This is the fourth time we have stayed in this hotel, and as usual had a great time. We were offered room upgrade to ocean front, but turned this down as we like to get the sun in the morning, and after being upgraded last year and didn't get the sun until afternoon, we asked if we could have a room in block 4, as we know from previous experience that these rooms get the sun for most of the day. However, we still had a great view of the ocean even although so not facing. Unless you get a jacuzzi room the ocean front rooms are exactly the same as the rest anyway!!
Most of the staff have been working here for years, and they always remember you. Latoyah in the morning was excellent and always ensured we had the same table, as was Winston in the evening. Didn't really do lunch apart from the jerk chicken hut so can't really comment on lunch service. However, I have to say I was very disappointed with the quality of the food this year. The salad bar was quite poor most days, and most of the meat or beef dishes were always cooked a bit too long, and on a couple of occasions it was impossible to cut up. Breakfast was a hit or a miss with some days not having bacon or sausages, and as a previous reviewer said, the egg plates were almost empty.
I was also disappointed with the standard of dress in the evenings. It used to be that the hotel insisted people dressed a bit for dinner, but it looked like many people came in stil dressed in beach wear. During the day this is fine, but in the evening, it would be nice if people made an effort!
The first week we were there it was really quiet, which was just what we wanted. Peace and quiet, no hassle to get to food stations, no queues for drinks, nice quiet spots on the beach, but the second week got really busy, and as a previous reviewer said, some guests don't like to queue, and also like to be heard!!!
I know this sounds a bit negative, but only because we have been used to things being different in prevuous years. The hotel is still beautiful, the staff are excellent (treat them as you would want to be treated yourself, surely that's not difficult), the rooms were lovely and cleaned every day with plenty of fresh towels, fridge sticked regularly, even a couple of days when we didn't need re-stocked we came into find extra water and cold drinks. The reception staff were very helpful, and on the couple of occasions we had a problem, it was fixed almost immediately!!
I also didn't feel the need to tip all the time as we got excellent service regardless. However, I would recommend giving the staff something at the end of your stay, as they really do their best to make sure you have a good holiday. And they will recognise you if you have been before, and will go out of their way to let you know they do remember you.
All in all a really peacefuly relaxing holiday, and I will definitely be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Despegar.com, Priceline, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica