“Beautiful, quiet, romantic hotel; Good Diving in Negril” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Caves

You added The Caves to your Saves list
The Caves
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Light House Road | P.O. Box 3113, Negril, Jamaica   |
Special Offer
Summer Offer
Ranked #2 of 89 Hotels in Negril
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful, quiet, romantic hotel; Good Diving in Negril”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We went to The Caves for our anniversary. There were mostly honeymooners staying there. It is not a good choice for singles whom want an active night scene, though Rick's is right down the street. It is a beautiful, boutique hotel. Most of the rooms are bungalow style with one air-conditioned room downstairs and one open-air room upstairs. The upstairs rooms tend to have the gorgeous views of the ocean, but, can get a bit buggy at night. We stayed in Macka Tree which was upstairs and has a gorgeous view. My favorite spot was sitting on the couch with the windows open, the breeze flowing in and reading a good book while sipping a martini (drinks are included with premium brands offered). We left the lights out after dark. So, the bugs weren't too bad and there is a mosquito net for the bed that they spread for you during the turn down service. We were told that it had been unusually dry, so, the mosquitos weren't as prevalent as they usually are. Some nights there was a strong breeze and it was lovely, other nights it was still and got a little warm. We placed the standing fan within the mosquito netting, which helped. The staff at the resort are very friendly and helpful. Our favorites were Paul and Patrick. During the day, Paul is always smiling and helpful with kayaking, snorkeling or diving. You need to try the 15', 20', or 30' dive at least once. Paul will show you how it is done. Patrick is a lot of fun and keeps the party going. I believe he is a manager, but, we called him our fun director. Thanks for everything guys! We had a fantastic couples massage, one of the best massages ever, oceanfront with the breeze and sounds helping us to relax. Highly recommend the spa services. The resort has excellent security and we felt very safe while there, but, not so much off the resort. It is best to go with a driver. We discovered Robert with Determination Tours and Taxi Service, [--]. He has a huge, air-conditioned 12+ man mini-van and is reasonably priced. He picked us up at the hotel and escorted us around all day for shopping. Loved Times Square for souvenirs & jewelry, the craft market for wood carvings, and the local grocery store was the best price for coffee and perishables (Robert's suggestion). It was worth the extra expense of having him stay with us as we felt safer and were hassled less. He drove us to the airport and made the drive informative and interesting and was cheaper and better than the hotel's driver. We went diving with Negril Scuba Center on the beautiful 7 mile beach and the owner, David, picked us up and dropped us back off. We tipped him well for that service. They do refresher courses and beginner diving too. We are advanced divers and were very surprised that the diving was very worthwhile. There is a lot of beautiful marine life and coral only a 10 minute boat ride from shore. We dove the "Throne Room" which was fun as you dive through a hole into a vaulted chamber. There were many interesting places to explore during our 3 different dives. If you are a diver, make sure you go. I could not find anything about it before our trip, but, am glad that we tried it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

We stayed at the Caves two nights. Overall, we had a very nice visit, at a truly unique resort.

We stayed in Macka Tree, an upstair ocean view room. The view was simply spectacular, unmatched by any resort we've ever stayed in. On the surface, the room is great. However, there were a couple low lights. The bed itself was so firm, that it was like sleeping on a sheet of rock. We left with neck and back pain as a result. Also, there was no A/C. We visited in July, and this was a bad choice. It was extremely hot in the second floor room and we did not rest comfortably during our visit. If we had to do it over again, we would have opted for a first floor room with air conditioning.

I think the staff and the other guests made this resort for me. As others have mentioned, there's not much to do here. The pool is small, the nightlife is nonexistant, and there's no TV or phones. In short, it's paradise for relaxation. That being said, I could see myself being bored over a long trip. For us, the interaction with the staff and the other guests was key. The staff encouraged a good time, and the other guests added to the fun. Most late afternoons, it seemed like the whole resort congregated at the pool for happy hour.

