“A New Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Caves

Save Saved
You added The Caves to your Saves list
The Caves
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Light House Road | P.O. Box 3113, Negril, Jamaica   |
Special Offer
Sublime Summer
Ranked #2 of 91 hotels in Negril
st louis
“A New Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

This was our second trip to the Caves, and it could not have been better. This is the place to sit back and relax, don't worry about anything. Food and staff are excellent. Can't wait to go back next year. You can be as busy as you want or not. You are well taken care of here, as the staff said as we arrived "wecolme home".

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

470 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

My husband and I had our destination wedding in Negril with 86 of our closest friends and family. After they all left we headed to The Caves for a short honeymoon. It was exactly what we needed. This place is unlike any other I have ever been to. It is truly magnificent and worth every single penny.

It is so unbelievably romantic and relaxing. It was just what we needed after a year of wedding planning and all the excitement of 5 days of wedding festivities…we completely decompressed here.

The food is divine!! Go for the combo plates. I am still dreaming about those banana pancake breakfasts. The staff is beyond excellent. Every single person we encountered was fabulous. Service is top notch. There are no TV’s and no phones. It’s the perfect getaway. I highly suggest the sunset hot-tub, the private dinner in the caves, and a couple’s massage at the spa.

Thanks to all the wonderful staff at The Caves; Paul, Emron, Jeanine, Avery, Brian, and everyone whose names I am forgetting, you made us feel so welcome and we loved spending those four nights with you. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

When we researched The Caves as a potential honeymoon spot, we found a large number of flowing reviews- between the intimate nature of the resort, the absolutely delicious food and the unique aspect of the location, it was a quick decision that this is where we wanted to honeymoon.

The reviews we read and the one I am about to write does not do this place justice. Our 7 day visit gave new meaning to the word “relax” and we both have a huge appreciation for all of the employees that make this place one of the best in the Caribbean.

When we arrived on Sunday night around sunset, we were greeted with cliff hangers and given a tour. I thought to myself, “this place is great but so quiet” it took a moment for me to realize that I needed to unwind and let go of our busy, crazed chaotic lives. It was in that moment that I realized that The Caves isn’t quiet at all, it’s filled with the noises of nature- birds, bats, and water crashing against the rocks. You can find peace just listening to this.

Each day became better than the last, bringing me more dirty bananas (a fabulous drink made with fresh bananas, rum and cream), hours in the sun, long afternoon naps and absolutely incredible meals. When we were talking to another couple they put it perfectly by stating “it is white cloth dining at every meal” The only meal that remained consistent was breakfast- because each day the options for breakfast were endless. Lunch and dinner changed daily. We ordered the combo at every meal and everything was so fresh and cooked to perfection. The items we enjoyed the most were the French toast, lobster, snapper, shrimp in curry sauce and the carrot ginger soup. We loved everything we ate, but these items were the ones that truly stood out.

Although the resort isn’t known for their activities, you will not be bored here. Sure, part of the Caves experience is laying Cliffside reading, resting and sleeping, but you can be as active as you want- we did yoga one day and snorkeled with Paul- both were incredible experiences. This was my husband’s first time doing yoga and we both felt even more relaxed and rejuvenated afterwards. Attending the yoga class will definitely enhance your Caves experience.

Snorkeling was breathtaking and exciting, we saw starfish, stingreys, turtles and Lion fish. There are 2 spots on the tour that you dive under water and underneath two caves and pop up on the other wise- don’t try and figure out which caves these are, go with Paul. When you swim underneath them, swim low because the tide will bring you up and you risk hitting the rocks.

We dined the one night in Cave #1 and were speechless when we saw the cave. As we walked down the winding staircase we saw the cave aglow with candles. As we got closer and closer to the cave, it became brighter and brighter and even more beautiful as we approached it. Of course our meal was delicious (this was the carrot ginger soup night!) and the atmosphere we dined in is indescribable- serene, private and romantic. This was the most romantic thing either one of us had ever done.

The hot tub during sunset was another experience you must do when you come here. The view is amazing and lets you take in everything The Caves has to offer.
We ended our week with spa treatments which relaxed us even more (at this point, we didn’t think it was possible). I had Elizabeth give me a body massage and it - truly a full body massage as she focused on everything and the best scalp massage I was ever given- the strong peppermint shampoo tingled and felt refreshing. My husband had a mint body wrap that he describes as “intense” he loved every minute of it and continued to comment on how wonderful his skin feels.

As sad as I was to leave this place, I am certain we will return. Thanks to the Caves, you really satisfied our mind, body and spirit.

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I visited The Caves from December 13 - 19, 2009. This was our third trip to Jamaica and we have also traveled all over the world and visited so many great places. But this place, a gem on the cliffs of Negril, is really special.

