“Love Roots Bamboo!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Roots Bamboo

You added Roots Bamboo to your Saves list
Roots Bamboo
2.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Norman Manley BLVD, Negril, Negril 3084, Jamaica   |
Ranked #11 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Alberta Canada
“Love Roots Bamboo!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I usually give a fairly unbiased review of the places I have stayed... and I will attempt to do so here, however, I should warn the reader that we stayed at this property upon recommendation from family friends and thus were treated like family when we stayed. I am quite sure that they are very friendly to everyone (I didn't witness anything contrary) ... they just made us feel extra special!

Don't stay here if:
you don't want to meet people...especially the locals
you like your hotel nice and private... it is not
you like mass produced all-inclusive food
you need your Sealy Mattress and a fresh towel every morning
you need windows that close to block out the breeze and the surrounding noises
... you know who you are... this place is for the more adventurous travelers who don't say things like "it's not like home!". P.S. It's not supposed to be!!

The cabins: clean, spacious, shuttered screened windows (they don't close), big balcony with table and chairs, fridge, ours didn't have Air Con, but we saw some that did (but you're so close to the water, the breeze is fantastic and the ceiling fan was good enough), stand up shower - good pressure. Beds were a little hard for my liking. Pillows and sheets - good. Rustic... but certainly sufficient for the amount of time you spend in them.

The Café: GREAT (yes, I yelled that!). Everyone has different taste in food, but I never once saw anyone complain or send anything back. Hot, fresh, delicious! However, if you have not heard this before... ISLAND Time... everything comes on Island Time. Don't go anywhere starving... it's not uncommon to wait up to an hour, sometimes an hour and a half for food.

The Bar: Love Bobby the bartender! I'm sure he purposely tried to put us down one night with some extra strong Dirty Banana's.... Oh my! Good prices... lot's of fresh fruit spirits.

The Staff: Wonderful. Always helpful. Again, always on Island Time. Nothing happens in a hurry...

I don't what else I can say except that it is 20 steps to the ocean... No packing a bag just to go down to the beach. It's relaxed and unpretentious. We met a lot of the locals who were more than willing to answer all our crazy questions. Tones of restaurants and street meat vendors in either direction. Negril town, just 3 minutes away (or $5 cab ride). We picked up a few groceries for our room... the prices are not as cheap as I thought they'd be (almost the same as home).

We are already booked for 2015! Thanks Roots!!!

Room Tip: The back row is a little quieter and has less traffic.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Roots Bamboo was awesome, bartender and entire staff very friendly and welcoming. They had a live band and a bonfire; needless to say I had an awesome time. The food was very very good and I was with the most beautiful woman in the world.

• Stayed May 2013
Grand Portage, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I like Roots Bamboo as you get the true Jamaican feel. Everyone is friendly and makes you feel at home. The rooms are clean and they are quite reasonable. They are upgrading the place right now and making it even nicer. Will be back soon.