The meals were great. I was taken off guard a bit when I asked what was for breakfast, and told 'anything you want, mon'. Who would think that all inclusive and fine dining would go hand and hand?

We did not get to do the cave dinner or the cave spa while we were there, as it was completely booked. Also, the rum and cigar bar was not open during our visit. This was a little disappointing since we asked a couple times during hte day and were told it would be open at night.

Some advice;

Be social. Sit in the lounge and talk to everyone who passes by. People are shy at first, but you won't regret getting to know the other people at the resort.

Don't be a loser. Jump!!!

Wear bug spray.

Have fun!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

We just returned back from 4 nights 5 days at the caves, Monday-Friday, it just was not long enough !!! We stayed in the sundancer, it is a two bedroom hut, we had to share one of the king beds, but that was fine for us. The weather was great, I was afraid it was going to be raining, the entire time, to our surprise, only once, on our last evening. We had wonderful massages, foot reflexology, jumped from the cliffs, kayaked, walked to ricks, drank a ton of cliff hangers, drank a ton of red stripe, sat in the pool, took amazing yoga, watched dolphins, snorkled, had real jerk chicken from some locals, went into town to the craft market (more like a junk market, but my one girlfriend really had to bring home souvineirs) relaxed, read books, drank coffee, swam in the ocean, ate breakfast, went to bed by 8 or 9 pm every night. It was just great. Everyone at the resort was also super friendly, staff included. I would go back again for sure !!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

The Caves is one of my favourite places in the world. I love the privacy of this hotel, the rustic luxury and the staff! I can't remember ever feeling more like i was at home, then at the Caves.

At first i was afraid of jumping into the ocean, even hopping off the ladders, but once I got in, I slowly forgot about the lack of beach, and felt like i had my own private swimming pool.

I would 100% return and recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

I should have written this when my memory was more fresh, but here goes... The Caves is an amazing resort. My wife and I travel extensively and have been to some great places, but the Caves will be hard to beat. The staff was awesome - across the board. If you asked, they made it happen. So ask. The setting/property was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The accomodations are unique, and very relaxed. It is not the Ritz, but I for one would take it over any Ritz i have stayed at (NYC, Naples, Boston,Chicago). We had a 2br. Great view from upstairs. Could hear the waves crash. No AC, not really needed in April. The food was great. I ordered both of the dinner options each night. Unbelievable breakfast. Great drinks. Dinner in the Cave was beautiful, but it got a bit stuffy after a while. Sunset in the 2 person hot tub was nice - though not a must do. I got a great massage, went snorkeling and jumped off all of the cliffs. Walked to Ricks cafe, got a driver one night to take us to some beach parties. It was a great vacation. For some people this is not a good place to go. I will list some considerations:

- there is not much activity .... this is a place to relax. i read 5 books.
- if the seas are too rough you cant go in the water - this hapened on our arrival and departure days. the other 4 days were perfect.
- the pool is small - not an issue if you can go in the sea. I never went in the pool
- it is rustic (I consider this a plus)
- the rock stairs are steep. do not come here if you have a hard time getting around or dont want to swim in the sea.

If it weren't for the fact that I like going away with my kids, I would be back EVERY year!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Caves earlier this month. We had a wonderful time and are planning on returning next summer. So many of the things you read in these reviews are accurate and good advice and the grounds are incredible as we imagined.

I would highly recommend booking transport through the hotel from Montego Bay. The driver was great and the ride relaxing after a couple of flights. We arrived mid-day, had lunch, got checked in and were at one of the tanning areas by 2:00pm. The thing that struck us right away was the friendliness of the other guests who were great in "showing us the ropes" including how to jump off the different ledges into the water and the Blue Hole cave.

We were in the One Drop cottage and loved it. Good size, well appointed and we loved the outdoor shower. It adds to the romance and is a different experience that you and your spouse/significant other will remember for a long time. The thing we did the first day that was helpful and I would recommend is to read the previous guests comments in the room journal. There are great tips and thoughts from guests that have stayed in that room before you.