We arrived at the Negril Aerodrome Sunday afternoon via a 15 minute Timair flight from Montego Bay and were met by a Caves staff member who drove us the rest of the 20 minutes to The Caves. Upon arrival we were treated to a Cliffhanger while we filled out paperwork and got checked in. We were then taken on a tour of the property while our bags were taken to our room. After the tour (which was VERY helpful) we were shown to our room, the Blue Dolphin. We loved this room from the moment we walked in. The room was spacious and tranquil, with a front porch that you could sit on for hours just sipping drinks and looking through the lush gardens and to the ocean. Everything about our stay at The Caves was amazing, but to make this review easier, here are the breakdowns:

Food: Was wonderful! Since the resort is so small the meals are prepared with so much more love and care than any other place we have visited. There are always to options for both breakfast and lunch, and you can do one or the other OR get the combo, which is fantastic. We aren't people who eat dessert very often, but the Bananas Flambe was amazing! We also ate dinner at both the Red Table and in Cave #2. I think it's important for people to understand that dinners in these special places do not come with a "special menu", you are served whatever is on the menu for that night (which is ALWAYS good). You can request to eat something different, but you have to do it in advance. One couple at the resort asked for full lobsters, claws and all, for their special dinner. The Caves can accommodate all your requests, just ask!

Dining: There are a few special options for places to dine around the resort. At breakfast and lunch, there is a gazebo that overlooks the ocean, which is a beautiful place to eat. We never ate in it, because the same couple grabbed it for both breakfast and lunch every day for the week that we were there, but it is a beautiful table if you can grab it. There is also the Red Table, which you can reserve for dinner at the front office. This table is decorated with candles and flowers and is set off from the normal dinner area for a private meal. I have to note, that while we enjoyed our meal at the Red Table, it is right next to the path that leads to the dinner area, so people will walk by you while you eat. It didn't bother us, but it might bother some. Lastly, there are two options for private cave dinners, Cave #1 and Cave #2. While Cave #1 is more small and therefore could seem more intimate, we chose Cave #2 for our dinner. Cave #2 was open to the ocean and provided a nice breeze while we ate. We never got too hot as we heard Cave #1 was.

The Sunning Platforms: Yes, you do have to wake up around 7am to get one of the nice sunning platforms. But besides the 4 main sunning platforms on the cliffs, there are other sunning spots all over the resort. We picked a different sunning spot every day, but we did notice that some couples liked to use the same one. We were on vacation, so we didn't get worked up if one of the areas we wanted to relax in that day was already in use. We just chose another and never had a bad spot all week.

Things to Do: We scheduled both a kayak and snorkel trip with Paul. Both trips were fun and Paul really knows his way around cliffs and caves in the ocean around The Caves and along the Negril coastline. Paul also showed us his "Suicide" dive and dove off the balcony where they served dinner, which was over 70 feet! He is surely the King of the Ocean"! We also scheduled a couples massage with Michelle and another lady (I sadly cannot remember her name!), which was SO wonderful. I have had several massages in my lifetime, but this one was really special. Overlooking the ocean, with the breeze and the sound of the waves as I received one the best massages I have ever had, was pure bliss. We also booked the evening hot tub (which is actually luke warm water, but believe me, you wouldn't want it warmer in the Jamaican heat) . We did not book the sunset one, because it was full for the day we wanted it, but we didn't mind at all. We actually enjoyed the serenity of staring out into the night sky while sitting in the tub and listening to the sound of the waves crash against the cave below us. It was nice to be able to have the hot tub after dinner and not have to rush to leave like you might have to with the sunset time slot.

The Staff: I cannot say enough great things about the staff on this resort. They were amazing! Imron, Orane, Leon, Glen, Paul and all the other wonderful people at The Caves really made our stay special. They are there for you if you need them and if you don't, they leave you alone. This was not like some resorts where the staff walks around and tries to sell you spa treatments, pictures, or tours (like they do at the big resorts). This place is all about relaxation and everyone takes care of you like you are family!

Our room: The Blue Dolphin was simply perfect. It was relaxing and spacious, with a little table by a window that opened to the garden area. The front porch was our favorite, it had a small table and two couch-like chairs. We could look out our door and see the ocean through the small garden that was right in front. It gave the vibe of being able to see the ocean and enjoy the view, but still have privacy from people walking by. It was very clean and housekeeping kept it pristine and well-stocked the whole time we were there. We loved the huge bathtub too!

