .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!