“Hands down the best Chef in Negril” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 155 Restaurants in Negril
Cuisines: Barbecue, Caribbean, Jamaican, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Small family run local jerk and seafood restaurant, Good Prices, Great Food..Proprietor Lenial Ennis is very pleasant host.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Hands down the best Chef in Negril”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We hit it all and this place absolutely smoked everyone. Roys, Rockhouse and yes even Presleys (all though Presleys was damn good). We hit up Leniel in literally the worst down time in Negril. Early September and Hurricane season. The reason I mention this is because during this time most restaurants keep the menu pretty limited (they tend to keep Lobster and Conch light during this time of year). We asked Leniel to put together his best dish. Boy did he ever. We have an absolutely astonishing shrimp dish with sauted vegetable. JUST AMAZING FOOD. This was all encased in the Avacado skin that he just made Guacamole from. The guacamole was hands down the best I have ever had. He put carrots, peppers and something else in the guac and it was out of site.

I am not one to go on but do yourself a favor and eat here as much as you can. The price is more than fare and twice as good as the resort restaurants.

Leniel you cook better than 99% of the chefs in Chicago, cheers buddy.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Los Angeles, CA
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My Husband and I ate here three times while visiting Negril. It was off-season so the first time when we just stopped by they only had chicken and fish but Murphy (aka Leneil Ennis) gave us his biz card and said to just call him in the morning when we wanted to come back and he'd make us whatever we wanted.

We ended up coming back twice, trying the jerk chicken pasta (boneless by my Husband's request), the jerk chicken with pumpkin mashed potatoes, tuna salad sandwich, and the fried chicken. A lot of this stuff isn't on their facebook menu - Murphy says just ask for anything and he'll make it for you. Don't be shy!

The jerk chicken pasta was amazing! My Husband and I raved about it for days. Definitely our favorite dish although all were very good. The cream sauce is so light - mmmm - now my mouth is watering.

Murphy and his cook Tony are super friendly and sat down with us to chat each night. They gave us big hugs on our last night there and we really felt as if we were leaving new friends.

I can't recommend this place highly enough. It's a great local gem which is affordable and yummy. Go! You won't be disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The Best Restaurant in Jamaica!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

If you want to relax and chat with the chef, while swinging in his handmade hammocks while you sip a Red Stripe, this is your place! We cannot say enough about Leniel and Tony. The food is beyond amazing. I had Lenny's brown stewed snapper on my first night and then curried lobster served in papaya on our second night. Both nights we were greeted like family and made ourselves right at home.

When you drive up, you will find a quaint little restaurant, make sure you call ahead to make sure he is home, during the slow season (September through the end of October), and then ask him to make you whatever you want. He will let you know what he has and can accomodate any taste for the most part. My fiance is not a spicy kind of guy and they made him chicken, grilled and prepared beautifully. Make sure if he has the pumpkin and sweet potatoe mash, that you try it! Heaven! But the brown stew fish was the best thing I think I have ever eaten.

Thanks Leniel for making us feel like family! Congratulations on your new baby boy! Kim and Joe

Visited September 2013
Saigon
“Personality, food, beer, atmosphere...real Jamaica!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My first visit to Jamaica was almost 20 years ago where I had the pleasure of meeting the Ennis family. Leniel was just a young teenager but full of personality. I have been in the restaurant game for over 15 years in the U.S., Australia and Vietnam. So it is an absolute pleasure to travel all the way from Australia and see Leniel as the owner and operator of a great little bar and restaurant. If you want to hear some great stories and witness the "real" Jamaica first hand, stop in for a Red Stripe and a good feed and spend the day with a top host. Warning...he gets a bit crazy on the rum! lol. IRIE!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
poultryking
“Took a Shot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

To make a long story short. Leniel is a great Chef!
I came in late one night(8 pm) and Leniel told me what items he had on his menu. He suggested Jerk Chicken(deviled), shrimp with Pasta and Browned stewed fish. The 8 of us ate like kings and Leniel made it worth the wait. He cooks everything fresh!
If fish is your thing he catches everything in the morning so it will be fresh.
Thanks Leniel