As for the staff and food, both are just superb. . The staff is now the standard by which other places will be measured (we gladly tipped the great service before we departed), and the food is delicious and makes one look forward to every meal. If you want/need something - ask. The staff will gladly accommodate your request. We did the cave dinner and the cliffside tub, both were excellent. We also visited the spa twice and Michelle and Anna were awesome for the couples massage and other treatments received.

The Caves make it so easy to relax with the one you love and is a great chance to meet really good people, guests and staff alike! The daily routine is so easy to adapt to and the days seem to get better and better as the stay unfolds.

We are already eyeballing the calendar for next summer and have every intent of returning. Feel free to drop a line (PM me) if you have questions.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

Arrival
Walking out of the airport is a little bit intimidating. Mostly everyone is trying to hustle a product or service. We were so thankful we setup transportation beforehand with the resort. There was a guy standing there with a "Caves Resort" sign and he told us that the driver was on his way and would arrive shortly. He got us a couple of Red Stripe's and we waited. He also asked if we needed any of the 'local fare' and I wish I said no. The 'local fare' I received from him was awful. Just say no when at the airport - wait until you get out of there.

Ride to The Caves
They drive on the left hand side in Jamaica and the roads are very narrow. Our taxi driver was awesome. I let him know about the 'local fare' situation and he said he would take care of it and he came up to our room about an hour . The ride in took about 2 hours.

Arriving at The Caves
The staff upon first arrival was awesome. They gave us drinks and cold hand towels. Very nice touch. We were assigned to the "Bird's Nest" room and the staff took us on a tour and brought our bags up to the room.

The Bird's Nest
The room was very nice, however, there are some issues. No air-conditioning, quite a few bugs, bed is very firm. The view and the seclusion definitely make up for it though. You will see lizards in the room from time to time, but they want nothing to do with you. Do not be afraid of the lizards.

The Resort
There are no limits at this resort. You can do whatever you want. If you want to go make a drink yourself, go do it. If you need something, ask for it. They will accommodate any and every need.

The Food
Holy crap the food is awesome. We stayed there for 8 days so we ate the whole slate of meals. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are all amazing. Lunch and Dinner come with dessert too! If you are vegan or vegetarian they can accommodate that as well. All in all I was very impressed with the food.

The Drinks
The Caves has a full bar. Nearly every drink is available. They also have special drinks. I would recommend the following drinks - "Hummingbird", "Dirty Banana", "Chocolate Monkey". Do some "Flaming Bob Marley" shots too. Also, if you like Guinness, they have it at their other bar called "The Sands" and they will get it for you.

The Staff
"Paul" (Lifeguard, Handyman) - Paul is awesome. He can dive off the cliffs, fix sinks and he will take you out snorkeling. There is no fee for this so go do it! Tip Paul well though - he is skilled and knowledgeable.

"Imron" (Bartender, Waiter) - Imron is hilarious and smooth as silk. Imron can get anything you need. He makes the best drinks at the resort and is a pleasure to be around. He even met us at Sexy Rexy's on his day off for a few drinks. Imron is a star in the making.

"Orean" (Waiter, Bartender) - Orean is either a morning person or gets action every night. I have never seen a guy so happy in the morning. Orean is the hardest working man at the resort. He can also get anything you need.

Venturing out of the Resort
I won't lie - I was a little bit scared to leave the resort. We did though and it is safe. People will solicit you for various things, but just say you are not interested. We went to Rick's Cafe and Sexy Rexy's.

Rick's Cafe - It looks cool and inviting, but everything is overpriced and very staged. I equate Rick's Cafe to having a really hot girlfriend that is really dumb. No substance.

Sexy Rexy's - You must go to Sexy Rexy's! He is hilarious and has very good stories. You will get a real taste of Jamaica.

Overall this is the best resort we have ever been to. If you can afford it, pack your bags and go!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#6 of 89 in Negril
5.0 of 5 stars 782 reviews

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!