Room Tip: Room V is great which has a garden view, W and A1 are good rooms but close to the parking lot.. The...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Never had i ever experience such comfort!! When i arrived at Roots Bamboo i had a look at their rooms which were very simple but clean. I was then told of the beachfront room right on the beach. When i entered the room it was as if i had entered into a five star hotel room!! I was at home! The starfish suite was very spacious, with amenities such as a king size bed (so comfortable and regular linen changes), sofa, vanity, Wi-fi, cable T.V, telephone (all international calls free!!), air condition, ceiling fan, private balcony, my own maid, security and such great hosts, Jerry and Opia!! I mean i was spoilt! I could order my food from the kitchen(roots cafe) and they brought it straight to my room, no extra cost. Big up my server Kelly! What more can i say but if you want it simply or extremely classy, its at Roots Bamboo.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Port Dover Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Another great stay at my favorite place on GOD"S green earth.Greatest staff in all of Negril.My hosts Jerry and Opia Plummer ,two of the people that I like to call my friends and the greatest hosts in all of Jamaica. They made my stay the best so far. I had the pleasure of spending most of my stay in the new "Starfish Suite".In my opinion the best spot in all of Negril to stay it include satellite TV ,free wi-fi and wireless internet,room service and maid service and bar service delivered to my porch,.I stepped off my porch right on the beach and steps from the sea (maybe 15 steps).Anyone who walks the beach must walk by my porch.I spent lots of time giving tours of my sweet to the tourists who viewed it in awe.Roots Bamboo has the best chef on the island (Jerry) one of the owners was trained in New York and makes the best Lobster Thermadore I have ever eaten. Ms. Opia took care of anything I needed,great hosts .The only downfall is the twice weekly Reggae nights as The DJ blasts his warm up music so loud you can't hear yourself think or talk.When the band plays it;s acceptable but when it;s over back to the extremely loud bass blasting down the beach until 2 a.m..After several complaints to Ms.Denise (the other owner) she managed to get him to keep it down through dinner hour and until 9pm.On Saturday night in Negril "The Jungle blasts over volume music all night as the owner bribes the corrupt police into letting them blast their music until 6a.m. keeping most of Negril awake all night.I did however experience some very good music during my stay including the first Blues Festival at Burboun Beach Bar with artists from Downchild Blues Band,The Jeff Healey Band and several great artists including Robin Banks from London and another great Lady Singer from London Ont. who blasted some great Etta James tunes.Robin Banks plans on making it an annual event .Also saw one of my favorites :Yellow Man"a must see as he puts on a great show.Also saw Bunny Whaler and his band and listened to Sizzla at Roots.I went on a day trip with my friends Barry and Marlene and Jason and his beautiful wife to Roaring River School that Barry and Marlene have invested many $$$$ to keep it running including installing hydro and rebuilding the wooden structure into cement.We took every child a bag full of toys ,books ,crayons ,candy and clothes.We also took a hot meal for everyone in the school including the teachers and helpers..I spent one of the greatest days of my life with those beautiful children, Very emotional day and so much fun .Later we went up to the road and gave whatever we had left including the suitcases to the people up there.This was in my opinion the best day of my whole trip and made me appreciate how fortunate we are.No one should go to Jamaica without giving to the less fortunate as when you give you get so much more in return .This was one of my many great times in my favorite country and I am looking forward to returning in January 2014 GOD willing.So for a great stay I recommend Roots Bamboo where they can take care of your every need .Can;t wait for my next 6 week stay in January 2014.To all of my many friends at Roots "Soon Come"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Port Dover Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Looking forward to my return to Roots Bamboo Beach inj Negril for 5 weeks including all of February.As far as I'm concerned it is the only place to stay in all of Jamaica .I have stayed all over the island and tried all of the plans but Roots Bamboo has been my favorite since the 80's Staying there enables me to go where I want eat where I want >The family atmosphere that the staff and owners share with me is the greatest on earth. The guests all become part of the family and I have met many great new friends from all over the world. I look forward to seeing my February friends in 2013 . Can't wait to see my taxi driver Cowboy picking me up in Mo Bay and chatting with him all the way to Roots in Negril. Many old friends I can't wait to see again,and great food to eat with in my opinion the islands best chef at Roots and talk about jerk food ,they've got it all covered. When I want to go into the hills for a day or two I just let them know and they secure my room and valuables.The service is great and you can even get washing and ironing done by one of the maids at Roots.Motorcycle rental right across the road at Jah B's and I am a regular customer there as I go all over the island on a motorcycle. I have stayed at Roots too many times to count and believe me they have always taken the best of care of me.Looking forward to seeing all my Roots friends again. Cowboy Kooch

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I went to Jamaica in Jan 2012 with my girlfriends and we came across Roots Bamboo. It is a great restaurant and club. Though we didn't stay there initially we checked out their accomodations and they are clean and inexpensive rooms. I went back solo in May and plan to return in August. The people are so friendly there. And the art work you can purchase is beautiful...i purchased a few pieces from the local artist at Roots Bamboo. A bonus is that Captain Ever Ready's Snorkeling boat -- the Wild Wild West is docked right at the club. We went snorkeling everyday! Thanks Negril for an awesome stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Roots Bamboo? Share your experiences!