Extras: Bring $1, $5 and $10 bills. We tipped after every meal and then again at the end of our stay to individuals, such as the bartenders, Paul, housekeeping, anyone and everyone who deserved it (and they all do). It was actually probably more "expensive" to tip this way, but we don't care. We came to The Caves expecting great service and we received it and so much more! The staff works hard and they deserve great tips! Also, bring bug spray, you will get bit if you don't. There is a journal in every room, which includes a lot of advice from past guests. We learned a lot of great things by reading the journal throughout the week, so I recommend everyone take a peek while you're there. Lastly, be friendly to the other guests! This is such a small resort and you see the same people often. My husband and I made some great friends while we were there! Beth & Keith and Melanie & Ryan: Caves reunion 2011! :)

I could go on and on about this place, but the past reviews for this place all say the same thing. This place is exceptional, we were treated like family and were not disappointed. And we will definitely be coming back!

Devon,UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed at The Caves for 21 nights (28/11-19/12/09). We booked Onedrop, mainly because we wanted a room on its own. I was so disappointed! The room was very dark with not much natural light, and the shower YUK!! I don't dislike outside showers but it was filthy. The mat we were supposed to stand on to shower was black with mould and undeneath the pallet it was caked with debris and mud. Our housekeeper Margaret, was brilliant however and did get Hugh (another housekeeper) to clean it for us but not for 10 days or so into our stay. The setting of this resort is stunning to say the least and I can understand why people rave about it and come back year after year. We have been to many islands in the caribbean and stayed at lots of different hotels and I have say that we would not come back here. It has lots of great things going for it, the staff for one. Danicke, Sherenette and Melicia were fantastic. But the office staff had memories like colanders and forgot to do lots of things or didn't pass on messages correctly to the right departments. We had a fridge with a personality disorder that made very loud bangs day & night, it took 3 attempts at reporting it to get anything done, then only because of another problem when my hubby had had enough and went to complain! The other problem was,that a guard or someone at night went fishing on the ledge where we used to sit, they left blood and stuff from fish laying on the floor. We told reception who said they would get it cleared away - it didn't happen I washed it away in the end with bottled water. The next morning it was there again, we went back to them and told them again, this time the manageress came out (still don't know her name - as she never once introduced herself!!). This time something was done. The office also forgot to book a special table for my birthday - it was only due to these other probs that I checked late afternoon it had been done that we found out it hadn't. Afterwards I found out that they should have decorated the table with flowers and tried to make it special as it was they didn't so it was just like all the other meals. There were other things too, the manageress did try to make it up to us by giving us a goody bag free with rum, coffee and a CD in it and on our last but night they did a special table with flowers, but it was a shame that they didn't do it when they were supposed to really. Everybody like different things and the Cvaes did not suit us. We expected a little betetr having read the reviews on here and paying alot of dosh for this holiday. I'm sure other people who are looking for a great setting with drink on hand 24/7 will love it. By the way I don't like many cocktails but try a dirty banana - I became addicted to them.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
caves-management, Manager at The Caves, responded to this review, January 5, 2010
We would like to respond to the comment made by the guests who posted “Horses for Courses”, and who stayed with us for three weeks.

Firstly we are very sorry to hear that the issues you had with us here at The Caves made you this upset. We were aware that they a few issues during your stay (certainly not to the magnitude expressed on Trip Advisor) which all members of our team worked assiduously to correct and this was done.

With regard to the outdoor shower in One Drop, we must reiterate that having had heavy rains and showers before and during the time period, at times before the Housekeeper serviced the room – it would only be natural to have ‘some’ areas of the outdoor shower muddy. However, and as I understand it – the Housekeeping department did the best they could to keep on top of this. This included immediately changing the mat outside also.

The report from the Maintenance dept. is that whenever they went to the room to fix the refrigerator, it was not making the sounds reported. “It appear to be making the standard sounds of an operable refrigerator” It seemed that it was at night that this seemed to bother the guest, as all is usually quiet and peacefully and even the slightest sounds can appear a little loud for the very sensitive ears – however three times they checked and did what they could not hearing any sounds reported from the guest. Also note it was the first time that anyone staying in the room has reported such a problem as the refrigerator being too loud.

With the room One Drop, a very unique and charming one bedroom – it may seem dark at times as there are banana plants purposely grown up in front of the room in order to give the guest more privacy. During the day, in opening the louvers, it is not dark.

As for the reports of fishing, we would like to reiterate to ALL that our Security have NEVER been fishing off our rocks! It was reported that some of our very own guests in house were fishing so that they could have fresh fish cooked by our Chef’s the following day. All in all, we sent our Grounds men to clean up the small area and this was done on the two times the guest complained.

As for saying that the Manageress never introduced herself, well the manager that is being referred to is the very person that the guests would seek out each morning by walking directly into her office to give feedback as to how their stay was going. She even met guests when they checked in and communicated with guests each day throughout the entire stay, so sufficing to say if the couple did not know her name or have forgotten during their entire say they could have asked especially in their final conversation with her thanking her for all her help during their stay.

We are heartily sorry about the birthday dinner. The Front office had booked the “Stone Table” which was decorated beautifully and ready for the guests on the evening, however the evening dining manager was told that the guests had a back problem and could not sit there at the last minute – so the red table was quickly and efficiently put together for the guests’ birthday within minutes. A bottle of complimentary wine was also sent over.

When guests’ complained to the manager in her office the following morning, another evening with private ‘red table’ was booked and organised and all of the team felt bad to know that the guest did not enjoy her birthday. It is at that point that we sent a bottle of wine and fruit that day, as well as the gift bag of rum, coffee and CD – and also another bottle of wine with dinner at red table again that evening. The entire evening was a surprise to the guests and was a delight to them which they admitted. It was reported to the Evening Dining Manager that the guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves and the dinner, and top notch service and would be coming back to stay again!

We would like to again extend our heartfelt apologies to you and hope that we have in fact cleared up some concerns to others. We are here to go above and beyond with ALL guests, and the feedback on Trip Advisor is a testament to this.
We feel that all of our staff, not just the “morning staff” are people who love our guests and that again, looking at Trip Advisor comments you will see all mentioned in terms of service and passion – whether it is Paul in Watersports, Imron in evening, Donike in Morning, even Elvis who gives Tours – all are committed to the high standards and service that we are known all over the world for!
We hope that one day you will come back to the hotel and enjoy a vacation again in the future.
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

My husband and I were married at The Caves in late November. It was just the two of us, and they put on a beautiful ceremony complete with flowers, cake, great minister, a photographer and a unique setting. Where else could you take care of every wedding detail for only $1,000? The wedding service is a great option if you want a small or private wedding, and are happy with what the package offers and don't want a lot of extra things or have tons of detailed requests (this isn't a major resort churning out 100's of weddings a year). Our wedding was special, romantic and wonderful and we couldn't have been happier.
We stayed at The Caves for one week, as our honeymoon following the wedding. I have never stayed at an all-inclusive that is this small, and I had a great time getting to know the other guests. We even held an inpromptu poker tournament one night! The staff is wonderful and beyond nice, they are the ones who make your stay truly special.
We stayed at the Stardust, and really appreciated the privacy of being on the far side of the property, and having a cottage all to yourself. The rooms are very cute, and as other have said, clean and unique and special, but you're not at the Ritz so don't expect marble tile and luxury. We loved our adorable cottage.
We spent all day lounging by the water, and had no problem finding chairs and shade when we wanted it. You MUST do the snorkling with Paul, he's so knowledgeable and sweet. The food was excellent, the cocktails were outstanding and overall it was a wonderful and relaxing vacation.
We did everything that was suggested on this board - the snorkling guided tour, the hot tub, the caves dinner and massages at the spa. I recommend all of them - they're worth it! Also, jump into the blue hole. It's not nearly as scary as it looks. Oh, and I highly recommend bringing high DEET bug spray. Many guests did not get bit, but my husband and I were bit a lot. If you tend to get bit bring good bug spray!
We had one problem mar our otherwise perfect trip. It was a rather major issue, and while devastating I wouldn't have expected much of a resolution from any hotel. I won't even mention it here, as the Caves management went to UNBELIEVABLE effort to resolve this issue. The measures that they've taken will ensure this problem never happens again. And that is what singles out The Caves as a resort unlike any other.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

My wife and I returned from a week long stay (11/28 - 12/5) at The Caves to celebrate our anniversary.

It was the best week of our lives. Negril is our favorite place in Jamaica and The Caves is our favorite place in the world!

Every five star review has touched upon some aspect of it, but it is worth repeating.

The Setting - Magical, Breathtaking, Where God, Nature and Love converge. Pictures can't really capture the true beauty of this place. I took over 600 pictures - (My anniversary present from my wife) you will want to take pictures.

The Staff - Wonderful, Outstanding, they make you feel and treat you like family. You will want to tip them well. They will take care of any request you have. Many of them even used their day off to make sure we had every request met.

The Food - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner were at a minimum very, very good. Want something special let them know - they will make it happen!

A few tips

Bring "Ultrathon" bugs won't be an issue.
There is a jack to use your ipod in the room.
Reserve a cave dinner, sunset or moonlight hot tub

We loved it so much we plan to rent the entire property for a special occasion.

The one thing that could destroy this place is if they start to expand. Let's hope the love and vision that went into building this place is maintained.

One Love

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!